Just for fun, mock draft .5
46 replies
Well, it is Mid December, the bowl games have not been played, but I'll take a shot at Mocking the Draft
Assuming we pick in the 20's (9-7 or 10-6, this year though, your draft position is not settled until eliminated from the playoffs)
#23..Mike Lupati..firece run blocker, and potential tackle prospect, he would solve the revolving door at Guard
Plan B Jermain Gresham, a target for Henne.
#54 Marshawn Gilyard
A surprise even for me, however I love his character, this is one loyal player who got up and left when HC Brian Kelly announced he was leaving Cinci high and dry and going to ND, and to be honest Wr at this level all have similar measurables, it is work ethic and character that make the difference imho
Plan B Eric Norwood, young blood into the OLB corps
#86 Joe Pawlek ILB Baylor
Plan B Brandon Graham Michigan or Brandon Lane Troy young Lb's with speed
#112 Jan Jorgenson BYU, another OLB/DE type.
5th rd pick...traded
6th rd pick John Fletcher, DE Wyoming, 6'6 260 he is was a second team all MWAC selection and could be a strongside linebacker who can stuff the run and is already a contributor on Special Teams for the Cowboys with 3 blocked kicks
6th rd pick Eric Davis C, Central Michigan
7th rd pick Naiman Roosevelt Buffalo
Defense heavy I'll grant but they seem to have pecuilar disaffection for taking wr early, they prefer to develop them, I do think the defense has been our achilles heel this season with several 4th qtr leads being lost this year.
Let me add that in this scenario, we do not retain JT and Smiley is waived/injured, as well as Ted Ginn being shown the door as Gilyard can do what Ginn does for us, but is a more explosive playmaker as a Wr, Lionel Dotson is also no longer a factor and Fergie is replaced by Ryan Baker with Paul Soliai entering 2010 as the Starting NT, Akin Ayodele is also leaving in this Defense Heavy Scenario.
I'm not a big fan of going offensive line so early. Even with injury and performance issues, we've shown an ability to both run and pass protect. I just don't see it as a significant enough hole to warrant use of our first pick.
You really think Brandon Graham would be there in the 3rd? It's obviously all speculation at this point, but I've thought of him as a 2nd or low 1st prospect. I would love to pair him up with Wake!
Soliai impressed me this past Sunday, but I still don't think he is ready to be the front-man in a rotation featuring a guy like Ryan Baker (though I'll admit I haven't seen enough of him to really be sure of that).
"Frayser wrote:
I'm not a big fan of going offensive line so early. Even with injury and performance issues, we've shown an ability to both run and pass protect. I just don't see it as a significant enough hole to warrant use of our first pick.
You really think Brandon Graham would be there in the 3rd? It's obviously all speculation at this point, but I've thought of him as a 2nd or low 1st prospect. I would love to pair him up with Wake!
Soliai impressed me this past Sunday, but I still don't think he is ready to be the front-man in a rotation featuring a guy like Ryan Baker (though I'll admit I haven't seen enough of him to really be sure of that).
The way I approached this was "which player would fill the largest hole on what the coach considers to be the most important unit"?
He would fill the hole at Guard for the next 10yrs potentially.
As for Graham in the 3rd, eh, it is a Defense heavy draft with the thought being they will clean house on the defense this offseason.
I'm still iffy on Lang as a third rounder. I said months ago he would be at worst a mid second and I still believe that. Just my opinion though. He's very talented and will impress in workouts IMO.
"alen1 wrote:
I'm still iffy on Lang as a third rounder. I said months ago he would be at worst a mid second and I still believe that. Just my opinion though. He's very talented and will impress in workouts IMO.
At this point I have him as a bit below Sidbury last season, he had a great workout but just slid back because of his small school status.
And this draft is also predicated on:
We go Gresham, but Nalbone then competes with Haynos and Fasano, loser leaves, otherwise doubling up on Te's would make sense.
"padre31 wrote:
At this point I have him as a bit below Sidbury last season, he had a great workout but just slid back because of his small school status.
And this draft is also predicated on:
We go Gresham, but Nalbone then competes with Haynos and Fasano, loser leaves, otherwise doubling up on Te's would make sense.
Troy's not UF but I wouldn't call them Richmond small. They are pretty good and have produced a couple quality pass rushers and a couple nice DB's.
I don't see how he's behind Sidbury. Especially when talking talent level IMO. To each their own though. :)
What's up with all the Plan B stuff? You only get one pick buddy. :wink2:
I wouldn't hate the Mike Iupati pick but I believe we have much bigger needs. Plus there are a few guys I like in the later rounds. John Jerry, Sergio Render, Reggie Stephens, Thomas Austin, Andrew Lewis, Alonzo Durham, Cord Howard, and Marshall Newhouse. I'd rather take a chance on one of them and address a more pressing need.
And by more pressing need I don't mean tight end. Forget about Jermaine Gresham.
Love Mardy Gilyard. :up:
How about this? Draft Jerry Hughes in the 1st round and then you don't have to mess with Eric Norwood, Brandon Graham, Brandon Lane, Jan Jorgenson, or John Fletcher.
Here's my question about Joe Pawlek. Would he start ahead of Crowder, Ayodele, or Torbor? If not then I say no thanks. We need a starter with our 3rd round pick not depth.
I'm gonna be honest. Never heard of Eric Davis or Naaman Roosevelt before I read your post. From what I can tell Davis is a junior who would probably go undrafted. Why do you like him?
Roosevelt looks like an interesting prospect on paper. I'll check him out in the East West Shrine game. Thanks. :up:
Also you left out a 6th and 7th round pick.
"Football is back!"
-Roger Goodell
Here's my current dream draft. Keep in mind its constantly changing.
Round 1 (~15) - ILB Rolando McClain 6-4 256 Alabama 4.68 (junior)
Round 2 (~48) - WR Arrelious Benn 6-2 220 Illinois 4.50 (junior)
Round 3 (~80) - NT Lamarr Houston 6-2 300 Texas 4.93
Round 4 (~115) - OG John Jerry 6-5 350 Ole Miss 5.54
Round 6 (~180) - ILB Josh Hull, Penn State 6-3 240 4.73
(from Kansas City for Alleman and Ndukwe)
Round 6 (~181) - WR Seyi Ajirotutu 6-3 210 Fresno State 4.56
(from Washington for JT)
Round 6 (~189) - QB Joe Webb 6-4 220 UAB 4.67
Round 7 (~216) - WR Trindon Holliday, LSU 5-5 168 4.27
(from Kansas City for 2009 7th round pick)
Round 7 (~225) - OLB George Johnson 6-4 265 Rutgers 4.78
"Football is back!"
-Roger Goodell
-Left out the additional 6th and 7th round picks simply because the draft order has not sorted out quite yet, so do fish around for "with pick #243" seems a bit absurd.
-Imho, if Iupati is a 10yr starter type, we should pull the trigger and be done with our needs at Guard, granted it is not sexy pick however the Sparano Phins are predicated on a dominating offensive line.
-I really like Gilyard, to me with him Character meets talent and he is a natural fit for the phins.
-Davis is merely a Thomas like project, we already would have Iupati, but could use a Center/Guard who has athleticism.
-In this scenario, we draft a OLB to convert to ILB and take a large DE and convert them into a SOLB, Fletcher is merely the most likely prospect later in the draft (shined at a smaller, mtn west college, good size, decent quickness, not a huge market for his services).
-Roosevelt because imho we will be looking for a explosive do it all on Special Teams type of player this year.
It's said by scouts that Naaman Roosevelt was going up draft boards prior to being injured. He's not a bad player IMO. He runs better than his timed speed but I don't think he's a guy that will be something special at the next level. Roosevelt I've seen three times this year and while he has good hands, I haven't seen a lot of quality route running from him. A lot of fade, cross and go routes from him. I don't know how much level of competition is factored into his ability to stretch the field though. I've watched teams roll over a safety over the top of Roosevelt, i.e. against Bowling Green IIRC. To be completely honest though, I am a bigger fan of his teammate, Brett Hamlin, than him. Hamlin's got really good field awareness and can take shots across the middle but hang on. He's also got good hands. I like him as an UDFA, camp guy. He's not going to impress with his speed IMO but he's got pretty good route running from the slot. Kendric Hawkins, their DB, is talented; he's just often injured and needs to tackle in the open field better.
Also, Spikes is a nice prospect IMO. He's a guy you can slide out to the edge and use his quick first step against blockers. He destroyed Andre Smith last year and while Smith struggles with speed rushers, there wasn't only one play where Spikes dominated him. It was a few IIRC.
"padre31 wrote:
Imho, if Iupati is a 10yr starter type, we should pull the trigger and be done with our needs at Guard, granted it is not sexy pick however the Sparano Phins are predicated on a dominating offensive line.
I like your thinking in regards to Iupati. I really do. Very sound. Like I said I wouldn't hate the pick. However if we were in the war room together you and I would be arguing over which direction to go with that 1st round pick. :lol:
You've got me intrigued with this Roosevelt kid. Are you a Buffalo fan?
"Football is back!"
-Roger Goodell
"Big Red wrote:
I like your thinking in regards to Iupati. I really do. Very sound. Like I said I wouldn't hate the pick. However if we were in the war room together you and I would be arguing over which direction to go with that 1st round pick. :lol:
Problem is, HC Sparano would already be predisposed to taking a Guard..:pointlol:
You've got me intrigued with this Roosevelt kid. Are you a Buffalo fan?
Not much tbh about it, Phunwin was a Buffalo U fan and talked about them last year.
I'm much more enchanted with John Fletcher though, I like his metrics and love the fact he already plays special teams, he could make one heck of a SOLB/DE.
"padre31 wrote:
Problem is, HC Sparano would already be predisposed to taking a Guard..:pointlol:
Yeah but Parcells and Ireland prefer linebackers. :lol:
"padre31 wrote:
Not much tbh about it, Phunwin was a Buffalo U fan and talked about them last year.
I'm much more enchanted with John Fletcher though, I like his metrics and love the fact he already plays special teams, he could make one heck of a SOLB/DE.
I will check out Fletcher in the New Mexico Bowl. Thanks. :up:
"Football is back!"
-Roger Goodell
"Big Red wrote:
Yeah but Parcells and Ireland prefer linebackers. :lol:
I will check out Fletcher in the New Mexico Bowl. Thanks. :up:
Be cool to hear about Ryan Matthews as well.
"Big Red wrote:
Here's my current dream draft. Keep in mind its constantly changing.
Round 1 (~15) - ILB Rolando McClain 6-4 256 Alabama 4.68 (junior)
Round 2 (~48) - WR Arrelious Benn 6-2 220 Illinois 4.50 (junior)
Round 3 (~80) - NT Lamarr Houston 6-2 300 Texas 4.93
Round 4 (~115) - OG John Jerry 6-5 350 Ole Miss 5.54
Round 6 (~180) - ILB Josh Hull, Penn State 6-3 240 4.73
(from Kansas City for Alleman and Ndukwe)Round 6 (~181) - WR Seyi Ajirotutu 6-3 210 Fresno State 4.56
(from Washington for JT)Round 6 (~189) - QB Joe Webb 6-4 220 UAB 4.67
Round 7 (~216) - WR Trindon Holliday, LSU 5-5 168 4.27
(from Kansas City for 2009 7th round pick)Round 7 (~225) - OLB George Johnson 6-4 265 Rutgers 4.78
Jeeeez.
dream draft is right.
@Alf_Arteaga on Twitter
"Being a part of success is more important than being personally indispensable. .''...- Pat Riley
3 Yards per Carry on itunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/3-yards-per-carry-miami-dolphins/id1363764781?mt=2
3 Yards per Carry for Android:
https://threeyardspercarry.podbean.com/
I understand the premise and thought of going Lupati first, but, if Gresham is still there, I don't see us looking past him...no-how, no-way.
I could then see us going Guard second or third and then nothing but linebackers the rest of the way.....
Pretty solid throughout Padre, but as you stated, lots of things will change before we actually do draft.
I'll be royally pissed if we take a G if a good LB or WR is there.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.
I like Lupati a lot, but we're in the top five in every major offensive line category including sacks allowed, highest % of blocks won...we are already one of the most dominating OL's in the league. While I agree solidifying the OL is important because teams like the Jets and Pats are going to address their DL's, the holes at WR, ILB, and TE are far and away much more pressing. I wouldnt complain about the Lupati pick because frankly the dude is strong as an ox but I would be concerned about ignoring more pressing needs and having to sit through another year like this year next year, where the holes are obvious and they get taken advantage of weekly and we are fighting against our own inabilities to cover up those holes.
At this early stage I would guess that the most likely first round pick based on needs and likely available players and assuming a pick in the 20s or later is Gresham.

"Boik14 wrote:
I like Lupati a lot, but we're in the top five in every major offensive line category including sacks allowed, highest % of blocks won...we are already one of the most dominating OL's in the league. While I agree solidifying the OL is important because teams like the Jets and Pats are going to address their DL's, the holes at WR, ILB, and TE are far and away much more pressing. I wouldnt complain about the Lupati pick because frankly the dude is strong as an ox but I would be concerned about ignoring more pressing needs and having to sit through another year like this year next year, where the holes are obvious and they get taken advantage of weekly and we are fighting against our own inabilities to cover up those holes.
Well, I thought about that, not to defend a tongue in cheek mock draft, however a G like Iupati would be likely to start Game 1, especially if Smiley's shoulder is just worn out.
A rook Wr however, unless they were just spectacular, would be extremely unlikely to start "and" we just began throwing the ball seriously, after Ronnie B went out the passing offense has ticked up, surely they will draw some evaluations off of the second half of the season performances?
Now the next scenario will be (imho) the far more likely one, we keep the defense more or less intact, but add offensive playmakers and upgrades.
"rafael wrote:
At this early stage I would guess that the most likely first round pick based on needs and likely available players and assuming a pick in the 20s or later is Gresham.
I believe Brandon Spikes, Sean Weatherspoon, Jerry Hughes, Morgan Burnett, Dan Williams, Terrence Cody, Mardy Gilyard, Arrelious Benn, and Golden Tate are all more likely than Gresham. Maybe even Jeremy Williams, Derrick Morgan, and Jason Pierre-Paul too.
Fasano, Haynos, and Sperry are well above average. Can you say the same for our inside linebackers, wideout corps, Gibril Wilson, or our aging veterans at outside linebacker and nose tackle?
"Football is back!"
-Roger Goodell
"Section126 wrote:
Jeeeez.
dream draft is right.
Care to elaborate?
"Football is back!"
-Roger Goodell
"Big Red wrote:
I believe Brandon Spikes, Sean Weatherspoon, Jerry Hughes, Morgan Burnett, Dan Williams, Terrence Cody, Mardy Gilyard, Arrelious Benn, and Golden Tate are all more likely than Gresham. Maybe even Jeremy Williams, Derrick Morgan, and Jason Pierre-Paul too.
Fasano, Haynos, and Sperry are well above average. Can you say the same for our inside linebackers, wideout corps, Gibril Wilson, or our aging veterans at outside linebacker and nose tackle?
Keep JP, Wake starts on the Strongside over JT who takes over 3rd down passrushing duties, pick up a ILB or move Torbor into a starting role, Soliai is the NT in 2010.
Haynos and Sperry are developmental types BR, Fasano was a disappointment this year.
Gibril isn't going anywhere BR, too much cash invested in him, that is why I really could see the Defense standing pat with adding better quality depth, and we go offense in a big way in Draft 2010.
"padre31 wrote:
Well, I thought about that, not to defend a tongue in cheek mock draft, however a G like Iupati would be likely to start Game 1, especially if Smiley's shoulder is just worn out.
A rook Wr however, unless they were just spectacular, would be extremely unlikely to start "and" we just began throwing the ball seriously, after Ronnie B went out the passing offense has ticked up, surely they will draw some evaluations off of the second half of the season performances?
Now the next scenario will be (imho) the far more likely one, we keep the defense more or less intact, but add offensive playmakers and upgrades.
Uhhh have you seen our receivers? Any with receiver with moderate polish and above average talent would be starting for us imo. Golden Tate or Dez Bryant would be starting from practice one. Briscoe, Benn, Alexander would be starting by the first preseason game. Bess + one of them would be your likely starters.
I dont think smiley's shoulder is bad enough to get him cut but I think we will see another OL pick somewhere in there. Just not round one. :up:
