[MERGED] Trading Thomas, Taylor will best serve Dolphins

132 replies

SMOKESMOKEForum VeteranOP
Jan 3, 2008, 08:48 PM

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/01/03/a1c_stoda_0103.html


Maybe he could steal a first-round draft choice for a 33-year-old defensive end still as formidable as Taylor is when allowed to freelance and improvise. Probably not, but a second-rounder and perhaps another lower-rounder would do. He should also take whatever conditional pick he can get for a migraine-infected, concussion-plagued 34-year-old linebacker as brave-hearted as Thomas remains after spending too many seasons making tackle after tackle after tackle.


I think they both deserve a chance to play for a playoff caliber team. No need in having them suffer through what appears will be another bad season, next year. I think we should trade JT to the highest bidder. Zach doesn't have much trade value so we should just let him go and give him the opportunity to choose where he wants to play. What do you guys think?

RURUDEbyallMEANSNew Member
Jan 3, 2008, 08:52 PM

No one will trade for Zach Thomas

DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Jan 3, 2008, 08:53 PM

Please no NO I sense them going to New England!!! NO NO NO!!

Ahh trade lol yeah probably not, if we do please ship them the NFC team...

Tired of old dolphins biting us in the ace...

PApags77New Member
Jan 3, 2008, 08:54 PM

Think the current management would trade JT if they could get a 3rd round or higher draft pick. Think they will stick with Zach, he can have be a positive impact if he stays healthy, and his preparation for games and situations has been excellent throughout his career. This is the work ethic Parcells is looking for.

Roman529Roman529New Member
Jan 3, 2008, 08:56 PM

I would hate to see them both go, but I think sometimes you have to send guys on their way and give them a chance to win a SB ring elsewhere.....I just don't want to see either one of them get scooped up by the Pats. Trade them to an NFC team for whatever we can get....a 2nd for JT, and maybe a 4th or better for Zach.

ETEtuoo33New Member
Jan 3, 2008, 08:57 PM

Zach is the heart and soul of this team. If he wants his release then talk, otherwise this team might not be that far off. JT is different, if you can get a 1 or 2 AND he wants out.... fine,and good for him!

Brown42000Brown42000New Member
Jan 3, 2008, 08:59 PM

Parcells and Ireland are smart, they wouldn't trade Zach or JT to a division rival like Mueller and Cam did.

dolphindebbydolphindebbyLuxury Box
Jan 3, 2008, 09:03 PM

I just hope if he does let them go, or what ever, he shows them more respect than he's shown the others he's already let go. They deserve it!

DominizzoDominizzoNew Member
Jan 3, 2008, 09:10 PM

i See Taylor going to the Redskins or the PAckers oe even the Seahawks

PSpsingh01New Member
Jan 3, 2008, 09:13 PM

That's it! Trade 99 for 85! :ffic:

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jan 3, 2008, 09:29 PM

Welkers situation was different, its not like we WANTED to trade him, at all, let alone to the Pats. But they kinda forced our hand. Either pay top money for a #3 slot reciever and tie up loads of (needed) cap space, or let him go off and get some nice compensation. Really only one thing we could have done.

As for JT, I think we can get some good value for him, and should. Would love to see him in an NFC uni, but yeah, hopefully Ireland is not so stupid as to trade him to NE/Bills/Jets.
As for ZT, I dont think we could get enough value to overplay his value as a team leader and defensive general. Hell, the guy almost strikes me as having half a foot in a coaching job already, I could totally see him patrolling a sideline in a polo and khakis stalking after some young kid with that Zach face.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jan 3, 2008, 09:31 PM

"Dominizzo wrote:

i See Taylor going to the Redskins or the PAckers oe even the Seahawks

The Packers have 2 very good ends. Seahawks are pretty well set there as well. Washington maybe.

As crappy as the NFC in general is though, I think would be a decent number of teams who may part with a 1-2 for him.

DADannyNew Member
Jan 3, 2008, 09:32 PM

I'd take a 2nd for JT...if we're going with a real 3-4 JT should be traded...Zach I'd like to keep but again, in a 3-4 he doesn't fit...he's gonna get killed by those big guards but I can't see anyone trading for him at this point with the injuries.

Ozzy rules!!

