[Merged] Alex Smith visiting Dolphins today...
248 replies
Smith did have crappy receivers his whole tenure, but he always had a running game and one hell of a TE. Here he'll have a crappy receiving core, here for a game gone for 4 Fasano and an above avg. running game. I don't smell success.
I don't know whether to be happy we have 2 options of worried we will go with Smith over Flynn :unsure:
I like Smith. He's big, athletic and has a stronger arm than most people give him credit for. He had injuries and lots of bad coaching to start his career. He also plays well late in games.
I would take Alex Smith over Matt Flynn any day. And I dont understand those of you who wouldnt. Matt Flynn has played two games in the NFL. What are you all basing your wants for him on? He's Short, he has a weak arm and has no experience. Smith is tall has a strong arm and has experience and led the 49'ers to the NFC championship last year. He had a really good year last year. I think he finally turned the corner and he is a west coast offense guy. Flynn is exactly what he is. A 7th round selection and career back up. I would be willing to bet that Flynn would have a tough time beating out Matt Moore. If they can get Smith, they should grab him. Flynn is not the answer.
I start to think that Philbin is not sure what he wants or which direction to take and Ireland love to swim in confusion creating more setbacks, but if Philbin really wants Flynn and Ireland for some reason wants to play tough, taking chances of losing Flynn, I would not be surprise if Philbin quits, seems drastic, but possible in light of what transpire since Ireland is the GM.JMO
"canesz06 wrote:
I would take Alex Smith over Matt Flynn any day. And I dont understand those of you who wouldnt. Matt Flynn has played two games in the NFL. What are you all basing your wants for him on? He's Short, he has a weak arm and has no experience. Smith is tall has a strong arm and has experience and led the 49'ers to the NFC championship last year. He had a really good year last year. I think he finally turned the corner and he is a west coast offense guy. Flynn is exactly what he is. A 7th round selection and career back up. I would be willing to bet that Flynn would have a tough time beating out Matt Moore. If they can get Smith, they should grab him. Flynn is not the answer.
Matt Moore is better then Alex Smith period. Harbaugh bent over backwards making him a caretaker who barely threw for 3000 yards.
Intersting stat. Smith's 6 fourth quarter comebacks last year are tied for third place all time with Marino(1992), Elway(1985) and Manning (1999).
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_single_season.htm
He also had 17 tds to 5 ints last year with a QB rating above 90.
"first&goal wrote:
I start to think that Philbin is not sure what he wants or which direction to take and Ireland love to swim in confusion creating more setbacks, but if Philbin really wants Flynn and Ireland for some reason wants to play tough, taking chances of losing Flynn, I would not be surprise if Philbin quits, seems drastic, but possible in light of what transpire since Ireland is the GM.JMO
Philbin isn't going to quit. Our organization isnt THAT bad.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
I don't think bringing Alex in is a bad thing. It provides us leverage and options. No ones beating the door down for Matt Flynn so I don't think this will cost us the signing if we decide to go that way. Alex may indeed be a QB that finally gets it and is taking the next step in his QB Play. He was a first rd QB and has starting/playoff experience. I also think he is the kind of guy, based on his interviews, that can lead a team. They are determined to fix the QB position this year and exploring all the options seems diligent to me.
Eternal Optimist. I thank God for the good things in my life. My wife, My Family, and the Miami Dolphins:up:


With some here worried about Flynn being paid to much, the team (Ireland) addresses that by adding Smith to the mix to show they won't be held captive; A good move imo. The worried then state they are worried that we will lose out on everybody.
My question is why not look at this as the glass being half full rather than half empty? We get Flynn at our price, is that so bad? You know Flynn doesn't have 4 or 5 teams lining up for his services and with Smith in a likewise boat its a good play IMO.

This is the only thing I’ve learned: There’s only us. There’s no them. Despots and authoritarians need to make a “them” to have a straw man whom you are against. If you need to make an enemy of “them,” you’ve lost the spirit of us. - Ken Burns of PBS

