1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zach Thomas and Jimmy Johnson nominated for HOF

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jpep13, Sep 17, 2014.

1. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    DPlus47, ASOT, ckparrothead and 5 others like this.
  2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    When Zach Thomas gets inducted I'm going to Canton to see it live. I grew up with him. What a great player and what great heart. Same applies to Jason Taylor.

DPlus47, SICK, The Rev and 1 other person like this.
  3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Really hoping Zach gets in 1st ballot. It's going to be an absolute travesty if he doesn't, IMO. There's not a LB in Canton who produced more than Zach Thomas. Period. Good human being too. A rarity it would seem. I could care less about Jimmy Johnson. He's not getting in for anything he accomplished in Miami... Although he did give us Zach and company.

DPlus47, ASOT, Unlucky 13 and 2 others like this.
  4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    no way Zach gets in on 1st ballot, but hopefully he does get in. I think the bolded part is a bit of a overstatement.

5. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I would be surprised if Zach gets in on the first ballot but I do think eventually he will get in, it will be interesting to see how many votes he gets. No doubt he deserves it but voters are idiots at times.

ASOT likes this.
  6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If ZT isn't a first ballot HOF guy noone is. I understand he may not make it in tge first time but he deserves it

ASOT likes this.
  7. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    ASOT likes this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I completely agree that Zach belongs in the HOF. However, the national media often does not, and the media determines who gets in. Great as he was, Zach was and is often overlooked. I hope he makes it in eventually.

ASOT likes this.
  9. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    when is Jason eligible? I can see both of them going in together. this year's class may be too strong for Zach to make it..

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    ZT never got the respect or praise he deserved. Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks and Brian Urlacher were always considered the high class LBs....even though ZT consistently matched and or outproduced them, with less natural gifts.

Colorado Dolfan, Unlucky 13 and ASOT like this.
  11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.aspx

25 LB's currently in the HOF. Who's more productive than Zach Thomas?

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is more about perception rather than production. One of the reasons why Tim Brown isn't in the Hall of Fame.

I think Zach is a hall of famer, however it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make it for 5 or more years.

Clark Kent likes this.
  13. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Completely random... but Shawn Springs is nominated as a first ballot corner... one pro bowl. wtf?

14. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    If you look at MLBs listed, there are like 4-5 in the hall, and they are all good ones. Not sure Zach rises to that level, or that he will get a better chance later. JJ is in.

15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Zach Thomas has a very strong case. I think stronger than people realize.

He's a 7-time Pro Bowler and a 5-time 1st Team All Pro.

The latter is a BIG deal.

You won't find many players in the entire NFL's history that have been voted 1st Team All Pro five or more times.

He was also 2nd Team All Pro an additional two times and was voted to the 2000's All Decade Team.

I mean, if you're All Decade, that's pretty much IMO an acknowledgment that you're a Hall of Fame player.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    When I looked up the stats to see if Zach Thomas should be a Hall of Fame player, I was surprised by the 5-time 1st Team All-Pro. Mostly because it leads the Miami Dolphins. Marino had it 3 times.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It would be ironic if all of those accolades I just described, which is pretty rare in a player, get Zach into the HOF on the first ballot and it's his own fans that end up looking like they're short-changing him by assuming he's going to have a difficult time.

I don't know if he'll get in or not but he certainly deserves it. As much as Urlacher does.

18. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    love Zach... would be typical though if he didn't get in straight away...

19. LoXfans

LoXfans New Member

Sep 17, 2014
    South FL
    Often you will find that the most obvious common sense things are not so common. Sad but true. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. On a perspective outside of being a dolphins fan he deserves it and that in itself should say a lot to the voters.

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Just remember that this isn't a vote by a bunch of fans doing some online polls and scanning old memories to try and figure if Zach Thomas was good enough to deserve it.

This will be a vote by many of the same people that made him All Decade, that made him a 7-Time All Pro (5-time 1st Team).

It would not surprise me at all if he got in on the first ballot.

21. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Absolutely. And he got those first team All Pro awards during a time that guys like Urlacher, Seau, and Lewis were all playing the same position.

Zach Thomas is a Hall of Famer, folks. He probably isn't going to be a first ballot entry, but his resume belongs. Look at the other 2 most recent HoF inductees... Tippett and Jackson...

Zach's resume is worthy.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Being up against Junior Seau is tough though.

23. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I'd do the same. Man, he was fun to watch play. He better get in. I'll start a riot if he doesnt.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  24. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    I agree Chris, Urlacher seemed to be hurt half his career.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The 2013 finalists that are still on the list are:

Morten Andersen, Tony Dungy, Jon Lynch, Kevin Greene, Charles Haley, Will Shields, Jerome Bettis, Marvin Harrison, Tim Brown.

