''Yahoo Sports''...Flores #1 coaching hire.
25 replies
our coach is rated #1 coaching hire by yahoo sports, I know it doesn't mean much but I think its good Pub for the common fan, I liked this quote..
''The entire league is looking for the next McVay, and the Dolphins landed the guy who figured out McVay’s offense in a Super Bowl.''

I liked this one too.
6. Adam Gase, New York Jets — Gase went 23-25 as Dolphins coach, never lived up to his reputation as an offensive genius and his time in Miami was marked with weird decisions.
Someone out there besides us was paying attention!
Comes in 6th out of 8 hires ahead of Klingsbury and a very confusing to me hire of Zac Taylor in 8th.
Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.
"Tin Indian wrote:
I liked this one too.
6. Adam Gase, New York Jets — Gase went 23-25 as Dolphins coach, never lived up to his reputation as an offensive genius and his time in Miami was marked with weird decisions.
Someone out there besides us was paying attention!
Comes in 6th out of 8 hires ahead of Klingsbury and a very confusing to me hire of Zac Taylor in 8th.
Theres a clip of Zac Taylor meeting Andy Dalton in the locker room after his presser...Love fest I tell ya..

"djphinfan wrote:
Theres a clip of Zac Taylor meeting Andy Dalton in the locker room after his presser...Love fest I tell ya..
LOL. Am I the only one that really doesn't get hiring Zac Taylor in Cincinnati? What has he done to be a head coach, like ever?
I know, I know, McVay. Well his coaching tree didn't look so hot in the Super Bowl. But it seems to me that Taylor is only slightly more qualified to be a head coach than the guy that follows McVay around on the sideline keeping him from being crushed!
Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.
"Tin Indian wrote:
LOL. Am I the only one that really doesn't get hiring Zac Taylor in Cincinnati? What has he done to be a head coach, like ever?
I know, I know, McVay. Well his coaching tree didn't look so hot in the Super Bowl. But it seems to me that Taylor is only slightly more qualified to be a head coach than the guy that follows McVay around on the sideline keeping him from being crushed!
It was a pretty blatant attempt to catch Sean McVay magic in a bottle without much of anything else put into it.
But, it's the Bengals. Their ownership (among others) is why I always look at the anti-Ross crowd with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Flores #1! Woot!
Time will tell, but maybe our luck is changing for the better.
Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.
Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.
The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.
Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
Team Tua.
Miami Dolphins Homer!
"Tin Indian wrote:
LOL. Am I the only one that really doesn't get hiring Zac Taylor in Cincinnati? What has he done to be a head coach, like ever?
I know, I know, McVay. Well his coaching tree didn't look so hot in the Super Bowl. But it seems to me that Taylor is only slightly more qualified to be a head coach than the guy that follows McVay around on the sideline keeping him from being crushed!
well brown admittedly said, he's gonna follow the trend so there ya go..
I admit that I'm higher on Dalton relatively speaking then everyone else so I think that position will be steady for him in the beginning but I'm happy they aren't in the market.

"djphinfan wrote:
well brown admittedly said, he's gonna follow the trend so there ya go..
I admit that I'm higher on Dalton relatively speaking then everyone else so I think that position will be steady for him in the beginning but I'm happy they aren't in the market.
I also agree Dalton is pretty underrated. He may not be an elite but he's definitely someone you can build a deep playoff run around if you do it right.
Also agree with everyone saying Taylor is a bad hire lol
"djphinfan wrote:
well brown admittedly said, he's gonna follow the trend so there ya go..
Well Good Luck with that in Cinci and all those other places looking for McVay Magic. I think there is going to be a whole lot of buyers remorse pretty quickly. Time will tell I guess.
Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.
"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:
I also agree Dalton is pretty underrated. He may not be an elite but he's definitely someone you can build a deep playoff run around if you do it right.
?? Dalton is abysmal in the playoffs. He's had 4 chances and each time he crapped the bed. His (raw) playoff passer rating is 57.8, with 1 TD to 6 INT's and a putrid 55.7 completion %. Adjusting stats to present day won't make that look much better.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htm
The guy is basically average.. kind of like Tannehill, except that we KNOW how Dalton performs in the playoffs: abysmal.
"cbrad wrote:
?? Dalton is abysmal in the playoffs. He's had 4 chances and each time he crapped the bed. His (raw) playoff passer rating is 57.8, with 1 TD to 6 INT's and a putrid 55.7 completion %. Adjusting stats to present day won't make that look much better.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htmThe guy is basically average.. kind of like Tannehill, except that we KNOW how Dalton performs in the playoffs: abysmal.
Same thing said about Manning too. Football is a team sport not a QB stat line.
"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:
Same thing said about Manning too. Football is a team sport not a QB stat line.
Yeah we (or at least I) saw the games. Dalton in the playoffs = abysmal. His team wasn't bad, it was Dalton that was the problem. Just ask Cinci fans! And Manning was never as bad as Dalton in the playoffs over any 4 game stretch.
"cbrad wrote:
?? Dalton is abysmal in the playoffs. He's had 4 chances and each time he crapped the bed. His (raw) playoff passer rating is 57.8, with 1 TD to 6 INT's and a putrid 55.7 completion %. Adjusting stats to present day won't make that look much better.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htmThe guy is basically average.. kind of like Tannehill, except that we KNOW how Dalton performs in the playoffs: abysmal.
Yeah that’s fair, I would take him over tannehill though.

