1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motivation

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Miamian, Dec 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I'm lazy like a lot of people. As I'm typing this I really should already have been almost finished with my exercise routine. I need it more for my herniated disks than for general fitness.

How do you get motivated?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I don't. :lol:

Seriously I'm having issues as well...

3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    me 3....its sucks. I think about working out...I think about the extra poundage i carry, but the 24hrs tick by, and then I simpy think about it the next day.

No secret answer from me...but if anyone has it...I am all ears too!

4. anlgp

I am lifting currently and my elbows hurt. I do okay lifting the weight but maybe I'm doing it wrong? I think this plays on my motivation as well.

5. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Well, here's a possible answer. Just by coincidence I happened to download some software and I had to close my browser to do so. I couldn't surf the internet, so doing exercise gave me something to do.

Of course, I don't have tv, so that doesn't distract me.

6. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    i keep telling myself im going to start 1/1/2009.
    lets see if it happens :(

7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think about what I wana do (get stronger, bigger, whatever) or what I dont want to lose.

Sometimes it helps if you get a little pissed off about something. Competitive people can think about what the other guy's doing that's giving him an advantage in whatever (its usually women for most guys).

Read that thread JCow posted called "The Iron".

Kind of depends on what your goals are I suppose.

8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    What exercise are you doing that makes them hurt and what kind of pain is it?

9. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    First, I want to thank slick for directing more peeps to my thread on "The Iron". GREAT short-term motivation. Music, reading inspirational workout books/articles, looking critically at one's self in the mirror, thinking some guy's going to steal your woman if you don't, picturing yourself in 6 months- I've used all of these as short-term motivation.

Long term, you have to consciously make it a part of your life. As in, "I NEED THIS TO LIVE." If you don't, it's not going to stick. IMO, exercise should become almost a necessary to you as breathing, so much so that it pains you NOT to go work out. Once you have that down, the short-term motivation becomes secondary and less and less necessary.

If you need any more motivation, just think of how nice it will be to walk down the street to the local bar, have a drink AT the bar, and punch out some young punk who can't keep his mouth shut- all at 80 years old. Keep working out, and I'll buy you that drink- after we kick his @$$, of course.:wink2:

Get Up And Go, SICK and slickj101 like this.
  10. anlgp

I think they're called hammer curls where you hold the dumbell so the bell part is vertical and just curling my arms.

And it's an ow kind of pain? :lol: it's kinda dull. doesn't shoot into my hands or anything. stays right at my elbows.

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    How many reps are you doing and is it at real heavy weight?

Try keeping your arms more straight down. Might want to do a lighter weight for awhile, but it sounds like tendonitis maybe.

12. anlgp

2-3 sets of 4-5 reps of 20 lb weights

i start w/my arms down at my side and then lift until my elbows are parallel outwards then lower and repeat.

thanks btw.

might shift down to 10 lbs?

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Try 15lbs and sets of like 8-10. I think its probably tendonitis if its kind of dull and achey. I would just do what you can and let your arms get used to it. Take a few ibuprofen if needed.

Sometimes you have to work through little pains like that. Eventually your body can get over a lot of issues like that.

14. anlgp

I don't have 15s :lol: 10s it is thx

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    no prob man, good luck.

16. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Wow, this is the most that anyone's visited my threads in a long time. Hmm...what if for some reason I started to type Isr....

17. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    You might wana forget the hammer motion for awhile and just do reg straight arm curls.

anlgp likes this.
  18. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Uhm yeah, but then nobody would understand :lol:

As for motivation, as I believe Slick pointed out, paint a mental picture.

For me? I am up at 4:00 26 days out of 30 to work out.

My motivation? Two daughters, one 5 and one 2-1/2.
    When Boyfriends walk in the door for the first time, I want them ALL to say to themselves...

Holly Crap, thats your dad?

Before the girls, there was a co-worker that really motivated me. That is because she is such a conieving ***** and had such a negative impact on my work life, it helped.

Miamian likes this.