1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artificial Sweeteners Part 1- a slow death! Please read if you use them

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ToddsPhins, Aug 19, 2010.

1. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I would say that among the things that are natural we have a greater understanding of which of those are good for us and which are bad. That's simply b/c we have thousands of years of observational trials. When it comes to to the man-made stuff we really don't know what all the effects are. Reality is that the list of stuff we don't know about our own bodies is longer than the list of stuff we do know. The best we can do is apply our limited knowledge and (as an example) say we can't explain why type 2 diabetes is increasing at epidemic proportions in countries where artificial sweeteners are extensively used. Scientifically, we can't find a cause and effect relationship and it is possible that the cause is something else entirely. But there certainly have been some clues that artificial sweeteners may be related. IMO those clues strong enough that I'm not inclined to just trust the opinions of companies chasing a profit or the scientists they've bought, but that's just me.

NaboCane and ToddsPhins like this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    For someone who is basing his whole argument on (1) his family's personal bad experience with diet drinks and (2) assuming that his problems apply generally to everyone and everyone should stop drinking anything with sucralose you should be the last one to accuse anyone of speculating.
    You don't have anything close to evidence that people's hepatic and renal functions can't handle one drink a day. I base my advice on the fact that I have a much better understanding of the body's abilities to rid the body of xenobiotics than you do. I never said anything absolutely, that's much more of your "sucralose is going to kill you" rant.

Stitches and AbideN703 like this.
  3. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    I think it's safe to assume that Todd and his family shouldn't even think of soda for the rest of their lives. As for the rest of us, if it's worked out so far for you, why stop now? We're all different and can handle things in unique ways.

One life, one love. Have fun!

Stringer Bell and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    That's the same exact attitude that smokers have when they're in the prime of their life....... then all of a sudden if something serious happens, that whole "one life, one love" mentality is reduced to a pile of manure and they wish they had it ALL to do over again.

The fact is: NONE of us know when something will arise if we're subjecting our body to potential health risks. Am I saying: "dont eat junk food etc for the rest of your life" blah blah blah? No. Am I saying: "If you don't eat with perfect health in mind at ALL times, you're gonna die"? No. I'm saying to avoid chemicals b/c they can do some serious irreparable damage, and it can sneak up on you in a hurry. Do you seriously think this is ONLY related to family and I? No offense, but you're delusional if you think this a freak thing that ONLY happened to my family and I. Go back and read in the other post how the FDA handled aspartame issues.

If you want to take the chance that you'll skate through life unharmed, then that's your choice of course. Ask a cancer patient how much fun chemo is at ripe young 38? (I've seen it first hand; it's not pretty)..... or talk to a 45 year old who's forced to retire b/c his Parkinson's has become too extreme (seen that too and it's really sad)...... or ask a 55 year old who has Alzheimer's where she parked her car (at least she can hide her own easter eggs, so membership does have its benefits). You think any of those people thought it would happen to them? Your approach to life is very naive. Yes, you DO only have "one life"...... so make it count b/c there are NO do-overs once you've f'd it up.

The manner in which you're speaking is of a person who wants to coast through life without any responsibilities, so that if something DOES go wrong, they don't have to blame their own actions for it.

It's pretty easy to maintain YOUR mindset if you haven't experienced any serious health issues that could've been easily avoided. I was like you once too, but my ignorance got the best of me. That's the problem with America!... people are too damn ignorant in this country. That's why we're so sick and diseased!! We're a reactive society as a whole, instead of being proactive. We go about our merry way consuming crap that has health risks until something bad happens, and then we spend money and time trying to repair the damage, if it even IS fixable. All along it could've been prevented by being proactive and practicing at least decent health while avoiding things that potentially harm us. I used to think that people who talked about artificial sweeteners causing cancer etc were a bunch of sissy worry worts. :yes: I used to laugh at talk like that, partly b/c I believed the system TOO f'n much and believed that "Well, the product is legal; it's in everything, it's offered everywhere, so it can't be as bad for us as some of these quacks are making it out to be." I laugh at myself now for being that narrow minded and viewing life through rose colored glasses.

I wish you the best of luck in your approach. And by the way.... your reasoning of the "possibility of getting hit by a truck tomorrow" is not an excuse to avoid responsibility, ignore health, and eat as much crap as you want. The probability of serious health issues arising from being hit by a bus, a falling coconut, lightening, mugging, etc are astronomically low compared to the health risks associated to artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, processed foods, pesticides, fast foods, antibiotic filled foods etc. Don't forget, the fat slob couch potato (on top of his health risks) still has the equal probability of getting hit by lightening of slipping and cracking his head....... ALTHOUGH, being a fat slob, he probably has a higher chance of an accident compared to someone who is fit and in shape who has better responsive reflexes & coordination with sharper mental acuity.

:wink2:

5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    As of 1995, when the FDA was quoted as saying they stopped accepting adverse reaction reports on aspartame, over 75% of the adverse reactions reported to the FDA Adverse Reaction Monitoring System (ARMS) were due to aspartame.

You're right; it's only MY family.... what was I thinking!! Actually, I was the one who made ALL those calls to ARMS. :glare: Maybe you should re-read the bold statement a few hundred times until it kicks in, and then get back to me.

Of the 90 non-industry-sponsored (independent) studies, 83 (92%) identified one or more problems with aspartame (6 of the 7 who claimed no problems were FDA sponsored. Go figure). Of the 74 aspartame industry-sponsored studies, all 74 (100%) claimed that no problems were found with aspartame.

No offense, but I'll trust an independent study over "your assessment" or an industry sponsored study any day of the weak. I guess the 83 "independent studies" finding problems lack merit, where as the 74 "industry sponsored studies" finding zero problems is completely trusting. You must work for the "industry". :up: It saddens me that when YOU put 2 + 2 together you get 5. With a science background, I'd think you'd be better at math TBH.

