Armstead expected to play in 2024

155 replies

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Feb 24, 2024, 10:52 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

The inordinate amount of injuries can be the reason why the downfall happened, not sure how you prove that it wasn’t..from a logical and practical perspective it makes more sense than saying “ no excuses”

Right. My next post clarified what I was getting at.

If injuries were the problem, and they were, then we should be moving on from players who season after season are injured, leading to ineffectiveness, not looking to further depend on them.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Feb 24, 2024, 10:56 PM

"danmarino wrote:

Having hindsight isn’t how you look at things like this. Pretending to know something others don’t because of that hindsight is just ignorance.

An All Pro LT for that money was worth the risk. If he was the only person on the oline to miss 7 games last year we would have been better off. That obviously didn’t happen, but his injury history had nothing to do with Connor’s ACL or Hunt’s hammy, etc.

Dan, dude, please just stop.

You are, WITH THE BENEFIT of hindsight, still arguing that it was a good signing. It wasn't. Him getting injured fucks the oline every season. I'm not arguing about the decision that was made a couple years ago. I'm saying it's stupid to continue to make the same decision, now that we've seen it to be a bad decision.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Feb 24, 2024, 10:58 PM

"danmarino wrote:

Tua
Holland
Waddle
Tyreek
Achane
JP
Chubb
Ramsey
Mostert
Sieler
Wilkins
AVG

12 (with most being top 10 in their position) starters acquired over the past 4-5 seasons. There are others.
Some of you guys need to stop listening to the negativity and BS from the trolls here.

And how many of those guys were injured? Lol

Listen, you know i was speaking about the wasted picks that we traded. Hell, we wasted picks moving up for Tua.

Akaie, jury is out still on Achane. Can he be durable? Was he a flash in the pan? Regardless, I don't like at those guys are the first rounders, which we had how many of those??

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Feb 24, 2024, 11:00 PM

"resnor wrote:

Right. My next post clarified what I was getting at.

If injuries were the problem, and they were, then we should be moving on from players who season after season are injured, leading to ineffectiveness, not looking to further depend on them.

Armstead sure I get that, he needs to restructure his contract asap, the rest of the injuries, hunt, Baker, Holland, Williams, Phillips you can’t put that moniker on them

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Feb 24, 2024, 11:03 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

Armstead sure I get that, he needs to restructure his contract asap, the rest of the injuries, hunt, Baker, Holland, Williams, Phillips you can’t put that moniker on them

I was speaking specifically of Armstead. It's ridiculous to continue to act like that was a good move.

Hell, we would be better off with a lesser player who stays healthy, because at least you would have consistent dependable play.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Feb 24, 2024, 11:05 PM

"danmarino wrote:

So 31 other teams had worthless drafts, too, huh?

You’ve been told right

Did I say we had worthless drafts? Again, you change my statement to argue. I says we wasted picks. We absolutely wasted picks.

As to the "you've been told right" comment, I can only assume that you don't understand sarcasm.

DPhinz_DphinzDPhinz_DphinzForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2024, 04:42 AM

"danmarino wrote:

See, it’s posts like this that make me laugh.
Armstead isn’t some iron man, but he’s not being paid anything close to the highest LT contract now or ever. He’s missed 10 games these past two seasons, which sucks, and his contract is prohibitive, but it’s not something outrageous for an oft injured LT of his caliber. Trent Williams signed a 6 yr $140m contract in 2021 and Armstead signed a 5 yr $75m contract in 2022. Williams missed 7 games over the last two years and has played 2 full seasons his entire career. If Armstead plays 13 games this year that would be great. 18 would be better, but we will see.

Correction...he's missed five games the past two years, and 7 games in the 4 years he's been on the 9ers.

Armstead, on the flipside, has missed 11 games in the two seasons with us.

His play/pay ratio is skewed on the side of wasted money...but we knew that going in.

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Feb 25, 2024, 08:30 AM

"resnor wrote:

Dan, dude, please just stop.

You are, WITH THE BENEFIT of hindsight, still arguing that it was a good signing. It wasn't. Him getting injured ****s the oline every season. I'm not arguing about the decision that was made a couple years ago. I'm saying it's stupid to continue to make the same decision, now that we've seen it to be a bad decision.

I said it was a good risk. In hindsight I wouldn’t sign him. You really need to do better at reading others posts because you do this often where you just believe someone says something they never did.

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Feb 25, 2024, 10:51 AM

"DPhinz_Dphinz wrote:

Correction...he's missed five games the past two years, and 7 games in the 4 years he's been on the 9ers.

Armstead, on the flipside, has missed 11 games in the two seasons with us.

