1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wr / te

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Dec 1, 2009.

What position is more vital to this offense?

1. WR

30 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. TE

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

What position do you think is more a priority for Chad Henne for him to continue maturing into a NFL caliber QB?

2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    he better make his bones w/ what is available to him in 2009
    Pennington had no problem, the problem is with Henne
    we go no where w/o the Franchise QB, Henne still has time
    what he doesn't have, in my book, are excuses

3. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

It absolutely HAS to be a Wr but not just any Wr. This team needs a stud sure fire number 1 Wr first and foremost......on offense.

You get that and the safeties will not be cheating up to stop the run, and by them having to keep an eye on our Wr's, the run will open up even more. Plus the middle of the field will be wide open for our TE's once in a while.

Our TE's have been asked to stay in a block so much that we really have not been able to do much with them other than that and not having a legit Wr has a lot to do with it.

I'm sure they will have their eyes on some TE's in the draft and it is a need but Wr is top priority IMO! I'm betting they try and get a Wr thru trade or free agency so they won't have to develop him. That way they can draft the biggest needs which are 50 Lb's and a possible NT....

Crappy Tipper and jetssuck like this.
  4. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    our wideouts have hardly any TDs. we need WRs, end of story.

5. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Pennington faced a much easier schedule and it's not like you can say he was all that successful as a passer. His greatest success was that he didn't turn the ball over much. Not like he was lighting it up out there and at the end of the season, it was obvious that he actually hindered our passing game more than anything, due to lack of arm strength.

It's not just Henne that needs better targets, this TEAM needs better targets if we're to be a legitimate contender. Asking Henne to just make due with what he has is a recipe for mediocrity.

CitizenSnips likes this.
  6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well color me purple....Henne doesnt look like Drew Brees 6 games in....

Actually...when you look at what happened to Tom Brady yesterday....Henne lookes alot more like him. Bums both of em...

The Dolfan and jetssuck like this.
  7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    agreed. the wide receivers and tight ends are just average at best. We need a go to guy. Theres a few good tight ends in this draft and I really hope we go for one. A top notch WR is harder to grasp but a we can 100% upgrade at TE.

8. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    TE. A good Tight End is a rookie QB's best friend.

Just think about it. Last season Flacco had Heap, while Ryan had Algie Crumpler. Drew Brees didn't really start to excel until Antonio Gates was drafted in San Diego. Eli Manning had Jeremy Shockey and Kevin Boss in New York. Romo has Witten. Matt Schaub had Owen Daniels.

You don't always need a great WR to develop into a great QB. You just need a good target.

9. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I don't think his lack of arm strength hindered the team late anymore than it did early. He is what he is and thats a good leader of an offense with an average arm. I'd blame Henning more because he was using Pennington wrong late last year. Trying to make him do what he is just not capable of.

I like the way Pennington scans the field. He knows where the routes could go due to the defenders positioning, and he does not lock onto his targets too much. He was a big reason why the team had decent success passing the ball with not much to throw to.

I like Henne's gun. He does lock onto his targets more than I like though. He, like all Qb's gets flustered when pressured but he sure showed it Sunday. However, there are times when he's one cool customer. I like that as well.

So yeah, I'm glad we have him and think he could do real well with some better targets but it would be good for him to keep studying and working so that he can also make some average Wr's better.

jetssuck likes this.
  10. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think it's a clear cut case of which one do we need. It's all about what options we are presented with in the offseason and then getting the best value that we can, whether that ends up being at WR or TE. Maybe we'll get both :lol: Jermaine Gresham and Brandon Marshall :drool:

jetssuck likes this.
  11. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    [​IMG]

12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Fasano had 5 catches for 74 yards Sunday
    Not bad

13. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

For the record I voted TE.

So long as we can keep our run game going and our 2nd and 3rd downs manageable if we have a stud TE we can use him the majority of the time which would draw defenders inward and we know we can throw the short stuff to some of the guys on the outside.

I like our offense the way it is. I know Ireland talked about chunk yardage and sparano did too, but I don't necessarily think they want that 24/7 just during appropriate times or maybe a bail out situation.

gafinfan likes this.