Guitar Hero World Tour vs. Rock band 2 Discussion
36 replies
I think it would be fun to discuss which of these two games you all prefer. Today I was at best buy, and they had both games set up on display. So, I got the opportunity to try out both drum sets. I find that the Guitar Hero drumset is much better than Rock Band's set. Much better rebound (although the RB2 set is an improvement from the RB set I tried out). I also find that the location of the crash cymbol for the Guitar Hero drumset is much better. I find myself missing less. The create your own music thing is neat too if you are into that. The setup is much more intuitive for the hi hat as well.
The major advantage Rock band 2 has is its setlist, which includes both RB and RB2 tracks. I also like the overall interface of Rockband better (5 stars, score, etc).
One thing I do like is that you can use the GHWT drumset in rockband. So I may consider getting GHWT and then eventually rockband standalone game. There are just so many games that are coming out I would love to get and little time and money to waste.
I didn't get to try out the guitars. Maybe some of you can give some insight on which is better.
I saw the commercial tonight and I have to say I've never been so embaressed for professional athletes in my life....
Kobe, I expected better from you.
Phelps, I figured it was only a matter of time until you came out of the closet.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
^... what?!
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"anlgp wrote:
^... what?!
I believe he is referring to the Guitar Hero: World Tour commercial where they come out and dance/play to "Old Time Rock and Roll" like that Tom Cruise movie.
"anlgp wrote:
^... what?!
because of this commercial
link
^ Yep, I hope they got paid a ****load to do that bc it was horrific.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
That has to be one of the gayest things I have even seen...
All work and no play makes Mike a dull boy...
I prefer the online support of Rock Band. Guitar Hero said when 2 came out it would have the most downloadable content ever..........yeah right, they had like 6 songs come out for it, and then instantly came out with GH3. Rock Band has hundreds of songs online and they will work with Rock Band 1 or 2.

i really want to buy rock band 2 with all the instruments...but its 190 bucks and ....its a bunch of plastic instruments :lol:
WHAT TO DO??!?!?! :(
Rock Band 2 is better. If it wasn't Guitar Hero wouldn't have copied them. The online selection for Rock Band is already outstanding and light years ahead of guitar hero. This is coming from someone who bought the first three guitar hero games and didn't cave in and try rock band until 6 months after its release.
"Phin-o-rama wrote:
i really want to buy rock band 2 with all the instruments...but its 190 bucks and ....its a bunch of plastic instruments :lol:
WHAT TO DO??!?!?! :(
Take that 2 bones and buy yourself a cheap strat...and make some REAL music!:shifty:
...Or you could just invite a guy that has all the stuff already over and use the money for beer:up: That usually works.:lol:
*But seriously, at least TRY to get a guitar/bass/drums and play those songs for real...the more musicians we can get out of this, the better.:yes: Heck, you might find that playing the real songs is actually easier and more fun than the VG version!:D
Honor in Virtue. Truth in Sacrifice. Strength in All.
Please keep the discussion to the actual topic (video games) and not "real instruments vs video games".
I bought Rockband I because the drums looked fun and you know what? They are a BLAST!
I sang in a band from age 19 to 24, I did the music thing (being a singer is not really being a "musician" though but you do get the most woman). The singing part of "Rockband" is very lame. I did the "guitar" a little bit but failed miserably. When there is more than one person playing (which is often, it has become almost a weekly thing to get hammered and play Rockband at my place) and I can't play drums I'll play bass in songs because I can hear the bass and I understand it, the guitar has always gone right over my head. I'm a "rhythm section" guy.
I know "real musicians" find both games laughable and I get that. I also get that not everyone has music in their blood. Learning an instrument for non gifted people is very hard and time consuming. I tried to learn guitar from my bands guitar player for years and could never "get it".
Back on topic: Like I said earlier, the drums are so fun. I tend to go back and forth between "medium" and "hard". I've tried a few songs on "expert" but they have to be easy drum songs. I tried "Blackened" on "expert" and got killed by it.
The issue I have with "Rockband" and "Rockband II" is the set list. It's got a lot of filler, not enough metal and a few tracks that are only on there because the game makers have an affiliation with a record label or a band.
I'm probably going to buy "Guitar Hero World Tour" when the price drops a bit. It has 3 TOOL songs on it and that makes it a must buy for me. I need to play video game drums to a TOOL song.

