1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Favorite Plays of '08 Season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Linus, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I'm in my crazy buying-Dolphins-memorabilia-off-ebay-all-day stage that I get into right before camp starts and the preseason begins:lol:

Soon we'll all be talking about the WR who looks best in camp, which rookie stands out, how the Wildcat will be run this year and by whom...and so on. But, before we start all that, I thought I'd think a little about last year's season. What a season, wow! We went from 1-15, to AFC East Champions, under a new coach, with a new qb, all while running a "new" offensive formation.

So, with that said...what were your favorite/most memorable/least favorite plays from the 2008 season? We're about to start something brand new, so let's talk about last year before it's completely in the past...Here's what I came up with...

Offense-

1. The first Wildcat TD against the Pats
    This started it all. I know some hate the formation and this and that...but, it really gave this team a new life and a different demeanor. We went into the Pats game 0-2, everyone was disappointed..."Pennington sucks, Ronnie can't do anything, the D is terrible, 0-16, this year." and BAM, it all changed with one game. I went into that game feeling one way, and came out feeling a totally different way. Very memorable game for me. More highlights from Ronnie in this game than the Dolphins 2 previous entire seasons haha

2. Wildcat, double-reverse, TD pass
    This play was just awesome to see. Maybe it was too "gimmicky" for some, but I loved it. It showed what happens when passing is implemented into the Wildcat. Plus if someone had Patrick Cobbs on their fantasy team that day, you had the best day ever:pointlol:

3. Ginn's TD against Seahawks
    Flea flicker. Deep (Pennington-deep). One-handed grab. Felt like it was forever since Ginn caught a TD, and this one sure was pretty all-around.

4. Fasano TD against Jets
    Pennington put it only where Fasano could get it, and Fasano somehow contorted his body to get it. Great!

5. David Martin against the Niners
    Not much explanation. Just a sweet throw-n-catch. No trickery there.

Defense

1. Merling's INT and TD return
    Maybe not the prettiest...but, man it is just perfect for me. Came in one of the most important Dolphins' games I've ever seen, against the Jets, in Favre's last game. Came right after another TD and really changed the momentum. Favre diving and missing big Phillip Merling was just classic.

2. Goal-line stop against the Chargers
    If you guys remember this one...Vonnie got good penetration and just ate LT up at the line. I love this play because it's the first "close" win our team pulled out (and started a long line of pulling them out all season). Our defense used to just let us down...and this play just showed ppure heart and guts.

3. Joey Porter's day against the Pats
    JP ran his mouth and backed it up with about 25 sacks. Simple as that:lol:

4. Will Allen's INT and return against Broncos
    I was so nervous going into this game, and even though it ended up being close, I feel like we dominated the Broncos. When Will Allen actually catches an INT and then returns it for a touchdown, you know we're rolling!

5. Porter's sack against the 49ers
    Man, they really shut Joey down this game...and when we need it most, he gets right at the QB. Awesome play and ended the game for us! I almost put his sack in the endzone against the Bills where he made Peters look stupid...but, i loved this play.

And....least memorable (let's leave these in 2008 forever).
    1. Andre Davis' catch, ripping it out out of Bell's hands. I just want to beat the stupid Texans, man. Could add the qb sneak to win here too, ugh!
    2. Favre's ugly heave in the first game. Please someone knock down that ball! We would've won without it.
    3. Pennington's INT to Suggs for a TD. Yuck. Foreshadowed the playoffs, which i won't even mention. I hate the Ravens.
    4. Anquan Boldin versus our secondary. Yikes. Glad the season changed a lot since that game.
    5. Camarillo getting hurt in the Pats game. Hate the patriots, and wish everyone would stop tearing their ACLs against them. He was having a great game too. Hope he's ready this year!

Any specifics plays that make you think of last year? It's almost time to make some new memories. Go Dolphins in '09!

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Not sure anybody can add anything, I think you about nailed the season :lol:

phinnhedd, Disnardo and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Offense: Number 3. That Touchdown was impossible. Literally Impossible. I don't know how Ted Ginn Jr caught that ball. And the funny thing is, Camarillo was all alone near the end zone, but Pennington went for the difficult throw.

Defense: It's either the 5 sacks against the Pats, or the Safety vs Buffalo. I lean more torwards the safety because you can see it coming from the start of the play. Porter destroys Peters and the extra blocker, then destroys Edwards.

Least Memorable: Anquan Boldin versus our secondary. I thought records were going to be broken in that game.

4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Langford sacking Favre game 1.

5. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Every single one of Ronnie's TD's against the Pats in game 3 (introduction of the wildcat). What better way to make the best team in football look like a clueless group of peewee players than that?

6. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Because I was at the Niners game, when Porter made that sack, sealing the game, that was my favorite play of the season. that moment, with the crowd and all, left me in a true emotional state where i was just exuding bliss.

the last time i felt that way(regarding football) was when the dolphins beat the Jets 30-3 at home, when ricky broke that long td run.

cnc66 likes this.
  7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Ronnie completely obliterating that Oakland DB on his way into the endzone.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone get run over like that before.

cnc66 likes this.
  8. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    you know, in the play-off loss to the ravens, on a little scamper by ricky, he MAULS bart scott. i couldnt find video of it. but man, he runs his candy *** over. love that play.

9. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Ginn's catch on the flea flicker in the last jets game for some reason always stuck out in my mind. Fasano's TD grab in that game too. I can't remember what game it was, but Fasano caught a pass with one hand on 4th down and ended up taking it into the end zone. That had me jumping. All those drives when we ran out the clock were just sweet as well.

njfinfan likes this.
  10. anlgp

You mean the one pass he had?

11. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    You pretty much covered everything except one key play that was huge for our season, and that was Fasano snagging the 3rd down pass behind him with one hand, and breaking tackles into the end zone to win the game for us. Who knows what happens if he doesn't make that play.

EDIT: Same play PerfectTeam is talking about above :up:

njfinfan likes this.
  12. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Bernard Pollard's tackle in Week 1 against the pats :shifty:

MonstBlitz likes this.
  13. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Against the Chiefs. Amazing play, and if I remembered, that would've been right up there:up:. The beginning of that game was crazy...Cobbs' long return, then Ginn's reverse for the TD...all in about 15 seconds.

Ginn's TD run vs. the Raiders was nice too. He broke tackles like he was hungry and determined to score. Great to see from him.

mullingan, The Aqua Crush and cnc66 like this.
  14. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I'm talking all of them, the 4 rushing TD's and the passing TD that left the NE players, coaches and fans looking like this...

[​IMG]

njfinfan, MonstBlitz and anlgp like this.
  15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Sweet! Kudos FriendLinus :up:

16. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    The entire defense pointing and laughing at Farve would have to be the best for me.

baboo72, njfinfan and phinnhedd like this.
  17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Few more plays that I don't think I saw mentioned -

Offense -

1. Ricky's catch on 3 and 13 for the first down to ice the Denver game and silence the crowd. Great throw by Pennington, and great catch by Ricky.

2. Ted Ginn's catch on 4th and 5 to get the first and keep the drive alive against Oakland. Our playoff hopes hung in the balance on that play.

Defense -

1. Joey Porter's sack of Trent Edwards resulting in a safety. Pretty much sealed the Buffalo game.

2. Andre Goodman's interception of Favre to finish off the JESTS.

18. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    wasnt that ginn who made that catch on 4th down against the raiders ?

MonstBlitz likes this.
  19. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Even though it got called back because of penalty, I loved Ted Ginn's kick return for a TD against the Seahawks. I've never really seen one like it where he just stopped on a dime and then bolted in the other direction.

20. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yup. You're absolutely right. For some reason I was positive it was Brandon London. Not sure why. Maybe I'm thinking of another catch by London. I'll edit the post. Good catch! :hi5:

21. anlgp

London did lay out and catch a ball to move the chains at least once in an important game/drive. I remember it.

22. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yeah, it was a play over the middle I think where he made a great grab. Anybody remember the play and what game it was? It's going to drive me nuts! Maybe it also happened during the Raiders game which is why I'm confusing it with the 4th and 5 play.

23. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    Chad's run against the Patriots in week 12 - wasn't the greatest run but loved it when he got up and slammed the ball to the turf! Although it was a loss in the end I loved his attitude.

24. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    My favorite play was in the Chiefs game.
    Brady gets rolled on is OUT for the season.
    Oh wait ! Are we just talking Dolphins games?
    Sorry about that.At least we played the Chiefs.:shifty:

25. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Ronnie's TD pass to Fasano against NE. I had the best seat in the house for that one.

Fasano's TD catch against KC where he one-handed and dragged defenders across the goal line.

26. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Against the Jets.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  27. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I was gonna use this example as to why the flea ficker to ginn in the seahawks game was my favorite. I was at that game, and when he returned that kick the crowd went insane, then they called it back, and a few plays later they pull off that flea flicker. it was like a huge F U to the refs. awesome stuff (though in retrospect Ginn may have had a teensy bit of offensive PI on that one)

28. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    That's probably the play I was thinking of, although I can't find video of it. But it was 3rd and 5 and kept a crucial drive alive.

Edit: Yes, this is definitely the play I was thinking of -

View My Video

Even though I was confused to what game this catch happened in, it's still a memorable play for me and one of my favorites of 2008.

29. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    It was nice to see Ginn get that TD after having one stolen from him. There was as much defensive PI as there was offensive so I think it was a good no call.

30. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Nope. I can't add to that. Good job with that post. It was great!!!