1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enough's Enough!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sethdaddy8, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I've always felt that September really begins the year. Screw January and its resolutions. My year starts NOW.

I've always been a hard-gainer. But over the years, I've packed on decent size and strength. Now at 32, I've been into working out more that I have not, throughout my life. And I'm into weights. I'm lazy in nature, but the weights always kept me interested.

But the past few years, married, kids, career, i've been inconsistent. I get 2 good months in the gym in, then im slacking for 3 months.

And I can't diet for crap. I'm not talking about weight-loss. I'm the guy whose annoyed when the scale reads a lower number. I want to gain, and I need to EAT in order to do so. The weights aren't enough.

The point? I am attempting to bring back consistency to my diet and exercise...and find the extra energy i so desperately need!!!

I went to the gym Monday, and I think its kind of official that my Dad/Old man strength is permanent. After not working our for months, I can still rep 225 for over 10 on bench press. This is at 178lbs. So its Wednesday, and I'm sore as crap, but I wrote myself a killer routine and im hoping for consistency. Both in the gym and in the kitchen.

I know what works for my body. The biggest misconception is that one style works for everyone. I am going back to what worked for me when I was younger. I'm also reserving advice as I've seen my style work for me, but not others.

So I'm putting this out here, because I'm going after a goal I've never achieved. or even came close to. By xmas, I want to weigh 200lbs.
    Sure there will be some extra chunk in the face and abdomen. i don't care.

I'm sharing this with everyone, because it gives me a sense of accountability. I'm saying this goal out-loud, and that gives me and it a greater sense of reality.

Mind you, I've never weighed over 190 in my life, at 5'9 n a half.

Since Monday, and after some heftier eating, I'm about 180-182. I'll bounce up to 185 pretty quickly. But the last 15 will be the killer.

So, any thoughts or advice? Any goals you want to go after now that September is here?

Thank you for your time. Whether you read or comment, writing this for others to potentially see was a help.

2. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I would just eat everything in sight as long as you're working out a lot.

If you don't care about a little chunk with the added muscle then you'll be fine.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Tons and tons of protein brother.

I have found a new thing I added to my repetoire. A different type of Protien, Casien protien that I take at night. It is very slow digesting, but I am seeing mass gains almost immediately.
    I of course still entake lots of protiens throughout the day. I recently found out that Cottage Cheeze is one of the highest sources of Protien on the planet. That great cause I love the stuff.

Good luck brother, keep us up to date with your progress :up:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  4. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I'll do my homework on the Casien protein, thanks for the tip! Protein is tough for me, because I'm just not the type to cook myself 7 eggs for breakfast or 4 chicken breasts for lunch/dinner. But i'll do my best, and check some supps out. and i've always been kind of afraid of cottage cheese. i don't think i've ever actually had the stuff, as it always seemed gross. but screw it, i'll give it a shot.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  5. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    right on. i know i'll take a hit with the added weight. my appetite has always been weird. i can go long bouts without eating. i can eat a ton in a sitting, but i dont need too. im not ravenous, so at a point, it becomes a chore. but i'm trying for 5 or so meals a day, a few of them being good sized. we'll see.

6. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Casein protein is some controversial stuff. Mentions of autism in kids, links to cancer...is this stuff safe?

7. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    You would have to send me some links about that!!!

I research what I take pretty carefully, I've never seen anything like that. Of course, if that is true, I would stop Casein immediately!

A great source for articles on protiens is:

www.bodybuilding.com

8. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    wikipedia mentioned a few(not cancer)

this one was the scary one.
    http://www.ezhealthydiet.com/casein-protein.html

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
  10. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Actually, it sounds like they were using Casien Protien to help in the treatment of Autism. I dont have any insight to that...If perhaps there was a Microbiologist somewhere in the house :shifty:

From what I can tell, it also goes on to say this is much about nothing really.

Guess what, unless you live in a glass case and ingest very very select things, you are already ingesting Mucho Casien Protein :up:

EDIT: For what its worth, I just noticed that article is from a Vegan Source. Nothing wrong with that, just thought I would point it out :wink2:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  11. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    well, about 2 weeks later and...

the first week was great. made gains, was getting harder and my running was going well. dusted of my bike and was just enjoying the process. diet was good, as far as taking in a lot.

then i got sick. week 2, Thursday, I caught a nasty cold, and im still coughing a week later. eh, back to the drawing board.

12. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    captains log, stardate 02202010.4

i have been dieting well, eating 5+ meals a day for the last few weeks, however, all it did was jack up my metabolism. i gained little if any over-all weight, however im a lot more defined and muscular at the same 183 range.

i've fooled around with some experimental workouts, and they made minor muscle growth, but failed to increase strength. im going back to old school, with some alterations cycling 2 different workouts every week. we shall see.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

If you have ever studied any type of Project Management, you will understand the huge difference between Macro-schedule, and Micro Schedule.

Both are very very important...but, once again, without any doubt, those that achieve the best physical transformation are those the endure the agony of time...
    What I mean is, those that really achieve Physical Gains (For the better or the worse, depending on where your priorities are) are those that not only keep a daily log...but those that log over the years.
    Every single thing you do now, will indeed help in the long run...but remember, that is the LONG RUN.
    Everybody experiences Peaks and valleys, and more than that are the very painful plateuas where it seems you are working the hardest and achieving the least.
    Endure those times, and you will definately see what you are trying to achieve :up:

Oh, and keep drinking lots and lots of water...not too much, but lots.....

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  14. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    thank you brother

azfinfanmang likes this.