1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV Shows Out Right Now

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    We have different tastes. I thought the first season was super fun. Like season one Arrow fun.

texanphinatic likes this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I need to get back onto that one. I got about halfway but the ridiculously bad animation just turned me off. I read that season two they greatly improved it

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The animation isnt typical, but I wouldn't call it bad at all. It's like watching a video game. And the show is written a lot like a JRPG, which suits it.

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I expect more from what I watch than a ps2 cut scene in today's age. I liked the story.

I couldn't stand the animation.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Felt like the production value wasn't there compared to season 1, but otherwise imo your review is spot on. Concentrating everything on one world - doubly that we already spent time there - felt more constricting. But the story was still good, it was tighter, had a nice twist ending. I liked Mackie as well, though publicly it seems people are dogging him and saying they thought Kinnaman was better, but ugh he felt wooden and too laid back for most of it.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I have no idea how people thought Kinnaman was better. I thought he was terrible in the first season. By far the least interesting and competent actor and I am including Martha Higareda, who looking at her IMDB page it looks like English is her second language.

I didn't think about it but you are right. It did feel more constricting than the first season.

I also missed Quellcrist Falconer's TEDx talks.

texanphinatic likes this.
  7. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Watched:
    Hunters - Meh
    Witcher - Meh

Watching:
    Tiger King- Awesome
    Ozark Season 3 - Awesome
    Brooklyn 99- Great as always
    Walking Dead - Last 2 to 3 episodes have been the best since season 7
    The Most Dangerous Animal - So Far interesting

Coming Soon/Watching soon:
    Killing Eve
    What We do In the Shadows
    Westworld
    McMillions

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I saw that one Instagram yesterday. Its so awesome that the two of them remain best friends.

10. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I want to check this out. I looked on Spotify but it's not on there yet.

11. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    It's on Spotify now and I listened to the first episode earlier today. I love these guys and miss this show. I plan on listening to all future episodes.

12. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Picked up watching The Expanse during this quarantine. Started a little slowly, but it's gotten pretty good and interesting. The one that kind of gets me is the accents though - they are absolutely ALL OVER the place, it almost becomes distracting. Still, the acting is otherwise solid, the plot is interesting. It has enough easy "guess what's next" to alleviate the overall mystery and keep you engaged. Good stuff for sci-fi lovers.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Thank you for that. Its on my list, but I haven't started it yet.

14. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I’m watching Scream Queens. The character Chad Radwell reminds me so much of one of my good friends. His mannerisms and the way he speaks are dead on.

15. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    The Outers/Belters accent is really hard, always think it sounds similar to, or based on, Afrikaans. I love that they've authentically created an accent for people who have lived away from Earth for a long time...but it does take having to keenly listen, and sometime put the subtitles on, to pick up what they're saying!

16. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The leader guy, Dawes ... it's like he can't decide if he wants to be Russian or Scottish lol. Then there are the Martian Aussies, the Martian Cowboy and the Brit lady. It's just everywhere haha. Good show though, having fun with it, just getting to end of season 2 I think.

17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I watched most of the way through season 4. not a great series, but been good enough to watch in spurts.

18. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Been watching Brews Brothers on Netflix. new comedy about running a brewery, but with humor similar to The League. I've been loving it, but maybe because my pipe dream is to open a brewery.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am four episodes into The Midnight Gospel. It is interesting. I recommend watching it without knowing anything about it.

Bumrush likes this.
  20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    LOL, the idea of that goes against the very fiber of my being.

21. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Westworld - The cinematography and music this season were fantastic but the story was so-so. I either don't like Aaron Paul or he's a bad actor. I can't figure it out.

You're the Worst- I'm enjoying this one so far. I'm only on episode 2 of season 2.

Atlanta's Lost and Missing Children - I still need to watch the last episode but it seems like a rare miss for HBO.

22. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Zero zero zero on Amazon is fantastic. Makes Narcos look lame in comparison.

23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've caught up with the current and final season of Agents of Shield, and its a lot of fun. I always enjoy the show, but its still impressive how the writers dance around the restrictions placed on them by the MCU and still make it work in a fun and creative way.

I also finished the third season of The Dragon Prince, and it continues to be absolutely excellent. Again, its rated Y7, but absolutely would not be if it were live action. Its as much a PG13 type of show as a MCU, Star Wars or LOTR movie. I mean, in one episode a dude got shot in the face with an arrow and died, and some people were disintegrated in another. There's just no foul language, nudity or adult situations. It has a lot of energy, its well written, the characters are really well developed, and the plot over three seasons takes place over only a few weeks of actual time, so its all one big story. The showrunner wants to do seven seasons, but they left it on a big cliff hanger, so hopefully Netflix gives them at least a fourth.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I have been binging New Girl. After a rough six episodes, I think the show catches its stride. It is a very fun sitcom. I like how all the people have their own quirks but unlike Friends or Sienfield, they are mostly good people.

If you are completely alone and are only going out when necessary and miss hanging out with all of your friends, it is a good show to watch.

25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched every episode when it was new, and loved it. As you said, none of them are perfect, but they'll all likable. As the show goes on, they really hit their stride and roll with it. I also relate pretty strongly with Nick, and am about the same age as most of the actors were when the episodes were new, so it had a real pull for me.

My wife just started rewatching select episodes this week too, and I've watched a few with her for a second go.

26. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm watching Legion season 2, this show is pretty bizarre but I love it. The guy who plays Shadow King is awesome.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I watched Cursed on Netflix over the weekend. It is fine. A weird take on the Arthurian legend.

The weirdest part is that it is based on a book with Frank Miller's name on it, so I was expecting it to be very boob/butt centric and kind of misogynistic, however, it surprisingly wasn't.

I would give the series a 7.0 at this point. It is a C type series. I was entertained but not blown away. I will watch Season 2 because I am invested enough.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I added it to my list yesterday, with the prospect of watching it at some point over the next couple of years.

29. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, we streamed that last year and loved it.

Unlucky 13 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  30. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    my wife has been watching it, so I watch bits and pieces. Think we moved it to the "not going to finish" category

31. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My wife and I have abandoned a few shows like that too. Stranger Things, Umbrella Academy, Travelers, Altered Carbon, and the Netflix Marvel shows. We have a few others in our list that we put there two years ago when we first subscribed that we haven't gotten around to yet either.

We're nearly though the whole series of Sherlock, and its so good. Each episode is basically a feature film, so it takes a while. Once we're done with that, we're going to watch the second season of Lost in Space.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It is not a series I would ever get in an argument about whether it is good or not.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but I do enjoy knights and Arthurian tales.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My wife enjoyed Merlin when it was on a few years ago. (You can tell that I'm getting old when a show that ended eight years ago was fairly recent). I had high hopes for that one, but I couldn't ever get used to the extreme secrecy between the characters, and everyone hiding things from one another. That's usually a deal breaker for me.

34. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Yeah, Sherlock is definitely a top 10 TV series of all time , maybe top 5 for our family. watched the whole series twice. Lost in space is a fun series.

35. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I wouldn't go quite that far with Sherlock, but I do enjoy it. I think that the third season is clearly the best, and is really fantastic. The stories are great, and even better is the interplay between the main six or seven characters. The other seasons are up and down. Never bad, but sometimes great and sometimes ok.

36. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Season 2 of The Boys looks epic, I am not linking the scene they released last night but it was a mix of creasing myself laughing and WTAF look on my face.

If it follows the comics at all it will get quite a bit darker but they kinda overlooked a lot of the real dark crazy stuff from the comics so far

37. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Quite a bit darker??? I didn't even finish watching the trailer for the first season because it was way over the line for me, lol.

38. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Garth Ennis can be a very dark writer. You should read his series A Walk Through Hell. ;)

Only 4 episodes of You're The Worst left. The 5th season has been an oddity so far. I'm not sure where it's going yet.

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
  40. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    This is from the wiki, that mini-arc is either hilarious or horrifying for how it portrays the "supes".

"This first of the series' stand alone miniseries chronicles the Boys as they sneak into Vought's secret, exclusive annual superhero bacchanalia "Herogasm". Funded by the company on the premise of being a giant superhero battle to the public, the "heroes" spend a weekend at an island resort running wild and indulging in reckless debauchery - primarily vast amounts of sex and participating in the use of illegal drugs."

For a lot of the comics are extremely dark and disturbing but it is countered by some really dark humour that seems to make is all acceptable within that setting. The TV series so far has been toned down a lot , yeah its a bit gory and the language can be a bit harsh but its still way tamer than the books.