#1dolphinsfan#1dolphinsfanNew Member
Jan 3, 2008, 09:34 PM

"Dominizzo wrote:

i See Taylor going to the Redskins or the PAckers oe even the Seahawks

i would rather have him go to the seahawks or Packers my dad is a Seahawks fan and my sister is a Packer fan

RalphX19XRalphX19XNew Member
Jan 3, 2008, 09:37 PM

I read an article a few weeks back that the Browns would be interested in JT. Would JT for Anderson straight up or Anderson and a pick make sense?

shula_guyshula_guyNew Member
Jan 3, 2008, 09:39 PM

Unless they asked to leave I think it would be really wrong to trade either of them. They should retire as Dolphins and I suspect they would tell you they rather retire as Dolphins without rings then someplace else with the ring.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Frederic Bastiat

Roman529Roman529New Member
Jan 3, 2008, 09:43 PM

"RalphX19X wrote:

I read an article a few weeks back that the Browns would be interested in JT. Would JT for Anderson straight up or Anderson and a pick make sense?

I like what I have seen out of Anderson...he finds way to put points on the board. I think I could live with this deal, especially since most teams would probably not give us a 1st for JT.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jan 3, 2008, 09:47 PM

"shula_guy wrote:

Unless they asked to leave I think it would be really wrong to trade either of them. They should retire as Dolphins and I suspect they would tell you they rather retire as Dolphins without rings then someplace else with the ring.

I think the opposite. I think they would love to win a SuperBowl, thats what being in the NFL is all about. I dont think theyd like to do it at the expense of Miami (aka being traded to NE or something), but its no fun looking your last 2-3 years left sitting on a 1-15 team.

And as much as ive enjoyed watching them play, its about the team, not individuals. If we can get a good value on a trade, Id rather see us pick up a guy who could be a good player for 10 years down the road.

pennphinfanpennphinfanForum Veteran
Jan 3, 2008, 09:57 PM

i would say let zach retire and become linebackers coach.. but thats 1 of the 2 out of 20-odd coaching positions we actually kept.. plus if we need depth we could 'fire' zach and re-sign him as a player haha. win win situation!

ALalen1New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 01:33 AM

Miami May Trade Taylor, Thomas

Miami isn't going to transform itself from 1-15 doormat to anything beyond a four- or five-win team next season with or without Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas, which means planning for the longer-term future becomes much more important than any other consideration. It's unfortunate for both players that the Dolphins were too inept offensively to make their most dominant defensive seasons matter. But the window long ago closed on the Taylor-and-Thomas dream of playing together in a Super Bowl for the only team either of them has known. A Dolphins divorce might not be all that wrenching for either player, anyway.

Link: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/01/03/a1c_stoda_0103.html

SWsweeperNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 01:44 AM

i would take their two 1sts, a 3rd and a 2nd next year for our 1ts and ZT (meaning to dallas) loll jsut threw rounds out but seems so so/possible type of situatoin but why would they? they have a lot of LBs arleayd. thats what the article suggest to Dal

and CLE isnt a contendor so why there? just b/c its near his "home" or w/e.

Go for GHOL!

^^^^^^^^^
1st pick

NEnenothtuNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 01:50 AM

"alen1 wrote:

Miami isn't going to transform itself from 1-15 doormat to anything beyond a four- or five-win team next season with or without Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas,

Link: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/01/03/a1c_stoda_0103.html

That's ridiculous. This team was absolutely decimated by injuries, as bad as I've ever seen for any team, yet six games were lost by only 3 points and others were winnable as well. When this team gets healthy, adds several more talented players, and cuts out the stupid mistakes they can easily be very competitive next season.

It's absolutely impossible to judge how ANY NFL team is going to fare a year into the future. I won't be shocked at 2-3 wins but I also wouldn't be shocked at challenging for a playoff spot. There's too many variables yet to play out before next season.

late againlate againNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 01:57 AM

Stoda is making some pretty big assumptions there. He assumes that, with or without JT and ZT the Dolphins can't win more than 4-5 games next year. Well.....maybe; or maybe they can win more. Regardless, it's shortsighted to assume that.
He also assumes that neither of them would be willing to make it easy financially to keep them on the team. That may very well be the case this time. However, in the past they have both been willing to restructure when asked. IMO the best thing to do would be to wait and see who is the new HC before making any guesses along those lines.

CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 01:59 AM

If the right deal comes along, then it should happen. However, all moves should be made to make sure these guys don't end up on the patriots.

Roman529Roman529New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 02:40 AM

We need help pretty much everywhere so if we need to deal JT or Zach, then that is what we have to do. I'll miss them. :sad:

But maybe we can deal them to an NFC team where they will have a shot at a ring.

I just want to see Miami make the right decisions so we can be competitive again.