1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yep, still Tannehill's fault.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Frumundah Finnatic, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    He had time to adjust and not have to flip around had he tracked the ball better. I don't what the route was desinged to do, Wallace ran it one way and Ryan threw it another, regardless, a few steps differently when the ball was in the air and it's an easier catch for Mike.

2. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Well I guess there is nothing else to say the expert chimed in. Course you provide no support for why it was Ryan fault or why he isn't the answer just you say so. Funny how people act CK is wrong n act like those that understand his argument are nut huggers yet not one shred of evidence has been provided to dispute it. Wonder why?

3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Uh, maybe you should apply a little of your infinite wisdom towards what actually happens on the football field?

Of 95 balls thrown Wallace's way so far this year, he's caught 49. Find me one play from those 49 where Wallace catches the ball in stride and is able to use his speed after the catch to make a play.

Since you can't even fathom the concept of what that looks like from an actual NFL QB, here's a few hints-

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d81c4c05d/QB-Roethlisberger-to-WR-Wallace-52-yd-pass-TD

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000090196/Wallace-51-yd-TD

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d82366a57/Roethlisberger-hits-Wallace-for-95-yard-TD

Care to explain why we haven't seen a play like this once in 11 games and 95 passes? The answer is you can't, other than to throw out a quick flame and hope others ignore my post.

MrClean and ToddPhin like this.
  4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That last one included a play action fake and I timed it as ~2.1 seconds from hike to when Ben decides to throw it and starts his throwing motion.

Boik14 and resnor like this.
  5. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Shhhh... talk like that goes against what he's trying to prove.

6. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    At the end of the day if the ball hits you in the hands, for 60 million dollars, you need to CATCH it. I don't care if you have to do a 720 aerial back flip cartwheel to get there, if it touches your hands, it should be a catch. Fight for the ball.

WRs with hands and hunger like Gibson and Matthews would catch it. Elite receivers would catch it. Receivers who actually fight for the ball would catch it.

Tannys deep ball can be pretty bad. I'm not saying he's perfect or even close. HOWEVER; Whether it's an over throw or an under throw, if a WR gets in a position where the ball is in his HANDS, its now his fault. If Tannyhill overthrows or underthrows to no one by 5 yards and its incomplete, thats one thing, if Tanny underthrows by 5 yards, and Wallace slows down, adjusts, has it in his breadbasket and STILL drops it without the defender even TOUCHING it, I don't care how bad the throw was, that's on the 60 million $ receiver 100%.

Part of learning to be a WR is learning making accurate adjustments on the ball. Every pass is not going to be perfect.

7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's insanity. Miami's offense scored 13 points and blew 7 opportunities inside Carolina territory to reach the endzone. Miami's D on the other hand was outstanding all game except for 2 possessions, accounted for 3 of Miami's 16 points, and held one of the NFL's better offenses to a mere 224 yards and 13 points through the first 56 minutes [6 of which weren't their fault]. If Miami's offense doesn't mess the bed and blow all those Carolina territory opportunities [4 of which were provided to them by the defense] there would NOT be a last minute Carolina comeback to speak of.

Maimi's overall offensive effort: poor
    Miami's overall defensive effort: good
    ....but hey let's blame the D.

On what backward planet do you live that makes 13 offensive points more acceptable than a defense allowing 13 points? That's slap yourself worthy is what it is.

MrClean, dWreck and djphinfan like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not sure how you can pin a couple drives on a loss when the offense was so inept in panther territory..every good defense is gonna give up a Couple drives during the course of a game...the defense was efficient relative to the amount of time they were on the field and how many drives the panthers had against him, all because the offense couldn't muster enough first downs.

MrClean likes this.
  9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Maybe it's because they don't want to blame Ryan for anything, so what the hell blame the defense...

The offenses job is to score points..the 2nd half numbers yesterday and no points in the fourth for 7 games, and what I'm seeing, tells me what their doing isn't working..

Tannehill needs to take more matters into his own hands and start manufacturing some first downs with his legs, and Sherman needs to redesign his offense to incorporate much more bootleg game.

10. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I also can't believe we're blaming defense for one or two drives. We score one touchdown in the 2nd half, the game is completely different. Hell, we didn't even get 2 field goals. Failure all around on the offense. Dropped pass here, missed throw there, whatever. Everyone needs to get better.

ToddPhin and Stringer Bell like this.
  11. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You are vastly underestimating what it takes to get open and make catches IMO. Wallace made great plays on the ball on both long receptions. If it were simply his speed alone those balls would have hit him in stride and he would have walked into the endzone. Both times he had to come back to the ball and make a nice catch on them.

