1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your (former) Miami Dolphins!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Samphin, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Admittedly, I was bored and decided to see how many former Miami Dolphins are still in the league. After noticing quite a few familiar names, I got to thinking if I could field a full team (with depth). So here goes:

QB:
    Chad Henne
    Tyler Thigpen

HB:
    Ronnie Brown
    Jalen Parmele

FB:
    Lex Hilliard

WR:
    Brandon Marshall
    Wes Welker
    Anthony Armstrong
    Ted Ginn Jr.
    Clyde Gates
    Derek Hagan
    Devin Aromashodu

TE:
    Randy McMichael
    Marcel Reece

OL:
    T Pat McQuistan
    T Andrew Gardner
    G Wade Smith
    G Rex Hadnot
    C Samson Satele
    G Donald Thomas
    G Evan Mathis
    G/T Joe Berger

DL:
    Vonnie Holliday
    Kendall Langford
    Kevin Vickerson
    Fred Evans

LB:
    Rob Ninkovich
    Tim Dobbins
    Erik Walden
    Brendan Ayanbadejo

CB:
    Will Allen
    Jason Allen
    Vontae Davis

S:
    Yeremiah Bell
    Atari Bigby
    Abram Elam
    Chris Crocker

K:
    Jay Feely

P:
    Donnie Jones

So there you have it, the players of Miami past. I am sure I missed some people and I am severely lacking in depth at the linebacker and cornerback position, and a long snapper is needed, but overall, I thought it wa s pretty interesting that a entire team can be put on the field to face our current roster. Wide Receiver seems to be the strength with Marshall and Welker leading the pack and speedsters Gates and Ginn to return punts/kicks and stretch the field while dropping passes.

The addition of Marcel Reece as the second tight end gives Chad Henne options in the middle of the field for him to lock on and throw a pick at. Ronnie Brown gives the offense a nice fumble option out of the backfield and the depth at offensive line ensures that Tyler Thigpen will see the field in no time.

The defense will never get tired since most high school offense would be able to engineer a scoring drive in three plays or less, so the lack of depth probably won't hurt us much.

The question remains though, who would be the head coach of this motley crew? Dave Wannstedt? Todd Bowles? Cam Cameron? Tony Sparano?

2. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Never knew we had Atari and Abram Elam? Oh you may want to add Marcel Reece. I say give Jim Bates the HC gig.

3. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    In this offense I wouldn't mind having Wade Smith and Donald Thomas at guard right now.

mbsinmisc, RevRick and VanDolPhan like this.
  4. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I would take back Walden in a heartbeat

5. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    BTW can we have Randy Mueller as GM, I wish he would have had the same amount of time Ireland has gotten and see how this team would of looked like.

Aquafin likes this.
  6. Samphin

Forgot about Reese. I would make him the other Tight End/Fullback for my team. The Charles Clay of my offense.

Roster is edited to reflect.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I like the receiiver unit..Marshall, Welker, and I'd go with the "ole man, the ole river" Derek Haggard Hagan...

8. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Matt Roth is gonna fight you, since you omitted him.

9. Samphin

Roth isn't in the league, currently, so he was purposely left off. Same for Chad Johnson and any one else that isn't on an NFL roster.

Bpk likes this.
  10. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    I would bet that every Dolphins fan would love to have those hours of their life back we spent arguing about the players on that list. :up:

11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

It actually makes me feel better about our current players.

Our roster now would beat that roster.

12. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Why did we get rid of Rob Ninkovich?

13. Steve-Mo

Steve-Mo 'Saban' Guy

Apr 14, 2010
    Western New York
    He was released to sign LB Erik Walden (Packers). Then he was put on the PS and later taken by Saints (who originally drafted him and cut him after year 1).

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Bobbie Crapenter

15. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

I don't care Samphin...We'll go to the looney bin together bro.

[video]http://www.videodetective.com/music/the-pope-does-not-smoke-dope/379737[/video]

16. juju.simba

juju.simba New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    of that list , walden,ninkovich,thomas i would have back as depth players !

i see merling is not on the list ,no one sign him after his release from the pack , =what a bum!!

hats off to Brendan Ayanbadejo whose stayed around the league for "donkeys years" just as a special teams player
    we must of released him like 10+years ago

17. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    You forgot the coaching staff and front office. Dave Wannstedt can be the head coach, and Cam Cameron can be the offensive coordinator. The Tuna can be the vice president of football operations, since execs don't have to be on an NFL roster.

18. Samphin

Read the bottom of the original post. ;)

19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    pretend... :jump:
    I like our chances with Philbin & Tannehill, thank you

20. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Of course our roster would beat the roster of guys we got rid of!!! This is no great feat!

21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Evan Mathis is commonly overlooked but in 2011 and 2012 he's been playing All Pro quality football for the Eagles at left guard. He also made a big impact for Cincinnati in 2009 and Weeks 13 thru 17 of 2010. Since being released by the Dolphins he's accumulated +104.0 positive ratings from Pro Football Focus. In fact, they've only handed him 4 individual game grades that were negative, out of 45 total games. And only one of those games carried a significantly negative rating.

The Dolphins had him for a few months in 2008 but decided to let him go, for some reason. I think he and Rob Ninkovich lead up the list of players Miami cut for reasons that had nothing to do with money, that turned out to be pretty awesome football players.

ssmiami likes this.
  22. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    There are a LOT of options at Guard that I like better then what we have.

23. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    That team could totally beat our current team. Goes to show you what a ****ty GM we have.

Aquafin and Paul 13 like this.
  24. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

[​IMG]

25. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Both were signed as an undrafted FA and were released before the preseason.

26. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I knew someone would say this. So I give you a fist bump hoping I'll miss and knock some sense into you.

27. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I feel like EVERY time I watch New England play, Ninkovich is out there making several big plays a game. Ugh.

28. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Anyone who says they wouldn't take Brandon Marshall back off that list is either ignorant or lying to themselves.

29. Steve-Mo

Steve-Mo 'Saban' Guy

Apr 14, 2010
    Western New York
    I wouldn't want Marshall back so I must be ignorant or lying. Sounds about right to me.

30. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    And anyone who says the would must have significant stock in Preparation H,Tylenol #3, and Prozac....

dolfan32323 likes this.
  31. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I remember before all the pre season games were on TV and listening to the radio broadcast of a game against ( I believe ) KC and Ninkovich was playing really well. He just kept making plays , impacting the game. The radio crew were commenting about how he had to make the team , that he had a great training camp and now was cementing this by this strong game. Of cousrse he ended up being cut and becoming a productive football player.

We now have a coach who often likes to say , or make comments about how some players just look like a football player and that he trusts what he sees more than stats . I highly doubt he would have been cut by Philbin , who trusts on field production. I like that personally.

32. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I haven't seen anything that would leave me to believe anyone that was cut under one coach wouldn't also have been cut under Philbin.

33. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Why is that?

I have the distinct impression he values what is done more than the measurables or statistics , he trusts his eyes as he has commented. He often has said a player may not look pretty but produces , I am not sure all coaches do or would have valued this in the same way.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  34. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Yeah.
    It sure would suck to have a quality WR on the roster.
    Besides, having a bunch of #3's and 4's is working just fine.

35. PhinsPhan23

PhinsPhan23 New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Some interesting names on here.

Marcel Reese is a heck of a FB (not really a TE), I guess he could be considered an H-Back but he has carried the ball quite a bit for Oakland the last few weeks with DMac out. Either way, he is a weapon in the passing game.

Ninkovich - Didn't realize he was a Dolphin. He's a good role player and situational LB.

Erik Walden - I remember him being a Very Good Special Teamer, but now he is actually playing a decent amount on defense for the Packers.

Satele - Has been the Colts starting Center for awhile now. I still don't think he is that good, but considering we replaced him with a guy that we all knew would get hurt, that wasn't the greatest move

Donald Thomas - Thrust into action this year with the Pats due to injury. Has been playing pretty well from what I have heard.

Welker and Marshall - These are heart breaking. I actually thought the deal for Welker back when we did it was advantageous for us. Little did I realize that he is the perfect fit for Brady's offense. Marshall leaving was Philbin's push so I'm not quite ready to say this was a mistake but boy has he looked good with Cutler throwing him the ball again.

36. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Quinton Moses is playing in GB

Samphin likes this.
  37. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Samphin and padre31 like this.
  38. Samphin

39. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As long as it is not replaced w/a handjob we're cool.

That would be, possibly, the worst football forum "like this" mechanism imaginable.

40. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    Tell me why is that clown Derek Hagan still in the league while Chambers isnt ? I would take Chambers and welker and then have Bess and Hartline and add one big wr like Justin Blackmon and ole Tanny would be a most valuable player canidate. hey what happened to Donald Lee is he out of the league already ?