Miami Has 2 1st Round Picks In The 2008 NFL Draft!!!
43 replies
As we all know, New England already clinched the division, meaning that they won't have a 1st round pick for next year's draft..., Miami is currently at last place and its almost 100% that it will keep that way..., IF Miami clinches the 1st pick of next year's draft, they will also have the 32nd pick (the one that would be New England's, but is our 2nd round pick), so we would have 2 picks inside the first 32 picks (considered as 2 1st round picks), we will aslo have SD's 2nd and our 3rd, so we are in track for a big draft...
Who would you pick?, my first 2 picks, would be:
*Glenn Dorsey DT
*Vernon Gholston DE (If still there) or *Quentin Groves DE and as my last option *Mike Jenkins CB
GO PHINS!!!
After watching him absolutely dismantle Michigan, I'd be stunned if Gholston is there at 32. Jenkins is probably a goner by then, too, but stranger things have happened.
For me, I'd take Dorsey, and the best available WR. I don't know if he'll come out, but I like Mario Manningham a lot. Maybe I'm a homer that way, though.
Ok i hate to sound like i know nothing, but why does NE clinching the division mean that we get their first round draft pick? Maybe i'm just confused.
Glenn Dorsey absolutely should be the #1 overall pick. I think he's a lock for that position.
If at all possible, I'd like to trade Jason Taylor for, at best, a 2nd and 3rd round pick. That gives us 3 2nd round picks, and 2 3rd round picks. If that trade can be pulled off, then we're in a good position to trade back up into the middle of the first round to select Dan Connor, the true heir to Zach Thomas. A big obstacle here is New England: they're almost certainly going to select a linebacker with San Francisco's first round pick, and they may pluck Connor and never look back.
But let's say we don't trade Taylor and don't trade up... at #32, we're in a good positon to pick a DE, perhaps Calais Campbell if we believe he won't take plays off the way he does at UM. LB is still a high priority, so if there's a good linebacker who's falling down, we should pick him here. Lastly, corner is an outside possibility, though I think the CB crop this draft is deep enough that we can wait until later in the 2nd, and possibly the 3rd, to get a good reliable CB.
Also, TE or WR on the first day should be a priority. I'd go for DJ Hall in the 3rd.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Funkymonks wrote:
Ok i hate to sound like i know nothing, but why does NE clinching the division mean that we get their first round draft pick? Maybe i'm just confused.
They loose their pick no matter what for the cheating scandal... ours would not be a first rounder technically, it would be a 2nd rounder but since new englands pick has been eliminated, then our pick would be no. 32 overall... therefore a first rounder in a normal year.

In the old times it was not a crime!!!!
"Funkymonks wrote:
Ok i hate to sound like i know nothing, but why does NE clinching the division mean that we get their first round draft pick? Maybe i'm just confused.
Yes, you just missed something, LOL, in the first week of the year, New England spied the Jets and the NFL noticed that, so they told the Pats that if they would reach the playoffs, they would miss their 1st round pick..., this past week they clinched the division, so they are in playoffs for sure...
"Desides wrote:
Glenn Dorsey absolutely should be the #1 overall pick. I think he's a lock for that position.
If at all possible, I'd like to trade Jason Taylor for, at best, a 2nd and 3rd round pick. That gives us 3 2nd round picks, and 2 3rd round picks. If that trade can be pulled off, then we're in a good position to trade back up into the middle of the first round to select Dan Connor, the true heir to Zach Thomas. A big obstacle here is New England: they're almost certainly going to select a linebacker with San Francisco's first round pick, and they may pluck Connor and never look back.
But let's say we don't trade Taylor and don't trade up... at #32, we're in a good positon to pick a DE, perhaps Calais Campbell if we believe he won't take plays off the way he does at UM. LB is still a high priority, so if there's a good linebacker who's falling down, we should pick him here. Lastly, corner is an outside possibility, though I think the CB crop this draft is deep enough that we can wait until later in the 2nd, and possibly the 3rd, to get a good reliable CB.
Also, TE or WR on the first day should be a priority. I'd go for DJ Hall in the 3rd.
Damn I thought Campbell was in the running for #1 overall . . . I know he hasn't performed like it, but we have a shot at him at #32? Damn!! That would be amazing
"quelonio wrote:
They loose their pick no matter what for the cheating scandal... ours would not be a first rounder technically, it would be a 2nd rounder but since new englands pick has been eliminated, then our pick would be no. 32 overall... therefore a first rounder in a normal year.
Exactly!!!
"Desides wrote:
Glenn Dorsey absolutely should be the #1 overall pick. I think he's a lock for that position.
If at all possible, I'd like to trade Jason Taylor for, at best, a 2nd and 3rd round pick. That gives us 3 2nd round picks, and 2 3rd round picks. If that trade can be pulled off, then we're in a good position to trade back up into the middle of the first round to select Dan Connor, the true heir to Zach Thomas. A big obstacle here is New England: they're almost certainly going to select a linebacker with San Francisco's first round pick, and they may pluck Connor and never look back.
But let's say we don't trade Taylor and don't trade up... at #32, we're in a good positon to pick a DE, perhaps Calais Campbell if we believe he won't take plays off the way he does at UM. LB is still a high priority, so if there's a good linebacker who's falling down, we should pick him here. Lastly, corner is an outside possibility, though I think the CB crop this draft is deep enough that we can wait until later in the 2nd, and possibly the 3rd, to get a good reliable CB.
Also, TE or WR on the first day should be a priority. I'd go for DJ Hall in the 3rd.
Campbell is going at least top 20 if not 10
Well after 15 years Bettman lets hockey come back to Winnipeg. Thanks for wasting 15 years
I Worry a little about Dorsey, He would be a great addition but he seems to be injury prone. I would consider taking McFadden. He's exceptional and it would keep him out of NewEngland. Miami could use two good backs. If available I like Alex Boone at 32 if not a cb.
"wpgfishfan wrote:
Campbell is going at least top 20 if not 10
They said the same thing about Alan Branch. He went #33 overall after Arizona traded up for him.
Campbell is a clear 2nd rounder, IMO.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Kdawg954 wrote:
Damn I thought Campbell was in the running for #1 overall . . . I know he hasn't performed like it, but we have a shot at him at #32? Damn!! That would be amazing
Yes, Calais Campbell would be a nice addition to our defense, but he is projected to go around the 25th overall pick, if he falls to the 32nd, it would be great for us...
"Gamble wrote:
I Worry a little about Dorsey, He would be a great addition but he seems to be injury prone. I would consider taking McFadden. He's exceptional and it would keep him out of NewEngland. Miami could use two good backs. If available I like Alex Boone at 32 if not a cb.
McFadden and a Fred Okam.
As much as I like McFadden, I think we really need to address the issues we have in our Defense. Dorsey looks like the guy right now, I guess we'll know more as the draft approaches.
"phunwin wrote:
After watching him absolutely dismantle Michigan, I'd be stunned if Gholston is there at 32. Jenkins is probably a goner by then, too, but stranger things have happened.
For me, I'd take Dorsey, and the best available WR. I don't know if he'll come out, but I like Mario Manningham a lot. Maybe I'm a homer that way, though.
Maybe you are confusing..., there are 2 Jenkins CB's projected to go at the 1st round..., the first one is Malcolm Jenkins who is projected to go around 15 - 20 overall pick, but Mike Jenkins (the second one) is a late first rounder, so we could pick him...
Dorsey's the pick, IMO. He's one of the best prospects in a long while at a position of need.
I was a little concerned at first about fitting the defense, but Capers has run a defense with a 3-technique instead of true 3-4 end in Gary Walker, and Dorsey has shown that he can make plays lined up over the tackle in LSU's nickel and dime packages.
"padre31 wrote:
McFadden and a Fred Okam.
We really don't need McFadden, we have one of the best depths at RB in Ronnie Brown, Jesse Chatman, Lorenzo Booker, Samkon Gado and recently added Ricky Williams..., so I say first address the necessities and then get the luxuries...
"Finsavior wrote:
We really don't need McFadden, we have one of the best depths at RB in Ronnie Brown, Jesse Chatman, Lorenzo Booker, Samkon Gado and recently added Ricky Williams..., so I say first address the necessities and then get the luxuries...
Listing names doesn't show they are talented Finsavior, Gado was a late season pick up, LBook has yet to do a thing and has been active for 2 games on an 0-11 team and Ronnie averages missing 4 games a season for us in his time here.
McFadden can be scoring TD's for us for a long time for the same money as Dorsey would sign for, and he can play instantly as who knows how long it will take Ronnie to heal?
Take Okam to be the run plugger and we have to muck around for a pass rushing DE and a Safety I should think...
