1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Files 2 Movie

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by ILPhinFan88, Mar 27, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

X-Files Trailer Previewed

Chris Carter, who co-wrote and directed the upcoming X-Files sequel film, offered fans a glimpse at a rough cut of the trailer for the movie, which featured the new tagline "Believe Again."

Screened at the William S. Paley Television festival in Hollywood on March 26, the trailer featured a bit of dialogue between Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson):

Mulder: "Scully. I need you on this with me."

Scully: "I know. That's what scares me."

It featured quick cuts of footage of uniformed men searching a snowfield, led by a white-haired man played by Billy Connolly; someone dragging a body; Mulder in a car being hit by another vehicle; a glimpse of cast member Callum Keith Rennie; Scully hitting someone over the head with a blunt object; the discovery of a body buried in ice; and other images, some of which were also previewed at WonderCon in San Francisco last month.

The trailer ends with a voiceover bit of dialogue between Connolly's character and Mulder as viewers see an image of Mulder and Scully climbing out of a helicopter:

Connolly's voice: "Do you believe in these kind of things?"

Mulder's voice: "Let's just say I want to believe."

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=51150

2. ILPhinFan88

Chris Carter, who co-wrote and directed the upcoming X-Files sequel film, offered fans a few tantalizing spoilers for the movie, while his writing partner, Frank Spotnitz, said it would remain true to the show's mythology even though it is a stand-alone story.

In a panel at the William S. Paley Television Festival in Hollywood on March 26, Carter told fans that they will learn bit about what happened to William, the baby of Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson), who was given up for adoption in the show's ninth and final season. "It will not go unconsidered in the movie," Carter said.

Carter also revealed why the sequel still does not have a title. "I can't tell you [what it is]," Carter said in response to a question. "Because I don't know, really. I know what I want it to be, but Fox has ideas of their own. And I know what it should be."

Spotnitz said that the movie will pick up the story of Mulder and Scully six years after the events in the show's finale, which aired in 2002. "In the movie, we wanted it to work for non-fans as well as fans," Spotnitz said. "But we were determined for the fans to honor all the work that these guys did on the series and all the love that people had for the show over the years. And so I think you'll see that, while this not a mythology movie, it's true to everything that's come before. It's true to Mulder and Scully, who they are, where they would be at this point in their lives and all of the experiences that they've had."

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=51151

3. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I'm looking forward to it...love me some X-Files. BEST.SHOW.EVER! :up:

4. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I hope that they milk the X-files while they can. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson aren't getting any younger and unless they clone (wouldn't that be ironic?), no one else could do it.

5. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    :up::up: I can't agree more. I absolutely love x-files I loved the show up till about time mulder left and it lost some of its pizazz but its a great show none the less. Watch it nearly daily.

Phinperor likes this.
  6. ILPhinFan88

Director and co-writer Chris Carter has revealed that the title for the new "X-Files" movie will be The X-Files: I Want to Believe. 20th Century Fox signed off on the title Wednesday.

The title is a familiar phrase for fans of the series that starred David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson as FBI agents chasing after aliens and supernatural happenings. "I Want to Believe" was the slogan on a poster Duchovny's UFO-obsessed agent Fox Mulder had hanging in the cluttered basement office where he and Anderson's Dana Scully worked.

"It's a natural title," Carter said. "It's a story that involves the difficulties in mediating faith and science. 'I Want to Believe.' It really does suggest Mulder's struggle with his faith."

Carter said he settled on "I Want to Believe" from the time he and co-writer Frank Spotnitz started on the screenplay. It took so long to go public with it because studio executives wanted to make sure it was a marketable title, he said.

The X-Files: I Want to Believe hits theaters on July 25

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=44148

Vengeful Odin and Phinperor like this.
  7. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Plot details released.

Phinperor, gafinfan and ILPhinFan88 like this.
  8. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

FANtasTIC! Great show and movie.

9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Apparently the movie is more along the lines of monster of the week, rather than a conspiracy deal.

When 2012 rolls around, I wonder if they'll film a concluding movie.

10. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I love X-Files, I can't wait.

11. ILPhinFan88

12. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Thanks brotha, I can't wait for this movie! :hi5:

13. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
  14. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I cant believe they actually made a second movie. I gave up hope for it a few years ago, Im glad they finally got it done. I cant wait until 7/25!

15. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    This Friday! I cant wait. After TDK, this is my most anticipated film. Ohhh boyyyyyyyy

16. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Aintitcool.com had a bad review of it up, but the asshat reviewer predicated his review on the basis that he couldn't enjoy the TV show until he realized it was camp. Whatev. :rolleyes:

17. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    they are a little late for my blood in making this movie. i was really starting to get into the x-files shortly before the first movie come out as my wife was a hardcore fan of the show. but to me mulder's(sp) obsession with finding a actual alien or i should say his obsession with finding someone else that actually saw one kinda ended in the first movie.

now if they wouldn't have canceled the show shortly after the movie or atleast would still be playing reruns it might have me alittle more excited and curious but where do you go from the first movie from the plot of the series(them looking for truth that aliens exist,waiting to see if the 2 would kiss and fall in love). seems the second will be more political coverup stuff and now that mulder and scully are no longer agents more than a "scooby doo 2" i think i'll wait till this comes to video or maybe even longer.

18. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    X-Files reruns are on Sci Fi during the day and night. :wink2:

19. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    They shouldve canceled it after season 7, because after that the writing took a serious dive(it was already weaker in season 6 and 7). Had talented writers like Glen Morgan, Darin Morgan, James Wong, among others, stayed on, the show wouldve stayed stellar. But Carter seemed to lost the intrigue of the mythology by introducing William(the baby) and the Super Soldiers. I dont think the introduction of Doggett was a bad thing though, Robert Patrick is a damn good actor and found a way to fit in the show. Hopefully, this movie will be good and propel the XF back to people's memories of it being one of the smartest, most interesting and inventive shows ever on television.

20. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    did not know that..interesting. i usually dont watch the sci-fi as much as my wife does so i never really noticed..normally if i do turn to sci-fi theres not much on(for my taste).:no:

21. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    any word on who wrote this one?

22. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    nevermind that..i just woke up "cris carter co-wrote"

23. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Cris Carter had the script written back in 2004, but it went through production hell. FOX and Carter had a dispute about many things concerning the film.

24. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    :yahoo: today is the day!

FinSane likes this.
  25. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Mrs. Odin and I picked up the Revelations set a few weeks ago. The set has 8 handpicked episodes that are supposed to relate to the movie. Not sure how true that was, but it was a nice way to get back into the series. We're going to the evening show tonight. I'm actually pretty excited, and I know she is too.

26. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Wish my wife was into the show. She'd rather go see Step Brothers...:pity:

27. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Im hoping to see it tonight. Maybe ill catch Step Brothers too.

28. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Just got back. It was....meh. It started off good, but kinda, rushed by the end. C+

Phinperor likes this.
  29. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    :sad: well that's certainly disappointing to hear, plan to check it out this upcoming week sometime.

30. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Dont get me wrong, its was good. Lots of good stuff for us X-Philes, and a good surprise towards the end. A special appearance if you will. But all-in-all, it didnt really feel like an X-File. You'll see what I mean. I wont post any spoilers until more people have seen the movie.

31. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I just checked this out as well. I'll have a review up in a little bit.

32. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    What grade would you give it?

33. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I Want To Believe

Going to the theater to see the latest X-File movie is a bit like going to a class reunion to see that person you awkwardly broke up with in high school. Sure, some of the memories are good, but you still have those painful memories of how things ended up. There's no denying that David Duchovney and Gillian Anderson are still perfect as Mulder and Scully, even all these years later, but sadly there's just not that much else in the movie that is all that exciting.

The movie trades in the big action sequences of the first feature films and tries to take the story back to a more classical tone, as a murder-mystery. The story isn't tied to the complex mythology at all, which is a good thing, as the series has been off the year for 6 years, and we haven't seen Fox and Dana working at the FBI in over 8 years. There's a lot that has happened in that time - I'm sure there's things about the mythology that I've forgotten myself. That said, the film probably could have benefitted from a few more action pieces, as the only real sequence of note is a footrace scene that has a dissatisfying conclusion.

