Dan Henning - stop with the QB roll out!

43 replies

PHphins3454New MemberOP
Sep 13, 2010, 11:45 AM

Am I the only one who hates it when Henning calls for a desgined QB roll out to the left/right? Its stupid because when Henne rolls out like that the defense knows he has to throw the ball that way. and generally its for only a 5-10 yard gain if executed correctly. I just hate it because it limits our offence. I know its only week one but Henning called those same plays last year at least once in every game. You just dont see other teams using the designed QB roll out too much, unless you have an athletic QB.

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2010, 11:55 AM

"phins3454 wrote:

Am I the only one who hates it when Henning calls for a desgined QB roll out to the left/right? Its stupid because when Henne rolls out like that the defense knows he has to throw the ball that way. and generally its for only a 5-10 yard gain if executed correctly. I just hate it because it limits our offence. I know its only week one but Henning called those same plays last year at least once in every game. You just dont see other teams using the designed QB roll out too much, unless you have an athletic QB.

Funny. During preseason we were praising Henne for his ability to throw on the run.

PHphins3454New Member
Sep 13, 2010, 11:59 AM

"DaFish wrote:

Funny. During preseason we were praising Henne for his ability to throw on the run.

Still cant deny the fact that it limits our offence and where Henne can go with the football

PariahPariahNew Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:01 PM

"phins3454 wrote:

Still cant deny the fact that it limits our offence and where Henne can go with the football

I don't think you understand exactly what a roll-out pass is.

PHphins3454New Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:03 PM

"Pariah wrote:

I don't think you understand exactly what a roll-out pass is.

when a QB rolls out to the left he throwing to the left. When a QB rolls out to the right, he throwing to the right. When a QB drops back or is in shot gun, he can throw to the left or right and down the field for a big pass.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Sep 13, 2010, 12:05 PM

"phins3454 wrote:

Am I the only one who hates it when Henning calls for a desgined QB roll out to the left/right? Its stupid because when Henne rolls out like that the defense knows he has to throw the ball that way. and generally its for only a 5-10 yard gain if executed correctly. I just hate it because it limits our offence. I know its only week one but Henning called those same plays last year at least once in every game. You just dont see other teams using the designed QB roll out too much, unless you have an athletic QB.

Henne consistently showed last year and this preseason when he rolls out to the right that he can make big plays. It's when he rolls out to the left and takes forever to get his feet set that worries me.

Given the instability of our interior line, I hope Henning actually calls out more roll-outs (to the right).

testing

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Sep 13, 2010, 12:06 PM

"phins3454 wrote:

when a QB rolls out to the left he throwing to the left. When a QB rolls out to the right, he throwing to the right. When a QB drops back or is in shot gun, he can throw to the left or right and down the field for a big pass.

I think he's implying that you are oversimplifying the options that are possible with a rollout.
We saw in preseason that a designed rollout will bring an extra blocker or two to get Henne's feet set. It gives the WRs a little more time to get open if the protection holds up.

testing

PHphins3454New Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:06 PM

there are times to do a roll-out pass. In red zone is a good time or for shot yardage. but Henning calls for roll-out pass on 3rd and 10 when we"re on our own 30 yard line.

PariahPariahNew Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:06 PM

"phins3454 wrote:

when a QB rolls out to the left he throwing to the left. When a QB rolls out to the right, he throwing to the right. When a QB drops back or is in shot gun, he can throw to the left or right and down the field for a big pass.

Again, I don't think you get the concept of a roll-out pass.

Google it and learn what it is, and what it is supposed to do, then come back and complain if you see fit.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Sep 13, 2010, 12:11 PM

"phins3454 wrote:

there are times to do a roll-out pass. In red zone is a good time or for shot yardage. but Henning calls for roll-out pass on 3rd and 10 when we"re on our own 30 yard line.

you keep making the mistake that it is only for passes of 5-10 yards, when, IMO, it's also very well suited for passes of 15-25 yards. Just because the defense didn't allow longer passes doesn't mean that's the intention of the rollout. You have to be willing to give Buffalo's secondary credit. hell, it's the only really good part of their team.

testing

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:14 PM

Henning calls a lot of plays that really bug me but the roll out pass isn't really one of them. Henne has been pretty successful on the move.

