Need Hard drive space

15 replies

Zeke0123Zeke0123Forum VeteranOP
Nov 3, 2010, 02:23 PM

Ive run some HD cleaners but its not enough...any suggestions on what else I could go after...Ive deleted all unused programs etc but im still way over what I should be running...also running XP if that matters.

ERericNew Member
Nov 3, 2010, 02:34 PM

clear cookies and internet history.
and bite the bullet and delete plenty more stuff

Zeke0123Zeke0123Forum Veteran
Nov 3, 2010, 02:44 PM

"eric wrote:

clear cookies and internet history.
and bite the bullet and delete plenty more stuff

thanks...Ive done all that...my PC is like 4-5 years old so I'm sure it has saved a ton of useless garbage that I could delete just not sure where to start...ive pretty much done all the "normal" stuff that's why I am asking in here.

gilv13gilv13Forum Veteran
Nov 3, 2010, 03:00 PM

How big is your hard drive? Also, do you have a lot of media (music,pics, videos) taking of space? You could always purchase an external hard drive, or upgrade your current internal as hard drives are pretty inexpensive anymore. You can get a 1 TB for under $100.

Zeke0123Zeke0123Forum Veteran
Nov 3, 2010, 03:46 PM

Tiny.. 150..I'm not going to bother upgrading this one...its served me very well but If I can squeeze a few more months out of it I will.. but its starting to have some issues with the HD being full.

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Nov 3, 2010, 03:51 PM

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69

Very powerful app
Make sure you set a restore point before running just in case.
It has always worked great for me.
Gets those pesky temp files that Windows can't.

maynardmaynardNew Member
Nov 4, 2010, 12:48 AM

if you really dont want a new PC, get the external hard drive. i would also recommend a clean reinstall of windows and watch what you add and change some of your settings.

so my advice would be to do both. get the hard drive. move what you keep onto it and reinstall windows. you will be shocked at how fast a clean version of xp is.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." GRRM, ADWD

TiP54TiP54New Member
Nov 4, 2010, 01:54 AM

"eric wrote:

clear cookies and internet history.
and bite the bullet and delete plenty more stuff

This.

Also, are you a gamer?
Many gamers don't delete games they don't play because they don't want to lose what they had. Back up the save file, and uninstall the game. That saves ALOT.

pennphinfanpennphinfanForum Veteran
Nov 4, 2010, 02:41 AM

Get rid of the porn. :up:

mor911mor911Forum Veteran
Nov 4, 2010, 03:01 AM

"pennphinfan wrote:

Get rid of the porn. :up:

this makes no sense... Porn is probably what he needs the space for... jeez

yesssssssssssssssssss

Fin D;2829671 wrote:

As mor wisely said

FIfins4o8Forum Veteran
Nov 4, 2010, 03:02 AM

"pennphinfan wrote:

Get rid of the porn. :up:

:ban:

:)

pennphinfanpennphinfanForum Veteran
Nov 4, 2010, 03:55 AM

I didn't say delete the porn. Move it to some cds or an external. Geeze. Zip disk!

GridIronKing34GridIronKing34Forum Veteran
Nov 4, 2010, 04:22 AM

Have you deleted the programs or actually uninstalled them?

I think someone mentioned a QuickRestore or something of the sort. It's definitely worth considering... Wipe it clean and start over.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Nov 4, 2010, 07:44 AM

The porn has to go.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

Zeke0123Zeke0123Forum Veteran
Nov 4, 2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks Fellas...Ill just be getting a new one this one has done well by me.

and P.S. I stream my porn :wink2:. this rig was built only for gaming and even at 5 years old it plays fallout NV pretty well.

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
May 19, 2011, 04:54 PM

"gilv13 wrote:

How big is your hard drive? Also, do you have a lot of media (music,pics, videos) taking of space? You could always purchase an external hard drive, or upgrade your current internal as hard drives are pretty inexpensive anymore. You can get a 1 TB for under $100.


Yeah , I did that for my laptop and it is great. Tons of room , move music and movies over there and then because it is portable can take it along out of town , and mrsdolfan can connect to her laptop and use as well.... great results for really really cheap.