Is your advice the same as the "industry study" scientists from above? Now youre all of a sudden reducing the entire argument to "one drink a day"? How convenient for you. :wink2: Do you have a log of ALL the people who reported adverse reactions to ARMS to know just how many drinks they did or didn't have? Would you like blood work from my step daughter showing proteins in her urine? (for those who don't know, that deals with renal issues). Would that suffice for starters? How about my blood work showing elevated liver and kidney enzymes? It's well documented that aspartame elevates liver enzymes.

BUT AGAIN, you are COMPLETELY IGNORING the intestinal problems that sucralose causes that are entirely independent from hepatic and renal functions!!!! WHY ARE YOU NOT ADDRESSING THIS HEALTH RISK????????

NO RESPONSE ABOUT THE DEHYDRATION ASPECT EITHER HUH? It's probably wiser that you concede that aspect.

Sooooo, hepatic and renal functions aside, we know that sucralose effects your digestive system by 50%...... and we also know that it can dehydrate your body leading to cardiovascular disease and poor health.... but I guess these really aren't much to worry about. :glare:

Boik14 likes this.
  6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Aspartame is a neurotoxin whose by-products can bind to specific receptors within the brain and nervous system. Because of this, Aspartame appears to cause slow, silent damage, especially in the brain and nervous system, in those unfortunate enough to not have immediate reactions to it. For such people, it may take one year, 5 years, 10 years, or 40 years, but it seems to cause some reversible and some irreversible changes in health over long-term use. This is why it's well known that aspartame is linked to severe depression.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA

I think someone needs to calm down a bit. While I will give you credit for being smart enough to sift through the data on the internet, I'm not going to sit here and try to refute every single point you make in your argument because your conclusions are overly simplistic and naive TBH.

just this statement alone "dehydrate your body leading to cardiovascular disease" shows a lack of understanding of cause and effect. I have not argued against dehydration, I'm arguing against your "deadly effects".

Did you ever stop and think that maybe the reason your family reacts so poorly to sucralose is because there is something else wrong inside of you that makes you more susceptible to these problems when you ingest sucralose? You can keep quoting results from independent studies, but without delving into the actual experiments and controls, you can NOT tell the severity or extent of the actual problem. And when you've seen enough experiments done on both humans and animals you realize that there are very few substances in the world that don't cause liver enzyme elevations in at least a few people/animals in the study. It's called diversity among the population. I guarantee that you give a hundred people good size doses of these natural supplements and a few of them will report diarrhea or LFT or headaches. You know what the simple solution is? if you notice these side effects, stop taking the substance. If you are doing okay and are otherwise healthy, then your body is probably processing the xenobiotics without accumulative damage. SOmething you fail to comprehend.

And one final point to address your "chemicals are evil, pharma is evil!" rant.
    You talk about how all these diseases are likely linked to xenobiotics (which in some cases is definitely true, but only in conjunction with other factors such as environment, pollution and genetic predisposition). But when your loved ones contract these diseases and start dying the first thing you're going to do is hope that some evil pharma company has a treatment for what is killing your loved one. This I know first hand since i've had family members die of diabetes, cancer, cardio and cystic fibrosis.

Will I give you that the giant pharma like Pfizer and Merck and GSK are evil conglomerates of greedy bastards? absolutely. but to pull all pharma/biotech and chemicals into this excuse of what's killing everyone is just plain stupid. When one of my only 2 cousins died of cystic fibrosis, there was no good treatments for CF. Now my company has a drug that shows strong evidence that we may be able to double the life expectancy of the majority of CF patients. THAT is Friggin HUGE to a CF patient, and I can't state that enough. We will make very little profit from this drug when you consider the hundreds of millions that it cost to develop it and the fact that CF is an extremely small market, but we are still pushing ahead.
    Secondly, we finish our last Phase III clinical trial for a drug that will actually CURE Hepatitis C. Not treat, but actually cure. Again, an astounding breakthrough that revolutionizes the field of virology and will save millions of lives.

So, sit on top of your soapbox and spew the evil that is chemicals and pharma. We'll see how you feel when the doctor someday presents you with the scenario that they may have an experimental breakthrough treatment that could save your life or your step-daughters life. Are you going to turn it down based on principle? I seriously doubt it. Are there greedy companies like J&J that are probably minimizing the side effects of sucralose. You bet. But on the flip side of the coin, all that money they make helps other areas of R&D develop something that is actually worth talking about.

Stitches likes this.
  8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    For anyone who wants to read the "supposed" aspartame conspiracy in entirety, pull up a seat:
    The multi-billion dollar aspartame industry would like you believe that "aspartame kills" is an "urban legend" and that you'd have to drink 100 cans of diet soda a day to be harmed by aspartame. This is just simply not true. Their main claim is that the 3 components of aspartame are found in many natural foods and are therefore safe. This is kind of like saying carbon monoxide is safe because all it contains is carbon & oxygen, the same components of carbon dioxide. Methanol (wood alcohol), which makes up 10% of aspartame and is highly toxic (adult minimum lethal dose is 2 teaspoons), is also found in some fruits & vegetables like tomatoes.

However, methanol is never found in natural foods without ethanol & pectin, its "antidotes" if you will (detailed facts below). Ethanol & pectin prevent methanol from being metabolized into formaldehyde (embalming fluid) & formic acid (same chemical as fire ant venom), both deadly toxins. An ethanol drip is even the standard emergency room treatment for methanol poisoning. Aspartame contains no ethanol or pectin, therefore the methanol is converted to formaldehyde and formic acid.

Phenylalanine and aspartic acid, the other 2 components of aspartame, are amino acids found in natural foods but always as part of long chains of many different amino acids to form complex protein molecules that take humans 12 hours to gradually break down & assimilate. According to the doctors, when consumed by themselves these 2 amino acids require no digestion and quickly enter the brain & central nervous system at abnormally high levels, overstimulating brain cells to death and causing many other health problems.

"Pro" aspartame people point to industry sponsored short term tests, ignoring independant tests. They point to "reliable" health sites, organizations, foundations etc. that are sponsored, funded & fed "facts" by companies that profit from aspartame. And of course, the FDA approved it so "it must be safe", neglecting to mention that the FDA denied aspartame approval for over 8 years until the newly appointed FDA commissioner Arthur Hull Hayes overruled the final scientic review panel, approved aspartame, and then went to work for G.D. Searle's (initial owner of aspartame) public relations firm at $1,000 a day. Hayes has refused all interviews to discuss his actions. The FDA also urged Congress to prosecute G.D. Searle for "specific false statements or concealed facts" stemming from Searle's testing of aspartame. However, the 2 government lawyers assigned to the case decided against prosecuting G.D. Searle and then joined G.D. Searle's law firm! Gotta love the corruption in this country!!

9. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Again, you are wrong. the by-products (aspartic acid and phenylalanine) are not neurotoxins. while methanol is toxic, you are exposed to methanol and other alcohols that are broken down to methanol from many different sources every single day. It's very easy for a study to blame one compound, but that's because they designed the study to pinpoint aspartame. At least your argument for sucralose holds some water. your aspartame argument holds none whatsoever.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Seriously, this paragraph alone shows that you have absolutely zero knowledge of what goes on in the human body and someone with a BA in biochemistry would find it laughable. You should really stop. It's getting absurd.

11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I said Pharma as a whole is a problem. Just b/c there are some companies that do good, that doesn't mean the industry as a collective is all of a sudden respectable.

ALSO..... I've never said a word about the chemical drugs not helping society WHEN THEY ARE IN NEED OF THEM, like diabetes etc. Those victems don't really have a choice. What I am against are chemicals and man-made crap when it's not being used to treat illness or disease (like artificial sweeteners) or when it's effects are covered up (like Vioxx) and consumers are mislead to where the drugs can cause more harm than good. There's a big distinction between the 2.

Also, when it costs SO MUCH to get a drug to market, I'd have a hard time believing that morals and ethics become a priority. I'm ecstatic that companies like yours exist that help to maintain some semblance of moral balance.

12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I tell you what.....then why don't you tell me what's causing all the world wide documented health reactions to aspartame. If none of the reasons (that you're arguing against), then maybe your "BA in biochem" self can enlighten us what in aspartame actually IS the culprit. Please, by all means, the floor is yours. If you want to oppose the well documented side effects of aspartame, then that is truly what would be laughable.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Yes, it does show a lack of understanding of cause and effect on your part. :wink2:

With your biochem background, would you please explain to us the key simple factors to producing ethanol?.... and does ethanol have a dehydrating affect on the body?

14. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It's your "well documented" that I take issue with. The American Cancer Society says something very different than your OPINION. The total number of people having health issues from aspartame is microscopic compared to number of people having problems from something as ordinary as caffeine or eating beef. If I went into my stockroom and gave you a dose of pure caffeine you would be poisoned and likely die soon thereafter. It does not mean I am going to run around screaming " caffeine is a killer!". Because I have the basic understanding that the averAge person ( yes there are exceptions) can handle normal doses of caffeine. But if some academic " independent" researcher is trying to make a name for himself, it 's in his best interest to try and connect the dots to say caffeine causes 50 different ways to death. Academic labs are no different than scientists, doctors, surgeons or nurses . Some are brilliant, and some have no business being in their respective fields.
    I will take the experts at ACS over your studies any day of the week.

15. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Yes, it's called the krebs cycle. Look it up. It dehydrated, but guess what? The body has ways to compensate for it . For those of us stupid enough (present company included) to drink too much occAssionally resulting in a hangover, you have pushed your body too far, but again the body can recover as long as you don't keep doing it. So if you feel like drinking a 6 pack of come zero everyday I am sure you might feel some dehydration

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    So you disagree that: 1. the body produces cholesterol during chronic dehydratation as a means of protecting its cells' health from losing water during the process of osmosis...... OR 2. Blood pressure rises in an effort to force blood, water, nutrients through this waxy cholesterol coating into the cells..... OR 3. Chronic High blood pressure as a result of chronic dehydration causes heart problems. ?????

who said I was even talking about the soda itself?? There are other factors that you aren't considering. I'll address them after you tell me about ethanol. LOL

17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    To clarify...... Are you saying that amino acids don't have different affects on the body depending on what other amino acids are or aren't with them?

18. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Wow, your google searching and copying skills are dazzling. This reminds me of when the Jehovah witness used to try and explain the existence of god using science. A little bit of knowledge without context can be dangerous.
    So now we are moving onto ethanol and dehydration. So how many diet sodas do we have to drink to generate enough dehydration to equal one glass of wine which is considered healthy despite the small amount of dehydration it causes?
    If I was one of the contractors I saw yesterday drinking a 2 liter of diet coke every day, then your rant might worry me, but you're trying to convince the members here that might consume 1, maybe 2 drinks a day that they will have cardio issues. Laughable

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    My humblest apologies!!! The nerve of me to believe that someone other than yourself has the ability to retain knowledge! :smackhead: :theman:

Sorry to deflate your pompous arrogance, but intelligence isn't limited to only you. I can speak for hours on end about this stuff with not so much as a computer in sight.

Since you continue to avoid my question about ethanol and continue to falsely assume that I'm relating it (and dehydration) directly to the diet soda's properties, then I'll just go ahead and address the issue. This "issue" relates to sucralose effecting intestinal flora. And we're suddenly "not moving onto it". You've been stalling about elaborating on it.

