Bengals hire Bill Lazor, re-hire Kevin Coyle

25 replies

FinSaneFinSaneForum VeteranOP
Jan 18, 2016, 10:59 PM

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article55345880.html

Kevin Coyle is headed back to Cincinnati. And he’s bringing Bill Lazor with him.

Coyle and Lazor were the Dolphins’ defensive and offensive coordinators this time last year. Now they will coach the Bengals’ secondary and quarterbacks, respectively.

For Coyle, it’s a homecoming. He coached the Bengals’ defensive backfield for nine seasons before joining Joe Philbin in Miami in 2012. He followed Philbin out the door after a 1-3 start to the 2015 season.

Lazor lasted a month longer than Philbin and Coyle, but shared their fate. All three were fired during the course of the 2015 season.

And now all three will serve in diminished roles for other teams. Philbin accepted a job as the Colts’ offensive line coach last week.

Lazor is back doing the job he did for one season in Philadelphia. But unlike Coyle, he has no past working experience with Bengals coach Marvin Lewis.

The Dolphins have made wholesale changes to their coaching staff in the past two weeks. They have hired Adam Gase as head coach, Clyde Christensen as offensive coordinator and Vance Joseph as defensive coordinator.

Joseph, ironically, was last the Bengals’ defensive backs coach. He and Coyle have now switched jobs.

Kinda ironic.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jan 18, 2016, 11:04 PM

Its pretty telling they can only get the same jobs they had before they came here.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jan 19, 2016, 12:26 AM

"Fin D wrote:

Its pretty telling they can only get the same jobs they had before they came here.

It is? Do most fired OCs/DCs immediately go into another OC/DC position and these two are the exception? I would have thought that the majority of fired coordinators (especially first timers) go back to position coaching for a bit before they get another shot. I wouldn't say this indicates anything at all. In five years if they have never risen above these hires then yeah sure, but otherwise it is just drawing the conclusion that you want to draw.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Jan 19, 2016, 01:05 AM

Tannekill gets you fired or demoted.

:D

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Jan 19, 2016, 01:25 AM

"Fin D wrote:

Its pretty telling they can only get the same jobs they had before they came here.

I guess Andy Dalton will no longer be able to audible



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Jan 19, 2016, 01:40 AM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

I guess Andy Dalton will no longer be able to audible

He's the QB coach, not OC.

Jackson was given a lot of credit for the Bengals offense and Dalton, and rightfully so. But Zampese's resume as QB coach is quite impressive. He's now the OC so the continuity is there.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Jan 19, 2016, 02:16 AM

"jdang307 wrote:

He's the QB coach, not OC.

Jackson was given a lot of credit for the Bengals offense and Dalton, and rightfully so. But Zampese's resume as QB coach is quite impressive. He's now the OC so the continuity is there.

Just a joke. I know he's the QB coach. It's a good gig for lazor. Personally i thought he did a good job with tannehill. He was hamstrung by our oline. I think he gave up on the run and deep pass a bit too quickly because of it but I can understand why he did it



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Jan 19, 2016, 12:30 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

It is? Do most fired OCs/DCs immediately go into another OC/DC position and these two are the exception? I would have thought that the majority of fired coordinators (especially first timers) go back to position coaching for a bit before they get another shot. I wouldn't say this indicates anything at all. In five years if they have never risen above these hires then yeah sure, but otherwise it is just drawing the conclusion that you want to draw.

Ones with proven systems do. youre never going to see Scott Linehan as anything less than offensive coordinator.

I think Linehan is the best OC we Have had the past fifteen years, with Norv being a close second.. He would have been good for Tannehill..

finfansince72finfansince72Supporter
Jan 19, 2016, 12:55 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

It is? Do most fired OCs/DCs immediately go into another OC/DC position and these two are the exception? I would have thought that the majority of fired coordinators (especially first timers) go back to position coaching for a bit before they get another shot. I wouldn't say this indicates anything at all. In five years if they have never risen above these hires then yeah sure, but otherwise it is just drawing the conclusion that you want to draw.

I don't the good ones from good staffs usually land on their feet. I wouldn't touch either one as a coordinator, they were dismal failures here.

SUSuhMeNew Member
Jan 19, 2016, 01:10 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

Tannekill gets you fired or demoted.

:D

Please remind me again how grreeeeeaaat Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan are :lol:. No dropped onside kicks for Wilson this year, I don't know if he was worse with a 0.0 passer rating against GB last year at the end of the first half or a 31 point half time defect this time. Both are pretty pathetic just like his turnovers, talk about over rated lmao.

KEkeypusherForum Veteran
Jan 19, 2016, 01:28 PM

"SuhMe wrote:

Please remind me again how grreeeeeaaat Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan are :lol:. No dropped onside kicks for Wilson this year, I don't know if he was worse with a 0.0 passer rating against GB last year at the end of the first half or a 31 point half time defect this time. Both are pretty pathetic just like his turnovers, talk about over rated lmao.

I'm almost sure the Seahawks beat Green Bay on a TD pass from Wilson in overtime. Poor Wilson, he doesn't realize that reputations are made in the first half.

Here's some stuff from Wiki.

Super Bowl champion (XLVIII)
3× Pro Bowl (2012, 2013, 2015)
2× NFC Champion (2013, 2014)
Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year (2012)
NFL Passer rating leader (2015)
PFF Offensive Rookie of the Year (2012)
NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month (December 2012)
5× NFC Offensive Player of the Week
Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week (Week 10, 2012)
3× FedEx Air Player of the Week
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2015
Passer rating: 101.8
TD–INT: 106–34
Completion %: 64.7
Passing yards: 13,974
Rushing yards: 2,430
Rushing TDs: 12

What a bum. So glad we didn't waste a third-round pick on that guy.

ROroy_miamiForum Veteran
Jan 19, 2016, 01:34 PM

"SuhMe wrote:

Please remind me again how grreeeeeaaat Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan are :lol:. No dropped onside kicks for Wilson this year, I don't know if he was worse with a 0.0 passer rating against GB last year at the end of the first half or a 31 point half time defect this time. Both are pretty pathetic just like his turnovers, talk about over rated lmao.

Wilson is second all time in NFL passer rating, holds the record for highest single season passer rating in college, and hasn't gotten a single coach fired or demoted.

gunn34gunn34New Member
Jan 19, 2016, 02:02 PM

I hope someone isn't suggesting tannehill is a better QB than Wilson.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Jan 19, 2016, 02:15 PM

"SuhMe wrote:

Please remind me again how grreeeeeaaat Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan are :lol:. No dropped onside kicks for Wilson this year, I don't know if he was worse with a 0.0 passer rating against GB last year at the end of the first half or a 31 point half time defect this time. Both are pretty pathetic just like his turnovers, talk about over rated lmao.

Hahaha good stuff.

Oh wait. This isn't sarcasm making fun of people who think Wilson is overrated???

SUSuhMeNew Member
Jan 19, 2016, 02:17 PM

"gunn34 wrote:

I hope someone isn't suggesting tannehill is a better QB than Wilson.

Naw, just laughing at yet another underwhelming performance by the most over rated QB in the league by a mile. Funny how people say comparing THill to Wilson is like comparing an amateur athlete to a professional one. Tannehill FINALLY has a real coach now, looking forward to the game next year between these two, hopefully Tannehill can beat him...again.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Jan 19, 2016, 02:18 PM

See resnor, they do exist. ^^^

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Jan 19, 2016, 02:28 PM

"SuhMe wrote:

Naw, just laughing at yet another underwhelming performance by the most over rated QB in the league by a mile. Funny how people say comparing THill to Wilson is like comparing an amateur athlete to a professional one. Tannehill FINALLY has a real coach now, looking forward to the game next year between these two, hopefully Tannehill can beat him...again.

A real coach now? For all we know Gase could turn out worse than Philbin. Let's slow it down here a bit. Sure, the reputations are there based on the staff he's put in place, but just as we've been saying to those down on the Gase hiring... slow it down. Lets have the guy coach a few games, or years here first before we start calling him a "real coach" or a terrible hire...