I'm on Twitter @ut_pez
The new Guitar Hero is in stores?
"JCowScot wrote:
Take that 2 bones and buy yourself a cheap strat...and make some REAL music!:shifty:
...Or you could just invite a guy that has all the stuff already over and use the money for beer:up: That usually works.:lol:
*But seriously, at least TRY to get a guitar/bass/drums and play those songs for real...the more musicians we can get out of this, the better.:yes: Heck, you might find that playing the real songs is actually easier and more fun than the VG version!:D
Playing real guitar is harder but 1000 times more rewarding. I think Iron man might easier to play for real than it was back in GH .
So do we have a consensus here on which one is better? I am leaning towards Rockband.


"enforcerfin33 wrote:
So do we have a consensus here on which one is better? I am leaning towards Rockband.
RB2 only cause of the set list and ability to port over the RB1 songs and the downloadable content. i think i have about 300 songs now. plus they got Dr Feelgood... lol :lol:
I need to play video game drums to a TOOL song.
As I can see by your signature you know tool. Air drumming to tool is hard (this coming from a guitar player).
Seen'em 3 times live, myself.
Good luck :D
guitar hero? played it a few times, could never get into it really.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"anlgp wrote:
As I can see by your signature you know tool. Air drumming to tool is hard (this coming from a guitar player).
Seen'em 3 times live, myself.
Good luck :D
guitar hero? played it a few times, could never get into it really.
Seen them in Vancouver 4 times, Seattle once, Victoria once, Everett once and Edmonton once.

I'm on Twitter @ut_pez
"Dolphin1184 wrote:
Please keep the discussion to the actual topic (video games) and not "real instruments vs video games".
I answered the man's question- I told him it wasn't worth it, and that he should just invite someone else who already had the stuff over. So there!!:tongue2:
That's what I do, actually; a bunch of us just go to a central location to play and drink once in a while. Some ppl have the guitars, some have all the stuff, and me- I bring the beer!:up:
I find nothing wrong in encouraging others to buy/learn to play musical instruments. Isn't that what these games are doing (to an extent) anyway?? As long as I'm not posting a useless troll post...:wink2:
Now, so that you can't harp on me being off-topic again, I would personally go with Rock Band 2, as I prefer their interface and song selection. From what I've heard, the GH:WT drum kit is more sturdy/responsive, but as I'm not a very experienced drummer, I can't personally vouch for that.
As it's mainly a party game, my advice to whomever is looking into it is to see what the majority of your friends have, and go with that.
Honor in Virtue. Truth in Sacrifice. Strength in All.
Lemme bring this thread back up. Question - I typed in the cheat codes to unlock all 86 songs in "quickplay" mode. It said that they were unlocked, but when I go to quickplay there are the same 24 songs available. Where are all the unlocked ones? Has anyone come across this?
Sorry, I'm a Guitar Hero newbie. I need to get it down pat before Metallica comes out, lol.
Oh..didn't see that option. Lemme go look again and try it. Thanks.
So does anyone know if the band kit for GHWT works with RB2? I've heard some say yes and no. Anyone know for a fact? The RB2 DLC looks way better than GHWT.
"bg34 wrote:
So does anyone know if the band kit for GHWT works with RB2? I've heard some say yes and no. Anyone know for a fact? The RB2 DLC looks way better than GHWT.
On the 360 it 100% does. I have the band kit for World Tour and the game for RB2 and it works fine. You probably want to remove the orange drum cymbal because i isn't used. But it works fine.
yesssssssssssssssssss
Fin D;2829671 wrote:
As mor wisely said