Marvel Phases 2 & 3 Discussion

719 replies

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
May 9, 2016, 01:07 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

To be honest I felt the movie should have been called Marvel Civil War.

Well, the second Cap movie was basically a larger Marvel movie too. Certainly with huge ramifications on the MCU that Iron Man 2 & 3 and the Thor movies don't have. I'd read multiple places that they chose to go with it the way that they did in part due to demands from Robert Downy Jr as well, as he's unlikely to make another Iron Man feature and this is him working his way to the end of the character overall.

Zeke0123Zeke0123Forum Veteran
May 9, 2016, 01:13 PM

Loved Civil War it did what marvel movies always do well (action) I also enjoyed the drama for once and seeing the characters in a less "heroic" and more emotional light.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
May 9, 2016, 01:29 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Well, the second Cap movie was basically a larger Marvel movie too. Certainly with huge ramifications on the MCU that Iron Man 2 & 3 and the Thor movies don't have. I'd read multiple places that they chose to go with it the way that they did in part due to demands from Robert Downy Jr as well, as he's unlikely to make another Iron Man feature and this is him working his way to the end of the character overall.

The 2nd Cap movie did have huge ramifications on the MCU, however most of the movie was from Cap's perspective.

Civil War had a lot more scenes where Cap wasn't the one who drove the plot.

Another difference is that in the 2nd Cap movie, Cap went through an arc. It was his story on how his values work with the modern world. Cap III, Ironman, Black Panther, Winter Soilder, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Vision and even Spider-Man had a bigger story arc than Cap. He was pretty much the same person through the beginning of the movie as he was in the end.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
May 9, 2016, 01:41 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

The 2nd Cap movie did have huge ramifications on the MCU, however most of the movie was from Cap's perspective.

Civil War had a lot more scenes where Cap wasn't the one who drove the plot.

Another difference is that in the 2nd Cap movie, Cap went through an arc. It was his story on how his values work with the modern world. Cap III, Ironman, Black Panther, Winter Soilder, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Vision and even Spider-Man had a bigger story arc than Cap. He was pretty much the same person through the beginning of the movie as he was in the end.

All good points.

I suppose one way to look at it would be that almost everyone else had their own viewpoint evolve and change in the film except for Steve, who held tight to his own views and values in the face of everything else.

Certainly Tony, compared to his traditional views. Black Panther obviously over the course of this film. Natasha to a degree, at least being open to seeing other sides. Vision and Wanda are outsiders who were new to the group and seemed to be taking everything else in and maybe changing where they are. Sam is loyal to Steve, and Roadie is loyal to Tony.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 11, 2016, 12:06 AM

One of my all time favorite movies.

Both Iron Man and Cap have evolved over the course of the movies. In fact, they've literally swapped ideologies/sides. Cap went from following the rules to anti establishment while IM went from rogue to company man.

The layers in this movie will be discovered for a long time. I don't think people realize just how rich & dense it was.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
May 11, 2016, 09:47 AM

The ideologies is what made the Cap movie most interesting to me. I'm sure I've would have seen it regardless for the big fights, but the ideologies is what I talked about both before and after the movie. My first question to my son (15 y/o) was "who do you think was right?".

JDelenneJDelenneSupporter
May 11, 2016, 12:45 PM

"rafael wrote:

"who do you think was right?".

#teamcap

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
May 11, 2016, 02:21 PM

"JDelenne wrote:

#teamcap

That was my conclusion as well.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
May 13, 2016, 08:29 AM

Sadly, Agent Carter was officially cancelled by ABC this week. I enjoyed it while we had it though, and loved that there were things in Civil War that I understood immedately, or otherwise appreciated probably more, because I watched the show.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
May 13, 2016, 11:04 AM

going to see it tomorrow night in IMAX.
that's a bummer about Agent Carter. Although, my marriage will be better if I'm not constantly slobbering over constantly slobbering over Hayley Attwell when I watch it with my wife

testing

Zeke0123Zeke0123Forum Veteran
May 14, 2016, 05:08 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

going to see it tomorrow night in IMAX.
that's a bummer about Agent Carter. Although, my marriage will be better if I'm not constantly slobbering over constantly slobbering over Hayley Attwell when I watch it with my wife

that my friend is a LOT of slobber.

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
May 14, 2016, 09:30 PM

Saw it today. I liked it. I did enjoy the ending. I suspected that Iron Man was going to team up with Cap and Bucky to defeat the big bad and was pleasantly surprised when they didn't go the cliche and boring/predictable route. Having said that, I have to echo what others have said. This wasn't a Captain America film. It was Avengers lite. Which didn't turn out to be a bad thing, as Spider-man and Ant-man had some cool appearances and the overall story flowed well. I still haven't seen Ant-Man yet, but I'm more interested in doing so now than before. Anyway, does Captain America have NO good comic storylines? I ask only because, these last two sequels have relied too heavily on the Avenger's. And it seems a shame, as Captain America, should/could seemingly have more interesting stories than most without the aid of side characters stealing his show. What's the point of having solo films for any of these characters if they're all just going to appear in each others movies? This movie, more than anything, makes me wish Marvel could get its X-men property back too. With the way Marvel is doing team up films, they would undoubtedly make the best X-men flick to date. And I like Fox's X-men series too, so it's not a slight on them. Marvel just has its **** together.

Side note, Warner Bros must be embarrassed with Batman v. Superman. They let Zach Snyder completely **** up, what should of been the definitive comic book film of the year. Marvel has a big head start in the "Superhero team up" genre certainly, but Marvel looks untouchable at this point. Someone over at WB needs to organize the Justice League/DC universe before they release another **** show like BvS and ruin any chances of even competing. Step one in the right direction involves firing everyone involved in BvS story.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 14, 2016, 09:54 PM

"Clark Kent wrote:

Saw it today. I liked it. I did enjoy the ending. I suspected that Iron Man was going to team up with Cap and Bucky to defeat the big bad and was pleasantly surprised when they didn't go the cliche and boring/predictable route. Having said that, I have to echo what others have said. This wasn't a Captain America film. It was Avengers lite. Which didn't turn out to be a bad thing, as Spider-man and Ant-man had some cool appearances and the overall story flowed well. I still haven't seen Ant-Man yet, but I'm more interested in doing so now than before. Anyway, does Captain America have NO good comic storylines? I ask only because, these last two sequels have relied too heavily on the Avenger's. And it seems a shame, as Captain America, should/could seemingly have more interesting stories than most without the aid of side characters stealing his show. What's the point of having solo films for any of these characters if they're all just going to appear in each others movies? This movie, more than anything, makes me wish Marvel could get its X-men property back too. With the way Marvel is doing team up films, they would undoubtedly make the best X-men flick to date. And I like Fox's X-men series too, so it's not a slight on them. Marvel just has its **** together.

Side note, Warner Bros must be embarrassed with Batman v. Superman. They let Zach Snyder completely **** up, what should of been the definitive comic book film of the year. Marvel has a big head start in the "Superhero team up" genre certainly, but Marvel looks untouchable at this point. Someone over at WB needs to organize the Justice League/DC universe before they release another **** show like BvS and ruin any chances of even competing. Step one in the right direction involves firing everyone involved in BvS story.

The problem with Cap is the problem with SuperMan....there's not a lot of depth to them as characters...UNLESS you pit them against other heroes or the government. By doing that, you've ensured that these characters that are built on a flawless ideal, can now have real conflict.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
May 20, 2016, 03:58 PM

Major cast additions to Thor: Ragnarock.

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/thor-ragnarok-jeff-goldblum-karl-urban/

Jeff Goldbloom, Karl Urban, Cate Blanchett, and Tessa Thompson (whom I'm not familar with) added. Thats a lot of firepower to the MCU.

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
May 20, 2016, 05:26 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Major cast additions to Thor: Ragnarock.

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/thor-ragnarok-jeff-goldblum-karl-urban/

Jeff Goldbloom, Karl Urban, Cate Blanchett, and Tessa Thompson (whom I'm not familar with) added. Thats a lot of firepower to the MCU.

She was Creed's girlfriend. She also got her start on the most underrated tv show of all time (IMHO) Veronica Mars

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
May 20, 2016, 05:35 PM

"rafael wrote:

The ideologies is what made the Cap movie most interesting to me. I'm sure I've would have seen it regardless for the big fights, but the ideologies is what I talked about both before and after the movie. My first question to my son (15 y/o) was "who do you think was right?".

Well, in a any kind of real world state, Cap was completely, ridiculously wrong. We train our police and military and they have to abide certain rules and face consequences if they mess up (regardless of their intentions). The entire makeup of the Avengers makes no sense in any real world context.

How did Scarlett Witch even clear immigration let alone become essentially a celebrity who everyone knows?

