1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yankee's get Nady and Marte

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by NJFINSFAN1, Jul 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    The Yankees are on the verge of acquiring outfielder Xavier Nady and left-hander Damaso Marte from the Pirates, according to major-league sources.

The deal is pending a review of medical records, sources say. The Pirates will receive a package of four minor-league players, expected to be Class AAA right-hander Ross Ohlendorf, Class AA right-handers Phil Coke and George Kontos and Class AA outfielder Jose Tabata.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8380066/Sources:-Yanks-strike-deal-for-Pirates'-Nady?FSO2&ATT=MA

Boy the Pirates were asking for a lot and seemed to get very little. Good deal by the Yanks.

BigDogsHunt and Regan21286 like this.
  2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Indeed a good deal for the Yanks. I had been wondering why Nady and Marte weren't listed as active on my fantasy roster.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  3. mixmaster_matt

mixmaster_matt New Member

May 18, 2008
    crazy good trade for the yankees. He is going to get plenty of rbi's in that lineup...

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Good? Tabata is the yankee equivalent of Fernando Martinez, maybe slightly worse depending where you read. I would be RIPPING the Mets if they made a deal like this for Nady. I like Nady but not that much.

5. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    hm, seems like a pretty good trade for the yankee's...they'll probably still go for some pitching

6. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

According to a friend the Yank's have soured on Tabata and his attitude.

7. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Woohooo...finally a Lefty out of our pen......love it!

P.S. with Damon & Matsui issue...love the bat and Left Field defense with better arm.

8. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Still talent wise its an awful trade regardless of what your friend says. tabata is still a young kid and hes got major power.

9. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Austin Jackson is more of the Frenando Martinez type ~ and he is still our property....love having a solid minor league system (who knew we could do it in such a short time), reality is to many bodies for to few big league spots. So with the need in LF, and needing a lefty out of the pen. If this is what it took, and the 3 rooks are all unproven, I think its wise to roll the dice and gamble this time.

Still have lots of talent in the system.

10. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    So because you have a deep minors you overpay for a mediocre platoon player who is a 250ish hitter after April?

And prior to the season quite a few sites, baseball America included had tabata on par with martinez.

11. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

Reality is now and is the present....prior to the season is the past. Prior to the season we didnt see a need ~ cause it was all speculation and what if.....now is not a what if....its a what is! That is a huge difference in the reasons for or against.

So, yeah, to get the lefty out of the pen....which isnt cheap in MLB...yeah, we offer that package....for a variety of reason, including how the FO views what we gave up.

Nady is a nice short term fix, Marte to me is the key piece filling a much bigger hole.

12. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Suit yourself but in 2-3 years you'll be kicking yourself for dealing Tabata. Nady is a stopgap. But I wish no ill will to the yanks so i hope it works out well for you and that i am wrong.

13. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Totally agree......

:up: and while I try to stop thinking like the old method....the Yanks are always in a position to accept the loss of a young stud (who may become a star on another team) to solve a short term only problem, and then spend in FA to sign a proven guy to fill the spot that the young stud was slated for.

It's just the Steinbrenner method...and at times it backfires, at times it works.

:up:

14. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Funny, but it was the deviation from that approach that prevented the yanks from finalizing the trade for Santana. They placed more value on Melky and Cana and either Kennedy or Hughes at the time.

And at the time I was content with that logic.....so I am now content with this logic.

Kinda how I am with Miami....I let the FO do whatever it wants....I always believe they are in a better position to know the right thing than me just as an outsider.

As long as you have solid industry folks in the FO.....Parcells, Ireland.......and for Yanks Cashman. So all is good!

15. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    i was wondering when they were gonna look around for some coverage in the outfield...i like these pick ups and youre right NJ yanks pulled out on the top end of this deal!

16. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Who is having a real bad year and has gone awol on the team. He is a ? mark, and if Nady and Marte get the Yanks to the world series, than its all worth it.

finsgirlie likes this.
  17. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Slightly off topic here, but I will NEVER understand the Yankees' fascination with Melky Cabrera, and why they refused to trade him in a deal for Santana or for that matter, any other player they can use. He's an outfielder with a career .708 OPS, and has played almost three full seasons now, and wasn't an appreciably better hitter in the minors. How is this a guy you go out of your way to protect in trade talks? And don't give me the "he's still a young, developing player" shtick. In almost three full seasons in the bigs, he's shown pretty much no development. In fact, his numbers have gotten WORSE.

Anyway, I think the Pirates did a nice job buying low on Tabata and selling high on Nady. If they had asked for Tabata for Nady in April, Brian Cashman would have giggled and hung up. Tabata does not compare to Fernando Martinez (King Fernando has quite a bit more power), but he does project as a leadoff hitting outfielder, with good speed and a very good batting eye. I think the Yanks gave up on him too soon. And I like the rest of their haul, too. Karstens has a 55/15 K/BB ratio in 69 AAA innings, which is suggestive of a guy who should be an effective big leaguer. McCutchen put up some sick K/BB ratios in the minors as well, and Ohlendorf could yet be useful.

I think the Pirates won this deal, personally.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yankees are working on a deal to acquire Jared Washburn. News per ESPNEWS.

19. phunwin

That's a huge shock. Classic Yankee move; take on some team's bad contract to fill a hole. For a 5th starter, you could do worse, though. Washburn doesn't get completely lit up, and he eats innings.

20. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    m's want a top prospect for washburn lol they are fools......i want a player to help contribute next year, he doesn't have to be a top prospect

21. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Much of the talking heads (experts) are saying the opposite.

And while I find myself on occasion shaking my head too at the various decision....I just cant argue with what Cashman is doing right now. All the right buttons are being pushed and bar none, this trade, and the release of Hawkins just improved our Pen 10-fold.

Now, if we can just find someone to take Farny off our hands!

22. phunwin

If the Mariners can get the Yankees to pay Washburn's full contract, they should take that and be happy with it. If the Yankees do anything more than that and maybe a token C prospect, they're fools.

23. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    Ive followed Nady allot and hes done nothing but get better every season in the big leagues. 250 after april? what stat book are you looking at?

24. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Totally agree. Just getting Washburn off the books is enough. They should be happy if they got a bag of baseballs for the guy.

25. phunwin

He exaggerated a bit, but for his career, Nady is much worse after April and May. Check out his splits here.

26. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Time will tell on the Nady and Marte deal. However, I think most are focusing on Nady where I think he was really a late add on. I think Marte was the bigger deal. He is a solid LH relief pitcher witch the Yanks SORELY needed. That is why they gave up tabata.

As for Washburn, the interim GM for the M's is just afraid of getting bad press. Let's face it he is TRYING hard to steal a deal and make a name for himself. Cashman is NOT going to take salary AND give a good prospect. IF the M's pay the salary, then maybe, but they are not going to do that so ... be happy with a C prospect and move on. If you are in a cost cutting mode, you get what you can for your big contracts and move on next year. Use that extra cash to bring in a FA in the off-season that can help your team, PLUS MAYBE the prospect will end up playing too.

27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I know I'm late to the party but this was a great move by the Yankees. You need to tip your cap to them on making this move quickly and getting two useful players out of it.