[Merged] Wanna know what I love about Caleb Sturgis?

42 replies

DolPhinPhan7DolPhinPhan7Forum VeteranOP
Sep 23, 2013, 10:20 AM

I know the goal of every drive is to get a Touchdown but when watching a game you're always looking to see where the Phins need to be to get into FG range.*

With Carpenter recently, I wasn't confident the Dolphins would at least get some points until they were well within the 30 yard line. And even then I would be nervous putting him out there kicking anything over 40 yards.*

It's an almost certain 3 points (No Turnover of course) if the Dolphins get within the 40 or more yards of the endzone. Those 2 53-yarders he kicked last week after getting iced by the Colts coach was amazing.*

The Dolphins have benefitted from missed FG's by the opposition in their first 3 weeks. Last year they could have easily finished 9-7 if Carpenter wasn't "The Suck".*

Having a clutch kicker like this is certainly a nice addition to this surprisingly awesome star to the season.*

MuckMuckRetired Admin
Sep 23, 2013, 10:24 AM

What also impresses me is not only is he automatic, those kicks go right down the middle. Every time. 54-yarder wiped away via icing timeout? No problem. He splits the uprights again 60 seconds later.

He's a machine.

- sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 beta -

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Sep 23, 2013, 10:25 AM

"Muck wrote:

What also impresses me is not only is he automatic, those kicks go right down the middle. Every time. 54-yarder wiped away via icing timeout? No problem. He splits the uprights again 60 seconds later.

He's a machine.

- sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 beta -

The Sturginator, 'I'll touch-back"

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Sep 23, 2013, 10:27 AM

Yeah he splits down the middle, keeps calm, and also helps tremendously with booting it out of the endzone every kick off.

Kid is automatic, love it!

invidinvidSupporter
Sep 23, 2013, 10:29 AM

"Muck wrote:

What also impresses me is not only is he automatic, those kicks go right down the middle. Every time. 54-yarder wiped away via icing timeout? No problem. He splits the uprights again 60 seconds later.

He's a machine.

- sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 beta -

He hasn't had a near-miss all year.

DolfanTomDolfanTomNew Member
Sep 23, 2013, 10:36 AM

"Muck wrote:

He's a machine.

If it wasn't for his emotion after the kicks, I would think he was some kind of kicking robot that Ireland had made a few years back, sent to college so nobody would suspect anything, and then drafted him as planned. It's like if you had a kicking machine to test footballs, just sitting there - a very repeatable "swing" with his leg kick, like a good golfer will do when he's in the zone.

"SICK wrote:

Yeah he splits down the middle, keeps calm, and also helps tremendously with booting it out of the endzone every kick off.

Kid is automatic, love it!

Seriously, no skipped heartbeats on any kicks just yet. It's like his kicked ball is a heat-seeking missile, with a big ball of fire between the goal posts.

"invid wrote:

He hasn't had a near-miss all year.

Testify

Please join us for the #BillsMafiaTakeover, 9/14 in Buffalo!!!! https://www.facebook.com/events/433589416780504/

Follow me @Hotstover

MrtreeMrtreeForum Veteran
Sep 23, 2013, 10:51 AM

Not just down the middle, but with distance to spare. He's been NAILING everything. If he was a bball 3 point shooter they would be getting nothing but net.

Larry LittleLarry LittleSupporter
Sep 23, 2013, 10:52 AM

When the Colts iced Sturgis on that 54 yarder... and he re-kicked... I seriously thought the second kick was a replay, at first. That's how automatic it was.

The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese

maynardmaynardNew Member
Sep 23, 2013, 11:24 AM

I'll love him until I hate him

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." GRRM, ADWD

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Sep 23, 2013, 11:29 AM

what I like, He's a cool customer. By every account I've read he is never up or down. Almost stoic. That and he doesn't miss.

Hope we aren't putting the whammy on him.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Sep 23, 2013, 11:33 AM

"maynard wrote:

I'll love him until I hate him

What about when you love him again....like you did with me?

PariahPariahNew Member
Sep 23, 2013, 11:34 AM

This thread is missing a discussion about his facemask. I really thought that would be the heart of this convo.

BumrushBumrushSupporter
Sep 23, 2013, 11:35 AM

Calebnator is on cool cat.

DolPhinPhan7DolPhinPhan7Forum Veteran
Sep 23, 2013, 11:35 AM

He hasn't had to kick with the game on the line yet. So we'll see about that. But he seems like a cool customer no matter what.*

No way Carpenter hits back to back 50+ kicks anymore.*

gunn34gunn34New Member
Sep 23, 2013, 11:39 AM

"Tin Indian wrote:

Hope we aren't putting the whammy on him.

Me too. :sweatdrop:

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Sep 23, 2013, 11:42 AM

He even made a FG while it was tipped......he can bounce a ball off a defenders hand, through the goalposts!

BumrushBumrushSupporter
Sep 23, 2013, 11:48 AM

This mother****er could kick Chuck Noriss's ass and make the Most Interesting Man in the World boring!!

Caleb for President!!

finyank13finyank13New Member
Sep 23, 2013, 11:49 AM

In Week 1 when he buried that 50 yarder I yelled "TITS"....that has been my nickname for him since.....

At the end of the first half yesterday I was like "they have 2TO's and the 2 minute warning, plenty of time to get across mid-field around the 35-40 in range for tits"

My friends were all like "yup yup" they knew.....the guy is TITS!!!!!

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 23, 2013, 11:50 AM

The pendulum .

maynardmaynardNew Member
Sep 23, 2013, 12:13 PM

"Fin D wrote:

What about when you love him again....like you did with me?

Yeah but I hate you again

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." GRRM, ADWD

FanMarinoFanMarinoNew Member
Sep 23, 2013, 12:39 PM

Funny how he was neck and neck with Carpenter in training camp and the general opinion was Sturgis got the job due to Carpenters contract. Sturgis has done seriously well since taking the job. He's solid and proving the long FGs are in his armoury.

jboogiejboogieForum Veteran
Sep 23, 2013, 01:05 PM

Sturg-o-matic?

infiltrateibinfiltrateibLuxury Box
Sep 23, 2013, 01:25 PM

I don't think anyone can hate on that pick anymore. Saved $2M on the cap, got a better kicker, picked up at least 20yd/g in hidden yardage from automatic touchbacks.

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
Sep 23, 2013, 01:39 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

In Week 1 when he buried that 50 yarder I yelled "TITS"....that has been my nickname for him since.....

At the end of the first half yesterday I was like "they have 2TO's and the 2 minute warning, plenty of time to get across mid-field around the 35-40 in range for tits"

My friends were all like "yup yup" they knew.....the guy is TITS!!!!!

Speaking of TITS. Type Sturgis into google and then click on images.

Your welcome.

1919kyle86New Member
Sep 23, 2013, 02:44 PM

"Pariah wrote:

This thread is missing a discussion about his facemask. I really thought that would be the heart of this convo.

I absolutely love his facemask!

Watching the game with a buddy yesterday, I told him Sturgis wasn't going to miss a kick all game (and continued on to say he wouldn't miss one all year...) Still, his composure and skill are amazing. It's nice to be able to kick from 50+ and still be confident we can pick up some points.