1. KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    ssmiami, SICK and gafinfan like this.
  2. NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I got a call from Gruden last night, he said I'm a bit old, but he loves my enthusiasm for the game and thinks I would make a fine QB.

All joking aside, has the guy ever said anything bad about a player since he was fired?

We all know Luck has the tools.

3. KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Gruden always says good things about players, but he has never called someone the best prospect he has ever evaluated, period. Also, amongst his praise for most players he looks at, you can tell which ones he really likes and which ones he is simply talking up.

Look at how much he loves Tim Tebow. He's like me. He's a Tebow fan, but Jon also emphasizes that he is not a prototypical quarterback. Gruden stated in an article earlier today that he needs to be in an offense that is similar to what he ran at Florida. "He's a spread quarterback," was the quote directly from Gruden.

4. djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    You know the thoughts are crossing his mind..Dolphin head coach, with Luck as his executioner..

What I like about Gruden is his appreciation of history, especially our's..His comments about how it used to be around here, and how ''HE WANTED TO MAKE IT RETURN", was exciting to hear from a potential head coach prospect..

I still have Cowher as my personal first choice, but I would ride with the Grudster, I believe he wants to develope a QB from scratch.

5. JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    WOAH WOAH WOAH!
    From what I have been reading here lately and with all the ESPN gushing, Gruden is way behind on loving Luck as a prospect.

People have moved onto loving him as multiple Super Bowl winning Hall of Fame QB.

6. KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    You know what attracts me to Jon Gruden the most though? The fact that this guy is currently not coaching anyone, yet he still gets up at 3:17AM every morning, goes to this office that he has rented out, and watches film. How many unemployed coaches keep their daily routine as if they are still coaching? I read an article last night where Jim Leavitt was studying film with Jon Gruden after Leavitt was dismissed from the South Florida team, and Leavitt was there with him at 4AM every morning studying tape. Jon has put in a lot of time studying the college spread offenses. Now, he may not bring that offense in total to the NFL. He may simply be looking at different pieces of it to add to what he has always done offensively, which is voluminous in and of itself. What it shows me is that he wants to be adaptable and adjust what he does to the players he has. If he gets an Andrew Luck to play quarterback for him, then you may see him run his WCO offense with some added spread concepts. If he can't land Luck and makes a trade to get Tebow and ends up drafting Robert Griffin III, you may see him put in a full spread offense to accomodate the player. This is something we have been missing in Miami since Shula - doing things that you players do well, not forcing them to do what you want them to do.

7. CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    He sees that the Dolphin fans are on the SFL Bandwagon and he wants to jump in.Its a pretty good indication he wants to be the next Dolphin HC .:up:

PhinsRock likes this.
  8. KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    He also likes Landry Jones.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20110709/OPINION01/110709519/-1/living?Title=Camp-attracts-top-QBs

Now, some are going to point out that he had good things to say about Jordan Jefferson (why was he invited to the Manning passing camp?), but if you noticed, he pointed out some of the things that Jordan needs to work on while also saying good things about him. It is clear that his praise for Luck and Jones is on a different level than his praise of Jefferson though. Luck and Jones look like guys he would start as rookies. He talks about Jefferson like he is a developmental guy.

ckparrothead and gafinfan like this.
  9. RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    As long as he doesn't call Andrew Luck "The Sheriff", I'm okay with Jon Gruden (hey, I'm a fellow Univ. of Dayton alum) and Andrew Luck.

10. RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    And he had that quote about wanting to rekindle the rivalries with Buffalo and New England during MNF week 1. I think he ought to dust off his resume rather soon.

11. PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Gruden's offensive system was always veteran friendly in part because it contained an awful lot of verbiage, often too much for younger QB's to execute well. Luck, being a Stanford guy, probably has the ability to absorb and learn it quicker than your average QB, although I would hope Gruden would start a bit more basic and add things as they go along.

12. alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    All WCO guys have long verbiage, really. Luck comes from a WCO system that featured a lot of plays and long verbiage. Its just a matter of how quickly he picks it up, and as you said intelligence is in his favor.

emocomputerjock and PhinGeneral like this.
  13. MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

So, you're saying QBs from schools like Oklahoma and Oklahoma St may have longer learning curves in a Jon Gruden offense? ;)

14. Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    What is the point of this thread? We all know Gruden loves QB's and it's obvious he is gonna be all over Luck.

15. Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Sorry, but I still don't buy Gruden as a QB guru. It's so easy to say something good about Andrew Luck. Let's hear his thoughts on Ryan Tannehill.

16. Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    You know, I've been watching film on this kid from Texas A&M named Ryan Tannehill and really like what I see.

unifiedtheory and SICK like this.
  17. MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I like Jon a lot as an announcer, but based on what we have heard so far, next Monday night, he'll probably be making Matt Moore sound like a sure fire Pro Bowler, unless he and the rest of team just really stink up the joint.

18. padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "So Jon, what do you think of this ham sandwich?"

"This is the most spectacular ham sandwich I've ever, seen, mustard, cheese, mayo, it is the total package!!!"

BTW Mr C, that is Matt Moore in my sigpic, only he is more or less faceless as the SFLers think of him that way.

And there is the element of "yet another new Qb puts on the hat in Miami"

As for myself, I just wish to see what he can do for us, I kinda like his game, but think his skillset does not matchup well vs the Jest.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  19. Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    He got some really good years out of some average QBs.

20. Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    We must have different definitions of "really good" and "average".

21. thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Thats some deep **** for a football forum. Well put though...

I'm okay with Gruden simply because I see a passion for the game. That hasnt been reflected in our coaching staff in the last 2.5 years as far as I'm concerned. Making the argument for the rest of the currents staff tenure would be difficult. I can see him getting a team emotionally charged and ready to go...sure that may not count for much, but it counts for something. At least as a fan you feel like you're watching people TRYING again.

Honestly...I'm still not seeing us as a Luck or Gruden contender. Maybe its just jaded Miami fan syndrome.

There was a vikings quote going around the internet right now... "When I die, I want the Minnesota Vikings to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time". I guess that applies to us Miami fans too. Somehow I see us getting screwed in the offseason, one way, or every way =D

padre31 likes this.
  22. djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Could Leavitt come with him?,

If we don't get Luck, what about a draft with somthin like RG3 and Denard Robinson.?

23. gafinfan gunner Club Member

So Chucky is a positive guy. Where is the harm in that, for a HC type, Its a trait I'd like our HC to have rather than "I don't know!"

Would he be good for Luck or Luck good for him if both end up here. I say yes but thats just me. The same goes for Cowher imo concerning Luck as from the comments I've seen here and elsewhere both men are thought to prefer a Vet over a rookie/young QB yet I don't see that as set in stone as some do.

I think either man would be crazy to pass on a chance to draft a Luck type QB as well as being stubborn about how to use the kids talents just to prove a point!

24. the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    John Gruden & Andrew Luck would be the best thing to happen to Miami since the perfect season!

25. MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I don't think we can fault Tony for not being positive. He is mind boggling in how positive he can be sometimes. He likes Reshad at FS, says he is doing a good job, while all of us are scratching our heads, saying "huh?" He is also positive on the fine job Marc Colombo is doing, even though none of us can see what is fine about anything Colombo has done.

26. JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Apparently that Dan Marino guy was a bum.

unluckyluciano, and SICK like this.
  27. the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    to whom it may concern:
    1) Tony is a nice guy, affable in every way. the only thing I fault him for is being a bad Head Coach.
    2) If we were to be so fortunate as to acquire John Gruden & Andrew Luck, this would be the winning formula to revitalize an ailing franchise.

however, it is what it is, very ugly and unpleasant @ the moment.

better to use another hook:dolphin:

[mod] Let's stick to the commenting on the post and not the poster. [/mod]

28. rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I like Gruden, but this is kind of an obvious statement. Anybody with an ounce of football knowledge realizes that Luck is a great prospect. I equate his statement with those politicians who say they are pro-agriculture. I mean who is going to say "we have to get rid of that agriculture thing".

29. gafinfan gunner Club Member

Tony is not so much positive as he is nice. Tony even fist pumps FG's ...... Chucky not so much. Chucky's will come with pick 6's and 44 yd passing TD's!

30. ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    You, sir, just provided the 'smoking gun' evidence to my theory that Jon Gruden would want to bring Jim Leavitt along as the Dolphins' Defensive Coordinator.

I love it.

