1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV Shows Out Right Now

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Watching The Imagineering Story on Disney Plus. Excellent documentary, touching at times. We're a big Disney family and loved every minute of this one so far. If you're not a big DIsney fan, it's still a decent documentary on the vision of Walt Disney. one of the best visionaries of last century

dolfan22 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I just got a new TV so I am catching up on some TV I missed.

I am watching Season 3 of Daredevil and I am noticing a trend.

A lot of people answer questions in a story.

"How is the weather?"

"When I was a child, I had a toy. That toy was given to me by my grandfather. My grandfather and I were very close. This upset my dad because he wanted to be the only man in my life. I did not really notice this because I was too young. One day as I was playing with my new toy, my father grew with jealous rage and beat my grandfather to death in front of me. I still remember the blood escaping from his head. It reminded me of light rain. So you see my boy, it is slightly raining outside."

AGuyNamedAlex and rafael like this.
  3. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Not a new series but just finished The Americans. Very well done, cast is good, presents opposite sides quite well.

Side note, when watching the series it really shows how our lives have changed in a short period of time. Having to use pay phones all the time for example and not just the secrecy aspect.

Claymore95 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  4. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Loved The Americans, one of those shows that didn't get enough publicity for just how good it was. Similar to Justified. Both didn't get the big ratings, why is probably why not everyone (generally) knows about them, but well worth catching for anyone who hasn't seen them. And thankfully both were able to complete their runs and finish the storylines.

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its funny how payphones went away so rapidly. I remember a time around 2003 or 04, when I was dirt poor and didn't have a cell phone yet. I traveled to another state for a weekend to visit a friend, but couldn't find his apartment. I tried to stop at convenience stores to make a call, but all of the pay phones had already been removed. I had a hell of a time finding one to track him down and get directions, and even back then he was shocked that I didn't have a phone yet.

6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    That was a great series

7. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I read this and it has me laughing good. Is there really that much random dialogue?

Lol

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He and Adam driver are my favs

9. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm finally watching the Boys and it's great.

Also Watching:
    Watchmen
    Silicon Valley
    Mandalorian

Fin D likes this.
  10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I joined Amazon Prime this week, and I'm going to check out the shows that are available. I'll eventually check out The Expanse, Jack Ryan, Good Omens, and Fleebag.

Claymore95 and adamprez2003 like this.
  11. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I've not watched Fleabag, but have seen the other 3 and there'll very good. Expanse is the best sci-fi show since Battlestar Galactica and Jack Ryan was surprisingly good (I didn't have too many expectations when I started watching it). Can't wait for the next season of the Expanse, and have still to watch S2 of Jack Ryan, but have it in my queue.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You will not like The Boys. Its violent & vulgar & bleak. I love it, but based on things you've said before don't even try it.

cuchulainn and Unlucky 13 like this.
  13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yup, I watched the trailer a few months ago and almost got sick. I'm glad they're transparent with it!

14. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    The Expanse season 4 is released on Amazon tomorrow, 13th Dec...that's my viewing for the weekend sorted!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  15. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I finished Silicon Valley and the Boys. I'm sad to see Silicon Valley go and the Boys was fantastic. I'm waiting for season 2 to drop. I just started watching Succession.

16. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I’m not really a Star Wars fan but The Mandalorian was a bucket of goodness. If this same tone & style were used throughout the Star Wars movies I’d probably be thoroughly immersed.

cuchulainn likes this.
  17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm eager to eventually watch it. Frustrated that people keep spoiling things on social media.

18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I caught up with the newest episodes of The Good Place. It is such a wonderful show. I'm very comfortable now saying that its one of my favorites of all time. Extremely smart, clever and well written. Characters that I cannot help but love and root for.

Dol-Fan Dupree and Fin D like this.
  19. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched the first three episodes of The Witcher, and I'm very pleased to say that they do it justice. Henry Cavil is an excellent Geralt, and I'm enjoying their take on the mythos of the universe that the stories are set in. Eager to watch the rest, and hopeful for many seasons.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  20. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    You're ok with all that blood and gore and violence and sex and nudity?

Did you have a second Bud Lite or something tonight? JK... Lol...

Personally, I can't stand all the grunting, scowling, and deepening of his voice that Cavil did in the series. It's like he was trying to play Arnie's Conan while using Christian Bales' voice techniques from the Dark Knight. Lol...

21. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, I did in fact have two Bud Lights before watching, but that was besides the point, lol.

I don't know if you've played The Witcher 3 video game or not, but Cavil does an excellent representation of the character, both in looks and in voice. Had he spoken like he does in Superman, it would have been really weird.

As far as the gore, I looked away a few times. In one episode, I knew exactly what was coming because I read that book as well. But monsters are easier to deal with than human dismemberment. There were some decapitations, but not much where human bodies were ripped apart. Thats the stuff I truly can't stomach.

Nudity, I never, ever said that I have a problem with!

With my kids at their grandma's the last couple of nights, it was the perfect time to get into the show. Hard to watch a lot of TVMA stuff with little ones in the next room.

Ohio Fanatic and cuchulainn like this.
  22. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Two Bud Lites? I knew it! Lol...

I don't play video games and knew nothing of the character, just found Cavil's portrayal stereotypical for the genre and hated all the grunting and deep voice stuff. Lot of over acting in the first half of the season, but it did get better as it went on, even with a lot of eye-rolling moments from my perspective.

It was amusing and entertaining tho.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am finding the episodes illegally on YouTube, however, I am hoping Harley Quinn is going to be on HBO Max as I plan on getting that. Because, wow I find the show hilarious.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I binged the Witcher. For the most part, I enjoyed the show. I am happy I was spoiled about the time jumps or I would have just been very confused. As someone who didn't read the books or play the video games, it was kind of hard following what exactly was going on at times.

I am looking forward to season 2

25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    As someone who's played the third game, easily the biggest and most popular, I can tell you that I was extremely pleased that although the showrunner says that they're adapting the books and not the game, that the first season of the show functions as an excellent prequel to TW3. The events of the show are both well in the past of the game and also basically within the canon as well.

I did truly enjoy the fact that the timeline jumps around a bit. In the third or fourth episode, I had a big A HA! moment when I put things together, and then kept noticing them from that point onward. But I do really agree that the show can be appreciated by people who know the books and game a lot more than those that do not. I was explaining things to my wife after every episode, and though I was excited about how well done it was and where they were going with it, she would have been confused to the point of being totally lost without me. She enjoys it, but said that she wouldn't have stuck it out for all eight episodes if it weren't for me.

The entire thing is really well done and in keeping with the universe. Henry Cavill simply is Geralt. He is perfectly cast. I was hesitant at first with Anya Chalotra as Yennifer, as she's very different than depictions of the character before, but she did a good job with it, and they made the first season as much her origin as anything else. I was pretty happy with the casting of Ciri until I realized that the girl playing her wasn't 12 or 13 years old, but 18. She was obviously made up to be and acted younger than she is, but I was expecting that the part would be recast in future seasons as the character ages and grows more powerful. As it stands, I have a really hard time taking the young actress (Freya Allen) as an adult version.

I was also delighted by the performace of Jodhi May as Queen Calanthe in a supporting role. She is just powerful and terrific, and I'm inspired to look for other things that she's acted in now.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I would have liked something telling me the timeline, so they didn't have to put in clunky dialog of, "It has been 10 years since I have seen you."

I listened to the Angry Joe Show afterward, as I like listening to spoiler reviews after I watch a show to see if I missed something. I had no idea that Triss Merigold was an important character.

They made a great job of making Yennifer look ugly. Generally, when you watch a show where someone goes from ugly to attractive, they look freaking hot when they are supposed to be ugly. She was a fun character and easily my favorite of the first eight episodes.

Cavill did great. I didn't see Henry Cavill, I saw Geralt.

27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I wish that they had done something regarding the timelines as well. They could have given locations and dates as text on the screen from time to time, and still had things pop up as a surprise when the time came. I just figure that this was their way of attempting to give three different characters equal importance when some of the scenes from the very get go took place something like 50 to 80 years apart. To do it in sequential order would have meant doing them mostly one by one, and not introducing Ciri until the last couple of episodes.

And yes, they really didn't do Triss justice. She's a hugely important character, and to have her just show up a couple of times, give her zero backstory or information, and then gravely wound her at the very end was crap. They could have chosen random Mage X do to all of that and just introduced her in a later season if that was the case. She's one of the five most important characters in the stories, so it was a really strange way to handle it.

