Covenant School girls hoops team seeks forfeit of 100-0 win over Dallas Academy
28 replies
DALLAS – A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 blowout has apologized to the losing school, calling the game "shameful and an embarrassment."
Officials from The Covenant School, a private Christian school in Dallas, said Thursday they are seeking to forfeit the win because "victory without honor is a great loss."
Academy basketball coach sees a win in 100-0 loss
The final score of the high school girls basketball game was 100-0, and his team had the nothing. Still, a week later, Dallas Academy Athletic Director Jeremy Civello was chalking up the game in the win column.In a brief e-mail statement Wednesday evening, Covenant coach Micah Grimes called his team's 100-point total "unfortunate."
"It just happened, and we are not happy about that," Grimes wrote. "Please know Covenant intended no harm against them. I see this as a real learning opportunity, so we can prevent this from happening in the future."
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
Depends on how they raked up 100. If their starters played the entire game and were jacking up 3's with 2 mins to go then yes, its embarassing.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
No reason for it, you play four corner offense and don't shoot. If you get a steal you don't fast break.
No reason for it. To score 100 in a HS game you need to be shooting at a high pace.


"HardKoreXXX wrote:
Depends on how they raked up 100. If their starters played the entire game and were jacking up 3's with 2 mins to go then yes, its embarassing.
says they were stealing the ball at half court then doing layups. I'm thinking they could have laid back a bit either way............
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:
No reason for it, you play four corner offense and don't shoot. If you get a steal you don't fast break.
No reason for it. To score 100 in a HS game you need to be shooting at a high pace.
To get 0, you have to suck too.
2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)
22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU
"Stitches wrote:
To get 0, you have to suck too.
True, but to score more than 50 in that game you have to have no more cells in your noggin as a coach, you call off the dogs. You drop into a non aggressive 2-1-2 and let them shoot from the outside.
That coach has no business coaching kids.


"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:
True, but to score more than 50 in that game you have to have no more cells in your noggin as a coach, you call off the dogs. You drop into a non aggressive 2-1-2 and let them shoot from the outside.
That coach has no business coaching kids.
Not saying the coach called the game correctly. But I mean 0? I don't know.
I personally don't know how to play a game like you are suggesting, because I only have ever played pick up games (which go to a certain pt total). I don't know if I could play non-aggressive either (at least on defense) just because I was always coached to do my best and play hard and hustle until the whistle blows (different sport than basketball but I assume many principles apply).
I mean in baseball, you don't go out there and steal bases when you are up by 10 but you sure as hell don't let them strike you out either just because you are winning.
2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)
22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU
"Stitches wrote:
Not saying the coach called the game correctly. But I mean 0? I don't know.
I personally don't know how to play a game like you are suggesting, because I only have ever played pick up games (which go to a certain pt total). I don't know if I could play non-aggressive either (at least on defense) just because I was always coached to do my best and play hard and hustle until the whistle blows (different sport than basketball but I assume many principles apply).
I mean in baseball, you don't go out there and steal bases when you are up by 10 but you sure as hell don't let them strike you out either just because you are winning.
First half last night my 5th grade travel team is up 26-6 (It was 6-4 at the end of one). I empty the bench to start the third, tell them to stay in a 2-1-2 and let them shoot from the outside (We usually either play an aggressive 1-3-1 or man to man which teams cannot handle (We are 9-0).
I tell them if the girl dribbles up to you, by all means grab the ball, but no fast breaking. I tell the point guard to work on what her weaknesses are and 5 passes before a shot. My 5 starters never get off the bench in the second half and we win 32-15. If I kept my starters in, we win 60-10.
There is no, and I mean no excuse to beat somebody 100-0