Without Mike Wallace, the Dolphins get crushed yesterday. They legitimately probably get shut out and the defense is on the field all game. That is a fact.

12. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Can't disagree the offense should have scored more but Car vaunted offense scored only 4 more so it isn't like they were SPOOKY much better. But simply put since we RT haters like to focus on individual plays, here is one -> get of. The farking field on 4 th and 10. But hey RT missed a pass so that's ok for the defense

13. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    But hey defense shares no blame none nada cause it makes you a smart, analytical and objective fan if you solely focus on Tannehill. brilliant simply brilliant

14. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I gotta agree. Hitting Mike Wallace in stride is so important, we need to try it 3-4 times a game. Whatever we've been doing, isn't working. We need to be born again like Ron Rivera and switch it up. Ben Roth in the video above fakes a play action than looks to see if Wallace has his man. He did, and he let it rip.

Ben is probably 3-5 yards deep in the end zone, Wallace catches it at the 41 or so (so add in the diagonal Pythagorean theorem etc to figure out actual yards travelled ;)) and then goes another 59.

We paid $60 million for this toy. Use it at the right time (in case it's intercepted or incomplete) but we absolutely need to be using this.

15. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Defense stopped one of the hottest teams in the league in the first half. Beat them up. If our offense scored a little we'd have the Panthers doing desperate things, maybe making some mistakes. But no, we didn't score, and after one TD the Panthers are right back in it. This is absolutely an offensive failure.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  16. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    Wallace makes 60 million he should make that play, this season 2 tds at 5 million each.
    I blame the coaching they should be getting more out of both players, they are good just make it work.

bran likes this.
  17. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    That was the #1 ranked Defense, the coaches shut it down in the second half, RT has been throwing an average 40+ times per game the last 6

18. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    C'mon, we both know if the ball is to the left a yard or two Wallace can still break off his route vertically exactly how he did and in the process keep it over his left shoulder... not to mention keep the ball further away from the safety closing from the right. Tannehill was positioned just left of the left hashmark when he let the ball go, and it landed about a yard to the right of it, so the ball was traveling slightly from left to right. That subtle angle makes it infinitely more difficult on a receiver traveling right to left on a post/flag who has to cut it vertically as he's approaching that left hash mark where the ball's flight path happens to be almost on top of him.

The pass needed to land center of Tannehill and up to a few yards to his left. That was his margin of error- a 10 foot area between center and left of center so the ball isn't coming across the body of a receiver initially moving right to left. If that happens, the throw's angle is significantly improved and allows Wallace to turn vertically while still tracking over his left shoulder b/c the ball would be going slightly away from him. Instead, Tannehill leaves the ball 5 or 6 feet to the right of center which forces Wallace to attempt an acrobatic catch on an incredibly long throw.

It would've been outstanding if Tannehill could've done this but it would've been nearly as tough to make that throw with a defender bearing down on him as it was for Wallace to catch the initial one. That's why you don't see me blaming this throw as the reason we lost the game. I'm merely suggesting the throw's location made Wallace's job significantly tougher to the point of not deserving to be scapegoated for the loss. I think blaming this play in general is bogus TBH. The game had a chance to be won before each team's final possession, and it wasn't Wallace's or the defense's fault.

MrClean and Fin-Omenal like this.
  19. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    every facet of the team failed in the second half.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Listen, I don't know who's calling who what and I really don't care, were better than that on this site, I'm sorry if a few are spoiling it for everyone, I think it's silly, we're discussing the ceiling of our Qb, that's it.

Carolina's offense sucking has what to do with our offense inability to finish drives?, pick up first downs and score points?, if your saying that the talent on the offensive side of the ball is getting the most out of itself then ok, you want to fire Ireland, if you think first downs and points are being left on the field, then you have to look at the Qb and coordinator and how they are managing the gameplan.

Ludacris likes this.
  21. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    This loss was due to two key issues. First, we cannot run the football. Debate all you want about Tannehill but no QB can be expected to win and sustain drives when the RBs combine for 16 yards. In fact it is our running game that has derailed this season. Second, we need to attack coming out in the 3rd quarter. When we are up, we need to go into the 3rd with the mindset to ice the game early. Be that deep passes to Wallace or scrambles by Tannehill. I tell you one more thing about yesterday, with all the focus on Wallace, we should have tried a deep pass to Hartline. They seemed to work at times last year. That's a halftime adjustment I'd like to see.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    One could make the argument for Ryan that he had 0 threat of a run game and had to do everything himself...

I'm tough on him because I want a franchise guy at the position, but that is a reality..how much it is leading to him not being able to manage a game, idk..I always want him to do better using his athleticism.

