Are we in the market for Greg Olsen?

26 replies

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum VeteranOP
Mar 6, 2010, 10:08 AM

We know we need help at TE and Chicago looks like they are willing to trade him with their recent FA pickup at the position. Doesn't look like we are making any move at WR via FA, so maybe we can upgrade our TE position via trade.

thoughts?

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Mar 6, 2010, 10:09 AM

I doubt it, we put a tender on Fasano and the Bears pickup is a blocking TE, not a pass threat like Olsen.

SCSCPhinFanNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 10:11 AM

I hope not. I really do not want to give a 2nd rounder for him. We can pick up a real nice TE prospect in the 3rd-5th round in the draft. This draft is loaded with athletic, fast, pass catching TE's.

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 10:13 AM

"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:

I doubt it, we put a tender on Fasano and the Bears pickup is a blocking TE, not a pass threat like Olsen.

with martz being there the bears will be shopping olsen for pick thats why they brought in a blocking tight end.
they really have no need in that style offense for a pass catching TE especially one like olsen
with that said he is nothing special anyways.
save the draft pick for d help

FLflynryan151New Member
Mar 6, 2010, 10:13 AM

How about Schaffer from Denver is he still out there?

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Mar 6, 2010, 10:16 AM

"Killerphins wrote:

with martz being there the bears will be shopping olsen for pick thats why they brought in a blocking tight end.
they really have no need in that style offense for a pass catching TE especially one like olsen
with that said he is nothing special anyways.
save the draft pick for d help

I hear ya, but its still not the Bears way. I would be shocked if they trade him. They are still the Bears.

Martz does not last long where ever he goes.

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 10:21 AM

"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:

I hear ya, but its still not the Bears way. I would be shocked if they trade him. They are still the Bears.

Martz does not last long where ever he goes.

they will be looking to put up as many points as possible but olsen doesnt fit and they desperately need picks
with the lame duck coaching situation and a gm in angelo who is barely hanging on look for them to pull out all the stops and do what they can to throw together a good season
that is why they spent so much money on peppers
they will spend whatever is needed regardless of the future
they also need OL help real bad

DADaytona FinForum Veteran
Mar 6, 2010, 10:22 AM

i keep hearing someone might snag fasano but i doubt it. i like what i saw in kory sperry, hopefully the FO feels the same and keeps him. i would like to see us grab a late round TE in the draft. we need to find someone that henne feels comfortable with for the long term not someone just to come in for a year or 2.

Daytona Fin

Finatic8480Finatic8480New Member
Mar 6, 2010, 10:29 AM

If Fins sign a FS, I have no problem with them giving a second for Olsen.

Follow me at www.twitter.com/robi2184, always updating Dolfans with the latest Miami Dolphins news.

Zach Thomas: I played against New England twice a year every year my whole career. I learned to not like that team. I wasn't going to join them.

DADaytona FinForum Veteran
Mar 6, 2010, 10:33 AM

"Finatic8480 wrote:

If Fins sign a FS, I have no problem with them giving a second for Olsen.

no way our FO uses a 2nd rounder on a TE, not even for a 3rd.they wouldnt give up a 3rd for boldin, but you think a 2nd is okay for a TE?

Daytona Fin

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 10:33 AM

"Finatic8480 wrote:

If Fins sign a FS, I have no problem with them giving a second for Olsen.

no way i would do that
still too many needs on defense to give up a second for an over rated TE
Olsen isn't worth that kind of comp come on now

FLflynryan151New Member
Mar 6, 2010, 10:34 AM

"Finatic8480 wrote:

If Fins sign a FS, I have no problem with them giving a second for Olsen.

Man I would rather see that second used for Cody. We need someone clogging the middle so Dansby can kill people!

markcaliusmarkcaliusNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 10:40 AM

"Daytona Fin wrote:

no way our FO uses a 2nd rounder on a TE, not even for a 3rd.they wouldnt give up a 3rd for boldin, but you think a 2nd is okay for a TE?

I can see it. Olsen is 6'6" with 4.5 speed from the '07 draft class. Boldin is at the tail end of his career with suspect durability.

There are going to be some good TEs available to us in the second round, but Olsen is probably as good and is proven.

I think we have less at TE than we do at WR.

