Norv Turner our new Offensive Coordinator??

23 replies

cobrajetcobrajetNew MemberOP
Dec 27, 2010, 01:19 PM

I think this would make perfect sense. His job is in jeopardy, his offense is stout and he is a former Dallas Cowboy like TS and JI. Also, it is not uncommon for failed Head Coaches in the NFL to drop down to being either college HC or NFL coordinators, and I don't see Norv in College. Norv Turner would have to top the list of OC's for the Dolphins.

Who would be on your list?

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Dec 27, 2010, 01:22 PM

I would love it. If Sparano stayed on getting an offensive coordinator of Norv Turner's caliber could be enough to get us to that next level. Think I'd still rather a new head coach + Norv Turner though.

CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
Dec 27, 2010, 01:23 PM

i would love it. Norv, however, has some magical ways of getting offered HC jobs though. Wouldn't be shocked if he's offered the SF job. He was their coordinator last.

cobrajetcobrajetNew Member
Dec 27, 2010, 01:26 PM

I just found this and thought you would enjoy it....

http://www.firenorv.net/

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Dec 27, 2010, 01:38 PM

I would be fine with norv or saunders. There is a handfull of names I could get behind



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

MarinePhinFanMarinePhinFanNew Member
Dec 27, 2010, 01:44 PM

I would love to have Norv back as a Dolphin!

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them. ----George Bernard Shaw

calphincalphinNew Member
Dec 27, 2010, 01:45 PM

Pass...sick of the Cowboy connection. time to look another direction.


Thanks Gish

CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
Dec 27, 2010, 02:28 PM

"calphin wrote:

Pass...sick of the Cowboy connection. time to look another direction.


that was a very long time ago. He's coached/coordinated the niners, raiders, redskins, dolphins, and chargers since then.

bbqpitloverbbqpitloverForum Veteran
Dec 27, 2010, 03:05 PM

Why would you want to bring this guy back into Miami he did a horrible job the first time around. I will pass on this one look forward not backwards.

2socks2socksForum Veteran
Dec 27, 2010, 03:12 PM

I must be missing something here. Maybe the acceptance of a mediocre OC is part of the problem here. Norv Turner??? Are you kidding??? He is on his 3rd or 4th job in 5 years and you guys want to bring this guy in........for what??---- more mediocrity????

Sh*t in = Sh*t out

Winning isn't everything - it's the only thing
In Our Business there is no second place
Either your first or your last

Vince Lombardi

gilv13gilv13Forum Veteran
Dec 27, 2010, 03:15 PM

"bbqpitlover wrote:

Why would you want to bring this guy back into Miami he did a horrible job the first time around. I will pass on this one look forward not backwards.


please elaborate as I am curious on why he did a horrible job. If we had a chance at Norv, I say we pull a Nolan and get him on a plane ASAP and not let him leave until we have a deal worked out.

ALalen1New Member
Dec 27, 2010, 03:16 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

I would be fine with norv or saunders. There is a handfull of names I could get behind


Not sure about Saunders but I'm with Norv.

bbqpitloverbbqpitloverForum Veteran
Dec 27, 2010, 03:54 PM

"gilv13 wrote:

please elaborate as I am curious on why he did a horrible job. If we had a chance at Norv, I say we pull a Nolan and get him on a plane ASAP and not let him leave until we have a deal worked out.


Are you serious he was fired as oc of the dolphins because of his bad play calling, He was just like Henning very conservative calls like running a screen with 12 seconds left with no time outs, that was what Turner was like Miami.

Check this out.

Turner, who became the Dolphins' offensive coordinator in 2002, was 49-59-1 in six-plus seasons as the Washington Redskins' head coach before being fired late in the 2000 season. Turner also interviewed for the head coach vacancy in Tampa Bay in 2002 before joining the Dolphins.

The Dolphins finished 24th in total offense in 2003, which is the franchise's second-worst ranking in the past 23 seasons. But Ricky Williams had the two most prolific rushing seasons in franchise history under Turner.

