Earl Mitchell Signed: 4 Year 16 Million (9 guaranteed).

64 replies

Pennington's Limp ArmPennington's Limp ArmForum VeteranOP
Mar 11, 2014, 05:04 PM

First piece added to fill the hole left by Solai and Starks.

Had good success against the run last year with the Texans. Still only 26 years old. Athletic and Injury free.

Really like this pickup, bit of a sleeper, but it does sounds like we had some competition for him.

Mod Edit :Link confirming this post
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2014/03/11/miami-dolphins-free-agency-breaking-news/

dWreckdWreckNew Member
Mar 11, 2014, 05:14 PM

"Pennington's Limp Arm wrote:

First piece added to fill the hole left by Solai and Starks.

Had good success against the run last year with the Texans. Still only 26 years old. Athletic and Injury free.

Really like this pickup, bit of a sleeper, but it does sounds like we had some competition for him.

I'm indifferent but optimistic, I know nothing of the guy and ima have to look into him a bit. Part of me wanted/wants to keep Starks.

Btw welcome to the board, and I like the name. :lol:


The KRAKEN! Still proving doubters wrong on the weekly.
Get well soon Tanny. #ThatsMyQB

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
Mar 11, 2014, 05:14 PM

Unless were changing up the defense I really don't see him as filling Soliai's position and that leaves a spot in the 3 man DT rotation still. He's barely 300lbs played more of a penetrating 1 gap tackle in Houston (-4.6 run defense rating by PFF). His run stop % and pass rush productivity numbers were pretty alright though considering the style he was playing. May be a better guy playing in a 4-3 (thought he was mis-cast playing the nose in Houston).

Hageman at 19 if we clean up most of our OL in FA?

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Mar 11, 2014, 05:28 PM

He's very quick, he's a penetrator with good footwork, can spin and chase of the block, has excellent work ethic and takes care of his body, symmetrically balanced physique..I haven't isolated him at the texans but as far as movement goes, he's quicker more explosive than Odrick..

We just got younger with Odrick and Mitchell.. Probably not better but we had to re arrange funds to different positions, and like I said before, what did Solai and Starks do from a leadership standpoint last year?, sure as hell didn't see much of them or their leadership when we were getting spanked by the bills and jets or playing poorly against the run all season.

They had their chance, time for new dynamics.

Mar 11, 2014, 05:41 PM
"dcafiero wrote:

Btw welcome to the board, and I like the name. :lol:

thanks, it was either this or Ricky's Urine Sample.

djphinfan

He's very quick, he's a penetrator with good footwork, can spin and chase of the block, has excellent work ethic and takes care of his body, symmetrically balanced physique..I haven't isolated him at the texans but as far as movement goes, he's quicker more explosive than Odrick..

We just got younger with Odrick and Mitchell.. Probably not better but we had to re arrange funds to different positions, and like I said before, what did Solai and Starks do from a leadership standpoint last year?, sure as hell didn't see much of them or their leadership when we were getting gauged by the bills and jets or playing poorly against the run all season.

They had their chance, time for new dynamics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSzw9ch_oso
Soft piece on his workouts from last offseason.

PhinsRDbestPhinsRDbestForum Veteran
Mar 11, 2014, 05:49 PM

Pair him with Melton, with Odrick subbing in.

PhinsRDbestPhinsRDbestForum Veteran
Mar 11, 2014, 05:51 PM

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 39m Earl Mitchell said has offer from Miami but hasn't agreed 2 or signed anything:"That's why I am going 2visit.2make sure&clarify the details"

uh oh

dWreckdWreckNew Member
Mar 11, 2014, 06:09 PM

who confirmed the sign


The KRAKEN! Still proving doubters wrong on the weekly.
Get well soon Tanny. #ThatsMyQB

Dolphins1BeatlesDolphins1BeatlesForum Veteran
Mar 11, 2014, 06:22 PM

We'll see what he does. Didn't he fade after the preseason?

