9 candidates asked to interview...

26 replies

jinxjinxForum VeteranOP
Jan 4, 2016, 03:49 PM

so far.

The list:

Mike Smith
Mike Shanahan
Adam Gase
Doug Marrone
Teryl Austin
Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Anthony Lynn
Dan Campbell

PandarillaPandarillaForum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 03:51 PM

Bleak list...

muskrat21muskrat21Forum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 04:00 PM

welp it's going to be another ****ty 5 years if we hire off that list.

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 04:02 PM

Actually, of those on THAT list, McDaniels is the one that would intrigue me most

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

Miami_DolfanMiami_DolfanForum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 04:10 PM

hue jackson?

Shane FalcoShane FalcoNew Member
Jan 4, 2016, 04:12 PM

Mike Shula? Hue Jackson?

DGdgfredNew Member
Jan 4, 2016, 04:15 PM

"Pandarilla wrote:

Bleak list...

For real... out of them I would stick with Cambell. He knows the problems better than any newcomer will see.

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 04:33 PM

None of the Patriots guys are coming here. That I'm pretty sure of.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 05:17 PM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

Actually, of those on THAT list, McDaniels is the one that would intrigue me most

Only if he brings along Brady and Belicheck with him and he is the OC and not the head coach. Once Belicheck assistants leave the nest, they fall out of the tree and flop.

McDaniels is okay as long as he has Brady but I just don't see him as a head coach again in the NFL.

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Jan 4, 2016, 06:31 PM

Matt Patricia? Weird.

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

DUdullfandanNew Member
Jan 4, 2016, 06:41 PM

apparently Dan Campbell is just a courtesy call

Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things - blocking and tackling.

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 06:46 PM

"jw3102 wrote:

Only if he brings along Brady and Belicheck with him and he is the OC and not the head coach. Once Belicheck assistants leave the nest, they fall out of the tree and flop.

McDaniels is okay as long as he has Brady but I just don't see him as a head coach again in the NFL.

Well in all fairness, he didn't have much to work with in Denver.

I skimmed over the list too quickly initially. Shannahan also intrigues me

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 07:32 PM

Call me crazy, but I got a feeling we make a push for Payton.

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 07:46 PM

I'm not moist.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 08:06 PM

"The G Man wrote:

Call me crazy, but I got a feeling we make a push for Payton.

I am on that train. Will see if he gets released by the saints.

Steve-MoSteve-MoForum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 08:23 PM

Anthony Lynn is a bit surprising to me. I've heard he has a good reputation, but figured it would take more than 1 8-8 season season as assistant HC to start getting legitimate HC interviews. Never was that impressive in the interviews aired locally. Probably still a better candidate than Mike Shula, who has an inspiring surname and not much else.

FinsterFinsterNew Member
Jan 4, 2016, 08:30 PM

Shanny would be my choice from that list, this franchise NEEDS someone who actually knows what they're doing in the worst way, or Coughlin maybe since he stepped down from the Giants, I would prefer Coughlin's discipline, this team needs some real discipline.

Alex44Alex44New Member
Jan 4, 2016, 10:02 PM

Gase, Patricia and Campbell are the only three Id really consider.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

TItirty8Forum Veteran
Jan 4, 2016, 10:34 PM

Mike Smith - Seriously, if he couldn't win with the Falcons roster, how do you expect him win the Phins' roster?
Mike Shanahan - The game seems to have passed him by, but the system does fit, and he probably could put together a solid staff.
Adam Gase - No, no, no. That Broncos offense could have made Joe Philbin look like a genius. The Bears' offense was 23rd in points per game. This is fool's gold.
Doug Marrone - Nice hire. He went 9-7 with a mediocre Bills team. This is what you look for in a hire - a guy who can get the most out his players, not the guy coaching the best players.
Teryl Austin - Absolutely not. He is the Adam Gase of defense. He was an NFL defensive coordinator for one season.
Josh McDaniels - No way! This guy thought Tebow was a first round pick. If he looked at his mechanics and thought he was an elite QB prospect, he simply cannot evaluate talent. Remember when Cam Cameron thought that he could make John Beck a franchise QB.... That didn't last long, did it.
Matt Patricia - All of Belichick's "genius" disciples never seem to fly once they leave the nest.
Anthony Lynn - Like how is this even an option? Are you are gonna make a career running back coach a head coach? Let's not put the horse in front of the horse.
Dan Campbell - What's laughable is he isn't the worst name on this list.
Hue Jackson - I would be willing to overpay to get this guy. He is another guy who maximizes the players he coaches. Andy Dalton and Ryan Tannehill really are on the same level, but Jackson gets so much more out of him. Marvin Lewis does an exceptional job preparing coordinators. Look at Zimmer and Gruden. Zimmer is developing Bridgewater, the last pick of the first round, and Gruden is developing Kirk Cousins, a 4th round pick. What makes it so impressive is that every team in the NFL passed up on these players at least once, and both are looking promising. Both of these men came from a system where Andy Dalton, a 2nd round pick, has developed - again, every team passed him up as well. This is exactly what you should be looking for in a head coach a la Marrone. Don't look for a coordinator on a team with great players; look for the coach who is getting the most out of his players.

OnehondoOnehondoSupporter
Jan 4, 2016, 10:37 PM

Not a "wow" candidate in the bunch. But honestly, is there even a "wow" candidate out there?

smahtazsmahtazForum Veteran
Jan 5, 2016, 12:20 AM

Tom Coughlin has to be the front runner now.



It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. ~ John Wooden

NCNCPhinFanNew Member
Jan 5, 2016, 12:55 AM

Tom Coughlin is my number one choice. I'm on the fence about Shanahan and I would rather have Dan Campbell back than Mike Smith.

thisperishedminthisperishedminForum Veteran
Jan 5, 2016, 01:03 AM

The more I think about it...the more I could live with Campbell, Shanahan, Coughlin, Jackson, or Payton. Sadly we're only talking to two of them (so far).

The rest of the list scares me.

I'll withhold getting too excited in any direction for now. Only leads to disappointment.

EDIT: Just saw that we supposedly asked for permission to interview Hue Jackson. Promising - at least we're looking in a good place there.

Kud_IIKud_IIForum Veteran
Jan 5, 2016, 02:07 AM

We want HUE

Formerly known as IdrA,
formerly known as Kud.

ILDolPhanILDolPhanNew Member
Jan 5, 2016, 04:52 PM

"IdrA wrote:

We want HUE

I think he's the most attractive option from my viewpoint. QB guru...balanced offenses...maximizes talent...former players speak highly of him...should be able to control the locker room...chip on his shoulder from Oakland experience

Speaking of the Oakland experience...D coordinator choice wasn't the best (Bresnahan?). I've heard Schwartz as a potential option, but I've also seen his name attached to Marrone if he becomes a HC. Rumored power grab issues, but circumstances were unique with A Davis passing away. I'm sure things were chaotic. Maybe he threw players under the bus, maybe not.

Prior relationship with Tannenbaum would be helpful in defining roles in Miami, and this would be the most unity between front office and coaching staff since 2008.

Sounds like T Austin really wanted Miami as his first interview, which is very telling. Charley Casserly speaks highly of him, and several others have said he interviewed well last year. I guess he has a good staff in mind. Leader of men, and players play for him. Downside, only a D Coordinator for 2 years.