Culture change
19 replies
We've heard a lot about the culture change Gase has brought to the team but I think its also interesting to note the culture change amongst the local media covering the Dolphins.
In this piece Armando defends the off-season moves made by the team against the criticism of an ESPN analyst.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article151110942.html
and Omar jumps in as well
You may agree or disagree with their stance but it is a refreshing change to see the local media supporting the team.
Miami is a team that national "experts" don't have a beat on. They see Ryan Tannehill and basically call the team mediocre. Combined with the "potential" that has not been unleashed by Miami and a porous run defense, I hope they continue to sleep on us. Gase made Denver's offense unbelievable in year 2. As long as Brady is playing, we will get dis-respected. The moves Miami made were not splashes, but they learned from that. They made subtle moves but addressed their needs. Miami, I am confident, will be a better team this season, and may look for some splashes next March to make the run
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of mine and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the website
Barnwell is not the authority on evaluating our teams moves and dynamics, he's not even close to understanding the inner workings of our team, and why we needed to make certain moves..
his opinion of our team is an empty take..like completely empty..

people focus on the Mario Williams deal as if we signed him because he would replace Vernon. That was not the case. We did essentially a one year deal for $8M and let him go. Who else could we have signed? It would have required tons of money.
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of mine and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the website
I'm surprised by Mando, that was a pathetically cheap article, I'm not even talking about the football part, just the picking apart of another writers prognostications? It's such bad form, it's like 2 people own fish markets, and one says to the others clients that "he makes a large profit on his sales", while he charges the same???
Mando's wrong as much as any writer when it comes to guessing the future, and they are all wrong part of the time, pointing that out is so cheap, and stupid, there will be backlash.

"Finster wrote:
I'm surprised by Mando, that was a pathetically cheap article, I'm not even talking about the football part, just the picking apart of another writers prognostications? It's such bad form, it's like 2 people own fish markets, and one says to the others clients that "he makes a large profit on his sales", while he charges the same???
Mando's wrong as much as any writer when it comes to guessing the future, and they are all wrong part of the time, pointing that out is so cheap, and stupid, there will be backlash.
meh,i don't look at like that...I think its a good idea for a site..critiquing reporters..

"Finster wrote:
I'm surprised by Mando, that was a pathetically cheap article, I'm not even talking about the football part, just the picking apart of another writers prognostications? It's such bad form, it's like 2 people own fish markets, and one says to the others clients that "he makes a large profit on his sales", while he charges the same???
Mando's wrong as much as any writer when it comes to guessing the future, and they are all wrong part of the time, pointing that out is so cheap, and stupid, there will be backlash.
I agree that its an unusual bit from Mando. It reads more like someone's post on a message board than an article for a paper. But it wasn't too long ago that Mando and Omar would have been using the ESPN article as proof of how bad we did. Seems like the local media has shifted from being overly critical to defending the organization which IMO is a welcome change.
yeah surprising Omar defended us. He is pretty negative
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of mine and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the website
"djphinfan wrote:
meh,i don't look at like that...I think its a good idea for a site..critiquing reporters..
I agree, that would be a fun site, my problem with Mando is that he's being a backstabber to his own trade, I have no problem with a blogger doing it, it's Mando's professionalism that I have a problem with, it's the pot and kettle thing combined with airing dirty laundry, very unprofessional imo.

"Finster wrote:
I agree, that would be a fun site, my problem with Mando is that he's being a backstabber to his own trade, I have no problem with a blogger doing it, it's Mando's professionalism that I have a problem with, it's the pot and kettle thing combined with airing dirty laundry, very unprofessional imo.
I can see that..but I kind of like it for some reason..our beat writer protecting the brand...I think Gase and Armando are buds actually.