Also, you're not going to find very many people on this forum, or anywhere who are going to agree with you that Russel Wilson is over-rated, and that he stinks. There's a reason for that.


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

SUSuhMeNew Member
Jan 19, 2016, 03:43 PM

"brandon27 wrote:

A real coach now? For all we know Gase could turn out worse than Philbin. Let's slow it down here a bit. Sure, the reputations are there based on the staff he's put in place, but just as we've been saying to those down on the Gase hiring... slow it down. Lets have the guy coach a few games, or years here first before we start calling him a "real coach" or a terrible hire...

Also, you're not going to find very many people on this forum, or anywhere who are going to agree with you that Russel Wilson is over-rated, and that he stinks. There's a reason for that.

I never said he stinks or that Tannehill is better, I just said he's over rated, which a lot of people think as well. There's a reason for that, try and quote better, I never said he stinks lol. I know it's early to say Gase is going to be our savior, but compared to queasy Joe, I have a felling he's going to look like a f****** rocket scientist. We shall see, but Joe never called plays in GB, on the other hand this is Gase's strength. Should be interesting like Russel Wilson's first half on Sunday :lol:

If you really don't think a lot of people outside of this website and outside of SEA find Russel Wilson a tad over rated and over hyped, then you probably don't have a lot of family and friends who really follow the NFL like I do.

FinsterFinsterNew Member
Jan 19, 2016, 04:07 PM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Ones with proven systems do. youre never going to see Scott Linehan as anything less than offensive coordinator.

I think Linehan is the best OC we Have had the past fifteen years, with Norv being a close second.. He would have been good for Tannehill..

The thing is, neither of these guys had proven systems, and most 1st time guys that get fired take a job doing what they did before, like Linehan did in college, he went from WRs to QB to OC, got fired and then went back to WRs.

FinsterFinsterNew Member
Jan 19, 2016, 04:09 PM

"SuhMe wrote:

I never said he stinks or that Tannehill is better, I just said he's over rated, which a lot of people think as well. There's a reason for that, try and quote better, I never said he stinks lol. I know it's early to say Gase is going to be our savior, but compared to queasy Joe, I have a felling he's going to look like a f****** rocket scientist. We shall see, but Joe never called plays in GB, on the other hand this is Gase's strength. Should be interesting like Russel Wilson's first half on Sunday :lol:

If you really don't think a lot of people outside of this website and outside of SEA find Russel Wilson a tad over rated and over hyped, then you probably don't have a lot of family and friends who really follow the NFL like I do.

What does any of this have to do with this thread?

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2016, 08:41 AM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Ones with proven systems do. youre never going to see Scott Linehan as anything less than offensive coordinator.

I think Linehan is the best OC we Have had the past fifteen years, with Norv being a close second.. He would have been good for Tannehill..

I agree. He made Gus Freakin Fereotte(sp?) look like a starting quality NFL QB. Chambers had a great year too in his offense. After he left our O wasn't the same and we haven't looked as good on that side of the ball since. I have always held out hope he would come back here.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2016, 08:43 AM

"Finster wrote:

The thing is, neither of these guys had proven systems, and most 1st time guys that get fired take a job doing what they did before, like Linehan did in college, he went from WRs to QB to OC, got fired and then went back to WRs.

Actually he left Miami to be head coach in Detroit but got fired but he was an OC for a few other teams after that, most notably reviving the Cowboys offense when he joined them a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

LBLBsFinestNew Member
Jan 20, 2016, 02:16 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

See resnor, they do exist. ^^^

SuhMe is a VERY special breed...I mean he still defends Ireland, that's really all you need to know about him. It's like when you find out someone's a 9/11 truther, you immediately just disregard them.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2016, 02:20 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

See resnor, they do exist. ^^^

Now I need to find a unicorn.

Alex44Alex44New Member
Jan 20, 2016, 04:06 PM

I actually wish both guys the best of luck, but honestly Im sort of laughing at the Bengals deep down.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.