The newly eligible players are:

Jason Elam, Shawn Springs, Junior Seau, Jevon Kearse, Jon Jansen, Kevin Mawae, Orlando Pace, Chris Samuels, Tra Thomas, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Torry Holt and Kurt Warner.

Think of those two groups as being the primary impediments to Zach's getting in.

The newbies that could be up for entry on 1st ballot in my opinion are Junior Seau and either Kevin Mawae or Orlando Pace.

It should be noted that Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Kevin Mawae, Orlando Pace and Will Shields all join Zach Thomas on the 2000's All Decade Team.

Of them, I don't believe Jamal Lewis is a serious contender to go ahead of Zach Thomas, due to some of the legal trouble he got in during his NFL career. And Edgerrin James would be a stretch to go ahead of Thomas I think as well.

This would be my ranking of the guys that either were finalists last year, or are new this year and constitute significant competition for Zach:

Junior Seau: 12-time Pro Bowl, 8-time All Pro 1st Team, 2-time All Pro 2nd Team, 1990's All Decade
    Will Shields: 12-time Pro Bowl, 7-time All Pro, 2000's All Decade
    Kevin Greene: 5-time Pro Bowl, 3-time All Pro, 1990's All Decade
    Kevin Mawae: 8-time Pro Bowl, 8-time All Pro, 2000's All Decade
    Orlando Pace: 7-time Pro Bowl, 5-time All Pro, 2000's All Decade
    Marvin Harrison: 8-time Pro Bowl, 3-time All Pro 1st Team, 5-time All Pro 2nd Team, 2000's All Decade (legal issues)
    Tim Brown: 9-time Pro Bowl, 1-time All Pro, 1990's All Decade
    Charles Haley: 5-time Pro Bowl, 2-time All Pro, 5-time Super Bowl Champ (bad reputation)
    Torry Holt: 7-time Pro Bowl, 1-time All Pro, 2000's All Decade
    John Lynch: 9-time Pro Bowl, 4-time All Pro
    Jerome Bettis: 6-time Pro Bowl, 2-time All Pro
    Edgerrin James: 4-time Pro Bowl, 1-time All Pro 1st Team, 2-time All Pro 2nd Team, 2000's All Decade

Zach Thomas: 7-time Pro Bowl, 5-time All Pro 1st Team, 2-time All Pro 2nd Team, 2000's All Decade

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I see about five, maybe six guys that NEED to go in before Zach Thomas goes in. So that could mean his odds are stacked this year.

27. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Zach deserves in, but will probably have to wait.

Although a league with the image issues they have currently, would be wise to take into consideration the character of Zach Thomas and how he represented himself, his teams and the league as a whole.

SICK likes this.
  28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    As far as JJ I love him. Canes coach, Dolphins coach...but lets be honest he's not going into the HOF for gis time with us

29. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Mind if I ask who? I see 2 or 3 but the rest are pretty even.

30. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm not going to have this debate over statistics. One word: IMPACT.

you are only looking through your homer dolphins glasses. Seau, Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks and Brian Urlacher all led their defenses to the superbowl. I'd bet damn good money that none of the HOF voters would vote Zach THomas ahead of any of those 4 LBs. and that's just recent history. you really think any HOF voter thinks Zach is better than Singletary, Lawrence Taylor, Nitschke or Lambert? - again, all led their defenses to the Super Bowl.

The only thing I will say is that there several on that list that I wouldn't consider as good as Zach Thomas (Tippett is a joke) and I do believe he deserves to be in there.

31. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I disagreee simply because there is no such thing as leading your defense to the superbowl in my eyes. You replace Urlacher with ZT and those Bear defenses are just as potent.

32. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I always thought a good comparison for Zach Thomas was Harry Carson, as soon as Carson got in I knew a case could then be made for Zach.

33. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm cool with him not being first ballot, as long as he does get in. Which he should.

34. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Bout time for ZT....JJ...meh...he had an impact on the game when he was coaching, but he left no legacy behind him...

35. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Seau, Shields, Pace, Mawae, Haley and Lynch are the ones that NEED to be in immediately. ZT belongs in, eventually. The problem I have with ZT, isnt his resume. Its the fact he couldnt elevate the team in to at least contender status. That problem exists for JT as well. Right or wrong, Seau, Ray Lewis, Urlacher were viewed as inspiring leaders that elevated their team and their defense. They made at least 1 great run. Most had a few great runs in the playoffs. Hell of a player though. 3rd, maybe 2nd time through ZT will be in imo.