But, in Marvel world Cap is right because he's Cap. We know he is a hero with pure motives and that he is far more trustworthy than the bureaucracies around him. He did after all manage to budge Moljilnir in Ultron. Also, the examples of the terror caused by the Avengers by Ross were ridiculous.

For the Chitauri invasion and the hellicarier business from Winter Soldier, the other options were what, exactly? Let Loki take over the world? Let Hydra murder millions?

They had a point on Ultron, but same thing, once he was out there what else could've been done?

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
May 20, 2016, 05:47 PM

"Fin D wrote:

The problem with Cap is the problem with SuperMan....there's not a lot of depth to them as characters...UNLESS you pit them against other heroes or the government. By doing that, you've ensured that these characters that are built on a flawless ideal, can now have real conflict.

Disagree on both Cap and Superman.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
May 20, 2016, 05:51 PM

"Clark Kent wrote:

Saw it today. I liked it. I did enjoy the ending. I suspected that Iron Man was going to team up with Cap and Bucky to defeat the big bad and was pleasantly surprised when they didn't go the cliche and boring/predictable route. Having said that, I have to echo what others have said. This wasn't a Captain America film. It was Avengers lite. Which didn't turn out to be a bad thing, as Spider-man and Ant-man had some cool appearances and the overall story flowed well. I still haven't seen Ant-Man yet, but I'm more interested in doing so now than before. Anyway, does Captain America have NO good comic storylines? I ask only because, these last two sequels have relied too heavily on the Avenger's. And it seems a shame, as Captain America, should/could seemingly have more interesting stories than most without the aid of side characters stealing his show. What's the point of having solo films for any of these characters if they're all just going to appear in each others movies? This movie, more than anything, makes me wish Marvel could get its X-men property back too. With the way Marvel is doing team up films, they would undoubtedly make the best X-men flick to date. And I like Fox's X-men series too, so it's not a slight on them. Marvel just has its **** together.

Side note, Warner Bros must be embarrassed with Batman v. Superman. They let Zach Snyder completely **** up, what should of been the definitive comic book film of the year. Marvel has a big head start in the "Superhero team up" genre certainly, but Marvel looks untouchable at this point. Someone over at WB needs to organize the Justice League/DC universe before they release another **** show like BvS and ruin any chances of even competing. Step one in the right direction involves firing everyone involved in BvS story.

The point is because it is awesome!

Also, Winter Soilder didn't have a lot of Avengers in it. Captain America has worked with S.H.I.E.L.D. in the comics. Marvel Comics is all connected. Most of the characters live in or around New York City.

Black Widow is a very minor Marvel Character. She is just much bigger in the MCU.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jun 3, 2016, 04:48 PM

An actress named Brie Larson is in talks to play Captain Marvel in the self titled movie in 2018, and possibly in other Marvel projects before that. I know very little about her, and the only thing I've seen her in is a very minor role on the show Community. She's apparently been acting in Hollywood since she was very young though, and has a long resume.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jun 3, 2016, 07:04 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

An actress named Brie Larson is in talks to play Captain Marvel in the self titled movie in 2018, and possibly in other Marvel projects before that. I know very little about her, and the only thing I've seen her in is a very minor role on the show Community. She's apparently been acting in Hollywood since she was very young though, and has a long resume.

She just won an oscar for "Room", and she actually deserved it.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jun 3, 2016, 10:17 PM

"Fin D wrote:

She just won an oscar for "Room", and she actually deserved it.

OK, not my thing. Skipped the Oscars this year too.

Not So FastNot So FastForum Veteran
Jun 3, 2016, 11:04 PM

She was also in Scott Pilgrim, which also had Chris Evans.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jun 4, 2016, 01:17 PM

"Not So Fast wrote:

She was also in Scott Pilgrim, which also had Chris Evans.

I wanted to see that when it came out, but never got around to it. Might catch it if I ever see it on TV.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jun 4, 2016, 02:14 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I wanted to see that when it came out, but never got around to it. Might catch it if I ever see it on TV.

Rent the movie. It is a fun movie, especially if you like video games.

I saw it twice in theatres, so I was about half of its gross.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jun 4, 2016, 06:52 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Rent the movie. It is a fun movie, especially if you like video games.

I saw it twice in theatres, so I was about half of its gross.

LOL, are there still video rental stores any more? Not near me, and Red Box only has newer movies usually. Can't get broadband to do something like Netflix, sadly.