1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xavien Howard - Sports Illustrated Article

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by OwesOwn614, Sep 17, 2021.

1. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    I'm really glad Xavien Howard's situation resolved the way it did. He's a different beast than your typical football player. Below are his presser from this week (where the reporters surprisingly asked him football questions and got him to open up) and also a tweet linking to a fantastic Sports Illustrated article from Greg Bishop. The article is too long to paste here. I found both to be worth my time.

KeyFin and Galant like this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I just read the whole article and I agree- definitely worth reading. It's crazy to think that he led the league in picks and also dropped 4 or 5 of them throughout the year!

Sports Illustrated provides real journalism...I am a huge fan of them since it's a dying art!

OwesOwn614 and Ronnie Bass like this.
  3. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Yeah, there are too many blogs that fans mistake for journalistic outlets. Blogs are cool enough but the best thing they provide is linkage to actual interviews and articles about the stories they're discussing (if they're more than just fan-run cheerleading outlets).

I no longer subscribe to SI but I wonder if that article will be in their print edition?

KeyFin likes this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I thought about ordering a year of SI while I was on the site reading it, and I've had probably a dozen or more subscriptions to them across my lifetime. But I'm just not enough of a generalist sports fan where I like reading about a random baseball or football player for a team I don't follow. I love that sort of thing on Real Sports but it's just not the same in print....at least for me.

In any case, I still love and respect SI. If they had a beat writer covering the Fins and all things Miami, I would quickly be a subscriber.

5. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Personally, I'm now a digital addict when it comes to sports, news, and information. I love books and magazines that I can hold and even though I can read a Sports Illustrated cover to cover, the convenience of getting my information online makes them inconvenient.

Which is a shame because nothing relaxes me more than a quiet space and a good book.

The funny thing is that the internet has made most of us both smart and stupid. Smart because if you're like me, you know more about the Dolphins than you've ever known (and there's always more to find out). Stupid because when I used to purchase NFL yearbooks, after reading about the Phins, I'd read and learn something about the rest of the league's teams. Now, I don't care to know much about anybody other than our rivals and upcoming opponents. I'm pennywise and pound foolish.

KeyFin and Puka-head like this.