EURO 2020 Championship

191 replies

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jun 30, 2021, 11:48 AM

"Alex13 wrote:

Better ? they were lucky that germany once again missed out on their big chances, no one could have complained if germany would have won 3-2...coulda shoulda woulda...the best news of all of this...Löw is finally gone as a manager....better times are ahead.

:lol:...:sidelol:...:console:

The better team on the day won Alex. I think if you line them up and play 10 times, it's probably pretty close to even. But on this day (yesterday) England played better. They took advantage of their chances. Germany did not. You can't say Werner was unlucky on his chance. That's a great save by Pickford. And I think the Kane missed chance at halftime cancels out the Muller miss. If Germany is up 1-0 and Kane misses that chance, and that's the final score, that is the only highlight we are going to see from England. Some will say it's unlucky. Some will say Kane choked. I would be in the choke category. You obviously like Muller so you say it's unlucky that he missed. I think he choked :lol:

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jun 30, 2021, 11:48 AM

"Alex13 wrote:

would not surprise me at all if Ukraine beats England

see now you're just being sour grapes Alex. Enjoy your whine... want some cheese?

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jun 30, 2021, 11:53 AM

"Lloyd Heilbrunn wrote:

The fact that England is good enough that they can win without playing Sancho is pretty scary...

Yes Southgate has stuck to his guns for the most part, certainly after the Scotland game, and played Saka instead of Foden (or Sancho for that matter). Also, Mount is now out of the picture, which has helped as well. How does the saying go? It's not the best eleven, it's the right eleven that gets you thru. I'd still play Henderson for Rice and probably leave the rest as is.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jun 30, 2021, 11:58 AM

It'll be interesting to see if Southgate "rests" anyone vs Ukraine. I doubt he would, he's pretty conservative in that respect. But he should consider it. Now that Kane has scored, I'd doubt he subs him off. Same with Sterling of course. You could always bring them off the bunch for a run in no matter the score. Trippier was a little dinged. I'd consider sitting him. Maybe Stones as well. Would expect England to have the bulk of the possession. The three centerbacks shouldn't be needed. You can drop a six into that CB role on a counter or whatever. Of course, you don't want to rest half your team and disrespect the opponent, but certainly, you should be able to beat Ukraine regardless of who is starting. SHOULD.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Tone_ETone_ESupporter
Jun 30, 2021, 03:20 PM

"Lloyd Heilbrunn wrote:

The fact that England is good enough that they can win without playing Sancho is pretty scary...

Speaking of Sancho...

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jun 30, 2021, 04:50 PM
"Tone_E wrote:

Speaking of Sancho...

UGH... hate to see one of the other top six getting better while LFC is stuck in neutral, but it is what it is. I wish him nothing but the worst :lol:

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

LLLloyd HeilbrunnSupporter
Jul 2, 2021, 05:26 PM

Belgium's old, slow, 3 in the back finally cost them. As did the inability to make the last pass on the attack, and the failure to attack in numbers compared to the way Italy was able to...

As well as Italy played, they still reverted to the traditional Italian diving team at the end of the game!

Claymore95Claymore95Supporter
Jul 2, 2021, 05:29 PM

Immobile's Immaculate recovery after he realised Italy had scored when he was dying on the pitch...embarrassing.

Claymore95Claymore95Supporter
Jul 2, 2021, 05:32 PM

It was a great game though, pretty much end to end. The other quarter-final today, not so much. Backs to the wall defending by Switzerland, and Spain reverting to their earlier tournament form of not being able to score.

LLLloyd HeilbrunnSupporter
Jul 2, 2021, 05:33 PM
"Claymore95 wrote:

Immobile's Immaculate recovery after he realised Italy had scored when he was dying on the pitch...embarrassing.

They've always been my least favorite European team for this reason! Close 2nd is Portugal, which always reverts to hacking when they're losing...

Tone_ETone_ESupporter
Jul 2, 2021, 07:02 PM

What a game. Italy played amazingly well against Fifa No. 1 seed. Fully deserved that win. Spain next.

Also lets all pretend that only Italy resort to dives and embellishments, whatever makes you feel better about disliking them. Immobile was shameful though, me and family were calling him a number of bad names for that before the goal. Every player, club and country does it though - that's the sport these days.

I like this highlight from the game as well.
https://streamwo.com/dv9kmlM

Tone_ETone_ESupporter
Jul 2, 2021, 07:03 PM

"Lloyd Heilbrunn wrote:

They've always been my least favorite European team for this reason! Close 2nd is Portugal, which always reverts to hacking when they're losing...

Lol. Love it. Hacks when losing?

LLLloyd HeilbrunnSupporter
Jul 2, 2021, 10:32 PM

"Lloyd Heilbrunn wrote:

They've always been my least favorite European team for this reason! Close 2nd is Portugal, which always reverts to hacking when they're losing...

"Tone_E wrote:

Lol. Love it. Hacks when losing?

You don't think Portugal hacks when losing?

Check out their games against the USA and South Korea at the 2002 World Cup, their game against Germany at the 2014 World Cup, and even their game against Germany in these Euros...