"cbrad wrote:
?? Dalton is abysmal in the playoffs. He's had 4 chances and each time he crapped the bed. His (raw) playoff passer rating is 57.8, with 1 TD to 6 INT's and a putrid 55.7 completion %. Adjusting stats to present day won't make that look much better.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htmThe guy is basically average.. kind of like Tannehill, except that we KNOW how Dalton performs in the playoffs: abysmal.
I was about to make the same comparison to Tannehill. If you build a strong team around him he can take you to the playoffs. But their decision making under pressure gives you no confidence about being able to win in the playoffs.
"cbrad wrote:
Yeah we (or at least I) saw the games. Dalton in the playoffs = abysmal. His team wasn't bad, it was Dalton that was the problem. Just ask Cinci fans! And Manning was never as bad as Dalton in the playoffs over any 4 game stretch.
Maybe it's not Dalton but a reflection of Marvin Lewis and how poor of a coach he is in the post season.
56% comp, 621 yds, 3 td, 4 int, 5.3 y/a, 2.5 TD%, 3.4 INT%, 65 QB Rating (Palmer, McCarron, Kitna)
55.7% comp, 873 yds, 1 int, 6 int, 5.5 y/a, 0.6 TD%, 3.8 INT%, 57.8 QB Rating (Dalton)
The highest QB rating for a Bengal QB during the Marvin Lewis era is by McCaron with 68.3. Dalton went 0-4 as you said but the other 3 QB's who have played a playoff game went a combined 0-4.
If all the parts change and 1 constant remains with the same results maybe it's not just Dalton.
mooseguts out
"mooseguts wrote:
Maybe it's not Dalton but a reflection of Marvin Lewis and how poor of a coach he is in the post season.
56% comp, 621 yds, 3 td, 4 int, 5.3 y/a, 2.5 TD%, 3.4 INT%, 65 QB Rating (Palmer, McCarron, Kitna)
55.7% comp, 873 yds, 1 int, 6 int, 5.5 y/a, 0.6 TD%, 3.8 INT%, 57.8 QB Rating (Dalton)
The highest QB rating for a Bengal QB during the Marvin Lewis era is by McCaron with 68.3. Dalton went 0-4 as you said but the other 3 QB's who have played a playoff game went a combined 0-4.
If all the parts change and 1 constant remains with the same results maybe it's not just Dalton.
It's certainly a possibility, but sample size matters. Dalton has 158 passing attempts in the playoffs while Palmer (as a Bengal) has 37 attempts, McCarron has 41 attempts, and Kitna (as a Bengal) has 40 attempts. And you need 150+ passing attempts for passer rating to have any decent level of reliability and only Dalton's satisfies that so that's the main issue I'd point out.
But even if you ignore sample size the problem is that there isn't only one thing that's remained constant: Palmer and Kitna both had postseason games with other teams. Kitna posted a 46.8 rating in the 1999 playoffs with Seattle, which is a 48.6 rating in 2005 numbers, that you can compare to the 60.1 rating he had with Cinci in 2005. Similarly, Palmer had a 67.1 rating in the 2015 playoffs with Arizona, which is a 61.7 in 2009 numbers, compared to the 58.3 he had with Cinci in 2009.
So even ignoring sample size (which one shouldn't), for both QB's it's hard to argue Marvin Lewis had much of an impact. And let's not forget Kitna and McCarron were both backups so that adds another dimension. You're right though that these overall playoff stats belong to Marvin Lewis as well so it's certainly something to consider.
Guys I was just making a point about how Zac Taylor and Dalton had a bromance in the locker room, It pertained to the Idea that our staff will have a better shot at a Qb if we want one..
Can we not bring tannehill and dalton into the debate, (I’m guilty as well)

