Miami Dolphins Confessional

24 replies

TItirty8Forum VeteranOP
Nov 20, 2016, 09:24 PM

I think it is time, fellas. We are not at all the team we started the year as. Most of us have made some ugly assertions. It is time for us to admit where we have gone wrong and cleanse our souls.

I would personally like to begin the purge.

-I hated the Adam Gase hire - absolutely hated it. He has done a great job. I was wrong.

-I hated the trade for Maxwell and Kiko. Kiko alone made this trade worth while. I was wrong.

-I never believed in Lippett. I was wrong.

-I thought Tannenbaum was completely inept. I was wrong.

-I thought Ross was inept. I was wrong.

dWreckdWreckNew Member
Nov 20, 2016, 09:48 PM

I loved the Gase hire but I actually wanted Hue the most, and I felt I was one of the very very few people that was very stoked about Kiko and Maxwell, even though Maxwell gets a resounding meh so far, I wanted Kiko bad.

I never believed in Lippett, I'm not sure I 100% do yet, but he's playing considerably better than expected.

I'll eat crow about the Jay train all day though, 110% wrong. I never thought Ajayi would be out there looking like a poor mans ricky williams. I've never been so happy to be wrong. Ironically I was 100% ON BOARD with letting Miller walk and got a lot of flak for it, but it seems like it's working out.


The KRAKEN! Still proving doubters wrong on the weekly.
Get well soon Tanny. #ThatsMyQB

TItirty8Forum Veteran
Nov 20, 2016, 09:50 PM

"dWreck wrote:

I loved the Gase hire but I actually wanted Hue the most, and I felt I was one of the very very few people that was very stoked about Kiko and Maxwell, even though Maxwell gets a resounding meh so far, I wanted Kiko bad.

I never believed in Lippett, I'm not sure I 100% do yet, but he's playing considerably better than expected.

I'll eat crow about the Jay train all day though, 110% wrong. I never thought Ajayi would be out there looking like a poor mans ricky williams. I've never been so happy to be wrong. Ironically I was 100% ON BOARD with letting Miller walk and got a lot of flak for it, but it seems like it's working out.

Great confessional... We all need to purge the negative energy! We have to be the best fans in the league!

BlameItOnTheHenneBlameItOnTheHenneForum Veteran
Nov 20, 2016, 09:51 PM

I wasn't a fan of Tannebaum and I still don't like him.

Kiko has been a surprise for me though.

TItirty8Forum Veteran
Nov 20, 2016, 09:53 PM

Man-to-man, I think a lot of guys owe Ryan Tannehill an apology.

Vinny FinsVinny FinsForum Veteran
Nov 20, 2016, 09:57 PM

Im sorry Tannehill.

Sorry, Tannenbaum.

I thought the Alonso/Maxwell trade was bad. Im dumb.

fooball.
futbol.
hockey.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 10:09 AM

The players who have made me eat crow this season so far are Branch and Parker. Parker to a lesser extent b/c I saw potential and risk. I probably wouldn't have picked him b/c I didn't like the risk/benefit ratio but it's paying off. Branch, I hated that signing. I thought we'd pissed away the money and handcuffed ourselves from pursuing other opportunities. I liked the Mario Williams signing better and I think I got those two decisions completely backwards.

Another guy I was wrong on is Damien Williams. I called for that guy to be cut weekly last year and he has developed into a nice change of pace weapon for us.

My other more overall mistake has been on the defense. I didn't believe in them and they have been much better than I expected.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 10:25 AM

Father, forgive me, I must confess, I thought the defense was downright terrible and would be toast without Reshad. Further, I thought Williams was awful and should be cut.

btfu149btfu149Forum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 12:33 PM

I thought Ajayi should be cut after he was a healthy scratch week one vs Seattle, I thought he wasn't talented enough to have an attitude problem, I was REALLY wrong.

I thought Damien Williams was awful, but he has played solid football for us this year spelling Ajayi, I was wrong. (Although that first third down of the game yesterday, Tannehill threw him a very catchable pass that he just stopped running to, that infuriated me)

I thought our secondary would crumble without Rashad, I was wrong (imagine if we had Rashad right now though)

CalifinCalifinNew Member
Nov 21, 2016, 02:51 PM

Think i'm in the wrong thread, where's the line start for soapbox "I told you so's"?

thetylernatorthetylernatorForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 03:13 PM

I think a lot of credit for the performances of Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell needs to be attributed to Vance Joseph. Initially, I worried about Joseph's hiring and his proposed scheme, but he's proven me wrong. Joseph is getting what Dan Quinn got out of Byron Maxwell and what Jim Schwartz got out of Kiko Alonso, simultaneously. To add to that, he's managed to develop younger members of the secondary (Tony Lippett, Bobby McCain) in order to supplement the lack of talent across the board and the injury to Reshad Jones. I think he's a legitimate HC candidate in 2017, but hopefully we can hang on to him for a while longer like Carolina has done with Mike Shula and Sean McDermott.

BrasfinBrasfinForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 03:38 PM

"thetylernator wrote:

I think a lot of credit for the performances of Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell needs to be attributed to Vance Joseph. Initially, I worried about Joseph's hiring and his proposed scheme, but he's proven me wrong. Joseph is getting what Dan Quinn got out of Byron Maxwell and what Jim Schwartz got out of Kiko Alonso, simultaneously. To add to that, he's managed to develop younger members of the secondary (Tony Lippett, Bobby McCain) in order to supplement the lack of talent across the board and the injury to Reshad Jones. I think he's a legitimate HC candidate in 2017, but hopefully we can hang on to him for a while longer like Carolina has done with Mike Shula and Sean McDermott.

Doubt Joseph leaves next year. Has that ever even happened? Position coach to head coach in a span of two years? I think teams are going to want to wait until he proves some consistency before pulling the trigger on him.

thetylernatorthetylernatorForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 03:58 PM
BrasfinBrasfinForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 03:58 PM

As for the confession. I've always been a pro-Tannehill guy but wavered on him early this season... well, so far he is proving me and many others wrong, keep it up!

BrasfinBrasfinForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 04:03 PM

"thetylernator wrote:

It has happened, and Denver interviewed him in 2015 for their head coaching position. He's only solidifying his resume here.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/01/15/broncos-interview-nfl-secondary-coach-former-cu-buffs-quarterback-vance-joseph-head-coaching-position/32180/#disqus_thread

http://www.todayspigskin.com/from-the-sidelines/nfl-assistants-who-could-become-head-coaching-candidates-in-2017/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000715672/article/head-coach-candidates-josh-mcdaniels-tops-the-list

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/02/26/marvin-lewis-dolphins-dc-vance-joseph-on-his-way-to-head-coach/

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/joseph-destined-to-be-head-coach-but-dolphins-prac/nrbZg/

Interviewing a guy and hiring him are two different things. Especially since he is a minority coach and teams must fulfill the Rooney Rule. I have no doubt he will interview for a HC spot next year at least to get a feel for who he is, but it also takes two to tango. Maybe even he will not want to leave Miami just yet, we do not know.

thetylernatorthetylernatorForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 04:14 PM

"Brasfin wrote:

Interviewing a guy and hiring him are two different things. Especially since he is a minority coach and teams must fulfill the Rooney Rule. I have no doubt he will interview for a HC spot next year at least to get a feel for who he is, but it also takes two to tango. Maybe even he will not want to leave Miami just yet, we do not know.

Wow, you read those articles fast.

Are you saying he was only interviewed by a perennial playoff team, as a positions coach no less, due to the color of his skin? I hope not.

Joseph was already popular among league circles a couple years ago, and all I am saying is that he might not stick around for long.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 04:22 PM

I was very wrong about Branch. I thought he was a wasted hire and wouldn't be a better player than Fede.

I am starting to come around about Tannenbaum. I still do not trust him. However, the last two draft and free agents were decently solid. Probably the best two-year stretch in a while.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

BrasfinBrasfinForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 04:24 PM

"thetylernator wrote:

Wow, you read those articles fast.

Are you saying he was only interviewed by a perennial playoff team, as a positions coach no less, due to the color of his skin? I hope not.

Joseph was already popular among league circles a couple years ago, and all I am saying is that he might not stick around for long.

I hope not either, but you can't deny the fact that teams do this. It's a rule set in the league and they have to comply, even if the minority coach is not the team's top priority.

I agree he won't stick around for long, but I don't believe he'll leave next year after a single season of success as a defensive coordinator, but we'll see. I hope he stays longer, he's done a great job this season.

PandarillaPandarillaForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 08:01 PM

I'm sorry I caused all that cancer...

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Nov 21, 2016, 09:30 PM

Well, I said at the beginning of the year that this was the most potent offense we've had in decades...and I continued saying that when we were 1-4 without a lineman in sight. So far I've been wrong because everything hasn't clicked yet (mainly due to injuries), but I think we're pretty darn close at this point. This may be the week when everything clicks and we explode.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Nov 22, 2016, 01:02 PM

I was wrong about lippett. Also I gave up on parker one week before he found his desire again. I was right about kiko and tannehill and gase



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Nov 22, 2016, 02:13 PM

Was wrong on Jason Jones. Thought he would perform better.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2016, 02:27 PM

I've been wrong a lot in the past, from Wallace not being capable of fighting for the ball to Philbin being a good coach. However, I haven't been wrong about anything this season because I haven't made any proclamations, because this off season and regular season have felt strange to me so I figured I'd just go along for the ride.

Fin-OFin-OForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2016, 03:43 PM

"tirty8 wrote:

Man-to-man, I think a lot of guys owe Ryan Tannehill an apology.

Anyone who was calling for him to be benched for Moore with the intention of him staying there Id say they were always off base. Anyone who pointed out he wasn't playing well in the beginning of the year and frankly most of last year were not "wrong"...he wasn't.

He has become more confident of a QB and it is showing in the crunch time performances specifically 3rd down and 4th quarters. He and the whole OFF looked rough for 3 quarters Sunday. That isn't "hating" that was a fact.

I know Ive never been so encouraged by his play. His manuverbility in the pocket has certainly came a long way, I remember thinking after watching that Bengals debacle live that he was never going to overcome his anticipation issues and ability to react post snap.

I WAS WRONG....he has improved in these areas immensely in a short time. I think it is a combination of comfort level in the system and frankly he just looks so much more confident and in command back there. It is extremely encouraging, and barring a major setback I see no reason to not retain him even at that price tag. Gase has done a fantastic job with him and the whole offense frankly.

Now in regards to the Defense (the 2nd most scrutinized part of the team) I have always thought they were better than the performances they were putting out. The offense and Ajayi keeping them fresh was a huge game changer.

Lots to be excited about moving forward,

"The reason so many people misunderstand so many issues is not that these issues are so complex, but that the people do not want a factual or analytical explanation that leaves them emotionally unsatisfied"

FinsterFinsterNew Member
Nov 22, 2016, 08:47 PM

"Brasfin wrote:

Doubt Joseph leaves next year. Has that ever even happened? Position coach to head coach in a span of two years? I think teams are going to want to wait until he proves some consistency before pulling the trigger on him.

The only reason I know this is because my brother is a Steelers fan, but Tomlin was a DC with Min for 1 year before the Steelers hired him, so it's happened at least once, lol.

EDIT; now that I think about it though, I seem to remember that there have been a couple HCs that have skipped coordinator entirely.

EDIT; looking quickly, John Harbaugh was never an OC or DC prior to becoming HC, he was a ST coach, go figure.