Is it over for Tannehill? Getting close?
202 replies
Answer the poll...discuss.
@Alf_Arteaga on Twitter
"Being a part of success is more important than being personally indispensable. .''...- Pat Riley
3 Yards per Carry on itunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/3-yards-per-carry-miami-dolphins/id1363764781?mt=2
3 Yards per Carry for Android:
https://threeyardspercarry.podbean.com/
Too much potential. His ball placement has been WAY better as of late. Has a problem with maneuvering in the pocket but that seemed better the last 2 weeks with exception of a few plays. May not be elite but you can build around him most certainly and win.
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
Normally I'd want to give someone like him the rest of the current season, but I suspect Joe Philbin may not be able to afford that luxury.
Matt Moore is not any better of a quarterback, might as well go the entire season.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
Well it was over for Brady a couple weeks ago so...
I guess give him the end of the season is the closest to what I'd say, but it's not quite what I want to say. Tannehill gives the team the best chance of winning, flat out. Moore isn't going to swoop in and suddenly become something more than he's ever been. However, I don't think barring a 2013 Nick Foles level turnaround that there's any way the next GM/Coach don't draft/pick up competition, because it's been the same up and down play from Tannehill so far that we've seen his entire pro/amateur time.

Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.
I understand people are upset at Tannehill but if Finnegan tackles a guy in bounds or Quarless drops this pass and we are talking about Tannehill out doing Rodgers and playing a great second half. Did he make some mistake, totally but he wasn't terrible like many of you are stating. I would also like to see him play a full 60 min game but lets not act like he is the reason we lost this game alone.
I don't think Ryan Tannehill is a good QB.
That said, Matt Moore isn't really any better. I don't think you should bench Tannehill. However, I do think they need to alter the offense, and run more read-option.
In regards to what happens with Tannehill - I can't see how they pick up his 5th year option. The Dolphins need to bring in more talent at the position, and let them compete. If Tannehill wins, he wins, but they absolutely need to try to bring in more talent.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
"Canad-phin wrote:
I understand people are upset at Tannehill but if Finnegan tackles a guy in bounds or Quarless drops this pass and we are talking about Tannehill out doing Rodgers and playing a great second half. Did he make some mistake, totally but he wasn't terrible like many of you are stating. I would also like to see him play a full 60 min game but lets not act like he is the reason we lost this game alone.
Even if Finnegan made that tackle. I'm not sure how you could say Tannehill out played Rodgers.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
"Stringer Bell wrote:
Even if Finnegan made that tackle. I'm not sure how you could say Tannehill out played Rodgers.
I could say that in the 2nd half
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
I could say that in the 2nd half
In the second half? Sure. Overall? No.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
"Stringer Bell wrote:
Even if Finnegan made that tackle. I'm not sure how you could say Tannehill out played Rodgers.
Overall, he certainly didn't. However, the bar I set for Ryan Tannehill is not Aaron Rodgers. The bar I set for Ryan Tannehill right now -- as for whether or not we should continue on with him -- is Joe Flacco. Setting the bar there says that I need to at least see what happens over the next 11 games to decide whether or not I want to pull the plug.
Ryan Tannehill is very unlikely to ever be Aaron Rodgers, but I personally believe there is a very good chance he'll be Joe Flacco. He will never, ever be Dan Marino.
I don't think the coaching staff or Jeff Ireland have done him any favors, and I will leave it at that.
No. I still think he's going to get better and better as the season goes on.
Give him the whole season, got to.....
I have been his biggest supporter but he is even starting to lose me.....How much is Lazor? Philbin? Him? Who knows...
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
Would love to see Tannehill with Lazor as Head Coach and OC next season... Isn't that what Sean Payton was doing in New orleans for awhile?
My personal current take on Tannehil is...I HAVE NO IDEA. I cant seem to get a firm grasp on how I feel about him being the answer. My thoughts about him are just as inconsistant as his play this year. At this point let him finish out the year and see what happens but if he takes even the slightest step backwards, time to move on.
"finyank13 wrote:
Give him the whole season, got to.....
I have been his biggest supporter but he is even starting to lose me.....How much is Lazor? Philbin? Him? Who knows...
Certainly not Lazor. Lazor is the only reason I have not completely given up on Ryan Tannehill as the quarterback of the Miami Dolphins. Ryan was absolutely not getting adequate QB coaching under the Philbin/Sherman/Taylor triumvirate. From what I gather, Lazor is essentially the acting OC/QB Coach right now, and we are seeing that increased attention to footwork and detail that he was not getting under the unqualified Taylor.
Of course, Ryan Tannehill is not playing at a satisfactory level overall, and he might never do it for Miami. However, what bothers me about it is that I honestly believe he has the potential to be a very good quarterback and we have handled his development as badly as it can be handled. Year one he didn't have a real QB coach developing him and he had no weapons. Year two he didn't have a real QB coach and he had a truly lamentable offensive line. Year three he finally has a QB coach who seems to understand how to develop the quarterback, but we're still reliant on Brian Hartline and Mike Wallace and a very good (yet gimpy at the moment) H-Back to move our passing game. Where are the red zone weapons? The size mismatches? The physical players who can help their quarterback out by going up for contested footballs? I saw Landry do it last week, but other than him, who?