I'm not sure if you knew this, but humans have intestinal candida yeast. Considering sucralose effects our intestinal flora by 50% as a Duke study concluded, then would you please Google candida yeast overgrowth (candidiasis or systemic candidiasis) and see what you come up with in relation to ethanol or acetaldehyde.... and then tell us how chronic dehydration can result. I've known the answers (in depth about candidiasis) for years, but I don't feel like spending the time creating a long post when you can simply GOOGLE it. :wink2:
    If you'd like to copy and paste ALL the serious health risks associated with intestinal candidiasis, then you're more than welcome to.

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    NO. The insides of me were fine and I was in phenomenal health prior; it wasn't until after drinking this stuff for a while that my insides experienced problems. My underlying cause was systemic candidiasis. Sucralose effects intestinal flora which can cause candidiasis. End of story. I quit drinking the stuff, addressed the issues involved, and my health cleared up (my nervous system and mental acuity do not feel the same and my digestive system is more sensitive than it was prior but I think that has more to do with some mild permanent damage). If there was something else wrong internally, then I'd still be sick, wouldn't I..... b/c I would've been treating the wrong problem.

sorry buddy...... but when I WAS in this scenario where I WAS in need of some serious help, modern medicine and pharmaceutical drugs couldn't offer s#!t for me, so please preach to someone else. Trying to treat my step daughter for epilepsy also shut down her pancreas and made her a diabetic for life. But her insulin injections help her diabetes so I guess we're 1 for 3. Am I saying that all medicine is bad? Heck no. But it doesn't change the fact that nearly 800,000 people in the US die annually from conventional medicine mistakes (which includes pharmaceutical drugs). Statistically wise, that's about as equal of a health risk as being an obese, smoking alcoholic who likes to asphyxiate while masturbating. Personally, I'd rather subject myself to good health so I don't put myself in the position to become another statistic.

I know it must be a tough thing to stomach knowing you work in an industry that's responsible for a death every 5 minutes from properly prescribed pharmaceutical drugs...... and is the 4th leading cause of death behind heart disease, cancer, and stroke. Anything that spews from a chemists mouth I take with a grain of salt due to how often you guys are wrong or intentionally misleading (or mislead). For all the good that drugs "can" do, there are just as many negative examples. The US is the runaway leader of pharmaceutical drug consumption. Has that changed our health as a nation? F no! We're one of the most diseased and health-problematic countries in the world!! You'd think we'd be MORE healthy with being the world leader in spending money on health care, research, and development, etc, but the opposite couldn't be more true.

*Our life expectancy ranks 42nd in the world..... where as 20 years ago we were 11th.
    *Global cancer rate is expected to double to possibly 15 million by 2020. Lot of good the "advancements" of modern medicine are doing here!!!
    *Every 70 seconds a person in the US develops Alzheimer's and is now estimated that roughly 1/8 baby boomers alive today will develop it.
    *Every 9 minutes a person in the US now develops Parkinson's.
    *Autism increased 54% from 2005-2009. From once being 1/5000 is now down to 1/100. (a claimed 50% of these have gastrointestinal disorders)
    *Autoimmune disorders are at a whopping 23 million (or 1/13)
    *Intestinal disorders are skyrocketing
    --It's a nice coincidence that, as more and more man-made crap is introduced to the world, the higher the rates of disease and illness become.

Now you're trying to draw a health risk similarity between "good size doses of natural supplements" to pesticides and pharmaceutical drugs? Cry me a river will ya!!! Now who's the one being dramatic and hypocritical?!!

According to the US National Poison Data System, there was not a SINGLE death in 2008 caused by nutritional supplements!! That means zero deaths from multi-vitamins; zero deaths from any of the B vitamins; zero deaths from vitamins A, C, D, or E; and zero deaths from any other vitamin.

Additionally, there were no deaths whatsoever from herbal products. This means no deaths at all from blue cohosh, echinacea, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, kava kava, St. John’s wort, valerian, yohimbe, Asian medicines, ayurvedic medicines, or any other botanical. There were zero deaths from creatine, blue-green algae, glucosamine, chondroitin, melatonin, or any homeopathic remedies.

Furthermore, there were zero deaths from any dietary mineral supplement. This means there were no fatalities from calcium, magnesium, chromium, zinc, colloidal silver, selenium, iron, or multimineral supplements.

FYI: (and I Googled this) 61 poison centers provide coast-to-coast data for the U.S. National Poison Data System, which is then reviewed by 29 medical and clinical toxicologists.

According to the NPDS, alternative medicine treatments resulted in only 38 major reactions in 2008 (zero deaths). This needs to be asterisked with the fact that TOO many people don't know what the heck they're doing and don't receive the proper education from the people who should be providing it (like the medical community and our government). On the other hand, acetaminophen alone resulted in 511 major reactions and 43 deaths.

Despite this, the corrupt FDA sends out purposefully misleading messages warning us that vitamins etc can be toxic and consumers should beware OOOGY BOOOOGY BOOOGY!!!! Like you say, anything in excess can be toxic. However, vitamins at the recommended dosage and of proper quality are not a health risk. On the other hand, pharmaceutical drugs at proper dosage still kill a person every 5 minutes..... but the FDA doesn't warn s#!t about this to us!! Then we get the scrupulous pharmaceutical companies paying off "experts", officials, organization members, and other quacks to throw scare tactics at the public like: "MSM has shown to cause sterility in worms." To which I say: "Go f#@k yourselves!!" Any time a quality health supplement is recognized (like MSM), they blast the hell out of it b/c they don't want the public to know that there are ACTUALLY <get this> alternatives to pharmaceutical drugs for health treatments. I know..... tough concept to grasp.

By the way, my wife's chemo treatments were seeing little effect until she listened to me and sought natural methods. Her oncologist told her that "whatever she's doing on the side, to keep doing it b/c her mer markers were dropping heavily". And now she's cancer free.

21. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Wow, this is getting good. the majority of those 800,000 deaths are due to misdiagnosis and prescription by the doctors. but you go ahead and try to relate it back to the scientists who did the original work if it makes you feel better, but the connection isn't there. The misleading starts many years after it leaves the chemists bench with the marketing and business depts warping the truth and leads into doctors misprescribing.