Ohio Fanatic and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  28. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Currently watching:

Castle Rock season 2. I’m not sure what is happening just yet but it’s interesting.

Collateral
    Carey Mulligan is great. My complaint is that everyone in such a big city knows each other. How is that possible?

Brooklyn Nine-Nine:
    Best comedy on TV.

29. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, if you didn't know the game, you might not like his representation. after watchng the series, I went back and started playing the game. Cavill nails the character. really enjoyed both show and game

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  30. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    While I am a gamer, I haven't played any of the Witcher games. I have heard that Cavill (a big gamer himself) strictly modeled his acting on the game version and does it well. Even without that frame of reference though, I thought he was fine in the role.

The show itself isn't any kind of high art or intricately woven tapestry like the early seasons of GoT, but it's a pretty fun show. Good action sequences, decent enough acting performances, fun fantasy elements. The biggest issue is the incoherent story/timeline. I broke down after like episode 3 and just googled it all, so I didn't get surprised by the "twist" ending but it also helped make a lot more sense and enjoyable in that regard. It also helped me explain it to the wife when we hit the Calanthe scenes and she was all "Umm, isn't that chick dead?"

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  31. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    In the last week, I've binge watched the first seasons of Treadstone (Amazon) and October Faction (Netflix).

Of the two, I probably enjoyed Treadstone more, and would like to see a second season of it. It's based on the Jason Bourne world, and follows reactivated Treadstone agents around the world. It was a bit confusing at first, as there were multiple storylines, characters and time-jumps that were pretty much flung at the viewer, but it does all come together (more or less) in the end. And it was fun to try and keep up and piece it all together. I also liked that they kept the various foreign speaking parts in the original language instead of just using English for all, so there were subtitles to follow, but easy enough to do and I've always preferred subtitles to dubbing.

I sort of enjoyed October Faction too, basically a monster hunting story, with a family where the parents are members of a nationwide organisation that hunts and kills non-human creatures, which the general public are unaware of. Not the best show I've watched recently, but watchable. The ending of the last episode was a bit abrupt, with a lot of things seemingly resolved but off camera, so was left thinking a bit WTF happened then! Would watch a second season, but wouldn't exactly be devastated if it was cancelled either...

rafael and Unlucky 13 like this.
  32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Does Treadstone stick to the Bourne universe and what's happened in the movies? Or is it just the same fiction but starting over? I'm interested in it myself.

33. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    It does refer to the end of the Bourne Ultimatum film a couple of times briefly, where he went to NY to end the Blackfriar program. Mostly it's set in the world post that, along with a backstory storyline from 50 years ago where the program started.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  34. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Cool, thank you. I really enjoyed not only the Matt Damon movies, but also the one starring Jeremy Renner.

Claymore95 likes this.
  35. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
  36. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I’ve finally reached season 6 of the Americans and it’s amazing.

Claymore95 likes this.
  37. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I watched the last two episodes of the Americans last night. Sad that it's over because it's definitely one of my favorite shows of all time now but the ending was fantastic. The acting was top notch the whole time, the cinematography was great along with it's use of music. The only thing I'd say to anyone thinking about watching is that it moves pretty slow at times. If you can't deal with that it's probably not for you.

I 'm not sure what I'll watch next but I have a short list:

Mr. Robot
    Man in the High Castle
    Scream Queens
    The Witcher
    Fleabag
    Season 2 of the Terror
    Handmaiden's Tale

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Just finished Altered Carbon Season 2. Still nonsensical fun. It is good camp if you will. If season 1 didn't grab you, season 2 probably will not. Though it being shorter, it does make it tighter. There didn't feel like much filler. Anthony Mackie is a huge upgrade over Joel Kinnaman. The writing seemed better.

Big negative is lack of nudity. First season was nudity everywhere. This season, almost no nudity. Maybe it just got too popular to still have nudity. Trying to be mainstream or something.

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I tried to watch the first one. It was just too extreme for me. Loud, fast, dark (both literally and figuratavely), over the top. And it just wasn't fun. If something is going to wild like that, it needs more of a personality and a sense of humor, even a dark one. I watched two episodes then deleted it from my list.

40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I started watching season three of The Dragon Price last night, and it picks up where the last ones left off seamlessly. So fun, so well written and voice acted, and the plot keeps me glued. My wife and I binged four episodes in a row, which is easy since they're only 25 minutes long.