SamphinSamphinNew Member
Dec 27, 2010, 04:02 PM

Norv did okay his last go round here. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure he was the coordinator when Ricky ran for 1800 yards in 2002. The staple run play was the counter trey or something similar to it.

We scored an average of 23.6 points a game. Not great, but much better than this year's scoring output. We also went 9-7 and missed the playoffs after questionable offensive playcalling in the final game against New England where, instead of running the ball deep in our own territory, we elected to pass three times, for three incompletions, failing to force New England to use their timeouts. We followed that up with a horrid Mark Royals punt that let the Patriots come down and kick the game winning field goal and toss us right out of the playoffs.

Count me in the "meh" category when it comes to Turner. He does well when he has a ton of talent to wortk with. He doesn't make them better, he just doesn't make them worse. I think we need someone a tad more creative who can playcall to out strengths as opposed to simply relying on over the top talent that may or may not be there. I would LOVE Gary Kubiak if he becomes available.

This assumes that Tony stays...which doesn't seem likely.

MarinePhinFanMarinePhinFanNew Member
Dec 27, 2010, 04:04 PM

"2socks wrote:

I must be missing something here. Maybe the acceptance of a mediocre OC is part of the problem here. Norv Turner??? Are you kidding??? He is on his 3rd or 4th job in 5 years and you guys want to bring this guy in........for what??---- more mediocrity????

Sh*t in = Sh*t out

He's on his 3rd in 7 years.

Turner is one o fthose guys who isn't a great HC but is a great OC.

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them. ----George Bernard Shaw

GarryowenGarryowenNew Member
Dec 27, 2010, 05:08 PM

"MarinePhinFan wrote:

I would love to have Norv back as a Dolphin!

I'd love to have him back.

TOTorontoFANNew Member
Dec 27, 2010, 07:38 PM

Norv is top 5 playcallers in the league imo, would be great addition as o coordinator.

TOTorontoFANNew Member
Dec 27, 2010, 07:42 PM

"bbqpitlover wrote:

Are you serious he was fired as oc of the dolphins because of his bad play calling, He was just like Henning very conservative calls like running a screen with 12 seconds left with no time outs, that was what Turner was like Miami.

Check this out.

Turner, who became the Dolphins' offensive coordinator in 2002, was 49-59-1 in six-plus seasons as the Washington Redskins' head coach before being fired late in the 2000 season. Turner also interviewed for the head coach vacancy in Tampa Bay in 2002 before joining the Dolphins.

The Dolphins finished 24th in total offense in 2003, which is the franchise's second-worst ranking in the past 23 seasons. But Ricky Williams had the two most prolific rushing seasons in franchise history under Turner.


O-line was terrible as was much of the offense in those years. Not to mention the passing game consisted of Fiedler throwing to Chambers, a young McMike and not much else. Norv is light years ahead of Henning, I'm really hoping the Chargers can him and he catches on here.

SMsmhemiSupporter
Dec 27, 2010, 07:46 PM

Ill take Gary Kubiak once he gets fired from the texans

DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Dec 27, 2010, 07:50 PM

Been there done that, he rode Ricky hard other than that we did nothing special while he was here for two years.

Lets get fresh faces these old dogs are tiresome.

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Dec 27, 2010, 08:05 PM

Norv keeping job per PFT. Move on fellas

dolphan197dolphan197New Member
Dec 28, 2010, 12:45 AM
Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Dec 28, 2010, 07:18 AM

I'd rather have someone with some new ideas around here. Recycling the same bunch of guys around the league is not going to get us anything.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

DolfanJakeDolfanJakeNew Member
Dec 28, 2010, 07:34 AM

"bbqpitlover wrote:

Why would you want to bring this guy back into Miami he did a horrible job the first time around. I will pass on this one look forward not backwards.

Yeah he was pedestrian at best the 1st time he was here. I'll pass.

The home of The English Rugby Club - http://www.rfu.com/