1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yep, still Tannehill's fault.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Frumundah Finnatic, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    If Mike Wallace is a one trick pony...it just might be the best trick in the NFL.

Every defense is freaked out by his speed, and he still manages to run free WIDE OPEN behind secondary's every week.

We gotta take advantage of this..every week. This week we took advantage of it. This is a good sign.

Boik14, ToddPhin and sports24/7 like this.
  2. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

I thought CK already showed with his pictures that Wallace was running a post?

3. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

I agree. It's insane how he continuously gets behind the defense. If Ryan doesn't over throw the one throw and Wallace catches that ball at the end, he has 3 LONG touch downs just in that game.

He's a weapon, regardless of what every here thinks. But it's got to start working more often to make his contract worth it.

4. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    No. He was running toward the post. If he runs past it...it is a flag.

I am saying he should have led him toward the flag. it makes it a MUCH easier pass to catch.

ToddPhin and Nappy Roots like this.
  5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Right and Sec was saying it may have been a better if he may have been running a flag....at least that's how I took it...

6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This pass was a good play by Tannehill IMO.

Doesn't really change the fact that there were plenty of mistakes in this game that were Tannehill's fault.

7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He dropped the ****ing ball. How hard is that to understand?

phintasmic likes this.
  8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    And I've pointed out that decision and throw several times as I've explained that it's silly that we're even sitting here talking about these super-deep passes when Tannehill flat out OWNED them all game long, much better than average.

Let's talk instead about some of the stupid decisions he made during the game. Not his above-average deep passing during the game.

9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No, the degree of difficulty was not insane. It superficially looks harder than it was because Wallace adjusted himself so much prior to the catch(necessary or not), but he had a tenable body position and dropped a pass that hit him dead in the hands. That's on him.

Fin D likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yup. Was a post route. Ya know, toward the post.

11. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    On his INT on the first series, where the heck was he trying to go with that pass? I saw nothing but traffic and didn't catch a good replay of it.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There was a defensive back who had deep left zone responsibility on the play. If Tannehill throws too far toward his territory then he risks having that defender sink back and intercept the ball especially since the ball was going to end up in the air for upwards of 3 to 4 seconds.

This is a playbook thing. It's a post route against a three-deep zone and I don't believe the tag on the end of a post route into a three-deep zone calls for a crossing tag. It probably calls for a vertical tag since the deep middle defender is the one that he's already beaten. If you lead him into another defender's deep zone then you risk that defender being wise to it and sinking back to intercept the football.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    it's too easy to say that if it "hits him in the hands" he should catch it. He picked up the ball's trajectory less than a second before it arrived after he re-adjusted. Then had to catch it with a guy in his face. it was difficult.

Only way the pass gets made 'easier" is if it is led toward the flag, and like I said, that was not likely possible.

sports24/7 likes this.
  14. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    :D.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's certainly one of his stupid decisions, the other being the one where two Panthers converged on the ball.

16. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Or Wallace could of not turned over his right shoulder. That would of made it 'easier'.

17. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    agree. but I said "toward the flag" not at the flag. we are talking about 10 feet from where the ball landed. I think if Tannehill gets to step into it..it gets deliver somewhere near there and the chances of a completion go way up.

It's an incredible throw with a guy in his face about to break him in half.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There's something to be said for asking your $12 million a year wide receiver to adjust 10 feet on such an incredible pass when the ball is set to be up in the air so long it's virtually a punt.

And that's assuming he even should have been required to throw the ball 10 feet to the left as you say. I am not at all convinced that he was coached to do that. I think he threw the ball exactly where he wanted to throw it, where the playbook asks him to throw it. Bottom line is Wallace looks back for the ball and sees the vertical, puts his head down to run under it some more, and when he looks back up he looks over the wrong shoulder.

19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He missed a flaw in a Panther coverage in the 4th as well. Clay correctly ran a seam to stress the FS in Cover 1, Panther FS blew it completely....Tannehill missed him...threw short.

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I had it as a B- game. He had to account for 95% of the offense himself, dealt with poor pass protection, did a great job throwing the deep ball, did a great job scrambling, dealt with four dropped passes including two that could have been touchdowns, and had a few brain farts only one of which ended up a costly play.

MAFishFan, Boik14 and ssmiami like this.
  21. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    For the record (since some here are claiming to be so precise in fact), Tannehill under-threw Wallace twice and Wallace adjusted to make the play. Then he overthrew him once. His fourth deep pass was the closest to being on the money all year long, so save the "Ryan is the answer" parade until he actually hits Wallace once in stride. The problem is that he can't throw a slant pass at all so all we have is the deep ball, and he can't throw that accurately either.

Now, before all the Tannehill worshipers chime in, consider this little nugget of information-

Welker has 9 TD's, with 2 more total yards more than Wallace. Ginn has 250 yards less, yet has 3 TD's. I could go straight through the names of receivers people here would readily know and every one of them has outperformed Wallace...because they're not playing in Miami with a QB that can't capitalize on the middle of the field. Just look back on Wallace's career before he was a Dolphin; his biggest scoring plays were 10-12 yard slants that got him moving up field at full speed. How many of those has Tannehill completed to Wallace in stride this year? Zero. How many times has he thrown it behind or in front of him? 20+ times. The same goes for the deep ball...eleven games, dozens of passes and only one hits Wallace in stride? And that's giving you guys the pass at the end of the game yesterday, which could have been a great pass or could have been way off with Wallace adjusting.

A decent NFL quarterback connects with his top weapon at least once per game. A good NFL quarterback does it once per quarter. What do you think the distinction should be for a QB that can do it once every 11 games? I don't know, but its certainly not what a lot of you are throwing around.

MrClean and Fin-Omenal like this.
  22. phintasmic

phintasmic Banned

Oct 21, 2013
    Wallace dropped an open slant on 3rd down late in the game.

Sorry. Try again!

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Luke Kuechly on Ryan Tannehill:

"He made some pretty incredible throws."

24. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He's right.

Am I the only one that came away impressed with BOTH Tannehill and Wallace?

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No, I think you can be impressed with Wallace's speed, but be less than impressed with his hands.

26. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Didn't you get the memo? You're either on Tannehill's side or Wallace's. You cannot be in both. duh!

27. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    0 points in the second half and it's all Wallace's fault? Why is there such an effort to blame ONE person?

28. phintasmic

phintasmic Banned

Oct 21, 2013
    Nope, they both made some great plays. I am putting more of this loss on the defense. Can't give up drives in the second half like that.

29. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    That would have been the play of the year for the regular season anyway.

30. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    I'm putting the loss on playcalling.

13 called runs to 49 called passes, in a game in which they led pretty much the whole time. It's inexcusable. I don't care if it's working or not, don't make yourself one dimensional.

And the defensive calls at the end of the 1st half were putrid.

phintasmic likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    No. Not at all.

Tannehill made good on his promise to "let it rip" and the results were...IMPRESSIVE...to say the least.

I had just got done saying last week I've maybe only recorded two or three 60+ yard connections on a real football field during real games. Well, that ended up growing by one when I did that video of Wallace's entire deep work with the Steelers in 2012 (Big Ben hit a 63 yarder to Wallace).

But in this game alone I witnessed Tannehill throwing not once but TWICE at that kind of throw depth, and the ball hit the receiver on the hands both times.

That's incredible. Never seen such a thing, discounting hail mary plays. And you know I've done hundreds and hundreds of these throws among some of the strongest arms out there.

Wallace's adjustments on the first two throws were perfect. Just perfect. Again if you watch all through his Steelers and Dolphins tape you see a hell of a lot of inadequate tracking and adjusting on the football in the air. But on those two throws his track, adjust and finish were perfect. Certainly one of the best games I've seen Wallace have in quite a while.

Seemed like Wallace was into the game more because he knew Tannehill was going to "let it rip" during the game. Right away on that first pass, you can see Tannehill threw that ball about 6 yards further than he normally would have aimed for. I think that play got Wallace jazzed up.

It's just too bad that Wallace couldn't make the correct adjustment on the final deep ball. It's a nice reminder that no matter what he's still inconsistent with that.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    i think the argument has gotten conflated between the dropped bomb and the overall game.

I think the argument in the op was about one specific pass play and whose fault it was and whose fault it wasn't.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  33. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

[​IMG]

Polk High rules!

Boik14, ToddPhin, resnor and 2 others like this.
  34. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Yea I agree 100% on everything. Not only was he impressive this game letting it rip, he also got out and ran away from pressure at times, something he HAS to do.

phintasmic likes this.
  35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've got this going in two different threads so forgive me.

Mike Sherman's comments are always interesting and telling.

Last week when asked to comment on the missed deep connection between Tannehill and Wallace, he attributed it simply to an underthrow. That told me that Tannehill is not necessarily being coached to improve the timing of that pass with Wallace, nor do the coaches seem inclined to improve the timing by other means such as removing play-fakes from the backfield timing on deep shots to Wallace, or building in more delays onto Wallace's route.

This week when asked to comment on that final deep throw, he attributed it simply as a "great throw". That tells me that the route Wallace ran did indeed have a vertical tag and that is why Tannehill didn't steer the ball further to the left. Many keep pointing out that steering the ball further to the left is exactly what Tannehill should have done so that Wallace would not have had to broken straight vertical and could have kept the ball on his left shoulder.

Maybe that is the case. I don't know. I think it's arguable that you don't want to risk the deep left zone defender getting back into the play since the ball is going to be in the air for a good 3 seconds. But if that is indeed what he should have done then you need to talk to Mike Sherman about it, not Ryan Tannehill.

36. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    OK but what do you do when your back can't gain any yards/runs backward for losses?

37. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Oh, Tannehill threw a semi-accurate ball that Wallace only had to turn for a little bit....that changes everything! Tannehill is now the best quarterback ever, forget that he hasn't completed that pass once all season! It's definitely everyone else's fault.

38. phintasmic

phintasmic Banned

Oct 21, 2013
    Open your eyes and put your agenda on hold dude. Your act is getting tired.

39. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Single best television character of all time. ALL TIME.

40. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    Those plays certainly suck. But I don't abandon the run completely. Incompletions don't gain any yards, and sacks are losses, so the knife cuts both ways. Perhaps try different types of runs? Throw a reverse in here or there to take advantage of an aggressive defense...hell I dunno, but I don't quit on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.