1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yahoo! grades Dolphins draft an A-

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Boone, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Boone

Boone Kentucky Wildcats

Apr 14, 2010
    Kentucky
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-20100425_ravens_patriots_stand_out_on_draft_weekend

Landing Brandon Marshall robbed the Dolphins of their second-round pick this year and next but they were able to gain it back by shrewdly dealing down in the first round. Seven of the Dolphins’ eight picks came on a defense in need of being overhauled. Jared Odrick(notes) projects outside in the Dolphins’ “30” front. Koa Misi(notes) could provide a much-needed pass rush at the OLB position, and A.J. Edds(notes) (fourth round) and Chris McCoy(notes) (sixth round) have developmental potential as ‘backers as well. John Jerry(notes) perfectly fits the Dolphins’ power running game and could be plugged in to play readily, although mental mistakes and missed assignment may not disappear. CB Nolan Carroll(notes) and SS Reshad Jones(notes) have upside but will require considerable coaching and may never figure it out. Former Ohio State LB Austin Spitler(notes) has special-teams potential. Odrick, Misi and Jerry all fit the Dolphins very well and could contend for starting jobs. As risky as trading for Marshall and awarding him with a big contract might have been, Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland get a plus for maneuvering around the draft board to regain picks, filling needs, matching scheme-fits and coming out of the draft with three potential starters and a big-play receiver.
    Grade: A-minus

eric, dolfan22, the 23rd and 4 others like this.
  2. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Now that grade is a little more like it. IDK what Kiper was thinking. Maybe he's Bills fan or something.

3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Koa Misi seems to be the big question mark in everybody's mind when it comes to grading our draft. I hope his coach wasn't just blowing smoke when he said he's a more natural OLB than DE.

4. NJFinsfan23

NJFinsfan23 New Member

Apr 24, 2010

So then what is the general opinion on Koa? Do we want him as a DE or OLB?

I thought he was drafted to play OLB???

5. Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    He played DT @ 275lbs. He played DE @ 256lbs. He played OLB @ 241lbs. He's fast. He's tough as nails. He has a high "Football IQ".
    Play him anywhere he fits and he will excel.

dolfan22 likes this.
  6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it all looks good to me. coach 'em up & turn 'em lose

7. Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Yes, I have a "Man-Crush" on Koa Misi. I was thrilled when the UTES picked him up. He was one of my favorite players on some very very good UTE defenses. He's going to be a highly productive and popular pro. PHINS fans should be excited to see him play. He's a stud.

dolfan22 likes this.
  8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    agreed

9. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    I loved the Misi pick. If you haven't seen him play you cannot appreciate this guy. Hes all over the field and he makes plays. He might not get every sack, but the QB is going to know hes there and hes going to be doing things a split second earlier than he might have otherwise. Misi is going to be a very good player for us. I'll say this...I like this pick WAAAAAYYYY more than I liked the Sean Smith pick last year...and Smith worked out about the way I thought he would. Ok in coverage, not so great in run support. Misi is a player. Next year, I think hes going to be a game changer. You guys remember Kevin Greene from the Steelers? You soon will.

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    this team is built on character, aggression, size, speed, talent & a little bit meanness mixed in w/sheer brutality. Misi is a fit.

11. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I loved the Misi pick, he will be a beast.

12. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    We did draft him for outside linebacker, I just haven't seen any film on the guy since I only have youtube to watch. I just read a blurb somewhere about his coach gushing about how he was best suited to play OLB...And we know how coaches can get about their players. Apparently Paterno thinks Odrick is the equivalent of the best lineman in Penn State's history!

13. AdamL

AdamL New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    that's very nice.

14. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You know this whole idea that we somehow got our 2nd round pick back by trading down strikes me as funny. We didn't get that pick back. We would have had two 2nd rounders if we had not traded for Marshall.

15. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    No we wouldn't cause the team wouldn't have traded down that far.