How will the BCS standings shape up?

132 replies

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Nov 6, 2008, 10:09 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

One word Stiches, speed....

I must've missed Ole Miss' track stars beating Florida's.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Nov 6, 2008, 10:17 PM

The whole speed thing is a joke unless you mean the trench guys because thats what killed Ohio St. We got Big Power guys and they went up against Speed/Finesse guys.

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 12:18 AM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

The whole speed thing is a joke unless you mean the trench guys because thats what killed Ohio St. We got Big Power guys and they went up against Speed/Finesse guys.

Just the popular thing to say Maj.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 12:34 AM

Sadly alot of Casual SEC fans think the Speed thing is really the truth :pity:

King FelixKing FelixSupporter
Nov 7, 2008, 02:41 AM

you guys realize that usc doesnt get to control their destiny to the rose bowl? if oregon state wins out then they are in the rose bowl. its most def possible they win out, i think oregon state is a very good team. should have only 2 losses. they had it won in utah if it wasnt for a horrible call.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 03:15 AM

"King Felix wrote:

you guys realize that usc doesnt get to control their destiny to the rose bowl? if oregon state wins out then they are in the rose bowl. its most def possible they win out, i think oregon state is a very good team. should have only 2 losses. they had it won in utah if it wasnt for a horrible call.

I'm pulling for OSU :up:

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 10:09 AM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

:pointlol::pointlol::pointlol:

oh man so funny so funny.

I guess Michigan was to fast for Florida then last year.

Floridas Defense was horrible last year, thats why they lost to Michigan

"Stitches wrote:

I must've missed Ole Miss' track stars beating Florida's.

The entire SEC has speed. Just goes to show you how much parity is in that conference. When one of the bottom feeders in the Big 10 beats OSU or PSU, come talk to me.

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

The whole speed thing is a joke unless you mean the trench guys because thats what killed Ohio St. We got Big Power guys and they went up against Speed/Finesse guys.

Of course I am half joking, yes you and I have discussed the speed in the trenches. We're not talking about straight line track speed (although UF has 3 of the fastest guys in the nation in Harvin, Rainey and Demps)

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

Sadly alot of Casual SEC fans think the Speed thing is really the truth :pity:

Speed is the ultimate neutralizer in college football.

My favorite example is Miami vs. Nebraska in 2001. The Huskers came in with Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch at QB running the option against arguably the fastest Defense in the history of College Football... you saw the results.

This ultimately comes down to the Big 10 vs. SEC. We have bragging rights right now. Until the Big 10 wins a NC against an SEC team (they'll have to this year) my opinion of that conference will not change. We'll see though :up:

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

OboyOboyLuxury Box
Nov 7, 2008, 11:47 AM

"Stitches wrote:

I was hoping one of the Florida fans would recognize the connection.

I am just as glad you can point it out though. :hi5:

kinda... similar. Hopefully a different result. :wink2:

FIfinsincebirthForum Veteran
Nov 7, 2008, 12:48 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

One word Stiches, speed....

I know you're kidding, but I would say the advantage would go to Florida not because of their speed over Penn State. Instead it would be talent. IMO Florida is a way better talented team than PSU. Now I'm not saying talent is all that matters, because talent is only part of the equation that leads to victory. Just saying it's one advantage.

FIfinsincebirthForum Veteran
Nov 7, 2008, 12:51 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

The whole speed thing is a joke unless you mean the trench guys because thats what killed Ohio St. We got Big Power guys and they went up against Speed/Finesse guys.

Come on Maj, speed in the skill players does have an impact. Granted you're biggest speed impact is in the trenchs, ala that 06 championship game, but look at the Kentucky game. Jeff Demps gets matched up over the middle against the linebackers. Once he gets that ball on the crossing route he's taking it to the house because the linebackers can't catch him.

And if anything the speed argument is pointless unless you're taking about speed in the treches, and speed in space. Because if you can't get those skill players in space, then their speed is useless.

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 01:57 PM

"finsincebirth wrote:

I know you're kidding, but I would say the advantage would go to Florida not because of their speed over Penn State. Instead it would be talent. IMO Florida is a way better talented team than PSU. Now I'm not saying talent is all that matters, because talent is only part of the equation that leads to victory. Just saying it's one advantage.

You see how that one little word caused an uproar amongst Big 10 fans? Makes you wonder huh :wink2:

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Nov 7, 2008, 03:54 PM

"finsincebirth wrote:

I know you're kidding, but I would say the advantage would go to Florida not because of their speed over Penn State. Instead it would be talent. IMO Florida is a way better talented team than PSU. Now I'm not saying talent is all that matters, because talent is only part of the equation that leads to victory. Just saying it's one advantage.

Florida is more talented than Ole Miss as well. You can't say it will be a blow out of epic proportions just based on talent.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 04:27 PM

"Stitches wrote:

Florida is more talented than Ole Miss as well. You can't say it will be a blow out of epic proportions just based on talent.

He didnt say that, I did :wink2:

Hey, maybe this year the trend is broken. But the gap in talent between UF and PSU is pretty large IMO.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 06:27 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

He didnt say that, I did :wink2:

Hey, maybe this year the trend is broken. But the gap in talent between UF and PSU is pretty large IMO.

Everyone thought that about Ohio State/Miami Ohio State/Florida...

Do you realize how much more talented that Hurricane team was compared to history, let alone the Buckeyes?? No one has seen a team that talented in a LONG time. But we combined passion with the gift of the U underestimating us into an upset victory.

The 06 Ohio State Buckeyes were more talented than Florida and they got their ass whooped.

