Grant
53 replies
"Piston Honda wrote:
This reminds me of the discussions on Clyde Gates when he was drafted. Ireland raving about his speed, Philbin pointing out his lack of route running ability. Coaches tend to want a guy to know the offense before he sees significant snap, regardless of his measurables.
Who gives a shiiiiiiiiit... You can hand the ball off to him, toss him a bubble screen. There is no effing reason not to get the ball in his hands.
It's like Oklahoma St. using Barry Sanders on special teams only his freshman year. Kid is a gamma ray in space...

"Piston Honda wrote:
This reminds me of the discussions on Clyde Gates when he was drafted. Ireland raving about his speed, Philbin pointing out his lack of route running ability. Coaches tend to want a guy to know the offense before he sees significant snap, regardless of his measurables.
Reminds me nothing of Clyde Gates.
We alread know that Grant can run routes. He was the leading wide receiver at Texas Tech. By leading, he has the most receptions of all time.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
Reminds me nothing of Clyde Gates.
We alread know that Grant can run routes. He was the leading wide receiver at Texas Tech. By leading, he has the most receptions of all time.
We don't know he was running routes as much as just running :) In this offense it seems receivers need to run precise routes and be where they are supposed to be. It does not appear Grant is doing that. Bubble screens and stuff for him sure, but I don't see much more for him.
Lord help us.
"dolphin25 wrote:
We don't know he was running routes as much as just running :) In this offense it seems receivers need to run precise routes and be where they are supposed to be. It does not appear Grant is doing that. Bubble screens and stuff for him sure, but I don't see much more for him.
You can watch him run routes. He is a really good comeback route as well as other routes as well. It is not NFL quality routes as you do not need to be NFL quality in college. Heck, only a few wide receivers are close like Amari Cooper.
I do not know what is missing or not. I only know what I have seen. His routes against the Titans were really well good. His routes for 3 of this 4 catches against the Giants were also good routes.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
You can watch him run routes. He is a really good comeback route as well as other routes as well. It is not NFL quality routes as you do not need to be NFL quality in college. Heck, only a few wide receivers are close like Amari Cooper.
I do not know what is missing or not. I only know what I have seen. His routes against the Titans were really well good. His routes for 3 of this 4 catches against the Giants were also good routes.
Something is missing, or else Gase really was hiding him :) I read somewhere he might not even return punts of kicks, which seems really odd.
Lord help us.
"dolphin25 wrote:
Something is missing, or else Gase really was hiding him :) I read somewhere he might not even return punts of kicks, which seems really odd.
We do not know.
He does need to improve. He is doing the double jump thing that college receivers do.
It is interesting. Either, occam's rzor is in effect and the coaching staff just do not think he is ready for the NFL at this time or Gase is really hiding him.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
Doing it fast is not the problem.
His problem is doing it too fast.
I'd say his problem is giving his routes away.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com
"ckparrothead wrote:
I'd say his problem is giving his routes away.
Well, with time comes nuance. I liken his role to that of Dave Megget from Parcells' Giants. Just keep sprinkling him in...

I think they can get him to learn 10 plays in 2 weeks time.
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
Reminds me nothing of Clyde Gates.
We alread know that Grant can run routes. He was the leading wide receiver at Texas Tech. By leading, he has the most receptions of all time.
Understood. But he's not at Texas Tech anymore, nor will there be any 3rd and 4th string players on the field like there were during preseason. He's an exciting player, I'd like to see him too. If it happens on Sunday I'd love it, if not, I'm cool with that too. With the limits on practice time during the offseason it's possible they haven't finished putting in the amount of packages they want.
"Piston Honda wrote:
Understood. But he's not at Texas Tech anymore, nor will there be any 3rd and 4th string players on the field like there were during preseason. He's an exciting player, I'd like to see him too. If it happens on Sunday I'd love it, if not, I'm cool with that too. With the limits on practice time during the offseason it's possible they haven't finished putting in the amount of packages they want.
I know he is not at Texas Tech anymore.
His problems are different than the problems of Clyde Gates. I cannot think of a time when Miami had a player like Grant on the team.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Pandarilla wrote:
Who gives a shiiiiiiiiit... You can hand the ball off to him, toss him a bubble screen. There is no effing reason not to get the ball in his hands.
It's like Oklahoma St. using Barry Sanders on special teams only his freshman year. Kid is a gamma ray in space...
Barry Sanders is a bit much, but I get your point. If they do have some gadget plays for him I'd prefer saving them for New England. He's not Clyde Gates skill set wise, it's the discussion about them I find similar.
"Piston Honda wrote:
Barry Sanders is a bit much, but I get your point. If they do have some gadget plays for him I'd prefer saving them for New England. He's not Clyde Gates skill set wise, it's the discussion about them I find serious.
It's physics man. No need to surprise anybody, he is not playing out of his mind, he was second overall in college last year in yac yardage. Nobody can cover him one on one. That's just who he is.
Gase has to be setting a smokescreen... Sorry for the hyperbole earlier. It's just that as a fan, that's my boy, I wanna see him play early and often. I called it in a draft forum thread. If I have anything in common with Stephen Ross, it's that we both loved this kid.

