1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WR's who make the team

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Jul 31, 2012.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Do you not include strength and position specific physique as part of having a great skillset?

ToddPhin likes this.
  2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Yeah, we should instead be listening to you, the Skins fan, who watches more Miami games and follows more on the team's practices than we do. :sigh:

Having all the ability in the world means little if you can't play with that ability on the field. So far, his only physical asset on the field has been speed.

I think you're perhaps confusing track with football; the one Gates plays is with the oval shaped brown thing. Just b/c he's a Dolphin doesn't mean we have to be subjective when talking about him.

Bpk likes this.
  3. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Victor Cruz is 6'0 204, far from small, and he's far from out-physicaled on the field. The guy plays like he's 6'2, 220.
    Gates so far has played like he's 5'7 165, and not in the DeSean Jackson sense. Gates doesn't have the speed that Ginn had, and look where that got Teddy Scared of Shadows Cant Beat Press (his Native Indian name).

Bpk likes this.
  4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Phinsational..glad you chose this site.

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  5. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Thanks DJphinfan.

6. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Regarding Hartline [and I mean no disrespect to any posters here] but where is the Jordy Nelson comparison (or potential for a Jordy-like break out season) coming from?
    It seems like people are using their whiteness, forty times, lateral speed, route running ability, and coach Philbin as the means to make this comparison, but in reality, comparing Hartline to Jordy is like comparing Hartline to Dez Bryant b/c that's who Jordy's physical & natural ability has more in common with.

MrClean likes this.
  7. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Look at their first 3 seasons.

8. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Respectfully, that doesn't necessarily translate to anything. There are tons of receivers throughout history who had similar first 3 seasons and it remained that way,no?
    Their respective skill sets have less in common than more.

9. edromeo

edromeo New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Do you even read my posts or just gloss over them?Because you have yet to argue a point that i've actually made.
    Rather you create a strawmen then argue against your construct of my opinion.

Here is what I've already said:

This is really comical.
    People denying that Gates has an above average physical skillset for a WR.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I have jordy Nelson as a top 15 wide receiver in the league..I don't see the comparison..

ToddPhin likes this.
  11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

IMO, being Caucasian WRs in the NFL is the extent of similarities between Nelson and Hartline.

PSG and ToddPhin like this.
  12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Well, if part of his physical skill set is preventing the other part from shining through, then just how great is it really? It's like saying I'd be a great public speaker if I didn't have this stammer, which is essentially what Gates displayed last year.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He's missing size and strength, does that need to be a part of what we label "Great", when it comes to skillset.?

I thought Russell Wilson had a great skillset when he was coming out, still do..but the only thing that kept him from being a top 10 pick was his height, nothing else IMO, so maybe the word depends on who is expressing it and how specific you are about your interpretation of the word.

ToddPhin likes this.
  14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Exactly.
    Nelson had the underlying talent & potential TO HAVE a breakout season like he did last year. The guy is big & physical, and he plays like it. His vision, field awareness, body control, balance, ball skills, strength, and physicality are in a completely different league than Hartline's. Jordy can take a quick hitch, juke the corner, and then stiff arm the safety into eating dirt en route to the endzone. When Hartline catches a quick hitch my first thought is---- "uh oh, I hope this isn't a fumble".
    If Dez Bryant could stay healthy and polish his route running, he'd have a season like Nelson's 2011 IMO. That's just not happening with Hartline, unfortunately.

Correct me if I'm wrong but typically isn't it the lack of a developed & polished skill set that holds a receiver back from a breakout season [if he has the natural talent already present]? Hartline has minimal ceiling left IMO b/c his skill set is already refined for the most part; it's his natural ability holding him back, and it's not like he can will himself into becoming something he's not or else there'd be Calvin Johnsons & Mike Wallaces all around the league, no? IMO Hartline has a very average skill set and is a great receiver to have as a #4 or #5 or in an offense that features an imposing #1 to draw coverage (as someone else already pointed out). IMO, he's also better suited for a Peyton Manning than a Ryan Tannehill. He's a receiver who will always put up decent stats b/c defenses will never have to game plan to take him out of it, making him more of an afterthought. I'm not saying he's a bum by any means; on the contrary he's a dependable route runner who can help move the chains..... but he's not nor will ever be a playmaker, and if we're to often be utilizing 2 [and even 3] TEs (meaning only 1 or 2 WRs on the field at times) then those 1 or 2 WRs need to be playmakers as far as I'm concerned.

If a WR goes down easier than a toddler with Meniere's & Blount disease walking barefoot across an ice skating rink, then playmaker is likely not in the cards, know what I mean. :trytofly:

:couch:

MrClean likes this.
  15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    This is essentially how I look at Hartline: If Wallace, Gates, Fuller, Moore, and Pruitt could develop their skill set (route running and understanding of the game) to 3/4ths of Hartline's, Brian would likely not be on the roster, IMVHO.

16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I think that could qualify as the metaphor of the decade.

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Byroan, what do you feel would be the ideal role for Hartline here if you don't mind me genuinely asking?

18. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    To me it's just the superlatives used in your evaluation, relative though they may be, are what made me and apparently others take issue. I can't get on board with incredible. Great skillset is closer. Above average I can go along with.

ToddPhin likes this.