It is as if we have set him up to fail. If we move on from Ryan Tannehill, I won't be upset or piss and moan about it, but I do expect him to go on to success elsewhere, while I don't expect anyone else we bring in to play quarterback to enjoy great success so long as we have a bad coaching staff and a poor supporting cast. I could be wrong, and he could just be a perpetually average to above average quarterback, but right now I just don't believe that.
He had some great throws on Sunday, but he also had a couple of high school throws.
I'd be drafting a QB somewhere in Round 1-3 starting next year until I found an elite QB
I say he gets the whole season. I sure hope several of those remaining games are without Joe Philbin at the helm. There's something seriously wrong to me if your QB plays terrible first half, and very good in the second half after you get the chance to make adjustments. It's as if he's unprepared, the entire offense seems that way every game almost. Just takes forever to get going. If he can do it in the second half, why not the first when we walk into the game only knowing what we expect to see from the opposing defense. Why does it take us so long to figure it out. It's as if our game plan for the passing game is pure junk until we get a good look at the defense we're facing.
His ball placement has for the most part been better, once the offense seems to adjust itself, he plays alot better, it just seems he's not prepared properly to start the game. That's not just him though, its like the whole unit. To me thats on coaching. At least that's how I feel. We all know Taylor shouldn't be his QB coach. He's not really qualified for that, we know Philbin isn't a good head coach, so just how properly prepared is our QB each and every week??? That's what's bothering me. Doesn't make sense we can be poor in first half, and good in the second half. Something isn't right.

1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!
I'm with Stringer. Right now there are no better options at this point. Maybe Hickey takes a big swing and tries to trade for Matt Barkley (familiarity with the Philly offense), but aside from that, this season should be Ryan Tannehill's for better or worse. I'm not really sold on any of the big name QBs in next year's draft; if pressed I think I'd pick Connor Cook out of the bunc, but I think I'm more apt to try and bring in a veteran QB to compete with Tannehill, like Barkley, Mallett, etc. whether it's via trade or free agency, and take someone in the mid-rounds of the draft like Shane Carden or Rakeem Cato.
Christian Hackenberg of Penn State, IMO, is going to be the next "Andrew Luck" type QB coming out of college. Problem is, is that right now he's a true sophomore so he's not eligible for the Draft until 2016 if he chooses to leave early.
@KevinMD4
"RoninFin4 wrote:
I'm with Stringer. Right now there are no better options at this point. Maybe Hickey takes a big swing and tries to trade for Matt Barkley (familiarity with the Philly offense), but aside from that, this season should be Ryan Tannehill's for better or worse. I'm not really sold on any of the big name QBs in next year's draft; if pressed I think I'd pick Connor Cook out of the bunc, but I think I'm more apt to try and bring in a veteran QB to compete with Tannehill, like Barkley, Mallett, etc. whether it's via trade or free agency, and take someone in the mid-rounds of the draft like Shane Carden or Rakeem Cato.
Christian Hackenberg of Penn State, IMO, is going to be the next "Andrew Luck" type QB coming out of college. Problem is, is that right now he's a true sophomore so he's not eligible for the Draft until 2016 if he chooses to leave early.
Brian Hoyer could be available perhaps if we're talking trades and FA (assuming he's worthy).
Ride Tannehill out and let him grow more in this offense. MORE read option please!
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
"Piston Honda wrote:
Well it was over for Brady a couple weeks ago so...
Comparing Tannehill and Brady is laughable. If Brady was the QB of the Dolphins and had this WR's corp, the Dolphins would probably be at least 4-1 right now.
I have no problem with giving Tannehill the rest of the season to show he isn't the long term solution for the Dolphins at the QB position.
At least this will serve two purposes.
Even the most ardent Tannehill supporters will realize after this season that the Dolphins need to look elsewhere for another starting QB.
Since Philbin is tied together with Tannehill, I suspect he will be shown the door by Ross, as the Dolphins go on yet another search for the next Don Shula and Dan Marino.
"Bpk wrote:
Would love to see Tannehill with Lazor as Head Coach and OC next season... Isn't that what Sean Payton was doing in New orleans for awhile?
Why the hell would you want to see that?
"Stringer Bell wrote:
I don't think Ryan Tannehill is a good QB.
That said, Matt Moore isn't really any better. I don't think you should bench Tannehill. However, I do think they need to alter the offense, and run more read-option.
In regards to what happens with Tannehill - I can't see how they pick up his 5th year option. The Dolphins need to bring in more talent at the position, and let them compete. If Tannehill wins, he wins, but they absolutely need to try to bring in more talent.
I agree bring in talent and let them compete....but its WAYYYYYY to early to say you cant see how they pick up his 5th year option, when hes on year 3. Hes signed, and hes cheap. If he blows it up next year...then they will. If he sucks..they wont.
"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning"
Pele
"vt_dolfan wrote:
I agree bring in talent and let them compete....but its WAYYYYYY to early to say you cant see how they pick up his 5th year option, when hes on year 3. Hes signed, and hes cheap. If he blows it up next year...then they will. If he sucks..they wont.
He isn't blowing up a god damn thing.