23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    smahtaz likes this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think your right, how much blame can you place on a Qb who is playing a one dimensional game..there's really no way to judge it individually..

This really comes back to personnel.

25. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Pretty much. We are trying to win and sustain drives with either marginal gains or negative yards on our first down runs. It's tough to beat NFL defenses when they absolutely know that you cannot run a lick.

How would this offense look if we had a running game that could average 125 yards per game?

26. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the team/coaches need to learn to not let the foot off the pedal when you are up.

27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Here's an identical play to the deep ball everyone is scapegoating Wallace for.

It's a 59 yarder that Wallace has to track right to left laterally across the hash marks [just like Carolina] after an initial vertical stem that was run between the right hash mark and the numbers [just like Carolina].
    Ben is positioned along the left hash [just like Tannehill].
    Notice how Ben leaves the ball to the left of the hash mark [rather than to the right like Tannehill did] so that Wallace can continue tracking it over his left shoulder while making a lateral adjustment. Then you look at Tannehill's throw right of the hash trailing left to right across Wallace's body and you clearly see how much more difficult it makes the reception attempt. The free safety is even bailing deep pre-snap to prevent a long reception to the area where Wallace caught it but that didn't stop Ben from sufficiently leading him.

[video=youtube;Q6xgN9q8x14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6xgN9q8x14[/video]

[video=youtube;ViGBhliSe4M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViGBhliSe4M[/video]

MrClean, Colmax, RGF and 1 other person like this.
  28. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    see I think that's on tannehill. The packers run that same play and I bet Rodgers gets the ball out a full second quicker. His footwork on playaction needs to speed up.

ToddPhin and Fin-Omenal like this.
  29. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    People are nut huggers if their only defense of a topic is....but CK said..

30. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Nope. Wallace made adjustments that have given him a hard time all year and I actually saw Tannehill overthrow Wallace, which he hasn't done all year either. Throughout the game they were starting to get on the same page with the deep ball, and that makes since because you can't really get a good feel for those bombs unless its a game. I don't think it was just chance that the last throw was the best timed.

Let's just hope this continues into next week and they could maybe, dare I say it, get some chemistry?

ToddPhin and RGF like this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Wallace says he thought the ball came out to the right when Ryan let it go, he made a mistake when he turned to the right and lost track of the ball, it's on him imo..kinda like an outfielder misjudging the ball coming off the bat...

brandon27 and ckparrothead like this.
  32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    that's a valid point for every part of his game.

33. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Excellent comparison, thanks for that. The only excuse I`ll give Tannehill is he knew he was getting hit as he threw and maybe disrupted his throw location. Other then that, that throw HAS to be made.

And, am I the only one who keeps watching that video and hoping Wallace catches it eventually. :pity:

34. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Umm, we expected Dan Marino to do it for over a decade...he never had a thousand yard rusher. While a good run game definitely helps balance out the offense and take pressure off the QB, it has nothing to do with accuracy issues or not being able to throw basic NFL passes.

35. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    No people happen to think he did a good job of breaking it down so you can see it isnt ALL on Tannehill. Those that disagree make more out of than there is. Since CK did it, I dont have to.

I have mentioned it at least 5 times yet noone even acknowledges it, make 1 stop on 4th and 10 and we win, how is Tannehill responsible for that?

Do you wish that Tannehill never miss deep? yes, do all qbs miss deep? yes. Look at how great receivers will adjust their route while ball is in air right after release.

The point is they did it what 5 times yesterday with 2 completions, that is 40% completion. for stat lovers that is good, if wallace catches that pass it 3 out of 5 and 60%. But again when the defense fails in teh 4th again, and people ignore it completely while annihilating Tannehill I find it more bias than what you accuse us "nut hugger" to be

36. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I'm not sure if Tannehill could have made it easier. Probably getting the ball out quicker gives the receiver more time to adjust. I do know that it hit Wallace in both hands. The way Wallace did that 360 right before the ball arrived, made the catch more difficult than it needed to be.
    [​IMG]

37. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    no but he had webb, simms good center basically a good oline, marks brothers, oj mcduffie irving fryar

38. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Wallace was streaking deep from left to right BEFORE Tannehill released it,away from the cover. Its kind of hard for Wallace to get the blame when, if Tannehill threw the ball more to the left Wallace catches it in stride for the TD, much like in the first video with Ben.

ToddPhin likes this.
  39. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Your comparing a top 5 QB of all time to a 2nd year QB. Calm down.

40. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I was wondering about the wind. I live about 125 miles north of the stadium and we had gusts out of NNE over 25 mph all day yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.