1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yep, still Tannehill's fault.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Frumundah Finnatic, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    unfortunately I cant remember it either, philbin pointed the play out to use as an example as to why the team hasn't scored td in the fourth quarter of 7 strait games..s aid it was at the 4 min mark and if the qb and receiver were on the same page it would of been a huge play.

I seriously cant understand how a pro team hasn't scored a td in the fourth quarter of 7 strait games..holy shKK that's bad..

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He wasn't really on the move. But he WAS about to get crushed.

Yes in this game Tannehill proved without a doubt that he has upper echelon arm talent. There are guys with freakshow arms that are markedly better, such as Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton and Matt Stafford...but not many of those. Those might be the only ones, matter of fact.

3. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You forgot Aaron Rodgers. IMO, he has the best arm talent in the history of the NFL. The guy is an artist with all the ways he can deliver the football.

I wish we would have had a chance to draft him.......

4. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I laughed when he over threw Wallace...all those people who said just throw it down the field.

Has Tannehill ever had WR with Wallaces speed? I dont think he did at A&M. Coudlnt this just be part of his learning curve as a QB? He hits his others recievers in stride no issues. Like you pointed out..with Wallaces speed..there is timing involved..actually quite alot. Wallace does not seem to adept at down shifting...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

5. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Make sure you separate the Tannehill haters as opposed to the Tannehill critics. Theres a world of difference that some posters are failing to differentiate. Major debate in this thread is based on ONE throw and I didnt see any posts that claim Tannehill should be hung because of it. Its a major topic because that throw would have been a game changer.

ToddPhin likes this.
  6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Calling BS on him then. Nothing on either of the two drives he could be talking about (actually there's just one drive that happens around the 4 minute mark but I'm trying to build in the possibility he's mis-remembering the time) looks like it comes even close to being able to claim that a touchdown would have happened if the QB and WR were on the same page.

Note, I'm not saying that there weren't any missed opportunities or favorable developments in the coverage that the offense could have taken advantage of better. What I'm saying is that there was nothing that allows you to ASSUME a touchdown, if something had simply been recognized better. Even with better recognition, all of the plays had significant hurdles that made successful execution something you can't just assume would have happened.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's accurate and he's got a great arm but I really don't consider him to have the same caliber arm strength as the four I mentioned.

And you're preaching to the choir since I had Aaron Rodgers as the #1 player in that draft.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The reason I think several want to call the throw a 67 yard throw is because the ball hit the ground at the 1 or 0 yard line which would make it about a 66 or 67 yard throw from fingertip to dirt.

Problem is that's now how I've ever been measuring throws because most throws that connect actually hit the receiver in the hands which are usually raised up quite a bit from ground level and that means the throw probably gets cut short about 3 or 4 yards from where it would've hit the dirt if left to continue unimpeded. I stop the mark right at catchable level. In this case Wallace seemed likt he had his hands stretched out and making contact with the football around the 4-yard line. Could be wrong but that's how it seemed. So I call it a 63-yard throw and I compare that with my other measurements for consistency's sake.

That does make for an interesting comparison with distance throw competitions which are measured at dirt level though. If you did measure that throw at 66 or 67 yards at dirt level then Tannehill would have won every distance throw competition I've ever seen held. But then, I have seen a 70 yard throw before. Just not in a distance throw competition. And I'm not saying who did it (ehrm, rhymes with Mebow). I've heard of 80 yard throws. O.J. McDuffie will swear he won a bet with Dan Marino in which he threw the ball 80 yards.

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I thought JaMarcus Russell could throw the ball 70+ no problem.

10. phintasmic

phintasmic Banned

Oct 21, 2013
    When some clowns are saying that Moore should start, I call them haters, and they end up on ignore. So it is easy for me to define it.

11. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I wonder if Philbin is talking about the play where Ryan throws the ball about as soon as he catches the snap and tries to hit Rishard Matthews on a quick slant. Rishard didn't get his head around in time. I'd have to see the play again to be sure, but he looked to have a lot of green in front of him had he gotten his head around and made the catch.

12. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    But what is the problem with that throw? This isn't Madden. He threw a 63 yard bomb that hit his receiver on the hands. Yet it seems that people don't get how truly incredible that actually is, and they want to blame Tannehill for it being incomplete. Myself and others simply cannot fathom that type of thinking.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    So go the rumors. But only the coaches that have worked him out privately know. Supposedly Kyle Boller could too.

Not sure anyone ever saw them do it during a game.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We did.

