1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WR's who make the team

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    To go on the season PUP list you have to first be placed on the camp PUP list. Teams have to declare the camp PUP list prior to the start of camp. For instance, Jonas Gray went on the camp NFI (non-football injury) list which also had to be declared prior to the start of camp. It has to be a straight hand-off, too. You can't come off the camp PUP list and then go on the season PUP list. You have to go directly from camp PUP list to season PUP list, which means you never practiced during camp.

Jonas Gray has a chance of going straight from the camp NFI list to the season PUP list or NFI list (think the same rules apply) but that's the only player.

2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Crap. Now I am more concerned about Hartline's rubbery *** and legs. The last thing we want is to carry a dinged-up WR who doesn;t fully contribute, but costs another young guy a spot. Oh well.

Gray coming back mid-season could be a relief if injuries have dinged up Daniel Thomas or Lamar Miller by then. Don;t you think Gray was a better fit for a Sparano offense than a WCO though, despite him coming in this year?

Bess
    Hartline
    The Nanny or Ocho
    Wallace
    Fuller
    Pruitt

I think STs will warrant Pruitt's inclusion. I also think the problem with Gates is he doesn't sound motivated and hungry enough. I'd cut him on that basis alone.

Hey, how about a Training Camp Sig now, CK? You always have interesting sigs.

3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Hartline has yet to practice in training camp, correct? If so, and this injury thing lingers, putting him on PUP would make sense, IMO. If he hasn't participated in practice yet, I'm kind of surprised he hasn't already been placed on PUP, unless the coaches are sure he'll be out there practicing soon.

4. MrClean

I wasn't sure about that part. I was of the belief the only requirement to be placed on PUP in camp was not having participated in any practices.

5. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    i dont want to give up on Gates just for one year of Naanee. some roster decisions need to be made with a long term outlook in mind. thats why sorry *** John Jerry made the roster last year even though he was horrible in camp and did nothing on the field, similar to Gates, but the difference between the two is Gates is actually unique in a way, Jerry isnt.

this WR corps is already lacking regardless of who the final 5/6 are, but if you dont keep Gates then this group isn't as versatile, you'd be limiting the number of ways they can attack a defense.

6. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I thought Hartline tried to go for a few plays the first day of TC. I might be wrong though.

MrClean likes this.
  7. MrClean

As for the WR contingent, I see it like this.
    The only 100% sure fire lock IMO, is Bess. Though guys like Chad and Hartline are very likely, perhaps I'd say 80% chance of making it. Better than a 50/50 chance IMO Naanee makes it. Darren Rizzi said last year that Pruitt is the best ST player he's ever coached. I think we can pretty much count on him making it. What with all the positives we've heard on Fuller so far, and his familiarity with the system I think he's the next most likely. So:
    1. Bess
    2. Chad
    3. Hartline
    4. Pruitt
    5. Naanee
    6. Fuller

8. MrClean

That's probably the case then. Wonder if DJ could shed some light on it? Hartline had to pass a physical before camp, along with everyone else, so I'd guess the appendectomy is no longer an issue. Those are done usually by a scope these days, so not really invasive surgery. I had it back in 1994, and they went in with a scope through my belly button. No scar or anything. So, the leg injury must be just a brand new fluke kind of thing. That would be my guess. If he had the leg injury before his pre camp physical, I doubt they'd have passed him.

9. gandalfin

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Just went back and reviewed DJ's day 1 notes. Indeed, Hartline was practicing for a good while, made a few plays, but DJ mentioned about Hartline being a little "rubbery" and a little off. He must have tweaked something at the end of that day or early the second day as DJ doesn't even mention him in the day 2 report.

MrClean likes this.
  10. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Well, not much love for Marlon Moore it seems. Guessing he's done here.

11. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    1. Chris "Hulk" Hogan
    2. BJ Cunningham
    3. Edmund Gates
    4. Rishard Matthews
    5. Jeff Fuller

ckparrothead likes this.
  12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    We have only had 4 practices....but I agree he is likely a goner.

Bpk likes this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah he came out with the ones, took a reverse, went deep on one and just looked slow..the reverse was pitiful, so maybe he tweaked something before..

He was working on some resistance drills so I don't expect him to be long..

MrClean and gandalfin like this.
  14. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    1. Johnson
    2. Fuller
    3. Bess
    4. Gates
    5. Pruitt

PS one of the late picks makes it here. I think Hartline gets traded. His situation reminds me of Camarillo before he was traded. IIRC Camarillo didn't play much if at all that preseason before he was traded prior to the start of the season for Sapp. I'm not sure Hartline fits the system.

15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I think a healthy Hartline starts at split end with #1 potential....but he needs to be healthy or their may not be a spit for him here. What a great preseason we are in for, so much to be evaluated.

16. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think you're crazy. Camarillo we knew he had a lot of limitations. I don't see those same limitations in Hartline. Just IMO.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    As has been stated, this is kind of pointless at this stage, because it's impossible to tell.

Not least of the reasons is because how these players do in preseason will affect which players can be expected to sneak onto the practice squad and which you know you won't be able to hide.

If Jeff Fuller looks good in preseason you WILL NOT be able to sneak him onto the practice squad. There really are scouts and teams that had 1st round watch grades on him prior to 2011. You can bet they've heard that he's turned a few heads in camp.

Mexphin, Bpk and Fin-Omenal like this.
  18. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Do you think we could sneak Matthews or Cunningham onto the practice squad?

19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Agreed. He either makes this 53 ( wich he will IMO) or he will be on another one.

20. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I expect a receiver not currently on the roster to be on it as the season starts.

ckparrothead likes this.
  21. Bpk

That's what I thought. Guess I'm wrong, or the new CBA changed it.

22. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Bess
    Hartline
    Johnson
    Gates (they likely won't give up on him this quickly)
    Wallace (groomed him too long to just give up now)
    Fuller (doubt Sherman doesn't keep his own kid, someone familiar with Tannehill)

Everyone else, who can, will go to the practice squad IMO.

23. Bpk

Agree... but it hurts to see Wallace go. I feel like he is finally improving and he is huge, and fast as hell for his size.

24. Bpk

Who would trade for an injured average WR?

25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    In '08, we threw 6th rounder Jalen Parmalee on the PS. I'm guessing that happens with Cunningham & Matthews.
    If Naanee can't break our top 3, he should be cut IMO.

My interpretation of Wallace, Pruitt, and Moore is that Ireland has been hoping one of the 3 rise up. IMO this could be the year that 2 go packing (or at least head back to the PS).

26. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    If a Packer Phibin really likes is cut then I would agree, collectively I feel like we have a lot to work with at the position. I know I'm in the minority but I feel our system will define the WRs not the other way around.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes. At this moment, either one without problem. Probably Fuller as well. But after preseason games? Different story.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Very possible

29. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Don't underestimate the pressure on the veteran receivers to make the roster. Most argue pressure regarding the young guys.

30. Mexphin

Mexphin Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    Ensenada, Mexico
    The thing here is that letting aside CJ85, Hartline and Bess, the numbers of the veteran receivers dont scare anybody:

Wallace: 6 Receptions for 62 yds in 2 seasons
    Pruitt: 0 receptions for 0 yds in 2 seasons
    Moore: 6 receptions for 128 yds in 2 seasons
    Nanee: 107 receptions for 1213 yds and 4 td in 6 seasons
    Hogan: Practice squad activity only
    Gates: 2 receptions for 19 yds and 0 td in 1 season

I dont mean they should be cut now but it is time for some of the guys to rise up or it is not goning to be that hard for 1 or 2 of the rooks to take their place. It is good to hear/read that Fuller has been doing it ok so far, i expect that either Mathews or BJ start making some noise too.

31. MrClean

It depends on how they perform the rest of camp and in the preseason games.

32. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Am I the only one who thinks Hartline could/should be the odd man out?

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  33. gandalfin

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    IMO, it depends on how much more time he misses. He's been out an awful lot between the appendectomy and the current injury. If it wasn't a completely new offense being installed this wouldn't be a big deal, but that's not the case. If he get's back by next week, then I don't think he could or should be out, but there will come a time when they will have to make some difficult decisions about their WR's.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Do we actually know if some of the other receivers we've had for a bit suck or not? I mean its obvious the past regime wasn't very good at developing offensive skill positions nor did they seem particularly fond of passing in general. Basically, have we seen enough tape and evidence to say guys like Wallace, Pruitt or even Bess are what we think they are...or could they be a whole lot better than we thought and it just didn't come through in Tony Threepoints' offense?

ToddPhin likes this.
  35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I think Fuller will regain his 2010 form that merited 1st round potential. It's not like he's blown out a wheel or something of that serious nature; the talent's still there. Heck, he still made some 1st round caliber plays last year IMO.

When his mind is focused it seems like he can do just about anything, so perhaps not having him on the field constantly will allow him to make a bigger and more consistent impact when he is on the field. Just a thought.

36. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    no :shifty:

37. MrClean

He played through hamstring and concussion issues in 2011. He suffered a stress fracture in his foot at the Senior Bowl practices, which kept him from doing anything but the bench press at the combine.
    He has fine physical tools, and the receiving ability. He has an NFL pedigree. His dad was such a hard hitter it led Ronnie Lott to say he was the best in that regard he'd ever seen. I'm pretty sure his physical nature and disregard for personal preservation led to his having only about 5 years in the league. A spinal injury ended the career early of Jeff Sr.

calfishman and ToddPhin like this.
  38. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I don't think he can stay healthy in this system. That's just it. He's not a fit. His RAC ability is limited. The expectation is that the Philbin/Sherman offense is going to ask receivers to catch the ball on slants, quick release passes, over the middle and that's not something Hartline can do consistently without getting destroyed.

I'll agree with that. The two are different, but their training camp situations are similar... new regime, new quarterbacks, new system, both receivers have been (were) limited in training camp. Now their salary situation is different. Camarillo had just signed a new contract the season before. Hartline is a free agent next year. But we were able to dump Cam's contract on Spielman and the Vikings.

MrClean and PhinsRDbest like this.
  39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You know what's funny about this wide receivers unit? Let's say Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Chad Johnson, Julius Pruitt and Jeff Fuller make the team. Let's say that in reality, Jeff Fuller is more the #4 receiver than Julius Pruitt, who is "the best special teams player" Darren Rizzi says he ever coached.

WR Davone Bess: 4.64
    TE Anthony Fasano: 4.72

WR Chad Johnson: 4.57
    TE Charles Clay: 4.69

WR Jeff Fuller: 4.53
    TE Michael Egnew: 4.48

WR Brian Hartline: 4.52
    TE Les Brown: 4.43

Average WR: 4.565
    Average TE: 4.580

Our tight ends unit is practically just as fast as our wide receivers unit, lol.

ToddPhin likes this.
  40. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ck, where did you get that 4.52 from fuller? Just curious.