You think the life expectancy of our citizens is due to pharma or think it should be better because of how much money we spend? pretty naive statement. Maybe it has something to do with our fat, lazy, decadent lifestyle in America that is the underlying root of the nations' health problems.
    The real question is how many more people would be dead without modern medicine and how dramatic would our ranking drop. The only relevant example to your argument is the overuse of antibiotics in this country. The majority of the blame there is with the prescribing doctors giving a prescription to anyone with a fever along with the patients rarely complying with the regiment resulting in runaway resistant strains of bacteria. Doctors need to learn that for bad colds to tell the patients to stop acting like babies, go home, take some damn tylenol and ride it out.

-There are over 200 types of cancer. Despite what people claimed in the 90s, there will never be a cure-all for cancer. there are some types of cancer where the treatments are becoming more effective, but in most cases, it just prolongs time-to-death by 6-24 months. But stating global cancer rates are doubling and medicine is doing nothing to help is again ignorant and naive and it's trying to link 2 things together that shouldn't be. Global cancer rates are doubling because of massive overpopulation in a world that is filled with incredible amounts of air, water and soil pollution.

And you can pull these stats out of your arse all day, doesn't mean anything.
    - OMG! every 70 seconds someone develops alzheimers. Yes, because the baby-boomer population has reached that age, so naturally the alzheimers rate is going to sky-rocket.
    -and autism rates haven't physically increased from 1/5000 to 1/100, it's the awareness that has increased. again, it's naively plucking stats out of a study without context. I have a child with autism and can state very plainly that many cases of autism that are diagnosed today would have just been looked at as "slow" kids or problem-child when we were young. They have also rapidly expanded the "autism-umbrella" for the sake of developmentally challenged kids, so naturally, the incidences will increase. Is it possible that external factors such as pollution or food additives play a role in increased autism? you bet, but very naive to point you finger at one factor.
    -and autism has nothing to do with gastro-intestinal disorders. please don't make such stupid statements.

I never mentioned once about supplements and death. I simply mentioned that they could elevate liver enzymes the same as sucralose. You went there because you're desperately trying to mount a counter-argument

Additionally, there were no deaths whatsoever from herbal products. This means no deaths at all from blue cohosh, echinacea, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, kava kava, St. John’s wort, valerian, yohimbe, Asian medicines, ayurvedic medicines, or any other botanical. There were zero deaths from creatine, blue-green algae, glucosamine, chondroitin, melatonin, or any homeopathic remedies.[/QUOTE]

REally? that's absurd to twist that stat around. How about: pharmaceutical drugs fail to treat patients that are already dying.
    -and you talk about how absurd some of the studies are to scare people when you're basing much of your argument on a study that Duke did on sucralose in rats. Yes, high doses in rats everyday for 12 weeks will have an adverse affect. Doesn't mean it will translate to humans unless you either (1) drink huge doses of diet soda everyday or (2) you have some issue in your body that prevents you from properly handling a normal dosage of sucralose.

and I fully support health supplements as an alternative to prescription drugs, especially for non-life threatening issues, I actually encourage it.

I'm done arguing on this subject, we're just going around in circles. I'm not trying to diminish your opinion on natural based supplements, or living a healthy lifestyle without chemicals, more power to you. but I'm not going to sit around while you make these outlandish claims that diet soda is going to slowly kill everyone here just because you and your wife had an adverse reaction to it, especially when some of your claims (notice I said some, not all) are not based on real scientific data.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I know a lot of you guys prefer to live in the moment since you "never know when you're going to kick the bucket".

Personally, I'd rather attempt to live healthy and active life at least through my 70's before it starts getting bad. You know- the fun stuff like: peeing w/o the use of a bag, pooping outside of my boxers rather than in em, remembering the names of the current Miami players (maybe even my family's), visiting strip clubs, playing golf, watching football, taking vacations (that don't entail visiting a hospital in another state), being able to get my pecker up w/o a pump.... and then having the ability to use it, and NOT being cooped up in some nursing home where I'm eating a jello snackpack for lunch and dinner while listening to my nurse painfully describe how "exciting" tonight's shuffleboard competition will be now that Team B's star player fell from his wheel chair and broke a hip.

Choosing to prioritize the flavor of something b/c it "tastes good in the moment" doesn't seem like a fair trade off for potentially enduring cancer, neurological disorders, brain impairment, autoimmune disease, digestive disease, or cardiovascular disease. No offense to anyone, but the only sources of pleasure in life don't solely come from foods or beverages that are bad for us. TBH, the first problem society has is associating pleasure with food and using it as the motivating factor behind what we decide to eat. The purpose behind food is nutrition and sustaining proper health, not pleasure.

AbideN, you used an example of what you felt would be ironic about being healthy (the healthy guy getting hit by a mack truck vs the fat slob)..... also mentioned the "one live so enjoy it" philosophy...... and a handful of people share your sentiments. The true irony lay in the fact that: if 6 of you live your life in this manner, then the probability is that at least 1 of you 6 will most likely experience serious health issues as a result and end up regretting many choices you made until then. Now that's irony. It's like what was said to a group of soldiers heading off to Vietnam. "I want you boys to look around you. 10 of you boys are going over there, but only 7 of you are coming back."

23. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    If it took 40 years to appear in someone, who's to say in those 40 years said person won't develop some other disease they have to worry about? Cancer, an STD, high blood pressure, stroke, anything.

Life's ****ed up and it's going to end us all at some point. I'm sorry that some folks get depressed b/c they use aspartame in their icea tea. I do and I don't.

24. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    A lot of the problems the elderly have in their lives today cannot be blamed on themselves or anyone for that matter. People get sick no matter how hard they try not to. Can one even take measures to not get sick? Sick as in a lot more than just a head cold or whatever.