"Pandarilla wrote:
It's physics man. No need to surprise anybody, he is not playing out of his mind, he was second overall in college last year in yac yardage. Nobody can cover him one on one. That's just who he is.
Gase has to be setting a smokescreen... Sorry for the hyperbole earlier. It's just that as a fan, that's my boy, I wanna see him play early and often. I called it in a draft forum thread. If I have anything in common with Stephen Ross, it's that we both loved this kid.
I am hoping it is a smokescreen. He is such an exciting player.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"ckparrothead wrote:
I'd say his problem is giving his routes away.
That was what I gleaned when either Gase or Jefferson was talking about his not having to be so fast and that he needed to be more deceptive.
"MikeHoncho wrote:
If he pans out as a Darren Sproles type threat, I'll be real excited.
Even if he becomes another Dante Hall, it would be acceptable.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
Grant is a rookie. He is still learning how to be a professional which includes having the trust of your team and coach that you will do your job. That takes time.
He has to eliminate mistakes and gain that trust.
Gase will use him but sparingly on offense. As he proves himself during practice, I expect his role to increase slowly.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pandarilla wrote:
It's physics man. No need to surprise anybody, he is not playing out of his mind, he was second overall in college last year in yac yardage. Nobody can cover him one on one. That's just who he is.
Gase has to be setting a smokescreen... Sorry for the hyperbole earlier. It's just that as a fan, that's my boy, I wanna see him play early and often. I called it in a draft forum thread. If I have anything in common with Stephen Ross, it's that we both loved this kid.
I can respect being a fan of a player. I hope he does super well.
Lord help us.
"MikeHoncho wrote:
If he pans out as a Darren Sproles type threat, I'll be real excited.
That's what I've been saying since the draft! Use him like the Saints used Sproles... Screens, reverses and quick stuff to get him in the open.
"dolphin25 wrote:
I can respect being a fan of a player. I hope he does super well.
Every year I place an emotional bet on who I like. Well, I had a lot of spare time in Phoenix, AZ to scroll through the players pre draft. I didn't get to Grant til way late and mostly by accident. In the depths of my YouTube scouting malaise lay a treasure.
By the way, looks like Finster and you have the lead so far with Dak Prescott and Brandon Doughty respectively. Melvin Gordon looks primed to bite my ass this year also...that is all

"Pandarilla wrote:
Every year I place an emotional bet on who I like. Well, I had a lot of spare time in Phoenix, AZ to scroll through the players pre draft. I didn't get to Grant til way late and mostly by accident. In the depths of my YouTube scouting malaise lay a treasure.
By the way, looks like Finster and you have the lead so far with Dak Prescott and Brandon Doughty respectively. Melvin Gordon looks primed to bite my ass this year also...that is all
I was so close to drafting Grant in my FF league with the last pick.
Dreaming that this is all a ruse and he is going to dominate as a rookie. Dante Hall with route running ability and an understanding of offense. That is just an exciting combination.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
I was so close to drafting Grant in my FF league with the last pick.
Dreaming that this is all a ruse and he is going to dominate as a rookie. Dante Hall with route running ability and an understanding of offense. That is just an exciting combination.
He's so much faster than Dante, probably more wiggle too, which seems unfathomable. He's a fantasy football game changer. You had inside information and you picked who instead? If they use him on offense you're going to kick yourself.

If you saw Grant get hit today, then you know why they're just using him on Special Teams. He looked like a middle schooler moved up to the varsity team...and they knocked the dookie out of him. I don't think he would last a regular season as a slot receiver like how we use Landry (which is basically a 4-yard catch and tackle dummy). That's not a slight on Landry either...he played hard today and made a few awesome plays. But he also got leveled several times before he got to turn on the juice.
Grant couldn't take that kind of punishment out in the flats- they'd break him in two.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"KeyFin wrote:
If you saw Grant get hit today, then you know why they're just using him on Special Teams. He looked like a middle schooler moved up to the varsity team...and they knocked the dookie out of him. I don't think he would last a regular season as a slot receiver like how we use Landry (which is basically a 4-yard catch and tackle dummy). That's not a slight on Landry either...he played hard today and made a few awesome plays. But he also got leveled several times before he got to turn on the juice.
Grant couldn't take that kind of punishment out in the flats- they'd break him in two.
That hit sounded bad, but he bounced right up.
Did you see the facemask tackle that didn't get called? Worst blown call ever!