1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lower Body Program?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by slickj101, Jan 19, 2009.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I used to run a lot and just mix in a few other simple exercises to work my legs. But now it's January in NY and needless to say, my *** is not running out in -5 weather.

Does anyone have a good program to build mass for you legs? I have a bunch of weights, but no squat rack. :pity:

2. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I had a great lower body workout, but Pagan's company installed a filter on his computer so the LL has been severely compromised and my workout set back. :pity:

Boik14 and slickj101 like this.
  3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    It might be good for you though. Now your forearms may start to look even again.

Boik14 and opfinistic like this.
  4. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    :shifty:

Every cloud does have a silver lining!

5. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    What kind of weights do you have?? Deadlifts are a great overall lower-body exercise, and they will put some mass on your legs.

Other than that, it really depends on what you have available. If you have stairs indoors (that no one uses frequently:wink2:) at your apt complex, carrying a heavy sandbag or giant jug of water will get your legs burning in a hurry. Plus, with the sandbag, you can chuck it down pretty safely without it damaging the stairs or yourself.:up:

Anyway, lemme know what you got and I'll see what I can come up with.:knucks:

slickj101 likes this.
  6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Some moderately heavy dumbells, a curl bar, exercise ball, straight bar, and about 120lbs in plates. O yea I have indoor stairs too.

If I needed more plates or heavier dumbells I could always lift at my dads house.

7. JCowScot

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    OK, so what do you mean by 'moderately heavy'??:shifty: 15, 20lbs? A 25 in each hand would work just fine, I think. Skip every other step from the bottom to the top and go deliberately(ie- controlled and not too fast or too slow). Do that 3 times. *Depending on the number of flights, you may have to adjust this number...use your body's feedback as a gauge. The last couple steps should be hard as balls to complete.* Then, the last time, when you get to the top- do calf raises on the lip of the top step. 2 sets of 20.

You could then switch that up w/ wall squats- only stack some of the plates on top of your thighs (a folded up towel makes a nice pad:up:). This will keep your form good as well as give you a whale of a burn. 2 sets of 2.5 minutes.

Alternate those about every 4 days or so. If you want to move the workload up a bit, you can, but I started on the 'moderately' low end.:tongue2:

If neither of these do it for you, I have a couple of other ideas, but lets go with these first.:hi5:

slickj101 likes this.
  8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Yea I have all those different weights (15-25).

How would I stack the plates on my thighs for those squats though? Or how would I keep them there when I extended my legs fully?

gracias.

9. JCowScot

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    With what I term "wall squats", it's a static position. So, make your thighs like a table with your back against a wall and drop (not literally) a plate on. Like if you were sitting down in a chair and put something in your lap, but there's no chair.:wink2:

If you want, you could always just hold some dumbells in your hands and rest them on your thighs or hold them at your side. Same difference- you're using leverage and gravity to induce a higher force than normal on your body's muscles, thereby causing them to adapt and grow.

Let me know how things go- I enjoy hearing about the pain I cause others.:pointlol:

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Ah ok. I thought I was still doing the motion of a squat so I was :confused:

Me too lol I'm glad to see the Iron Gym is making it painful for others to put on deodorant in the morning.

JCowScot likes this.
  11. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    You can also do free weight squats which will challenge your balance and concentration as well as give you a good workout. Lean against a wall, *preferably one not made of cheap plasterboard, grab a free weight in each hand and hold them like you would when you do shoulder presses. The weights should be slightly above your head and your arms at a 90 degree angle. Squat down like you normally would, leaning against the wall for balance. Then cuss me real loud when youre doing them and your thighs burn like fire.

slickj101 likes this.
  12. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    considering your set up, do heavy lunges. lunges will destroy your legs.

JCowScot likes this.
  13. JCowScot

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    That was going to be my alternate to the stairs.:up:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Tried that out ton (with the stairs). Im about to go shovel snow so that should do it.

15. JCowScot

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    Shoveling snow is a beast of a workout...I'm glad I don't have to. Heck, I've never even been AROUND snow, much less had to shovel it.:tongue2: Oh, the pain of living in FL....

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Ya its a royal pain in the ***, def makes my back a little sore the next day.

The leg routine was good. The top of my calves is the only thing that Im really feeling today. Those static squats were the most difficult part. The other stuff was pretty easy.

JCowScot likes this.
  17. JCowScot

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    If it was too easy, then take it out. The static squats and the calf raises should be enough to stimulate growth anyway. If you want to try it, take a heavy dumbell in each hand and try super slow lunges- 10sec positive and 10 sec negative. One set of 15-20 should do it, as your legs are going to be fried at this point anyway (depending on which exercise you do first).:lol: Let us know how that works for ya.

Thanks for the feedback! :up: