Deiter - New OL
40 replies
"hitman8 wrote:
Look I watched three different game tapes of deiter, plus the senior bowl game and all of the senior bowl practices. I was not at all impressed. He is decent in the running game, but he regularly gets beat whenever he has to deal with a decent pass rusher. He is much better going forward as a run blocker than going backwards in pass pro.
I would definitely have drafted Ben Powers over him if we really wanted a guard, but I think Cajuste was the BPA olinemen available and he could have stepped right in at RT.
Yes that's my opinion, let's hope I'm wrong.
and why should anyone really care if you came away impressed or not
We could draft the second coming of Montana and people here will have a problem with it.. let the coaches do their thing... if theyre following the NE model, deiter is here until his contract is up and then theyre drafting another linemen to replace them. They dont pay linemen, nor runningbacks. Which is why Gaskin is here cause Drake is almost due for a contract.
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article230302419.html
""A lot of college offenses throw the ball, so you want to find some guys that are skilled in run blocking,” Dolphins offensive line coach Pat Flaherty explained. “You never get a lot of guys that overall developed in both areas. We want smart, tough, physical guys and that’s what we were looking for in the draft.”"
"Wisconsin averaged 43.9 rushing attempts in 2018, compared to just 23.4 passing attempts.
So while there were more talented options available to the Dolphins before taking Deiter in the third round two weeks back, there might not have been a better option.
“We’re going to be a tough, physical team,” Brian Flores said during rookie minicamp.
The Dolphins drafted like it.
They took Deiter (6-foot-5, 309 pounds) in Round 3, Ohio State tackle Isaiah Prince (6-6, 305) in Round 6 and fullback Chandler Cox (6-1, 242) in Round 7.
All three have the same instructions:
Use your strength and size to move defenders out of the way.
“We must be able to run the football and get four-plus yards a carry and then we have to be able to keep the pocket clean and protect the quarterback,” Flaherty said. “Pressures are going to happen. Hits and sacks, that’s a bad word, bad words in our room.”"
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
This draft site ranks Deiter as the 38th overall player in the draft.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/michael-deiter
A 54-game starter at Wisconsin, Deiter made 24 starts at left guard, 16 at center and 14 and left tackle but his best fit at the next level comes at guard where his mobility and play strength is maximized but his lack of length is less of a concern. Showing steady improvement throughout his career, Deiter capped his career numerous accolades including being named the Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2018. Given his experience in a pro-style system and technical refinement, Deiter has the makings of an early starter in the NFL that is productive in every aspect of the position.
Round Grade - Second Round Value
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"Vertical Limit wrote:
We could draft the second coming of Montana and people here will have a problem with it.. let the coaches do their thing... if theyre following the NE model, deiter is here until his contract is up and then theyre drafting another linemen to replace them. They dont pay linemen, nor runningbacks. Which is why Gaskin is here cause Drake is almost due for a contract.
They don't pay linemen???
RG Shaq Mason, was drafted by the Patriots in the 4th round of the 2015 NFL Draft, on August 27, 2018, signed a five-year, $50 million contract extension with the Patriots.
C David Andrews, a 2015 UDFA by the Pats, signed a three-year contract extension with the Patriots, May 12, 2017, through the 2020 season. The deal has a base value of $9.6 million, with a $1.6 million signing bonus, and an additional $2.1 million in incentives.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"Pauly wrote:
And he seems irreplaceable. They had to drag him out of retirement after one year without him.
Scarnecchia was "retired" for two seasons, 2014 and 2015. He was replaced by Dave DeGuglielmo. In the 2 seasons without Scar, and with Gugs, the Pats won SB 49, and lost the AFC Championship by 2 points to eventual SB 50 winner, Denver Broncos. The OL minus LT Nate Solder struggled vs Demarcus Ware, and Von Miller in that AFCCG loss, and Gugs was made the scapegoat.
Gugs has been the Dolphins OL coach twice, and did pretty well compared to other recent past OL coaches the team has had. It was also reported earlier today, Gugs is returning to the Dolphins as an OL analyst, according to the PBP, helping lead OL coach Pat Flaherty. Gugs was Flaherty's asst OL coach for 5 seasons with the Giants, 2004-2008.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"MrClean wrote:
Scarnecchia was "retired" for two seasons, 2014 and 2015. He was replaced by Dave DeGuglielmo. In the 2 seasons without Scar, and with Gugs, the Pats won SB 49, and lost the AFC Championship by 2 points to eventual SB 50 winner, Denver Broncos. The OL minus LT Nate Solder struggled vs Demarcus Ware, and Von Miller in that AFCCG loss, and Gugs was made the scapegoat.
Gugs has been the Dolphins OL coach twice, and did pretty well compared to other recent past OL coaches the team has had. It was also reported earlier today, Gugs is returning to the Dolphins as an OL analyst, according to the PBP, helping lead OL coach Pat Flaherty. Gugs was Flaherty's asst OL coach for 5 seasons with the Giants, 2004-2008.
I am hoping between Flaherty and Guglielmo that they are able to make some chicken salad. The pieces they have to work with are a mixed bag and all of them might not be grade A, but maybe they still can come up with something tasty that won't give Rosen (or us) food poisoning this year.
Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.
Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.
The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.
Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
Team Tua.
Miami Dolphins Homer!
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
Dolphins’ offensive line draft strategy reveals much about their vision on offense
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article230302419.html
The Dolphins could have drafted any offensive lineman not named Jonah Williams at 13.
Just two guards were off the board when they were on the clock at 48. But they passed on linemen each time, waiting until pick No. 78 to finally address their front five, which three weeks ago was probably their thinnest position. Why?
Christian Wilkins had a higher grade than any other player available in Round 1, and the Dolphins were determined to trade down in Round 2, acquiring a second-rounder in 2020 and then trading for Josh Rosen with the 62nd pick.
But perhaps there’s another explanation: the limited amount of functional game tape for the year’s best collegiate offensive linemen.
“A lot of college offenses throw the ball, so you want to find some guys that are skilled in run blocking,” Dolphins offensive line coach Pat Flaherty explained. “You never get a lot of guys that overall developed in both areas. We want smart, tough, physical guys and that’s what we were looking for in the draft.”
Deiter checks all those boxes.
Wisconsin’s do-everything offensive lineman started a ridiculous 54 straight games in college. And the Badgers are no finesse team. Wisconsin averaged 43.9 rushing attempts in 2018, compared to just 23.4 passing attempts.
“We’re going to be a tough, physical team,” Brian Flores said during rookie minicamp.
The Dolphins drafted like it.
They took Deiter (6-foot-5, 309 pounds) in Round 3, Ohio State tackle Isaiah Prince (6-6, 305) in Round 6 and fullback Chandler Cox (6-1, 242) in Round 7.
All three have the same instructions:
Use your strength and size to move defenders out of the way.
“We must be able to run the football and get four-plus yards a carry and then we have to be able to keep the pocket clean and protect the quarterback,” Flaherty said. “Pressures are going to happen. Hits and sacks, that’s a bad word, bad words in our room.”
"Surfs Up 99 wrote:
I am hoping between Flaherty and Guglielmo that they are able to make some chicken salad. The pieces they have to work with are a mixed bag and all of them might not be grade A, but maybe they still can come up with something tasty that won't give Rosen (or us) food poisoning this year.
Looks like we’re bringing back Guglielmo as an OL consultant.
Mixed kind of feelings about this because a truly talented position coach shouldn’t bounce around the league the way he has. However:
- he was given a lot of credit for putting together a solid OL for the colts last year
- his departure from NE seems more related to brining an all time great position coach back. The NE OL when he was running it wasn’t horrible, just not as good as Scarnechia (sp?).
- He was ok to good in Miami 2009-2011, but not so good in 2017.
"Galant wrote:
In 2016, I think Deiter played Center all season. I'd be interested in knowing how his PFF grades were at that position, because to the naked eye he looked really solid. He definitely should never play LT in the NFL, unless it is a dire emergency.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
A lot of us were really hoping the Dolphins would draft Chase Winovich in the 2nd/3rd round area. He went one pick ahead of the Deiter pick. At the time, many reactions were that the Dolphins had to settle for Deiter because the Pats swooped in and stole Chase one pick ahead. That was sort of my initial reaction too, but I'm thinking now, as badly as we need interior OL, it is quite likely Deiter would have still been the pick even if Chase was still on the board.
A few years ago, the Pats drafted plug and play LG Joe Thuney with the 78th overall pick, which was where Deiter was taken this year. Let's hope Deiter becomes for Miami what Thuney is for the Pats.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"MrClean wrote:
In 2016, I think Deiter played Center all season. I'd be interested in knowing how his PFF grades were at that position, because to the naked eye he looked really solid. He definitely should never play LT in the NFL, unless it is a dire emergency.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/michael-deiter?id=32194445-4913-7530-3932-9da3d6c8f088
After redshirting in 2014, he started all 13 games, seven at left guard and six at center. Big Ten coaches voted him honorable mention all-conference as a sophomore after he split 14 starts between center (10) and left guard (4). In 2017, he was a first-team all-conference pick as a 14-game starter at left tackle.
It looks like he's got a little more than a full college season at Center, just broken up over two seasons.
"Disgustipate wrote:
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/michael-deiter?id=32194445-4913-7530-3932-9da3d6c8f088
It looks like he's got a little more than a full college season at Center, just broken up over two seasons.
He never played on the right side, so I hope the Dolphins don't do the typical Dolphins thing of the past and decide right off the bat to start him off at a position he's not played.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"MrClean wrote:
In 2016, I think Deiter played Center all season. I'd be interested in knowing how his PFF grades were at that position, because to the naked eye he looked really solid. He definitely should never play LT in the NFL, unless it is a dire emergency.
Yes, he was better at center. Playing center disguises some of his shortcomings in dealing with speed and one on one blocks.
"hitman8 wrote:
Yes, he was better at center. Playing center disguises some of his shortcomings in dealing with speed and one on one blocks.
The way I see it is we need a center also, so if he can play there at a high level then no harm is done.
Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.
Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.
The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.
Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
Team Tua.
Miami Dolphins Homer!