But we're all in agreement that you run it up if its a hated rival? Dolphins 63 Patriots 0
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
if you read the article it pretty much tells you why they suck. In fact it says they are pretty bad. Still as the coach says most do what nj is talking about doing...
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
I don't see the issue. If you're on the losing end this shouldn't hurt you, it should motivate you to get better.
On the winning end if you can steal the ball and score why wouldn't you? I'm of the 'if you don't like it stop it' attitude.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"Alex44 wrote:
I don't see the issue. If you're on the losing end this shouldn't hurt you, it should motivate you to get better.
On the winning end if you can steal the ball and score why wouldn't you? I'm of the 'if you don't like it stop it' attitude.
Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.
Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.
Your wrong Alex, when your up by 59 at the half, you call off the dogs in hoops, they are not going to come back and beat you. You have kids work on things they need to improve, you start treating it like a practice. You tell the kids to dribble only left handed (which helps them).
This coach has no business coaching kids.


I think alot of you guys are of the mentality its what sports is about, you shouldn't coddle the kids, etc. Yes kids should learn how to lose, but they should also learn how to win. Not to mention these are kids already with learning disabilities, I'm sure they are use to losing, this helped no one except the other team inflate their ego.
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
Id rather not play a team than beat them by 100 points. In High School I had to pitch against the Community School of Naples... this team had 7th graders playing Varsity Baseball!!!!
After going 5 innings and not allowing a single base-runner my coach pulled me (Think we were up by 8 or 10 runs). It was an insult to even be on the same field as 13 and 14 yr olds...
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
"unluckyluciano wrote:
I think alot of you guys are of the mentality its what sports is about, you shouldn't coddle the kids, etc. Yes kids should learn how to lose, but they should also learn how to win. Not to mention these are kids already with learning disabilities, I'm sure they are use to losing, this helped no one except the other team inflate their ego.
Learning to win is a hard lesson also. I have a very good team, so my starters end up sitting a lot in the second half, they don't like it, they want to play and I can't blame them. But I teach them that games will not always be easy, and one of them may get hurt or in foul trouble and than we will have to go to the bench for a player, and now that these players are playing and getting better, we are better off as a team. Now the starters really pull for the nonstarters, when someone scores they are jumping up and down, its great to see. What I also do now is put a starter in with the backups, and say, you don't shoot, you set up the kids that don't play a lot for shots. It helps the starter keep her head up while dribbling and it helps the other kids get some self esteem.


So they ran up 100 on a team full of kids with learning disabilities?
I want to put my head on my desk and cry.
I dont get what is worse. Losing by 100 and knowing you played the whole game. Or knowing that they ended the game early because you suck so bad they felt bad. I think I would rather lose by 100.
"phunwin wrote:
So they ran up 100 on a team full of kids with learning disabilities?
I want to put my head on my desk and cry.
The kids had learning diabilities. Wow that is unbelieveable. I was thinking it was kind of stupid that he got fired. But you know what he kind of had it coming.
"phunwin wrote:
Update: the coach at Covenant has been fired over this. LINK
He had to be, he was just plain stupid and short sighted!


i am thinking he was fired more for talking then not laying off the other team.
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
I just heard the coach of the winning team got fired. I wouldn't blame the winning team but they were doing a full court press, shooting 3 pointers and just running it up. There is no reason for this.
"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:
True, but to score more than 50 in that game you have to have no more cells in your noggin as a coach, you call off the dogs. You drop into a non aggressive 2-1-2 and let them shoot from the outside.
That coach has no business coaching kids.
and bring in second string....you see it with UNC all the time...when they're way up Roy always puts in his second and third stringers...
"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:
Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.
Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.Your wrong Alex, when your up by 59 at the half, you call off the dogs in hoops, they are not going to come back and beat you. You have kids work on things they need to improve, you start treating it like a practice. You tell the kids to dribble only left handed (which helps them).
This coach has no business coaching kids.
So as the losing team you want pity from your opponent? I don't buy that. I know if I'm going to lose bad I want the respect of my opponent going all out the entire game.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"Alex44 wrote:
So as the losing team you want pity from your opponent? I don't buy that. I know if I'm going to lose bad I want the respect of my opponent going all out the entire game.
yeah i'm sure 100-0 really garners respect......
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.