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Mar 6, 2010, 11:14 AM

I'd pull hair out of my head if we're willing to part with a 2nd for Olsen but not a 3rd for Boldin.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 11:26 AM

don't think we are in the market
wonder how Turner would play out
as a WR/TE/Slot ie RedZone play-maker?
w/ the return of Pennington,
Pat white will be looking to blossom
in the WR corp, Special teams & WC
got a lot going on in the receiving department

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

GRgreasyObnoxiousNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 11:49 AM

"Finatic8480 wrote:

If Fins sign a FS, I have no problem with them giving a second for Olsen.

if you can't block in line as a TE, odds are our FO isn't looking at you, much less for a 2nd-round pick. i like Olsen as a receiving threat, but i don't think our FO is interested.

i could see the Patriots making a move for Olsen, unfortunately. he would be a good fit for their offense.

VIVisionNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 11:54 AM

As someone mentioned, I'd rather kick the tires on Scheffler. He could be had for a mid-rounder, or even a 2011 conditional pick (say a 5th that could become a 4th type deal).

It is a deep draft with pass catching TE's who can stretch the seams. Plus, Nalbone and Sperry are a couple of in-house bodies who could develop.

I'd rather spend the picks on making our defense better and getting a big-play WR.

MIm inoNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 11:59 AM

the only way i see us getting olsen is by player trade only and i dont think we have anybody worth a trade for olsen.we could send them penny for a little insurance if cutler comes out throwing picks galore again but they would want more than just penny maybe penny and one of our #2 wr's.

Mar 6, 2010, 12:04 PM

Olsen is one of the better pass catching tight ends in the game, I don't know why so many people think otherwise. However, he is not a good blocker which means, as someone else already pointed out, we won't be interested. That's the reason we traded for Fasano in the first place, because he is a solid blocking tight end.

MIm inoNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 12:12 PM

"Rocky Raccoon wrote:

Olsen is one of the better pass catching tight ends in the game, I don't know why so many people think otherwise. However, he is not a good blocker which means, as someone else already pointed out, we won't be interested. That's the reason we traded for Fasano in the first place, because he is a solid blocking tight end.

we dont neccisarily need a good blocking t.e thats what we have fasano and haynos for.bringing in a pass catching t.e will only benefit fasano as well.martin wasnt the gratest blocker either but he really helped opne up our offense and it showed when he left.

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Mar 6, 2010, 12:23 PM

"flynryan151 wrote:

How about Schaffer from Denver is he still out there?

how about getting his name right first

ClipseClipseNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 01:09 PM

"Vision wrote:

As someone mentioned, I'd rather kick the tires on Scheffler. He could be had for a mid-rounder, or even a 2011 conditional pick (say a 5th that could become a 4th type deal).

It is a deep draft with pass catching TE's who can stretch the seams. Plus, Nalbone and Sperry are a couple of in-house bodies who could develop.

I'd rather spend the picks on making our defense better and getting a big-play WR.

The Broncos's placed a second round tender on Scheffler. I like Olsen a lot, but if we were to take a TE with our 2nd round pick, I'd rather do it for a certain other Miami TE. Jimmy Graham is going to be great. Though I'm not too fond of drafting a TE so early, but I do think a pass catching TE may be better for Henne than a WR.

FLflynryan151New Member
Mar 6, 2010, 01:14 PM

"Al13 wrote:

how about getting his name right first

Well I got this thing called Hooked On Phonics, so it is a work inprogress. Thanks for your support :up:

ClipseClipseNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 01:15 PM

"Rocky Raccoon wrote:

Olsen is one of the better pass catching tight ends in the game, I don't know why so many people think otherwise. However, he is not a good blocker which means, as someone else already pointed out, we won't be interested. That's the reason we traded for Fasano in the first place, because he is a solid blocking tight end.

David Martin was far from a blocking TE though. And it's been reported the coaching staff is high on Jimmy Graham, he's a pass catching TE as well. So maybe they will go for a pass catching TE. Though I'm not sure it will be Olsen, possibly Watson or someone in the draft.

VIVisionNew Member
Mar 6, 2010, 02:02 PM

"R&R Express wrote:

The Broncos's placed a second round tender on Scheffler. I like Olsen a lot, but if we were to take a TE with our 2nd round pick, I'd rather do it for a certain other Miami TE. Jimmy Graham is going to be great. Though I'm not too fond of drafting a TE so early, but I do think a pass catching TE may be better for Henne than a WR.


Yes, they placed the tender on him, but they'll most assuredly trade him. He has fallen completely out of favor with Denver, and I think he could be had for less than a second. When I said kick the tires, I literally meant just inquire to his cost. If he can't be had for less, you don't make a deal.