The only down side would be that Leavitt's players were known for being dumb as hell when it came to stupid penalties and things like that, and as I recall Gruden's teams in Tampa became known for not being very disciplined. At least at USF, Leavitt had something of an excuse in that he was forced to recruit a lot of the dumbest kids in the state of Florida, the guys that couldn't make grades at one of the bigger SEC schools or Florida State/Miami.

I'm actually stoked about Jon Gruden based on the stuff you've dug up. Kudos.

31. ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I've always kind of figured that if Andrew Luck wasn't in the cards then he would err more toward Landry Jones than Matt Barkley. Landry seems more his style given what he'd like to implement at the next level.

32. ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    That's what I have been speculating the last couple of days. I think he very well could. Keith provided a nice bit of evidence in favor of that theory which makes me all the more sure.

33. ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I have to say, it's kind of lazy how everyone is like "of course Gruden said something positive about Luck". I question whether some of you even bothered to read the article Keith shared.

Here are Gruden's quotes:

Yeah...clearly Andrew Luck is just another guy to Jon Gruden. Clearly Jon Gruden knows next to nothing about him and hasn't studied him, talked to people close to him and divined any insights about him.

SICK, ssmiami and schmolioot like this.
  34. ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I feel stupid for not finding the David Shaw connection earlier. David Shaw was Jon Gruden's Offensive Quality Control coach when Gruden was the Offensive Coordinator in Philadelphia. He moved to Oakland with Jon Gruden when Gruden was named Head Coach, and served as Quality Control for Gruden in 1998, 1999 and 2000. He was bumped to QB Coach in 2001 under Gruden. When Gruden was traded to Tampa, Shaw went over to Baltimore as QBs and WRs coach. Then he went to San Diego. When Jim Harbaugh got the Stanford job, he hired Shaw as his Offensive Coordinator.

Jim Harbaugh by the way was hired in Oakland by Jon Gruden's long time assistant Bill Callahan. Harbaugh was fiercely loyal to Callahan, even when things were going downhill, so I've read.

Quite frankly, I'm wondering if Jon Gruden didn't get Jim Leavitt that job he has out in San Francisco under Jim Harbaugh as Vic Fangio's LBs Coach.

I think you can call me now firmly in the tank for Jon Gruden. One significant fear I have is that Steve Ross ****s up to where he insists on keeping Jeff Ireland, or puts together something unimpressive to where Andrew Luck discusses things with his dad Oliver, and decides to pull an Eli/Elway...saying "I won't play for you". If Jon Gruden is Miami's Head Coach, I can virtually guarantee that is not going to happen. There's too much overlap between Gruden, Harbaugh and Shaw.

So basically among the things I would expect Jon Gruden to do if he were to coach here would be...hiring Jim Leavitt, possibly as Defensive Coordinator...and hiring Bill Callahan away from the Jets which would be IMO a significant loss for them. Whether Callahan would coach OL or be Gruden's OC again, I don't know. But I have always been impressed with how well COACHED the Jets offensive linemen are under Callahan. They're not doing well now but that's because they're trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh-t. That's on Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan, for drafting duds like Vlad Ducasse and Matt Slauson, counting on them too much, releasing Damien Woody and then not replacing him, counting on a turd like Wayne Hunter. They're reaping what they sowed from a personnel standpoint, but Callahan is still a good coach.

35. finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    How about this scenario: Let's say we hire Gruden and are in a position to draft Luck. Does Gruden then go out and hire Shaw as his OC? Then you have Luck in the same system he's been in for years. Talk about setting a rookie up for success.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

36. ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think David Shaw would rather stay at Stanford than come up and be Gruden's OC...just a hunch.

I think what I would like to see is Jon Gruden come in, steal Bill Callahan away from the Jets in some capacity (possibly OC), steal Jim Leavitt away from the 49ers as our defensive coordinator...draft Andrew Luck, of course...and then I'm kind of undecided on the GM thing.

I would absolutely love Russ Ball to come in here and set up the Dolphins organization to be a winner...but would he come in and hire Jon Gruden? I'm at a loss on GM ideas if Gruden is our guy at HC.

37. schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You might end up with Ireland being the GM, but losing his "final say" power to Gruden.

38. dirtywhiteboy Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Central Fl
    Do you believe Bill Callahan would be a good OC?

39. Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That's a disaster in the making. Coaches should not have final say. That's how salary caps get screwed up and people get fired.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  40. schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Didn't endorse the idea, just saying it might happen