His play/pay ratio is skewed on the side of wasted money...but we knew that going in.

Correction… he’s missed 9 full games during his four years in San Fran and in another handful he played less than 50% after being injured.

Also, when the 49ers brought him in he was injured a lot before in Washington and had missed 30 games in the 4 years before he got to San Fran. And yet the 49ers took a risk. It just so happens theirs paid better.

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Feb 25, 2024, 10:58 AM

"resnor wrote:

And how many of those guys were injured? Lol

Listen, you know i was speaking about the wasted picks that we traded. Hell, we wasted picks moving up for Tua.

Akaie, jury is out still on Achane. Can he be durable? Was he a flash in the pan? Regardless, I don't like at those guys are the first rounders, which we had how many of those??

So now an injury to a player means the draft sucks. When Brady tore his ACL or Marino tore his Achilles I guess them being drafted was stupid?

I don’t know what half of your post even reads. And the half that I can read still makes no sense.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2024, 11:00 AM

The Dolphins traded up for Tua?

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Feb 25, 2024, 11:02 AM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

The Dolphins traded up for Tua?

Shhhh…. If you disrupt their delusions we may lose some entertainment.

DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2024, 11:33 AM

I’m not sure how this impacts our salary cap but if I could I would Trade him! Won’t play 3/4 of the games. We did fine without him for the most part let’s continue the growth for other players.

DPhinz_DphinzDPhinz_DphinzForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2024, 11:48 AM

"danmarino wrote:

Correction… he’s missed 9 full games during his four years in San Fran and in another handful he played less than 50% after being injured.

Also, when the 49ers brought him in he was injured a lot before in Washington and had missed 30 games in the 4 years before he got to San Fran. And yet the 49ers took a risk. It just so happens theirs paid better.

Ok...count with me.

2020...https://www.nfl.com/players/trent-williams/stats/logs/2020/
2021...https://www.nfl.com/players/trent-williams/stats/logs/2021/
2022...https://www.nfl.com/players/trent-williams/stats/logs/2022/
2023...https://www.nfl.com/players/trent-williams/stats/logs/2023/

What is your source of information?

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2024, 12:27 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

Armstead sure I get that, he needs to restructure his contract asap, the rest of the injuries, hunt, Baker, Holland, Williams, Phillips you can’t put that moniker on them

Nah, let that contract expire - he's not a guy you want to push more dead money forward for.

"Dorfdad wrote:

I’m not sure how this impacts our salary cap but if I could I would Trade him! Won’t play 3/4 of the games. We did fine without him for the most part let’s continue the growth for other players.

Nobody is making that trade lol. Realistically we are either cutting him and dealing with the dead money, or letting him play out this last year and getting what we can out of him on the field before saying goodbye.

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Feb 25, 2024, 01:01 PM

"DPhinz_Dphinz wrote:

Ok...count with me.

2020...https://www.nfl.com/players/trent-williams/stats/logs/2020/
2021...https://www.nfl.com/players/trent-williams/stats/logs/2021/
2022...https://www.nfl.com/players/trent-williams/stats/logs/2022/
2023...https://www.nfl.com/players/trent-williams/stats/logs/2023/

What is your source of information?

He missed 2 in 2020
[ATTACH:full]

2 in 2021

[ATTACH:full]

3 in 2022

[ATTACH:full]

2 in 2023

[ATTACH:full]

2+2+3+2= 9

SpringveldtSpringveldtForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2024, 05:24 PM

"pumpdogs wrote:

It was a terrible signing to begin with.At the time we paid this guy the highest contract at his postion without him ever playing a full season.
Not his fault but his body is not durable enough to demand that type of money no matter how good he is when he is out there.

His contract actually took into account that he would miss games as it was way below market value for a player of his calibre. Top tackles that year were getting $20M per season while Armstead signed for $15M per season.

The contract basically expected him to miss 4 or 5 games per season.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2024, 07:10 PM

"danmarino wrote:

Shhhh…. If you disrupt their delusions we may lose some entertainment.

I thought I missed a big draft day trade in 2020.

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Feb 26, 2024, 10:06 AM

"Springveldt wrote:

His contract actually took into account that he would miss games as it was way below market value for a player of his calibre. Top tackles that year were getting $20M per season while Armstead signed for $15M per season.

The contract basically expected him to miss 4 or 5 games per season.

Lt is one of the top positions in the league maybe not for us having a Lefty qb but Why sign a part time player when u know he will miss 5 games and no clue at what point in season this will occur.What is the point?