1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team

K I K O

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Mar 11, 2014, 06:25 PM

Philosophical change..Odrick..Mitchell..we've heard interest in will sutton.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Mar 11, 2014, 06:28 PM

Rather have STarks, but for 1/2 price, I'll take it. especially if we use the money to buy more Olinemen

testing

DHPVWDHPVWNew Member
Mar 11, 2014, 06:29 PM

Mitchell is a good player and we signed him to a very friendly contract. I would still like to see Tony McDaniel back in a fins uni tho

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Mar 11, 2014, 06:30 PM

Last I saw (a few minutes ago) Mitchell was tweeting he hasn't signed yet, and that he was on the way to Miami to look at the numbers.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

Mar 11, 2014, 07:00 PM

"dcafiero wrote:

who confirmed the sign

story
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10590627/branden-albert-earl-mitchell-agree-deals-miami-dolphins
http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/3/11/5497380/earl-mitchell-signs-with-dolphins

Also tweeted by Schefter... guess everyone jumped the gun a little with all the free agent excitement going on.

...rumored it is.

Edit: his rotoworld profile also lists him as a dolphin... everyone says he is a dolphin except him, just give in Earl!!

branbranNew Member
Mar 11, 2014, 07:03 PM

this better not fall through.

byroan;2178644 wrote:

Tannehill could have had more time had Clabo just fell down and forced Mario to step over him.

OnehondoOnehondoSupporter
Mar 11, 2014, 07:12 PM
7777FinFanSupporter
Mar 11, 2014, 07:18 PM

"Onehondo wrote:

Per Palm Beach Post Miami signed Mitchell to a contract.
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2014/03/11/miami-dolphins-free-agency-breaking-news/

Time stamp on the report for Mitchell is around 4 o'clock so not sure if final.

OnehondoOnehondoSupporter
Mar 11, 2014, 07:52 PM
RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Mar 11, 2014, 08:00 PM

If this signing does happen, I like the move. I hope he's a player on the rise and benefits from the scheme shift coming from Houston to Miami. He certainly fits the prototypical Dennis Hickey 1-technique DT that he had in Tampa Bay: Akeem Spence, Brian Price (pre-injury weight gain), Booger McFarland, etc.

That said, I hope this doesn't preclude Miami from taking someone like Aaron Donald (pipe dream at this point) or Timmy Jernigan off the board at pick 19. Maybe even Louis Nix too if they wanted a bigger guy that can develop into a 3-down-ish 1-technique with some seasoning.

@KevinMD4

finwinfinwinNew Member
Mar 11, 2014, 08:17 PM

Who said we're not giving Starks an offer.

Sherif

PHphinfan4everNew Member
Mar 11, 2014, 08:35 PM

If the deal with Mitchell gets done I don't see us signing or drafting another DT. Mitchell would make 4 DT's on our roster. That's a good rotation.

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Mar 11, 2014, 08:38 PM

"phinfan4ever wrote:

If the deal with Mitchell gets done I don't see us signing or drafting another DT. Mitchell would make 4 DT's on our roster. That's a good rotation.

4? Mitchell would make 3 DTs. Odrick, Francis, and Mitchell if he signs. We need to make one more middle tier signing at DT, and draft one. Francis has promise, but is not a sure thing.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

TooGoodForDezTooGoodForDezNew Member
Mar 11, 2014, 08:39 PM

"MrClean wrote:

4? Mitchell would make 3 DTs. Odrick, Francis, and Mitchell if he signs. We need to make one more middle tier signing at DT, and draft one. Francis has promise, but is not a sure thing.

Aaitui

banned

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Mar 11, 2014, 08:40 PM

"TooGoodForDez wrote:

Aaitui

I don't think it's worth keeping Aatui around roster wise; we pretty much know what he is, and it isn't much.

@KevinMD4

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Mar 11, 2014, 08:42 PM

"TooGoodForDez wrote:

Aaitui

You would be comfortable going into camp with just those 4? Two of which have played basically no regular season snaps to speak of.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice