Laremy Tunsil & Stills Traded in Monster Deal!

106 replies

ZigsZigsForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 06:38 PM

That is hard to turn down and understand why they did it. I will miss LT until the 2020 draft but not Stills. He's just ok in my book but great for the community.

We now have a Turnstiles at 3 OLine positions. Will we see a lot of screens this year? haha

Anyone buying tickets to the 2020 Vegas draft now?

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 06:54 PM

"mlb1399 wrote:

I get that but if you can’t build around a 25/26 year old LT, what can you build around?

Tua.

The point isn't that we couldn't build around Tunsil, but that we were offered a deal that just doesn't come along very often. It's a risk, but sometimes you take that risk.

If we end up with a franchise QB and a league average LT both on 5 year rookie deals? That's better than just Tunsil every day of the week, and doesn't even take into account the remainder of the picks.

RevRickRevRickSupporter
Aug 31, 2019, 06:57 PM

I hope the mind behind this is in a body who reminds me of the man named glass.. who had two ***** of brass. We really don't need much more stormy weather after this latest announcement though. Hang on, guys. This is going to be a lot more than a bumpy ride, it seems, and I am getting to old for this...........

I hope the new personnel team has the brains of Bobby Beathard (sp?)


We are real sailormen, the destroyermen of the fleet.
We can follow the tracks and ride the backs of the dolphins.
We will be where the action is in every situation.
When things are getting too rough for anyone else,
they're getting just right for us!

IrishmanIrishmanForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 06:58 PM

This is a very good deal for the Dolphins!

We get rid of one player who we were going to unload anyway. Let's assume the 2nd round draft pick was for him. This means we got 2, first round draft picks for Tunsil. This is a good trade too.

The only downside for this year is reduced capability at left tackle. We have made some upgrades this season on defense and we now have two QB's that can play well. Many of our injured players are back or just about to get back on the field. Overall, IMO, we are a better team right now then we were a year ago.

We have also improved our salary situation with this trade. In return we will have 2 first round draft picks and 2 second round draft picks next year. We will also have 2 first round draft picks in 2021. Of course this includes the draft picks we would normally have, but the ability to focus on players when you have two draft picks in a round should not be under estimated.

This is EXACTLY the performance we should expect from an effective front office. They have addressed the team we have today as best they could in this years draft and trades. They have set us up to be much, much better next year after the draft and they have set us up to be much, much better in 2021 after the draft.

I am happier now with our new front office and coaching staff then I was at the beginning of this season. I realize there will be a lot of lemming juice and lemming droppings concerning this trade, but let's wait until the next draft and see how these same lemmings respond to the "draft gold" we are in a position to use.

My prediction right now is that they will be complaining about who we pick. You just can't please some people.

RevRickRevRickSupporter
Aug 31, 2019, 07:07 PM


There going to need one of these to protect whoever has the gonads to line up behind center!


We are real sailormen, the destroyermen of the fleet.
We can follow the tracks and ride the backs of the dolphins.
We will be where the action is in every situation.
When things are getting too rough for anyone else,
they're getting just right for us!

mlb1399mlb1399Forum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 07:19 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Tua.

The point isn't that we couldn't build around Tunsil, but that we were offered a deal that just doesn't come along very often. It's a risk, but sometimes you take that risk.

If we end up with a franchise QB and a league average LT both on 5 year rookie deals? That's better than just Tunsil every day of the week, and doesn't even take into account the remainder of the picks.

I’m not a fan of Tua and even if he is the real deal, who’s gonna block for him? He won’t be great if he’s running for his life.

But I get your point. They rolled the dice. If they build a championship team, I’ll eat crow. It’s hard to believe that after 20 years of irrelevance though.

Not So FastNot So FastForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 07:22 PM

The tank is official. I wonder who will be picked up to play LT.

DOdolfan40Forum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 07:35 PM

I would like Trent Williams for a 3rd Round pick :)

TItirty8Forum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 07:37 PM

"Now I can scream that we made it!" -Post Malone

I wanna hug all you guys!

I think we outright just got the first pick in the draft!

There is no LT worth what we just got. Stills was gonna get cut anyway. We fleeced the Texans.

If we could just get a little luck and the Texans vastly underperform next year, it would the break that this franchise has needed for years.

We can finally rebuild the right way.

Guys, there is real hope!

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 07:37 PM

Hopefully Miami can keep on turning the extra picks into more extra picks

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
Aug 31, 2019, 07:40 PM

Here is what I have so far. Note that I didn't remove a 4th or the 7th's as we don't know which picks yet and the conditional nature of the Boehm trade.

Dolphins 2020 draft picks:
1st: Own, Texans
2nd: Own, Saints
3rd: Own, projected compensatory pick
4th: Own, Titans (one of the 4's traded to Houston in Tunsil trade)
5th: Projected compensatory pick
6th: Own, Cowboys
7th: Own, Chiefs (One or both 7th's in Boehm/Vikings trade for OL.)

2021:

1st: Own, Texans
2nd: Own, Texans
3rd: Own
4th: Own
5th: Own
6th: (traded to Texans in Tunsil deal)
7th: Own

(18 total picks depending on the conditional nature of Boehm. I'm thinking it's a swap of 7's now with a playing time incentive for a 6th)

Deus ex dolphinDeus ex dolphinForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 07:55 PM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

We got two first round picks and a second rounder. We won this trade big time

Only, ONLY if those picks aren't wasted on poor-average players. What are the odds we find a LT 80% as good as Tunsil though? Well, I guess this trade also increases the value of the Dolphins picks in 2020 as 3-4 wins seems like the ceiling now.

Letting elite talent go, especially when we got a huge break in him falling to us in the first place, feels like a bad idea.

A terrible play call, terribly executed.

FinatikFinatikStaff
Aug 31, 2019, 07:55 PM

With everything that happened with Tunsil he may not have had good feelings for this regime if he stayed. Hate to see Tunsil go but you have to take the QB level trade for picks.

And to get rid of that flag hating Stills and his salary is just icing on the cake. Let’s see how his BS plays in Texas where they’re all about god, flag and country.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

FinatikFinatikStaff
Aug 31, 2019, 07:59 PM

"Deus ex dolphin wrote:

Only, ONLY if those picks aren't wasted on poor-average players. What are the odds we find a LT 80% as good as Tunsil though? Well, I guess this trade also increases the value of the Dolphins picks in 2020 as 3-4 wins seems like the ceiling now.

Letting elite talent go, especially when we got a huge break in him falling to us in the first place, feels like a bad idea.

They only got 2 - 1st rounders for Mack and he was Best in Class. So how can you pass that up for a rebuilding team?

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

PandarillaPandarillaForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 08:13 PM

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 08:17 PM

"Deus ex dolphin wrote:

Only, ONLY if those picks aren't wasted on poor-average players. What are the odds we find a LT 80% as good as Tunsil though? Well, I guess this trade also increases the value of the Dolphins picks in 2020 as 3-4 wins seems like the ceiling now.

Letting elite talent go, especially when we got a huge break in him falling to us in the first place, feels like a bad idea.

Honestly, probably pretty decent odds. Linemen are generally regarded as safe picks. Also a chance we have a developmental guy like Prince maybe take a step.

That's not to say it's not a gamble, but you don't make an omelette without cracking some eggs.

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 08:19 PM

I would be much more excited about this if I had ANY faith that with all these picks we would end up with an above average offensive line and a franchise qb. They have shown a complete inability to evaluate offensive linemen and completely undervalue the position group as a whole. Only reason we had Tunsil to begin with is he fell into our lap.

On paper its in our favor but I seriously doubt they will execute this plan without completely screwing it up.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 08:26 PM

"Silverphin wrote:

Well, Texans just won the AFC South.

Not necessarily. Saxsonville is back! Their defense looks phenomenal.

In fact, and you’re hearing it first from me...Jacksonville is my pick to go to the dance this year

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

FinatikFinatikStaff
Aug 31, 2019, 08:30 PM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

Not necessarily. Saxsonville is back! Their defense looks phenomenal.

In fact, and you’re hearing it first from me...Jacksonville is my pick to go to the dance this year

We’re on the Houston disintegrate bandwagon.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 08:43 PM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

Not necessarily. Saxsonville is back! Their defense looks phenomenal.

In fact, and you’re hearing it first from me...Jacksonville is my pick to go to the dance this year

It wouldn't be surprising - none of the teams in that division are flat out BAD. The Titans are probably a .500ish team. The Colts lost Luck which is a monstrous loss ... but it's a MUCH better team than when Manning went down overall, also probably a .500ish unit now. JVille has a chance to be good.

The Texans have some really good pieces, but they also have some severe weaknesses, and while I'm a Watson believer, Tunsil alone isn't a fix for their line.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 08:58 PM

Holy s--t!!! I just got home from work and saw this. I don't know what to feel. I really really like Tunsil. He was one of, if not our best player on the team. He is a stud. f---!! I wish him well.

On one hand, this is kind of what NE does. They usually don't pay massive contracts for most players as they must feel that no player is more important than the coaching and the system. I don't know what to feel right now. I feel lost. I need a hug........

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 09:02 PM

"Sceeto wrote:

Holy s--t!!! I just got home from work and saw this. I don't know what to feel. I really really like Tunsil. He was one of, if not our best player on the team. He is a stud. f---!! I wish him well.

On one hand, this is kind of what NE does. They usually don't pay massive contracts for most players as they must feel that no player is more important than the coaching and the system. I don't know what to feel right now. I feel lost. I need a hug........

Im saving any feeling for immediately after the 2020 draft and then for the 2020 season. :bighug:

It'll be a make or break time for Grier and Flores.

As long as we don't go 0-16 I don't really care about this season. Just win one early.

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 09:03 PM

If you can't see the above Tweet here's the deal:

Official terms of now completed trade:

Houston receives:
T Laremy Tunsil
WR Kenny Stills
2020 4th round pick
2021 6th round pick

Miami receives:
2020 1st round pick
2021 1st round pick
2021 2nd round pick
T Julien Davenport
CB Johnson Bademosi


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 09:05 PM

Davenport so far has been horrible. Anyone know anything about Bademosi?

Couldn't we just have had more picks? :D


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2019, 09:19 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Im saving any feeling for immediately after the 2020 draft and then for the 2020 season. :bighug:

It'll be a make or break time for Grier and Flores.

As long as we don't go 0-16 I don't really care about this season. Just win one early.

Ha! Thanks, dude. I hear ya'.