If you look up hacking the dictionary you see a photo of Pepe.:2guns:

Tone_ETone_ESupporter
Jul 2, 2021, 10:41 PM

"Lloyd Heilbrunn wrote:

You don't think Portugal hacks when losing?

Check out their games against the USA and South Korea at the 2002 World Cup, their game against Germany at the 2014 World Cup, and even their game against Germany in these Euros...

If you look up hacking the dictionary you see a photo of Pepe.:2guns:

I misinterpreted Portugal for Italy.

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Jul 2, 2021, 11:43 PM

so the UEFA really called up Felix Brych a german referee to call the Ukraine England game...he is a good one, but sometimes I don´t get it....

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jul 3, 2021, 12:44 AM

"Alex13 wrote:

so the UEFA really called up Felix Brych a german referee to call the Ukraine England game...he is a good one, but sometimes I don´t get it....

Yea. Im a little worried about that one. After we beat Germany we face a German ref in Italy. Hmm.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jul 3, 2021, 12:53 AM

As for todays games, I thought Roberto Martinez got it all wrong vs Italy. He played a 343 but it was really a 523. Is Macca going to give him the same guff he gave Southgate for playing too defensive? Did Martinez not watch the Ita Aus game? Belgiums front three were way too isolated for the majority of the match. Now give Italy credit. They can only play their style. And if u arent going to press them thru the midfield and they are going to get on top of u with their full backs. They get rewarded for playing aggressively. They lose possession and they win it right back.

should be really interesting vs Spain. Could be an instant classic. And i hope we are talking about each teams skill rather than their theatrics

give the Swiss credit. They made it interesting. Michael Oliver sadly affecting the game with a straight red. At this stage u just cant do that. Terrible for the Swiss. Think they might have won it in regulation had the red card not been given. Their effort reminded me if Croatias run many years ago.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Claymore95Claymore95Supporter
Jul 3, 2021, 05:35 AM

"Tone_E wrote:

What a game. Italy played amazingly well against Fifa No. 1 seed. Fully deserved that win. Spain next.

Also lets all pretend that only Italy resort to dives and embellishments, whatever makes you feel better about disliking them. Immobile was shameful though, me and family were calling him a number of bad names for that before the goal. Every player, club and country does it though - that's the sport these days.

I like this highlight from the game as well.
https://streamwo.com/dv9kmlM

I like Italy, to me they're the best team in the tournament and should win it if they play at their best in the next two games. Immobile was ridiculous though, but you're right that they're not the only team that will try to milk the ref for free kicks and cards.

The double standards from commentators here is shameful, you often here them say "he wouldn't get away with that in the EPL/SPL", which is nonsense, you see the same almost every game from every nationality of player.

I remember, in particular for me as a Hearts fan, one of our Lithuanian players at the time was playing against Scotland and dived (it was blatant) to try and get a penalty, and he was then almost hounded out of Scotland afterwards. In one of the next games, a Scottish player did the same thing, nothing said apart from something like he was being "clever".

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jul 3, 2021, 11:31 AM

"Claymore95 wrote:

I like Italy, to me they're the best team in the tournament and should win it if they play at their best in the next two games. Immobile was ridiculous though, but you're right that they're not the only team that will try to milk the ref for free kicks and cards.

The double standards from commentators here is shameful, you often here them say "he wouldn't get away with that in the EPL/SPL", which is nonsense, you see the same almost every game from every nationality of player.

I remember, in particular for me as a Hearts fan, one of our Lithuanian players at the time was playing against Scotland and dived (it was blatant) to try and get a penalty, and he was then almost hounded out of Scotland afterwards. In one of the next games, a Scottish player did the same thing, nothing said apart from something like he was being "clever".

The theatrics have spread throughout the world, true. One would think with VAR it would be not as blatant. But until the FAs do something more harsh to combat it , it will never go away. I mean the Italian gk being fouled really by his own player (called on Witsel) was pretty bad. If anything Witsel was fouled.

but if u want to go back and talk about how it all started many years ago, my Italian friend here can give us a lesson. :lol:

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jul 3, 2021, 01:04 PM

Spinazzola out for Italy with an achilles. Thats a big loss IMO. He has been a real factor for them in their attack and freeing up Insigne.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jul 3, 2021, 01:06 PM

Denmark counter has been lethal. Going up one early on a suspicious corner call has been big.

im not expecting CR to come back. But having just said that a clear opportunity.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jul 3, 2021, 01:06 PM

Make that two lol

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Claymore95Claymore95Supporter
Jul 3, 2021, 02:14 PM

давай україно

:chuckle:

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jul 3, 2021, 02:28 PM

Not a fan of the English lineup. Both Rice and Phillips are on yellows. Why start them both? Its odd. I do like them going four at the back. Sancho has barely played and you start him now? I like the formation. But id rather see Grealish than Mount who has done nothing. At least its Sancho instead of Foden on the wing.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Jul 3, 2021, 02:29 PM

"Claymore95 wrote:

давай україно

:chuckle:

:ban:

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread