[Merged] Dan Henning | Wildcat Killing Drives

142 replies

SCall13SCall13New MemberOP
Sep 27, 2010, 12:00 AM

I, for one, am sick of the Wildcat. There were 3 drives, if my memory serves me well, that the wildcat effectively killed. When the offense - especially Henne - is clicking, you don't throw in some gimmick just to be doing it. I'm sick of the wildcat. It's run it's course. If we can't win straight up, we don't deserve it anyway. I have no idea what makes Henning want throw an unnecessary wildcat play into a drive that is running smoothly. That type of play calling is ridiculous and inexcusable. Is Henning really so in love with it that he just can't contain himself and just has to throw a momentum killer in there just because he likes it? In my opinion, it's causing our offense to sputter when they have strong momentum going.

Good game to Henne. Too bad he was taken off the field for so many negative plays.

That's my little vent. I could keep going, but the point is made, I think.

"Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision." - Muhammad Ali

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Sep 27, 2010, 12:02 AM

I think the Wildcat still has its uses IF we let Ronnie RUN the ball out of it, or swing it to Ricky on that sweep. It's when we get cute and run double reverses out of it, or cute passes... that's what needs to be scrapped.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Sep 27, 2010, 12:03 AM

Wildcat has become the worst thing to happen to this team. It's time for it to leave. The saints exposed how to beat it last year and it was never the same. the QC will never work without a real passing threat. Unless you're Michael Vick and Philly, don't use it.

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Sep 27, 2010, 12:04 AM

the wildcat today cost us this game, if they let henne in there, who was lighting the jets defense up, we win this freaking game

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:04 AM

WC killed drives its as simple as that.

MuckMuckRetired Admin
Sep 27, 2010, 12:06 AM

I didn't want to see this year. And with every passing game I despise it even more.

IMO it's officially hurting us now. It hurt us last year, but now it's just painfully obvious. I really get angry every time I see it because it's at Henne's expense. Every time he gets hot, the offense gets on a roll, Henning pull that **** out and we're now in a hole.

Henne had 363 yards passing tonight. Why the hell are we taking him off the field?

I think we're all sick and tired of this.

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

ClipseClipseNew Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:06 AM

Dan Henning

Anyone still willing to defend this guy? If so, please do, I could use a good laugh after this game.

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:06 AM

"Paul 13 wrote:

I think the Wildcat still has its uses IF we let Ronnie RUN the ball out of it, or swing it to Ricky on that sweep. It's when we get cute and run double reverses out of it, or cute passes... that's what needs to be scrapped.

We marched the WC out on 2nd-15 bro
And ran Ronnie :wink2:

SCall13SCall13New Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:08 AM

"Muck wrote:

I didn't want to see this year. And with every passing game I despise it even more.

IMO it's officially hurting us now. It hurt us last year, but now it's just painfully obvious. I really get angry every time I see it because it's at Henne's expense. Every time he gets hot, the offense gets on a roll, Henning pull that **** out and we're now in a hole.

Henne had 366 yards passing tonight. Why the hell are we taking him off the field?

I think we're all sick and tired of this.

Couldn't agree more.

"Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision." - Muhammad Ali

SCall13SCall13New Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:08 AM

He has to go after this season. Sparano has to be getting frustrated with the drive killing calls.

"Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision." - Muhammad Ali

vt_dolfanvt_dolfanSupporter
Sep 27, 2010, 12:09 AM

"R&R Express wrote:

Anyone still willing to defend this guy? If so, please do, I could use a good laugh after this game.

Henning had some amazing calls tonight man. I hated some of what he did..but he was pure genius on alot of them....

He just needs to kill the WC bull ****....

"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning"
Pele

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:09 AM

you're telling me a punt block and fumble weren't more costly?

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

PS17PS17New Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:09 AM

Scapegoat much? He called a brilliant game. IMO of course.

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Sep 27, 2010, 12:10 AM

"SCall13 wrote:

I, for one, am sick of the Wildcat. There were 3 drives, if my memory serves me well, that the wildcat effectively killed. When the offense - especially Henne - is clicking, you don't throw in some gimmick just to be doing it. I'm sick of the wildcat. It's run it's course. If we can't win straight up, we don't deserve it anyway. I have no idea what makes Henning want throw an unnecessary wildcat play into a drive that is running smoothly. That type of play calling is ridiculous and inexcusable. Is Henning really so in love with it that he just can't contain himself and just has to throw a momentum killer in there just because he likes it? In my opinion, it's causing our offense to sputter when they have strong momentum going.

Good game to Henne. Too bad he was taken off the field for so many negative plays.

That's my little vent. I could keep going, but the point is made, I think.

Fire henning tommorow he lost the game for us with his stupid play calling.He is to bull headed to realize what we all know the wild cat is dead.Every time we get inside the 30 here comes the freakin wild cat to kill our drive.

JRjrdolfan34New Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:10 AM

I'm a first time poster long time lurker. the wildcat tonight made me sign up. you beat me to it the wildcat lost the game tonight!

Sep 27, 2010, 12:11 AM

Every time they took the formation, I buried my face in my hands. We were moving the ball at will today through the air, why go away from it.

TrowaTrowaNew Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:12 AM

I think Henning was pissed that the Jets were getting such production out of the WC and wanted to at least do SOMETHING out of it. But instead we just pissed drive after drive away.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Sep 27, 2010, 12:12 AM

Its not so much the WC that cost this game, it was the some of the other calls. Outside of the last drive, we should have run it more and Ronnie should have played more than Ricky. Everything else could have been the same and we might have won. We probably would have had a TD instead of a FG on the last drive.

rdhstlr23rdhstlr23Supporter
Sep 27, 2010, 12:12 AM

I mean we did roll up 436 total yards and 23 points against a defense that's considered one of the elite in the NFL.

I know it's only the opinion of a commentator, but Collinsworth thought Henning's playcalling was brilliant. I wouldn't go so far as that, but I believe he deserves credit to keeping this defense as off balance as he did. Truth of the matter is, Henne has to give Hartline a chance on that fade, and he missed with accuracy on the pick. Maybe we should've tried running it on the two yard line earlier, but the plays were there I thought.

I thought the past two weeks Henning has deserved more bashing than after tonight's performance.

My only issue still remains this--it's a crime that Ronnie Brown is not more of a focal point in our offense. I understand he IS the Wildcat offense, but he needs to be getting handoffs 20-25 times a game. Ricky needs to just spell him.

bakedmattbakedmattNew Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:13 AM

Eh... You know we drove the ball 436 yards on them. The Patriots drove 291 yards on them last week.

@matthewfpepin

SCall13SCall13New Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:13 AM

"HenneGivenSunday wrote:

Every time they took the formation, I buried my face in my hands. We were moving the ball at will today through the air, why go away from it.

Answer: Because we have Henning as an offensive coordinator.

"Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision." - Muhammad Ali

Sep 27, 2010, 12:13 AM

The Wildcat needs to end, but otherwise, I like how much he attacked them through the air.

FIFinsanityNew Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:14 AM

You guys know that he was calling plays against the #1 defense. He had the jets on their heels. Sure I dont like the wildcat in certain situation but the offense was attacking. I feel good about the O even though we loss.

High DefinitionHigh DefinitionNew Member
Sep 27, 2010, 12:14 AM

Never left a game early in my life, but I will leave next week I we come out with this ****ing garbage while the offense is in perfect rhythm.

I hate Dan Henning more than I hate any player or coach on any team in all of sports.

Kanye West wrote:

I treat the cash like the government treats AIDS - I won't be satisfied till all my people get it.... GET IT?

PandarillaPandarillaForum Veteran
Sep 27, 2010, 12:14 AM

"rdhstlr23 wrote:

I mean we did roll up 436 total yards and 23 points against a defense that's considered one of the elite in the NFL.

I know it's only the opinion of a commentator, but Collinsworth thought Henning's playcalling was brilliant. I wouldn't go so far as that, but I believe he deserves credit to keeping this defense as off balance as he did. Truth of the matter is, Henne has to give Hartline a chance on that fade, and he missed with accuracy on the pick. Maybe we should've tried running it on the two yard line earlier, but the plays were there I thought.

I thought the past two weeks Henning has deserved more bashing than after tonight's performance.

My only issue still remains this--it's a crime that Ronnie Brown is not more of a focal point in our offense. I understand he IS the Wildcat offense, but he needs to be getting handoffs 20-25 times a game. Ricky needs to just spell him.

I agree