You mention not wanting to use boner pills. How does one go about living their lives to they never have to use them? Is ED preventable?

I'm not saying go out and eat Big Macs all day b/c you only have one life to live. But I personally will not stop putting some Equal in my unsweetened ice tea (b/c God forbid I drink sweetened ice tea with the calories and sugar) just b/c someone else has reactions to it. Is the fish I eat ****ed up? The eggs? The soda? The meat? Who knows!

How would you even go about your life trying to prevent these things from happening?

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  25. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Easy.... the same way many people are making a stand for health: limit exposure to chemicals, avoid exposure to heavy metals (stop using products that have aluminum in them like deodorants), avoid foods with pesticides (since there is an alternative), learn to want water instead of soda/other sweetened beverages since it's one of the most important aspects of health, avoid hydrogenated oils, stop or limit processed or enhanced foods (since there is a choice), switch from white rice to brown or wild, switch to 100% whole wheat bread, switch to whole cheeses, switch pasta to whole wheat pasta, limit or avoid bleached flour, eat a lot of raw foods (veggies, fruits, nuts), eat a cup of organic yogurt a day to help maintain a healthy digestive system, switch to organic dairy, avoid or limit meat chicken & pork that are pumped full of hormones/antibiotics, don't eat large predatory fish that are full of mercury, not be a smoker, limit alcohol consumption, limit high fructose corn syrup, limit the use fast foods, limit the use of candy&chips, try and get at least 7 hours of sleep/night- 8 if you can, take digestive enzymes with meals to better help break down foods, take a quality multi-vitamin/mineral, take a powdered greens drink, take a quality antioxidant if you're not getting enough raw fruits and veggies, take an EFA essential fatty acid supplement, get enough quality fiber, get enough iron & calcium. There might be some more things, but this is just stuff off the top of my head. If it's affordable there are a few extra health supplements that are beneficial.

26. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    that doesn't make it a reason to compound your problems. The human body is a remarkable thing. It's like a new engine. If you give it what it needs to function properly and maintain it, then TYPICALLY it's going to last a long time without problems or frequent mechanic trips. Yes, there might be the occasional lemon from time to time that cant be avoided, but for the most part it will be reliable and problem free.

If you ignore the engine's well-being, don't change the oil, give it regular gas when it needs premium etc, then sooner or later it's going to die on you...... and the longer the time passes, the higher the probability it becomes. Same for your body!!!! If you give it what it needs to function properly, maintain it, prevent giving it low quality fuel, clean it out from time to time, and avoid pouring sugar in the gas tank, then it too is designed to last a long time (and at a much more efficient and optimal level).

Your body is also extremely resilient IF you allow it to be; however most Americans don't. There might be the occasional lemon from time to time, but that fails mightily in comparison to the problems that WILL arise when you ignore your body's needs for health. It DOES have specific needs, and if you're NOT getting it those needs, then problems WILL arise. Nutrients perform specific roles, and if you're not getting ALL the nutrients your body needs for each role, then a problem WILL arise.

The options to maintain a healthy body are there. It's your choice whether or not you want to take advantage of them. It's also your choice whether or not you want to be diseased. Yes, there are lemons from time to time, but people shouldn't go through life making excuses for everything b/c they feel that they might end up being a lemon regardless. The higher probability is that they're not a lemon, but poor health choices will end up making them one.

27. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    How do these things prevent your pecker from needing medicine to achieve an erection or for dementia to not set in down the line?

You live in a bomb shelter don't you?

28. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Doubt it. Highly, severely, no way in hell, outrageously, insanely doubt it.

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    1 death every 5 minutes from PROPERLY prescribed pharmaceutical drugs. I added the other numbers in b/c you were preaching to me about how I might need a doctor's help to save my life one day, so I felt it was only appropriate to throw out the number of unnecessary deaths that the medical/pharmaceutical industry are responsible for annually.

yes. I do think that the reliance on synthetic pharmaceutical drugs that are being popped like Skittles IS reducing our life expectancy and creating unnecessary health problems BECAUSE the public is being intentionally brainwashed into thinking that synthetic drugs are the end all cure and only treatment options.

That is the REAL question. And the REAL answer is-- If modern medicine:
    1. Practiced preventative health care (including properly educating patients and advocating natural ways) rather than reactive "treatment care" based on slinging pharmaceutical drugs.
    2. Used pharmaceutical drugs "only when necessary" and as a backup to natural methods (which they won't b/c there's significantly less profit involved)
    3. Used surgery as a last attempt effort rather than seeing it as a huge dollar sign.......
    then our world ranking would drop dramatically!!! Our "modern medicine" approach currently has us 41st. Give me a break. If it got any lower we'd be a 3rd world country!

It's not even close to naive. Maybe ignorance on your part, but not naive on mine. Is our modern medicine (or these "life saving pharmaceutical drugs") slowing cancer rates? NO. That's the point. Read into it what you want. And, exactly- a world full of air, water, and soil pollution are a huge cause. So how do you make a distinction between chemically polluted soil and polluting the body with chemical drugs? Pollution is pollution. The massive amounts of chemicals being poured into our bodies via synthetic drugs is pollution as well. So yes, IMO, modern medicine practices and big pharma are contributing to the cause. Never said they were the main cause, just contributing.

I'd like you to go around nationally and tell teachers and schools that autism is not rapidly increasing.... and see how they look at you. :wink2: Awareness is increasing, yes, but that doesn't detract from the fact that autism rates are significantly higher AND climbing. Watch and see over the next few decades the correlation that's shown between autism (or all neurological disorders) and chemical/drug/heavy metal exposures.

Really?
    A new study conducted by Autism Speaks' Autism Treatment Network (ATN) shows that GI symptoms occur in nearly half of children with ASD, and the prevalence increases as children get older.
    Results of the study, and three others conducted by the ATN, will be presented Sunday, May 2 at the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) annual meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
    An estimated one in 110 U.S. children has autism, a group of complex developmental brain disorders that affect behavior, social skills and communication.
    The ATN, which includes 14 treatment and research centers in the United States and Canada, enrolls patients ages 2-18 years with a diagnosis of autism, Asperger's syndrome or pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified.
    In this study, researchers sought to determine how frequently parents of children enrolled in the network reported GI symptoms and what factors might be associated with these symptoms. Families filled out a battery of questionnaires, including a GI symptom inventory tailored to the needs of nonverbal children, a behavior checklist, sleep questionnaire and quality of life survey.
    Data from 1,185 children showed that 45 percent had GI symptoms at the time of enrollment, with abdominal pain, constipation and diarrhea reported most commonly. Reports of symptoms were more common in older children (39 percent of children under 5 years of age vs. 51 percent of children 7 and older).

Ummmm...... What were you saying now? :confused2:

I mentioned previously about autism and intestinal problems b/c chemicals, pesticides, & mercury are known causes of GI problems..... and coincidentally are related to neurological disorders. SO, if a pregnant mother is exposed to mercury, pesticides, and excessive chemicals, then there is a higher probability that her child will develop GI problems along with the neurological disorder. :wink2: It poses a stronger case for these "so called" dangers when a child has 2 related symptoms rather than just 1.... and makes the correlation a little harder to argue.

For someone who's talked incessantly about evidence etc...... then show me the evidence. Your statement is complete hogwash. There are fewer holes in Ray Liotta's face. Under a controlled experiment, a natural supplement under normal usage will NOT increase liver enzymes in any similarity to sucralose. Yeah, if you want to feed someone a pound of each I'm sure they'll both show elevated levels, but that's not very realistic.

you can blame our corrupt modern medicine practices for that who try to squeeze every penny out of a patient or insurance company even though a patient is terminal and the physician KNOWS that the treatment will be ENTIRELY ineffective. You can also thank the Big Pharma for their contribution as well..... and by contribution I mean kickbacks paid to physicians etc to push these drugs even though the physicians knows they won't be effective when their patients are already dying.

Yes, it will translate to humans...... only humans won't use it for just 12 weeks straight..... they'll use it for years straight. :wink2:

I'm done arguing on this subject, we're just going around in circles. I'm not trying to diminish your opinion on natural based supplements, or living a healthy lifestyle without chemicals, more power to you. but I'm not going to sit around while you make these outlandish claims that diet soda is going to slowly kill everyone here just because you and your wife had an adverse reaction to it, especially when some of your claims (notice I said some, not all) are not based on real scientific data.[/QUOTE]

Better to just agree to disagree on everything and leave it at that. :knucks:

30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    "these things" should keep you in proper internal health, including a healthy cardiovascular system..... b/c a healthy CVS is more likely to mean having a pecker that can achieve erection. A poor CVS is more likely to have a non-working willie.
    Similarly, erectile disfunction is a strong predictor that you will die from heart disease.

nope.... b/c that would mean canned goods..... and that means too many preservatives. :lol: :shifty:

To be honest. The key is to "trick" your brain into liking healthy foods (using positive reinforcement) b/c there is a psychological reward involved if it's done properly.... while negatively reinforcing yourself when you eat things you're not supposed to. If you practice it for a few months, you'll actually begin to enjoy all these healthy foods and develop an aversion towards all the crappy foods that taste good to you now. Once the crap stuff is out of your system for a few weeks, you begin to lose interest in it. Now, if I were to bite into a Snickers or eat a huge spoonful of Ben & Jerry's, it wouldn't do a thing for me.

Ironically, I enjoy eating the poorer tasting healthy foods even more than I did the yummy tasting crap b/c an hour later I feel better, and psychologically I feel MUCH better knowing that I actually am eating this stuff and have the willpower to control my diet rather than allowing my diet to control me....... and then I reward myself for eating well so that I reinforce the behavior. You can classically condition yourself to eat well just as you can classically condition a dog to come running when you ring a bell. If you feel you can't control something as simple as your diet, then what CAN you really control? It's all in the mind. Being able to control something as simple as a your diet is very empowering!! It's also extremely motivational. :wink2:

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    unless you've already been experiencing health issues from some predetermined genetic problem, then you can control whether or not you become diseased, or at least to a very high degree. I'm not talking about preventing disease once you're past your 70's. I'm talking about preventing disease when you're young and should be disease free. You can ignore me all you want, but I know what I'm talking about in regards to this stuff. Right now, as a male, you should live to at least 70, strictly probability speaking. People that practice good health are active and strong into their 70's, not on their death beds. You make it seem like disease during the prime of our life is inevitable for everyone, but it's not. Outside of a small margin of error, your health lay in your hands.

32. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    For the most part, if you take care of your heart, then your heart will take care of you. Simple enough.

Wrap your wiener and you 99.9% won't get an STD.

Give your body the proper nutrients (including vitamins, minerals, and water) it needs to function correctly and your cells will stay healthy/healthier and less likely to become problematic or cancerous...... Don't give your cells what they need and they'll respond by not functioning correctly.

Keep your insides clean rather than polluted/full of toxins, then you're MUCH less likely to develop cancer.

Easiest way to picture it is: to think of a grocery store in terms of how it would look if this were 400 years ago..... b/c what would be in THAT "grocery store" much more resembles what you should be eating before man-made, enhanced, and altered crap got involved. There wouldn't be an entire isle of crappy breakfast cereal for starters. The majority of items NOT present in this hypothetical store are things that should also NOT be present in your diet b/c nature didn't intend them to be.

33. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA

Ok, I have to stop you there. POORER TASTING healthy food??!?!? :pity: If we could stop ourselves from perpetuating this myth we'd stand a lot better chance at getting others to eat a more natural, healthy diet. :tongue2: Healthy food is QUITE good; most of the world eats natural, unprocessed, un-modified foods. Sizchuan hot pot, goat curry (from just about anywhere), coq au vin (the real kind), wild hog bbq, even a banana or mango/coconut slushee plucked straight from the neighbor's tree- what's not to enjoy? Or more to the point, how is any of that less tasty than a Lunchable and diet soda???

*And no, mango-coconut slushees do not grow on trees...I wish they did though.:lol:

34. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If anyone would like to read the actual report, here it is (although it is quite lengthy). http://www.dorway.com/bressler.txt

35. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I also find it quite ironic and oddly coincidental that, at the time of Aspartame's release, Searle & Co's (makers of Aspartame) business was divided among three principal areas: pharmaceuticals, medical instru-ments, and optical products, hospital, and laboratory products.

Why do some people (not mentioning names) believe that these chemicals pose little health risks while en route to being eliminated by the liver or kidneys etc despite OVERWHELMING PROOF AND DOCUMENTED CASES? This is not a naturally ocurring form of formaldehyde. Dr. James Bowen explained that the methyl alcohol of aspartame is arranged in such a fashion that it is “500 to 5,000 times more active in producing toxicity” than the methyl alcohol that is commonly found in alcoholic beverages. When will people learn that, despite the fact that "natural" and "man-made" may "appear" structured the same on paper, it does not mean they have the same effects on the body?!! Not to mention they may have entirely different effects on the body depending on what else accompanies them.

Case in point: Rice. Rice in it's "alone" state is a carbohydrate and provides the body with energy. When you consume rice with beans, their combined amino acids form a complete protein, which now makes it a building block for new tissue and repair. Same rice...... 2 different effects on the body.

How about "natural" Vitamin B12 verse it's synthetic form, cyanocobalamin? Natural Vitamin B12 has extremely low toxicity and, even taken it in enormous doses, appears not to be harmful to healthy individuals. However, the common synthetic form does NOT occur in nature, but is used in many pharmaceuticals and supplements, and as a food additive, due to its stability and lower cost. In the body it is converted to the physiological forms, methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin, leaving behind the cyanide, albeit in minimal concentration. Therefore, it doesn't shock me that Cyanocobalamin's list of reactions include: rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; calf pain, swelling, or tenderness; chest pain; feeling of swelling throughout the entire body; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; irregular heartbeat; muscle weakness or cramping; shortness of breath; unusual bruising or bleeding.

I'll re-emphasize an earlier point: Scientists, chemists, etc will most likely NEVER be able to effectively (if ever) harness and account for the "Human Element"..... b/c if you currently were capable of doing so, you "know-it-alls" would be successfully cloning humans. ;)

36. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    In case you're not being 100% sarcastic......
    Maybe you should ask the general public who drink useless sweetened liquids instead of body required water despite the cost being the same...... and while you have you have their attention, you can also ask them why they prefer a big juicy "heart attack waiting to happen" triple cheeseburger with upped-sized fries when a big salad full of nutrients is available at the same price. Or I bet you might find your answer if you spoke to the CEO of a major supermarket and asked him/her why they have SOOOO many processed, sweetened, enhanced, etc products on their shelves when healthy alternatives are available. I bet he or she would respond: "Because they like and prefer the taste of it. If the people keep buying it, we'll keep stocking it". :wink2:

For many Americans who were raised on this crap, the healthy alternative is an "acquired taste" for them..... plain and simple. If you give water and a salad to a person who is accustomed to eating: Corn Pops for breakfast; McDonalds and a sweetened drink for lunch; Rice a Roni, Mac n Cheese, and a fried pork chop for dinner........ then I'd love to see how many people DON'T respond "What the ef is this crap!? Give me my cheeseburger back!" <even if it means having to pay for the Value Meal despite the salad being free>

37. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    I'm in this thread aren't I?

38. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    Yes, I was being at least somewhat sarcastic. Why the example of a salad and water vs. rice-a-roni, mac-n-cheese and a fried pork chop?? What, are we in a Soviet Gulag now? You mean I can't cook, say, a paella, portion it properly and it still be good for me?? Say it ain't so Todd! :no: When you compare, to use a phrase, 'apples to oranges' like that, then yes, you are perpetuating a negative stereotype that eating for wellness, nutrition and positive biological results MUST by it's very definition by devoid of pleasure, taste and enjoyment. You and I both know that is TOTALLY not the case. :yes:

As to your point that we as a nation of omnivores are a product of mass-marketed crap comsuption, then yes, I agree. But you do both yourself and everyone else that consumes food for all the right reasons a grave disservice by essentially stating that "Yes, eating to promote health and wellness tastes bad- get used to it." It's not bad, just different. It's not like people are total morons (although there are some I wonder about).

I can't tell you how many people I've encountered that come to me WANTING to eat better, not just to feel better but to build their bodies up into a more efficient living organism (I'm paraphrasing here, but this is what they are trying to say:up:). These are the self-same people that you (rightly) accuse of a lifetime binge on big macs, diet sodas and HFCS-infused everything. And they are doing it of their own free will. I'm not pressuring them, preaching to them or lecturing them. I'm not even giving them horror stories of free radical liver buildup or bogging them down with fat facts and cholesterol charts. I'm just asking them one simple question:

"Try this; I think you'll like it...":shifty: The positive experience of beautifully tasting, wholesome, nourishing food will always trump whatever concoction the Mc-King can dream up- always.

At least, that's been my experience, and so that's what I choose to believe.:lol:

39. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    The life expectancy back then would still be a lot less than it is today.

40. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    I haven't had a double cheeseburger or 'real' Ben and Jerry's ice cream (not the frozen yogurt, which I love too) in a long time yet I still wouldn't mind having them. I control the **** out of my diet. I didn't lose 50 lbs in 6 months running from here to Florida every day.

But that still doesn't mean you can't have fun with eating.