"Gamble wrote:
I Worry a little about Dorsey, He would be a great addition but he seems to be injury prone. I would consider taking McFadden. He's exceptional and it would keep him out of NewEngland. Miami could use two good backs. If available I like Alex Boone at 32 if not a cb.
I agree 100%. Sometimes Dorsey can be a great player. But at other times it seems as if he gets no push. He was suffering from a back inhury last week and it cost LSU big time (they couldn't stop the run).
McFadden is a game breaker. He can throw and run. We could use him like Bush/McCallister in NO. Ronnie Brown can catch the ball which adds another dimension if we have Brown/McFadden.
Also, Alex Boone is one heck of a football player. He's a fighter and seems to never give up.
IT'S CAUGHT BY CAMARILLO! IT'S A FOOT RACE WITH WINBORNE! MIAMI HAS WON!!! MIAMI HAS WON!!! http://news.ask.com/news?q=greg+camarillo&apimg=2563585&qsrc=8&o=0&l=dir
Didn't SF trade this years 1st round pick for one of their lineman last year? the way SF is playing they are looking at a top 5 pick, so technically NE still does have a 1st round pick.
"Finsavior wrote:
Maybe you are confusing..., there are 2 Jenkins CB's projected to go at the 1st round..., the first one is Malcolm Jenkins who is projected to go around 15 - 20 overall pick, but Mike Jenkins (the second one) is a late first rounder, so we could pick him...
I saw Kiper have Mike Jenkins as the 9th player on his Big Board at one point. If he's fallen some, then great, but that's what I based that statement on.
McFadden is, without a doubt, the best player in this draft. However, I think we've got bigger needs. If we trade down a spot or two and get Dorsey, that would be fine, or if we could trade Brown, then McFadden makes sense. But two superstar running backs on a team that has so many other gaping holes doesn't make sense to me.
I don't even think the Bush/McAllister thing makes sense. Remember that Bush is used as much as a receiver as a runner in that offense. Brown has good hands, but not enough that I'd put him in the slot or H-back or anything like that to put him on the field with McFadden.
"phunwin wrote:
McFadden is, without a doubt, the best player in this draft. However, I think we've got bigger needs. If we trade down a spot or two and get Dorsey, that would be fine, or if we could trade Brown, then McFadden makes sense. But two superstar running backs on a team that has so many other gaping holes doesn't make sense to me.
But remember, our GM was the one who drafted McAllister #1 a year or two after Dikta traded away all of his draft picks for Ricky Williams - Mueller will pick the best player with the first pick and not go on need. (This is assuming that they can't trade down and stockpile picks - which they need to do).
"Stafford wrote:
But remember, our GM was the one who drafted McAllister #1 a year or two after Dikta traded away all of his draft picks for Ricky Williams - Mueller will pick the best player with the first pick and not go on need. (This is assuming that they can't trade down and stockpile picks - which they need to do).
I hope we get Glenn Dorsey!
"Stafford wrote:
Mueller will pick the best player with the first pick and not go on need. (This is assuming that they can't trade down and stockpile picks - which they need to do).
I totally agree with Mueller on that one.
First off, Brown has a knee injury which could make him return like McGahee did OR most likely like Jamal Anderson etc. etc.
If we cant get out of that first pick, we need to pick the top player of the draft regardless of need and then address the needs later on with the 32nd pick etc. etc.
I would trade Brown in a second if the right deal came around. Brown finally started to come on this year but after this knee injury it might take a while for him to get back up to speed. Not to mention, he wasnt exactly living up to his 2nd pick of the entire draft status until recently.
All in all, I am pretty sure we'll trade the pick as someone will gush over Darren and hand us a good deal, but if not, you've got to pick the best player available with such a pick....if thats McFadden, so be it.
.
i think brown will be fine. it's not like his game depended on razor-like cuts or pure speed. as long as ronnie can pump his legs, he will play.
besides...with a stable of even just ricky, chatman, cobbs, booker and possibly gado - not even counting ronnie - what sense would it make for a team that needs EVERYTHING BUT A RB and a qb to take another rb?
and god, i'm sick of the either/or attitude about need vs. bpa - THERE IS A MIDDLE GROUND!
we're lucky :huh: enough to need almost everything - so what makes sense as bpa will probably make sense as need, and vice-versa.
sheep don't make draft picks, people do. and people have brains. and it's for a reason. and that reason isn't to pick a 4th starting-caliber running back on a 0-11 team!!!