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 06:36 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

Everyone thought that about Ohio State/Miami Ohio State/Florida...

Do you realize how much more talented that Hurricane team was compared to history, let alone the Buckeyes?? No one has seen a team that talented in a LONG time. But we combined passion with the gift of the U underestimating us into an upset victory.

The 06 Ohio State Buckeyes were more talented than Florida and they got their ass whooped.

The Miami game was the U taking it for granted. They cant even use McGahee getting his knee obliterated as an excuse because to my knowledge he wasnt doing that much in the game before his injury (not to mention UM had a couple other solid backs at that time)

Were the Buckeyes more talented?

The D Line for UF was superior, the QB's were not that far apart (Leak was a solid system QB), UF probably had better receivers, the UF secondary was just as good if not better and UF's O-Line was pretty solid.

Where would say OSU had a serious edge in talent? Im asking because on paper I dont see it.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Nov 7, 2008, 07:02 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

He didnt say that, I did :wink2:

Hey, maybe this year the trend is broken. But the gap in talent between UF and PSU is pretty large IMO.

I know you said it, when I said "you say," it was more a general comment.

It was argued USC had more talent then Texas when they won, UM more talented then OSu, majority thought OSU would crush florida, everyone definitely though Boise St would lose to Oklahoma. How about Michigan against Appalachian state?

I mean that is why the games aren't played on paper. Both teams are still a good distance away from playing each other so it might not even matter in the end.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 07:08 PM

"Stitches wrote:

I know you said it, when I said "you say," it was more a general comment.

It was argued USC had more talent then Texas when they won, UM more talented then OSu, majority thought OSU would crush florida, everyone definitely though Boise St would lose to Oklahoma. How about Michigan against Appalachian state?

I mean that is why the games aren't played on paper. Both teams are still a good distance away from playing each other so it might not even matter in the end.

I agree with you that less talented teams have beaten superior opponents, but I was questioning whether OSU was the more talented team to begin with.

As previously stated, OSU played one superior team leading up to UF (Michigan) and squeaked it out.

It was vindication at the time for SEC fanboys like myself, who had been saying the Big 10 was a weak conference by comparison.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 08:31 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

I agree with you that less talented teams have beaten superior opponents, but I was questioning whether OSU was the more talented team to begin with.

As previously stated, OSU played one superior team leading up to UF (Michigan) and squeaked it out.

It was vindication at the time for SEC fanboys like myself, who had been saying the Big 10 was a weak conference by comparison.

Texas isn't a superior team now?

News to me.

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 09:24 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

Texas isn't a superior team now?

News to me.

Were they that year? That was Colt McCoy's Freshman year right?

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Nov 7, 2008, 09:30 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

Were they that year? That was Colt McCoy's Freshman year right?

Red Shirt Freshman

"Texas' biggest loss was the decision by quarterback Vince Young, winner of the 2006 Rose Bowl Most Valuable Player award, to enter the 2006 NFL Draft, where he was the #3 over-all pick and first quarterback selected. The Horns' had three options to replace Young: redshirt freshman Colt McCoy, true freshman Jevan Snead, or true freshman Sherrod Harris. Prior to the season, Coach Brown announced that McCoy would be the starter with Snead also getting some game-time.

With the exception of Young, David Thomas, Jonathan Scott, and Will Allen, Texas returned most of their key offensive players from 2005–2006, including fifth-year senior running back Selvin Young, true sophomore running back Jamaal Charles, receivers Quan Cosby, Billy Pittman, and Limas Sweed and lineman Lyle Sendlein, Kasey Studdard, and Justin Blalock. The defense lost starters Rodrique Wright, Aaron Harris, Cedric Griffin and Michael Huff.

In most preseason rankings, Texas was listed in the top five. In the initial USA Today Coaches' Poll, which is part of the Bowl Championship Series formula for determining which two teams play for the National Championship, Texas was ranked number two.[13] The same poll had Ohio State number 1,[14] meaning that if both teams held their ranking until their 9 September 2006 match-up, it would be a rarely-seen early-season meeting of the two most highly ranked teams in the sport.[15] The teams did keep their respective ranking until game day and played the earliest ever meeting of the #1 and #2 ranked teams.[16]

See also 2006 NCAA Division I-A football rankings"

They still had large amount of talent. The year before when they played Texas against Young Ohio St started Troy Smith int he second half and would have won if the TE learned how to catch the damn ball.

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Nov 8, 2008, 12:03 PM

You know what, I will of course be rooting for PSU, but I am now going to root for Florida now too.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

Nov 8, 2008, 06:39 PM

No longer have to worry about PSU :)

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Nov 8, 2008, 06:44 PM

Let it be know I said to watch out for Iowa and that game was not going to be a gimme like these SEC team fans said. Again all that crying about the BCS standings was for nothing.

Great game.

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Nov 8, 2008, 06:58 PM

"Stitches wrote:

I know you said it, when I said "you say," it was more a general comment.

It was argued USC had more talent then Texas when they won, UM more talented then OSu, majority thought OSU would crush florida, everyone definitely though Boise St would lose to Oklahoma. How about Michigan against Appalachian state?

I mean that is why the games aren't played on paper. Both teams are still a good distance away from playing each other so it might not even matter in the end.

:whistle:

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Nov 8, 2008, 07:09 PM

"Stitches wrote:

:whistle:

I guess people are going to say how the Big Ten is weak because teams within the conference play tough games.

No doubt PSU wins the Big Ten still. I believe Ohio St could still cough it up against the fighting Zookers.