"djphinfan wrote:
Guys I was just making a point about how Zac Taylor and Dalton had a bromance in the locker room, It pertained to the Idea that our staff will have a better shot at a Qb if we want one..
Can we not bring tannehill and dalton into the debate, (I’m guilty as well)
It’s actually an interesting comparison.
Also both of them have had fairly similar careers to the type of career Matt Ryan was having before Dan Quinn became the HC of the falcons. Matt Ryan has showed at least something in the playoffs before Dan Quinn though.
"Pauly wrote:
It’s actually an interesting comparison.
Also both of them have had fairly similar careers to the type of career Matt Ryan was having before Dan Quinn became the HC of the falcons. Matt Ryan has showed at least something in the playoffs before Dan Quinn though.
Yeah, but...
...never mind.
Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.
Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.
The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.
Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
Team Tua.
Miami Dolphins Homer!
"cbrad wrote:
Yeah we (or at least I) saw the games. Dalton in the playoffs = abysmal. His team wasn't bad, it was Dalton that was the problem. Just ask Cinci fans! And Manning was never as bad as Dalton in the playoffs over any 4 game stretch.
I've watched them too but I don't feel like it's nearly as bad as your implying.
Also 4 games is a pretty bad sample size to judge anything based off of.
I like what Omar kelly had to say on Locked on dolphins Podcast, y'all should check it out..you may not like Omar but it was a unique perspective.

Yahoo definitely hit the nail on the head here. I don't know if any of you follow Walter Cherepinsky on walterfootball, but his writeup on the Flores-Gase situation was laughable. This guy has excellent NFL connections which makes him a great draft insider, but beyond that, his thoughts on what it takes to achieve NFL success are usually way off-base.
Here's what he said about the firing of Gase:
"Dolphins fire HC Adam Gase: F- - - - - - - - - - - - Grade
Wow. WOW. WOW!!!!!!!! I can't. I just. I just can't.
Look, I knew that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was a complete buffoon like the rest of you, but I didn't realize that he was capable of this level of stupidity. Ross may have just cemented himself as one of the worst owners in not just the NFL, but the history of sports.
When Ross hired Gase three years ago, he called Gase the "next Bill Belichick." Let's analyze what transpired in those three years:
2016: Led the Dolphins to the playoffs despite them being quarterbacked by Ryan Tannehill.
2017: Saw the season derailed by Tannehill's preseason injury. Jay Cutler buried the team, yet Miami was oddly competitive in several games, finishing 6-10.
2018: Had the Dolphins in playoff contention late in the year despite the team being quarterbacked by Tannehill. The playoff hopes ended when Tannehill suffered an injury in the second quarter against the Patriots. Tannehill was never the same after that.
Why on Earth would you fire a head coach you thought was the next Belichick who had the team competitive for a playoff spot in both years he had his starting quarterback available!? Why in the world would you not allow the "next Bill Belichick" to have a chance to coach a team with a quarterback better than Tannehill!? The previous regime signed Tannehill to a 6-year, $95.2 million contract. Why was it Gase's fault he was stricken with a pedestrian starting quarterback all of these years!?
This is such an insanely stupid decision. I imagine the other NFL teams are laughing at Ross and the Dolphins right now. In fact, teams are already hurrying to schedule interviews with Gase. It sounds like the Browns are highly interested in hiring Gase, and doing so would be a terrific move. I can't wait to see Gase coach up Baker Mayfield. And he'll be able to do so because Ross is one of the worst sports owners anyone has ever seen."
Then, he gave the Jets an 'A+' for their hiring of Gase, and a 'D' for ours of Flores. Yikes, but hey, this is also the guy who gave the Sean McVay hire a 'C-' and the Hue Jackson hire a 'B+'.
"djphinfan wrote:
our coach is rated #1 coaching hire by yahoo sports, I know it doesn't mean much but I think its good Pub for the common fan, I liked this quote..
''The entire league is looking for the next McVay, and the Dolphins landed the guy who figured out McVay’s offense in a Super Bowl.''
I have switched gears on this guy myself.I wanted Richards but after it came out this guy called the game against the Rams I would be a fool to not be impressed!This team finally gets it after all these years and wants to build a team the right way instead of the insantity of the thought process we are a couple of players away.I fully embrace a last place finish in 2019 if we can build a true contender by 2021.5 year deal makes alot of sense here.
For the first time in a long time I feel cautiously optimistic.Lets go Fins!
"thetylernator wrote:
Yahoo definitely hit the nail on the head here. I don't know if any of you follow Walter Cherepinsky on walterfootball, but his writeup on the Flores-Gase situation was laughable. This guy has excellent NFL connections which makes him a great draft insider, but beyond that, his thoughts on what it takes to achieve NFL success are usually way off-base.
Here's what he said about the firing of Gase:
"Dolphins fire HC Adam Gase: F- - - - - - - - - - - - Grade
Wow. WOW. WOW!!!!!!!! I can't. I just. I just can't.Look, I knew that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was a complete buffoon like the rest of you, but I didn't realize that he was capable of this level of stupidity. Ross may have just cemented himself as one of the worst owners in not just the NFL, but the history of sports.
When Ross hired Gase three years ago, he called Gase the "next Bill Belichick." Let's analyze what transpired in those three years:
2016: Led the Dolphins to the playoffs despite them being quarterbacked by Ryan Tannehill.
2017: Saw the season derailed by Tannehill's preseason injury. Jay Cutler buried the team, yet Miami was oddly competitive in several games, finishing 6-10.
2018: Had the Dolphins in playoff contention late in the year despite the team being quarterbacked by Tannehill. The playoff hopes ended when Tannehill suffered an injury in the second quarter against the Patriots. Tannehill was never the same after that.
Why on Earth would you fire a head coach you thought was the next Belichick who had the team competitive for a playoff spot in both years he had his starting quarterback available!? Why in the world would you not allow the "next Bill Belichick" to have a chance to coach a team with a quarterback better than Tannehill!? The previous regime signed Tannehill to a 6-year, $95.2 million contract. Why was it Gase's fault he was stricken with a pedestrian starting quarterback all of these years!?
This is such an insanely stupid decision. I imagine the other NFL teams are laughing at Ross and the Dolphins right now. In fact, teams are already hurrying to schedule interviews with Gase. It sounds like the Browns are highly interested in hiring Gase, and doing so would be a terrific move. I can't wait to see Gase coach up Baker Mayfield. And he'll be able to do so because Ross is one of the worst sports owners anyone has ever seen."
Then, he gave the Jets an 'A+' for their hiring of Gase, and a 'D' for ours of Flores. Yikes, but hey, this is also the guy who gave the Sean McVay hire a 'C-' and the Hue Jackson hire a 'B+'.
This writer contradicts himself that h'es laughable. On one hand he states how Miami was successful DESPITE being quarterbacked by Tannehill, an obvious indictment of Tannehill's abilities and in the very next sentence, blames the loss of Tannehill for Gase's horrible second season.
I'm sorry...I'm quite confused here

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"thetylernator wrote:
Yahoo definitely hit the nail on the head here. I don't know if any of you follow Walter Cherepinsky on walterfootball, but his writeup on the Flores-Gase situation was laughable. This guy has excellent NFL connections which makes him a great draft insider, but beyond that, his thoughts on what it takes to achieve NFL success are usually way off-base.
Here's what he said about the firing of Gase:
"Dolphins fire HC Adam Gase: F- - - - - - - - - - - - Grade
Wow. WOW. WOW!!!!!!!! I can't. I just. I just can't.Look, I knew that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was a complete buffoon like the rest of you, but I didn't realize that he was capable of this level of stupidity. Ross may have just cemented himself as one of the worst owners in not just the NFL, but the history of sports.
When Ross hired Gase three years ago, he called Gase the "next Bill Belichick." Let's analyze what transpired in those three years:
2016: Led the Dolphins to the playoffs despite them being quarterbacked by Ryan Tannehill.
2017: Saw the season derailed by Tannehill's preseason injury. Jay Cutler buried the team, yet Miami was oddly competitive in several games, finishing 6-10.
2018: Had the Dolphins in playoff contention late in the year despite the team being quarterbacked by Tannehill. The playoff hopes ended when Tannehill suffered an injury in the second quarter against the Patriots. Tannehill was never the same after that.
Why on Earth would you fire a head coach you thought was the next Belichick who had the team competitive for a playoff spot in both years he had his starting quarterback available!? Why in the world would you not allow the "next Bill Belichick" to have a chance to coach a team with a quarterback better than Tannehill!? The previous regime signed Tannehill to a 6-year, $95.2 million contract. Why was it Gase's fault he was stricken with a pedestrian starting quarterback all of these years!?
This is such an insanely stupid decision. I imagine the other NFL teams are laughing at Ross and the Dolphins right now. In fact, teams are already hurrying to schedule interviews with Gase. It sounds like the Browns are highly interested in hiring Gase, and doing so would be a terrific move. I can't wait to see Gase coach up Baker Mayfield. And he'll be able to do so because Ross is one of the worst sports owners anyone has ever seen."
Then, he gave the Jets an 'A+' for their hiring of Gase, and a 'D' for ours of Flores. Yikes, but hey, this is also the guy who gave the Sean McVay hire a 'C-' and the Hue Jackson hire a 'B+'.
...Gase wanted Tannehill...Gase wanted Cutler...Gase didn't coach some horrible roster like some believe to a playoff spot.
And is Gase Baker Mayfield's private coach in the off season or something? lol
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime: