1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yucca Mountain

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Stitches, Mar 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Did anyone see that the funding for this project has basically been cut?

It really makes me sad to see that we still won't utilize nuclear power. :no:

Phinz420 and azfinfanmang like this.
  2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Hmmmm.... We finally agree on something :hi5:

I find it nothing short of assinine that we wont utilize the most powerful Energy source on the planet. I have voiced in here repeatedly, it HAS and IS being utilized some places with no ill-side effects.

Not sure what you were reading Pete, do you have a link.
    I was thinking that Yucca Mountain nothing more than a waste site and was to take over what would have been the WIP (Waste Isolation Plant) in Southern New Mexico?

jason8er likes this.
  3. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'll look for a link, I actually read about the story in the editorials page of USA Today (it's what they have at the hotel, sorry).

Yucca was nothing more as a waste site as far as I know, but there was still research being done as far as I could tell and it had not been fully utilized.

And yes WIP is the "next in line," but not sure if that will ever come to fruition either.

Our best nuclear engineers can go to China and help them with their exploding energy needs, but it is not good enough for us?

I guess it's a good thing that China's money is good enough for us though. :pity:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Good point.

The WIP has actually been in build for a couple of decades. The largest problem there is transporting the waste FROM where it is being utilized TO the Wip.

They built an entire Highway on the Northern Outskirts of Santa Fe just to keep the Waste from entering City Limits (I kid you not), but the Legislature found another loophole blocking it.

We have already been utilizing Nuclear Plants (Small select ones) for decades and have not had any problems... Like I said, especially with all the energy crisis going on, this is a no brainer....

5. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    azfinfanmang likes this.
  6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I know, there was one nearby where I used to live in Ohio.

But for like 20 years there, not a single Plant was commissioned in the US until just recently iirc (and even then, it was just the one I thought).

7. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Well, I grew up surrounded by no less than 3. Of course, they are all small-scale and mostly for R & D, but that is my point. These are all very old Reactors, yet no problems.

I also know of one in Oak Ridge, North of San Diego and Southwest of Phoenix. Pretty common knowledge as you see signs from the highways.

Stitches likes this.