"djphinfan wrote:
I can see that..but I kind of like it for some reason..our beat writer protecting the brand...I think Gase and Armando are buds actually.
Gase does make a lot of references to Armando in his PCs.
I read a national article today where they were discussing each team's relationship with their quarterbacks and they basically made it sound like we are about to cut Tannehill after this season. What gave them that notion? The article said that Moore did good as a backup, so Tannehill is no longer needed. That's the "national beat writer's" expertise on how teams operate- stories like that are a complete joke.
It is good to see the local media finally believing in our team a little and not throwing out the constant smear work as in years past. I got very tired of hearing nothing but negative all the time.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"KeyFin wrote:
I read a national article today where they were discussing each team's relationship with their quarterbacks and they basically made it sound like we are about to cut Tannehill after this season. What gave them that notion? The article said that Moore did good as a backup, so Tannehill is no longer needed. That's the "national beat writer's" expertise on how teams operate- stories like that are a complete joke.
It is good to see the local media finally believing in our team a little and not throwing out the constant smear work as in years past. I got very tired of hearing nothing but negative all the time.
Got a link?
"danmarino wrote:
Got a link?
I had to find it...was an ESPN article.
WATCH YOUR BACK
24. Miami Dolphins
There's no one ostensibly pushing Ryan Tannehill for the Dolphins' starting quarterback job. Perpetual backup Matt Moore is of course still there, as is David Fales. Tannehill would have to get hurt or become totally incompetent to lose the job. But the Dolphins played fine with Moore in there last season after Tannehill got hurt.Although Tannehill is technically signed through 2020, the only remaining guarantee after this season is an injury-only guaranteed $5.525 million of his $17.475 million 2018 salary. The Dolphins can escape the Tannehill contract next offseason. He set a new career high in completion percentage (67.1) in his first season under coach Adam Gase, but he has yet to elevate his game to a point that justifies a $20 million-per-year cap charge.
The Dolphins didn't draft Tannehill's eventual replacement, but that doesn't mean they're 100 percent confident with what they have for the long term.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"danmarino wrote:
Got a link?
Been stating this for a while. We have to get huge things from RT this year, or else
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of mine and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the website
"VManis wrote:
We've heard a lot about the culture change Gase has brought to the team but I think its also interesting to note the culture change amongst the local media covering the Dolphins.
In this piece Armando defends the off-season moves made by the team against the criticism of an ESPN analyst.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article151110942.html
ESPN? LMAO!!! I used to love ESPN. I used to LOVE Sunday NFL Countdown on ESPN but for nearly the last 20 years, all ESPN is anymore is...
Everyone
Sucking
Patriots'
Nuts

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"dirtylandry wrote:
Been stating this for a while. We have to get huge things from RT this year, or else
I disagree with the notion that RT needs to improve vastly to gain respect. Now I am not saying I don't think RT needs to improve. However QBs get too much of the credit and too much of the blame for the team's success. If RT puts up solid numbers and the team makes the playoffs again, all of a sudden RT becomes a playoff caliber QB. IMO there are plenty of hall of fame QBs who were good not great QBs that just happened to be on the right team.
"KeyFin wrote:
I had to find it...was an ESPN article.
I just have to laugh at that article.
It goes on to talk about how the Colts are #9 in regards to "QB situation" with Luck. It talks about how Luck just had his best season statistically, but excused his past and current play because of poor O-Line play.
Then they list RT as #24 and talk solely about, well, nothing with substance or merit and never once mention the O-Line problems.
To be honest, as a reporter for the 'phins when was the last time you could say you had legitimate confidence tbat tbe phins wre a well run team?
Maybe year 1 of Saban, if not then you'd have to go back to Jimmy Johnson.
Wannstadt and Sparano were sock puppets promoted beyond their abilities. Cameron was puzzling if you want to be kind. Philbin was the 5th or 6th choice for the role. Saban found out the hard way you can't bully adults like Zach Thomas the way you can bully kids fresh out of high school. Add onto that GMs like Spielman and Ireland and it's pretty reasonable for the local repirters not to be overful of confidence.
"VManis wrote:
I disagree with the notion that RT needs to improve vastly to gain respect. Now I am not saying I don't think RT needs to improve. However QBs get too much of the credit and too much of the blame for the team's success. If RT puts up solid numbers and the team makes the playoffs again, all of a sudden RT becomes a playoff caliber QB. IMO there are plenty of hall of fame QBs who were good not great QBs that just happened to be on the right team.
Andy Dalton made the playoffs each year and everyone was calling for his head. Until he put up a 100 passer rating for the entire year. Those season still were just a slight notch below Tanny's in rating but not by a lot.
Tanny puts 100+ rating the entire year, makes the playoffs, throws 30 TDs then that talk will slow down a bit.