PariahPariahNew Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:15 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

you keep making the mistake that it is only for passes of 5-10 yards, when, IMO, it's also very well suited for passes of 15-25 yards. Just because the defense didn't allow longer passes doesn't mean that's the intention of the rollout. You have to be willing to give Buffalo's secondary credit. hell, it's the only really good part of their team.

And we better get ready to see more roll-out passes this week with a weaker Minn secondary, but a MUCH stronger front. If Henne stands in the pocket too long against Minn we could be in for a long game.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Sep 13, 2010, 12:17 PM

"Pariah wrote:

And we better get ready to see more roll-out passes this week with a weaker Minn secondary, but a MUCH stronger front. If Henne stands in the pocket too long against Minn we could be in for a long game.

agreed, that was my exact thoughts with the next 3 games with Minny, Jets and Patriots, all with very strong interior DL.

testing

PHphins3454New Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:17 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

Henne consistently showed last year and this preseason when he rolls out to the right that he can make big plays. It's when he rolls out to the left and takes forever to get his feet set that worries me.

Given the instability of our interior line, I hope Henning actually calls out more roll-outs (to the right).

If you wanta think that a 10 yard pass is a big gain.

bigger plays can come from under center, shot gun, or play action.

Most of the great QB's big plays are not roll out passes

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:20 PM

I can understand why we call more roll outs. Has anyone noticed that Henne looks slower in his drop this season. Yesterday he seemed like it was way too long getting set back in the pocket. A little more shotgun would be nice.

PHphins3454New Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:21 PM

"Pariah wrote:

Again, I don't think you get the concept of a roll-out pass.

Google it and learn what it is, and what it is supposed to do, then come back and complain if you see fit.

Google Hennes biggest plays on roll out passes and compare it to under center or shot gun or play action. he may have more completions but his bigger yardage come from all but a roll out pass

PHphins3454New Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:25 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

agreed, that was my exact thoughts with the next 3 games with Minny, Jets and Patriots, all with very strong interior DL.

And you dont think teams will watch film on this and realize that Henne is only succesful rolling out to his right? teams will catch on so fast, all they have to to do is watch last season films

PariahPariahNew Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:26 PM

"phins3454 wrote:

Google Hennes biggest plays on roll out passes and compare it to under center or shot gun or play action. he may have more completions but his bigger yardage come from all but a roll out pass

Dude, I am just telling you that you are not comprehending what a roll-out is. You are being completely shortsighted in your analysis of why we run the play. There are many aspects to the function of the roll-out beyond "run right-throw right, run left-throw left."

What I am saying is learn fully what the roll-out pass is, what its functions are, and why we call it -then come back and argue it. Instead you are presenting a very weak argument for why we shouldn't call it.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2010, 12:34 PM

IIRC we had a big pass out of that roll out in the preseason. There's no nothing in the roll out that limits it to a short pass. I fact, you generally have a post as part of the pass patterns that goes with the roll out.

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Sep 13, 2010, 12:48 PM

man i´m worried for odrick and the outcome of this MRI and also for our ILB depth, i love micah johnson, dont know if i´m ready to throw him under the bus in an away game tryin to stop AP

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2010, 12:48 PM

That is dumbest thing ever. Henne is good on the roll outs. It is a very smart call

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Sep 13, 2010, 12:49 PM

Let's cut out all the run plays and throws to Bess while we're at it.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

ALalen1New Member
Sep 13, 2010, 12:51 PM

"phins3454 wrote:

Am I the only one who hates it when Henning calls for a desgined QB roll out to the left/right? Its stupid because when Henne rolls out like that the defense knows he has to throw the ball that way. and generally its for only a 5-10 yard gain if executed correctly. I just hate it because it limits our offence. I know its only week one but Henning called those same plays last year at least once in every game. You just dont see other teams using the designed QB roll out too much, unless you have an athletic QB.

Only for a five-ten yard gain?

DePhinistr8DePhinistr8Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2010, 12:55 PM

Mike Lombardi and Mike Mayock both said that the year he was drafted that Henne was by far the best QB throwing on the run in the draft. I'm actually surprised we don't utilize the roll-outs more often.

OghmaOghmaSupporter
Sep 13, 2010, 12:56 PM

Isn't it possible that we call roll outs in situations where we are expecting a heavy pass rush in order to move the pocket and provide a protection scheme that takes Henne away from the rush?

Or its because our coaches purposely want to 'limit the field' for no reason at all.

"Where there is no vision, there is no hope"