"first&goal wrote:
I start to think that Philbin is not sure what he wants or which direction to take and Ireland love to swim in confusion creating more setbacks, but if Philbin really wants Flynn and Ireland for some reason wants to play tough, taking chances of losing Flynn, I would not be surprise if Philbin quits, seems drastic, but possible in light of what transpire since Ireland is the GM.JMO
Wait a second. You really think this is a possibility? Philbin is going to quit if they don't sign Flynn? No offense, but I think there's a better chance that I get signed to play QB next year than there is of that happening.
I think some of you need to take a deep breath. Yes, this off-season has been frustrating so far. The fact of the matter, as far as Flynn goes, is this though. NOBODY is throwing a huge contract at this guy. Rightfully so. Why should we offer him a 6 year $70M deal when nobody else is? My opinion on Flynn is that deep down he wants to play for Philbin, and vice versa. I do believe it will get done, too.
I think bringing in Smith for a visit is smart. If things are moving slowly with Flynn contract-wise, it's smart to show him and his agent that we are prepared to go in a different direction. Leverage. This team has many holes to fill. They can't afford to overpay for a 7th round QB with 2 career starts under his belt, no matter how great he looked in those games.
"VanDolPhan wrote:
Matt Moore is better then Alex Smith period. Harbaugh bent over backwards making him a caretaker who barely threw for 3000 yards.
I see. Yeah, youre right. Why would we want a qb who threw for over 3,000 yards 17 tds and only 5 ints and had a 90 qb rating? Not to mention led his team to a 13-3 record and the nfc championship game after two awesome drives late in the 4th quarter to beat the Saints. He's clearly horrible. Lets get Mat Flynn who has played in two meaningless games at the end of the season.
"canesz06 wrote:
I see. Yeah, youre right. Why would we want a qb who threw for over 3,000 yards 17 tds and only 5 ints and had a 90 qb rating? Not to mention led his team to a 13-3 record and the nfc championship game after two awesome drives late in the 4th quarter to beat the Saints. He's clearly horrible. Lets get Mat Flynn who has played in two meaningless games at the end of the season.
Smith was a caretaker. He took 44 sacks. FOURTY-FOUR. The 5 INT are just a product of him being instructed by Harbaugh to never take any chances.
My opinion was based to the fact that IF Philbin really wants Flynn and for some reason Jeff takes a different direction, this can create some hostilities, I thought Flynn was looking for 6 to 7 mill per year, which I think is pretty fair, if you really like him and most importantly Philbin wants him.....probably I'm over reacting, since this QB saga is keeping us to be more active in other area of needs.
I can't imagine that Smith would come cheaper than Flynn nor do I think that he'd be better than Moore. But, it's not like the Dolphins can afford to be picky at this stage.

Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.
We all want the QB problem addressed. This FO makes a pitch for Manning the #1 available QB. Did not get him. I would not have made the trade Washington made for RG3, just my opinion. The next QB available to most would be Matt Flynn. We brought him in. Alex Smith, a first round draft pick with starter and playoff experience, who was offered a 3 year deal with SF is brought in. I think they are doing what should be done to address this position. No matter what we will have competition for the starter spot. We may not Fix the QB position but I think they are addressing it as well as they could have during this offseason, before the draft.
Eternal Optimist. I thank God for the good things in my life. My wife, My Family, and the Miami Dolphins:up:


This all ends with us signing Matt Moore to a multi-year, doesn't it?
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
Yes
"HardKoreXXX wrote:
This all ends with us signing Matt Moore to a multi-year, doesn't it?
Shut your dirty whore mouth!

"mullingan wrote:
We all want the QB problem addressed. This FO makes a pitch for Manning the #1 available QB. Did not get him. I would not have made the trade Washington made for RG3, just my opinion. The next QB available to most would be Matt Flynn. We brought him in. Alex Smith, a first round draft pick with starter and playoff experience, who was offered a 3 year deal with SF is brought in. I think they are doing what should be done to address this position. No matter what we will have competition for the starter spot. We may not Fix the QB position but I think they are addressing it as well as they could have during this offseason, before the draft.
Correction: They might KNOW what needs to be done, but certainly aren't DOING what needs to be done. A fine line there, I think.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
LMAO.....
Sadly it would not surprise me in the least if we signed him.
RIP Jetssuck
"Firesole wrote:
If this regime signs Smith as a guy to compete with Moore as a starter, then I am done....completely done with this franchise.
Calling your bluff... only because I said this a couple times in the past and it never works. When you bleed aqua and orange you can't just give up. :up:
If we get Smith it will be more of a "bridge" to our next QB whether he comes in this years draft or next years draft. Thing is they are putting Philban in a very odd situation, they are basically telling him they would rather compete in the future and do a long, slow rebuilding process rather than trying to patch the holes and going full steam ahead. I believe that rebuilding is the correct way to go about it, but when coaches lose games they then to lose their reputation, respect, and confidence in the locker room. That is always hard to regain especially if you lose more games the following year. So if we get worse next year record-wise, like I am anticipating, it is going to be harder and harder for Philban to be our guy and turn everything around.
Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!
"Muck wrote:
Arriving at FTL.
he just looks like steve blake from the lakers
Ireland poker chips:pity:

