1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xavien Howard - 5yr. Ext. - Highest Paid CB in the NFL

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, May 9, 2019.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/xavien-howard-18986/

For those concerned about the contract, here are the details via Sportrac.

2019: 10.25m cap hit (27.9m dead money if cut)
    2020: 13.25m cap hit (17.5m dead money if cut)
    2021: 13.50m cap hit (4.20m dead money if cut)
    2022: 14.38m cap hit (2.80m dead money if cut)
    2023: 13.40m cap hit (1.40m dead money if cut)
    2024: 12.25m cap hit (zero dead money)

So, not only does the cap hit not explode over the years like many contracts, it actually gets smaller in the last two years. So if Howard stays healthy, he's actually likely going to be quite the bargain during the second half of the deal. And if he does suddenly fall off of a cliff in ability, then the team can cut him with few consequences starting as early as 2021! Its a really good job by the team, frankly.

Pauly and resnor like this.
  2. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    While I generally don't like big contracts, this is one I can get behind.

X has done literally everything you want out of a prospect and is an elite talent. He's in his prime and brings attitude and swagger to the defense.

AGuyNamedAlex and resnor like this.
  3. Miamiforlife

Miamiforlife Active Member

Jan 3, 2019
    It’s Moves like this that gives me more confidence in my new team. Since the shula days. I really feel we are about to be a top contender. If flores really was in charge on the New England defense? Than we are going to-be a great team soon. I am on full board till i see a reason not to be. I am a true fan (fanatic) tho. I rooted for all past fins till they suck. Really good feeling about our current coaches.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  4. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

5. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Interesting take suggesting this is a somewhat team-friendly contract by virtue of locking a player in for years to come but IDK when he says Howard "may regret this." If his logic is that in 2-3 years a $13M/yr salary won't seem like big money because of the inflation of the salary cap I kind of doubt that.

I think Howard will be plenty happy as the years go by. And if he's not, that says a lot about whether he's a real team leader or just a hired gun.

Nobody gets to renegotiate every year. I think this is a deal that works for both sides. Howard chose to take a little less per year in order to secure a longer contract and a place in Miami. And if 3 years in he wants to be traded and makes a stink, he's got a relatively friendly deal which will increase the number of suitors.

Everything about this deal seems to work for both sides. It really seems like a win-win.

AGuyNamedAlex and resnor like this.
  6. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Been awhile! Life gets busy :)