15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Could Philbin be talking about the play where 2 Carolina DBs collided, and just got the time of the play wrong?

16. MrClean

If talking about pure arm strength, I'd put Roethlisberger in the top group.

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Joe Flacco throws it 74 yards:

[video=youtube;1fa_GrbdcjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fa_GrbdcjY[/video]

In a similar competition, a few years earlier, Aaron Rodgers throws it 64 yards.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I saw him throw over 50 yards across his body without using his legs at all. I don't remember if I ever seen him throw 70, but it wouldn't surprise me.

19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I was making a Jokey Joke.

20. MrClean

He maybe the fastest WR in the game today, so how could he?

21. MrClean

Seems like I recall Boller throwing it through the goalposts from his knees at the 50.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If I had to pick one guy in this league that would ever somehow end up completing a 70 yard (through the air) pass...it's Joe Flacco. He's quite literally got the best arm in the league. I toss Stafford, Kaepernick and Newton in the same category as him but truthfully he's peerless.

23. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Of course..Kordell Stewart's famous hailmary vs. Michigan...traveled 72 Yards in the Air: (Check at 2:56 mark)

[video=youtube;AcTnzTuFI3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_730632&feature=iv&src_vid=4LyrkgPVXQE&v=AcTnzTuFI3Y[/video]

24. MrClean

Moore should start.

unifiedtheory and smahtaz like this.
  25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's one distance throw competition I'd not seen. Looks like Flacco got 71 and 74 yards. Henne got 63 and 67 yards. Matt Ryan got 62 yards. Colt Brennan and Josh Booty got 60 yards.

I've seen professionals win the competition at 64 yards before. I think E.J. Manuel won the recent rookie competition at 63 yards which was I think 5 yards better than the next best other rookie (Nassib). Glennon only got like 54 yards. Jordan Rodgers I think might have even beaten him.

I've seen Nate Davis win one. I forget the distance he won it with but it wasn't notable like Flacco.

26. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Get me the drugs that you take. You realize that on average, he's in the top 10 in time to pass right?

27. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    like your stance but that scenario has "implode" all over it.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know that I've ever counted a Hail Mary. And I'm not sure I'm ever going to.

But that's a pretty nice throw. That would've competed with Flacco's fingers-to-dirt 74 yard distance throw.

29. phintasmic

phintasmic Banned

Oct 21, 2013
    Hater...blocked.

LOL!

30. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    Distance throwing isn't the best measure of strongest arm for NFL QBs IMO. A lot goes into a distance throw beyond just sheer arm strength, e.g., trajectory, wind, spiral, etc. It appears to me that the guys who have short, compact deliveries can often generate great velocity on line drive throws but don't necessary get great distance on their long distance throws. I think Marino was like that. Longer QBs with more wind up to their deliveries, such as Flacco, Randall Cunningham, Jamarcus Russell, etc., seem to do the best on long distance throws.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  31. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Check this one out...also 72 yards:

[video=youtube;1FuC3jnm4TE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FuC3jnm4TE[/video]

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I checked Philbin's press conference. He wasn't talking about a potential touchdown. He never said it was a scoring play. He was asked why they don't score touchdowns and he just pointed to execution and used that one play as an example not of a play they would have scored on but just an example of failed execution.

It was a missed connection due to a miscommunication. That's being kind. I think it was a poor route by Wallace. The corner was playing off and the look was cover one with a deep centerfielder who wasn't going to be able to get involved in anything. So Wallace broke on a slant underneath the off coverage, and then for some reason he chopped his feet and stopped. I have no idea why he chopped his feet and stopped. It looks to me like Wallace didn't read what the coverage was.

Anyway Tannehill threw the football as if Wallace was going to keep running through the slant (which he should have) and as a result the ball ends up ahead of Mike Wallace. He awkwardly dove at it, and couldn't come up with it.

But it wasn't necessarily a big play. The off corner was breaking hard to Wallace and had a decent angle to pull him down after the catch. And if he didn't manage it then the deep safety might have, although he'd taken a little bit of an unfavorable angle. The chance of Wallace breaking that would have been pretty small, IMO.

It was big to Philbin just because it would have given Miami another first down and the ability to run more clock out while they were protecting a 4 point lead.

I think the fact that Philbin brought it up unbidden and kept talking about it as being so prevalent in his mind, the language he used "wide open on the tape" and the fact that he refused to say who was to blame on the play...read between the lines and he's pretty pissed off at Wallace about that play, and possibly about a lot more.

If Tannehill had just thrown that ball off the mark or he was the one that read the defense wrong I think Philbin (and Sherman) have shown a willingness to say it. They know him, they're comfortable with him, they know his attitude about things and they're comfortable with that. I think they walk on egg shells around Mike Wallace. I don't think they're willing to come right out and say Wallace ran the route wrong.

phintasmic likes this.
  33. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    So now Tannehill, the all-time Dolphin sack leader, has the 2nd fastest release in pro football?

Please give me your address, for Christmas I'm going to mail you a stopwatch. Don't worry though, I'll make sure it's dyed aqua and orange to match your Sunday glasses.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  34. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Are you disputing a simple fact now?

35. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Talking about arm strength, I always felt Vick had great arm strength when he came out. He could just seemingly flick his wrist and get it 50 yards downfield. Never really measured his farthest throws though.

MrClean likes this.
  36. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Talking about lack of scoring in 4th qtr...it seems to me like we move between the 20s fairly . I think maybe we get hurt with no running game here..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

37. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009

Okay, let's break this down
    1) The coaches call a go route play-action pass to Wallace.
    2) Tannehill fakes his hand off in about 1.5 seconds.
    3) Wallace is wide open in about 1.5 seconds...but only because he paused to LET THE PLAY ACTION FORM.
    4) Wallace runs past his defender.
    5) Tannehill stares at Wallace as he steps towards the right hash mark.
    6) Tannehill stares some more.
    7) Wallace is still wide open.
    8) Tannehill runs some more...then gets a brilliant idea!
    9) Tannehill throws to the only receiver he even glanced at the entire play.
    10) Wallace is still wide open.
    11) The ball flies through the air.
    12) Tannehill gets the *&^*% knocked out of himself.
    13) The defender thinks, "Damn that white kid's tough."
    14) Tannehill smiles.
    15) The ball is still sailing through the air...it's traveled 50+ yards now.
    16) Wallace is still wide open, but he's at almost a complete stop.
    17) Wallace catches the ball.
    18) Wallace's defender tackles him.

On both plays, Tannehill knew exactly where he was throwing and both times, he held the ball too long. If you don't believe me though, then ask Mr. Tannehill himself-

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...2_1_ryan-tannehill-mike-wallace-body-language

TooGoodForDez and Fin-Omenal like this.
  38. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Classic case of not able to admit when proven wrong

unifiedtheory likes this.
  39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I didn't watch that full post-game press conference from Philbin until just now but there were two moments in that presser where he kind of stopped himself just shy of criticizing Mike Wallace and I think he wants to very badly.

The first is singling out that play at 4:41 left in the 4th quarter. That was clearly a bad route by Wallace given the coverage. There's no reason for Wallace to sit down on that route. There's no middle defender anywhere in sight that could come over to him. The corners are in man coverage and there's a deep centerfielder. If he runs all the way through that slant and Tannehill hits it perfectly in stride, Wallace has a chance to cross into the defense's right side where there is only one corner and he's in man coverage so he's going to have zero awareness of Wallace. That's how big RAC gains happen, running into a section of a field manned by a defender who is preoccupied in man coverage.

Philbin hemmed and hawed on the attribution of the play, "for whatever reason" we couldn't connect he says. Yeah. He knows. He just doesn't want to say.

Then later they ask about that final deep throw and I thought it was real interesting that Philbin basically said we didn't have a good angle on it from their film and they're requesting film from the television angles that might have a better view.

That...is a very telling revelation. There's only one reason he would want to see the television angle of the play. He wants to know if that ball hit Wallace right on the hands or if the defender defended it. The fact that he's requesting that film shows that it's important to him. I'm sure Wallace would like his coach to say well whatever, it was a tough play, would've taken a heck of a play from both of you to connect on that, etc...no need to go all FBI digging up all the evidence, etc. That doesn't appear to be what Philbin is doing though. He wants to know if that ball hit Wallace on the hands.

I don't like that Philbin attributes the New Orleans game purely to turnovers. Turnovers really had very little to do with it. A couple of those turnovers happened during a period of the game when the game was already over for all intents and purposes. Once they went up on us by something like four touchdowns, which happened maybe midway through the 3rd quarter, whatever else happened had nothing to do with "reasons we lost the game". I think that's what Philbin WANTS to believe, that it was turnovers, and he wants others to believe that too. There's an ugly reality from that game that he apparently doesn't want to see or acknowledge.

40. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I don't need a stop watch. I have data.

Ryan Tannehill throws the football in less than 2.5 seconds 63.8% of the time and is #2 in the NFL in that stat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.