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Feb 26, 2024, 11:05 AM

"pumpdogs wrote:

Lt is one of the top positions in the league maybe not for us having a Lefty qb but Why sign a part time player when u know he will miss 5 games and no clue at what point in season this will occur.What is the point?

Because he’s an All Pro. It’s not like this was unheard of. Trent Williams had missed 30 games in the previous 4 seasons before the 49ers signed him. And they signed him for nearly double the price that Armstead cost.

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Feb 26, 2024, 11:12 AM

"danmarino wrote:

Because he’s an All Pro. It’s not like this was unheard of. Trent Williams had missed 30 games in the previous 4 seasons before the 49ers signed him. And they signed him for nearly double the price that Armstead cost.

Not helping us sitting on sidelines for quater of season every year.Money should have been spend elsewhere especially since we don't even have a right handed Qb.
You seem to love Grier but how many playoff wins do we gave under him?
You act like this team can do no wrong like we were the Pat's with Brady.
How about drafting some decent lineman so we don't have to.pay for part time players.

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Feb 26, 2024, 11:17 AM

"pumpdogs wrote:

Not helping us sitting on sidelines for quater of season every year.Money should have been spend elsewhere especially since we don't even have a right handed Qb.
You seem to love Grier but how many playoff wins do we gave under him?
You act like this team can do no wrong like we were the Pat's with Brady.
How about drafting some decent lineman so we don't have to.pay for part time players.

Again, hindsight isn’t how this works.

If Trent Williams had not of stayed healthy that, too, would have cost the 49ers. Way more than the Dolphins paid mind you. The risk was worth it. Armstead is that good.

Other than to say that Grier is an average GM when have I mentioned him?

The lengths at which some of you go to in order to be angry is absurd.

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Feb 26, 2024, 12:12 PM

"danmarino wrote:

Again, hindsight isn’t how this works.

If Trent Williams had not of stayed healthy that, too, would have cost the 49ers. Way more than the Dolphins paid mind you. The risk was worth it. Armstead is that good.

Other than to say that Grier is an average GM when have I mentioned him?

The lengths at which some of you go to in order to be angry is absurd.

I didn't like the signing and when it happened so no hindsight for me.
I 100 percent disagree with you on this.
I love how u always have such nice things to say about people that don't agree with you.
This is why keyfin got along with some of us and not so much with u.

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Feb 26, 2024, 02:47 PM

"pumpdogs wrote:

I didn't like the signing and when it happened so no hindsight for me.
I 100 percent disagree with you on this.
I love how u always have such nice things to say about people that don't agree with you.
This is why keyfin got along with some of us and not so much with u.

That's fine. However, I don't really see you liking anything the Dolphins do so lets not pretend that you had some sort of great insight about the Armstead signing. IF we hadn't of signed him you'd probably be complaining about that, too. Everyone considered it a risk. Most objective and reasonable people considered it a good risk. Every single move in the NFL comes with some risk. You claim that you didn't like this particular risk...so what?

You disagree with me 100%? So if Trent Williams had played no more than 13 games a season since he's been in San Fran you would still think his signing was a good thing? His contract was more than double what Armstead got and he missed 30 games before he went to San Fran. Why then would you not like the Armstead signing when it happened?

If your feelings get hurt over my frankness maybe just skip over my posts. I'm straightforward and call it how I see it. I'm extremely reasonable and friendly to those that are reasonable and friendly. If something is absurd, I'll say it's absurd. If that's somehow being mean to you I don't know what else to say.

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Feb 26, 2024, 03:15 PM

"danmarino wrote:

That's fine. However, I don't really see you liking anything the Dolphins do so lets not pretend that you had some sort of great insight about the Armstead signing. IF we hadn't of signed him you'd probably be complaining about that, too. Everyone considered it a risk. Most objective and reasonable people considered it a good risk. Every single move in the NFL comes with some risk. You claim that you didn't like this particular risk...so what?

You disagree with me 100%? So if Trent Williams had played no more than 13 games a season since he's been in San Fran you would still think his signing was a good thing? His contract was more than double what Armstead got and he missed 30 games before he went to San Fran. Why then would you not like the Armstead signing when it happened?

If your feelings get hurt over my frankness maybe just skip over my posts. I'm straightforward and call it how I see it. I'm extremely reasonable and friendly to those that are reasonable and friendly. If something is absurd, I'll say it's absurd. If that's somehow being mean to you I don't know what else to say.

I'm not sensitive at all and u come.across very condescending to most on here and trust me would not be the case in person with me at least but if u makes u feel better being a keyboard bully go for it.
And if u saw my posts early in the season u would see many positive posts from me but once again team let me down as usual.
I apparently have higher standards than you!