Carter may have been better served handing the reigns to a more experienced film director, because some of the riskier directorial choices don't exactly pan out.
    We're introduced to an abducted FBI agent in the first scene, and the events of the first and second acts are about finding her and saving her. Indeed, that's why Mulder is called back to the FBI in the first place. Carter chooses to kill her off in the middle of the second act. It's a bold choice, possibly the audience to feel as Scully does - that the case is over, and it's time to go back to the way things were before. It's easy to lose an audience when making a choice like this. I don't know if Carter was smart enough to do this or not, but it's a strange choice nonetheless.
    The end of the movie feels rushed to a conclusion, and lacks some of the suspense found in the earlier TV episodes.
    I was disappointed that the second girl - the one that only Mulder cared about - had her head partially severed and we cut away from her, assuming Scully is going to work her magic and sew her up. We don't even see her thanking anyone, she's immediately forgotten as the film concludes.
    It's clear that Carter still has plenty of scary stories up in his imagination, but the hodge-podge of ideas presented onscreen come off as disjointed and discombobulated. I just wish he would have taken the time to sort the movie's concepts out and streamline them. I want to believe, I just need to know what it is that I'm believing. It's rare that I find myself wanting the film to both slow down and clarify itself, but the plotline of the movie had me doing just that.

Mulder and Scully carry the movie, as they should. It's clear that Duchovney and Anderson have resigned themselves to these characters - there's no escaping it, I guess. It's also great to see them onscreen again.
    I thought they had been broken up. That was the vibe I got from the first part of the movie, and they're suddenly in bed together.
    Xzibit and Amanda Peet are tolerable, although I actually wouldn't have minded seeing Robert Patrick in Xzibits role. There's a nicely placed (although not completely unexpected) cameo in the third act. Billy Connely does a sufficiently creepy job as Father Joe. Oh, and fellas, there's a nice easter egg if you decide to stick it out all the way through the credits.

Overall the X-Files: I Want To Believe tries to take the story and characters back to their roots. For the most part, it succeeds in doing this. Unfortunately the story weakens as the film continues, slowing down to crawl before ending suddenly. It's a bit disjointed at times, but there's no denying that Fox and Scully still have "it." That said, a lot of time has passed since the series ended. I'm just not sure the fan base of X-Philes is still out there to support it. This film is probably destined to get crushed by The Dark Knight (and the opening Step Brothers doesn't help), but I expect it to do well in DVD sales. Overall, not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination, but not a homerun, either. 3.5 stars out of 5, although, as an X-Files fan, I really want to give it 4.

FinSane likes this.
  34. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Sums up my feelings to a tee. I guess I was expecting it to be more "bang!", but it just wasnt there.
    I expected it to be a monster of the week type, but it wasnt even that. Im not sure what exactly makes the story an X-File. IT couldve been a thriller movie by any other name, I dont know, besides Mulder and Scully being in it, what makes this story paranormal?
    I dont mind giving M&S developed characterizations, but the story is what hurts the overall film. Even Connelly's character Father Joe I have a problem with.
    His character was really underused and almost abandoned halfway through.
    And the use of
    Skinner as a surprise cameo, is used way too late and given nothing to do but hug Mulder. Even he seems as if he feels out of place here.
    M&S will always be great characters and you cannot deny the chemistry between David and Gillian, its still there. But I think given the weak story, they seem out of place here.
    An FBI agent goes missing and Mulder is needed? Out of all their agents there, what specialties of Mulder's is needed here? There is no paranormal element to speak of.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  35. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah ... feels almost like it's too little, too late. Like I said, I have a feeling this film is going to get crushed by the Dark Knight.

Of all the things to bring back Mulder on, I found myself asking (especially after the plot was revealed), this is it? They wipe his record clean because of one missing FBI agent? Maybe it's because he was the best criminal profiler they'd seen, pre X-Files. I found myself looking for something paranormal, or anything that tied to the series at all.

At least Scully's still hot, even after all these years.

36. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Yea, once again, were in complete agreement here. It was great that they threw in some inside joke stuff in there, but other than that, the whole film seemed kind of silly.

37. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Here's hoping the movie (and DVD release) do well enough to merit a third film, so they can wrap the series proper. I'd love to see an all out, crazy action/sci fi movie set in the year 2012.

38. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Ya thats what Cris Carter said, if sales are strong enough(of course), there will be a third and it will tie up loose ends left after "The Truth". But after seeing this film, it makes me wonder why did they bother with this story? Carter couldve done this independant of the TXF and it probably couldve worked. I wouldve been happy even if this wasnt a mythology ep, but it wasnt even moster of the week material. I still think its an ok film, but I left the theater dissapointed. Im worried that the easter egg at the end(along with the way M&S embrace at the closing of the movie) signals that there might not be a third. :sad: