Official Miami Hurricanes Thread 2
6691 replies
Wait....
"Plenty of Jon Gruden not headed to the University of Miami talk coming out. Translation: The money ain't to his liking just yet. Stay tuned."
Omar Kelly/Twitter
I hope that's the case. $3 million never sounded like enough to me anyway.
Follow me on twitter. Or don't @Adam_Vaccaro
I still have faith it's him...his 'statement' didn't say a direct 'no' to taking the Canes job. Just sayin.
You guys are misinterpreting Omar Kelly’s opinion as fact. He’s been saying over the weekend that Gruden wants $4 million a year. As in, Kelly thinks he wants $4 million a year. So when $3 million a year gets floated publicly and Gruden says he wants to stay on Monday Night Football, Omar adds 1 plus 1 together and gets “oh, he’s just holding out for another million bucks a year.”
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
In contrast, people who have (or at least claim to have) sources say that Gruden is done, all terms agreed to, for $3.2 million a year. Board of Trustees still needs to be notified. There’s way too much chatter here for this not to be true.
And in case it’s not, or it falls through, the same guy says UM isn’t interested in Leach (told you, Alen), Richt, or Malzahn.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Desides wrote:
In contrast, people who have (or at least claim to have) sources say that Gruden is done, all terms agreed to, for $3.2 million a year. Board of Trustees still needs to be notified. There’s way too much chatter here for this not to be true.
And in case it’s not, or it falls through, the same guy says UM isn’t interested in Leach (told you, Alen), Richt, or Malzahn.
It's a mistake that they are not interested in Leach IMO.
"alen1 wrote:
It's a mistake that they are not interested in Leach IMO.
It’s a mistake in that they’re eliminating from the search a very good coach, sure. But it’s not a mistake to them, because they think they can get just as good if not better a coach who won’t get into national controversies over putting a kid by himself in a room and suing the organization that employs said kid’s father.
They want to avoid controversy. “The U” documentary was considered a negative portrayal of the school. They want to get as far away from the ‘80s renegade “Raiders of the NCAA” rep as possible. That means not giving anyone any excuses, which means no Leach.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Jon Gruden. Personally, I just don't believe that Miami would sign someone that high profile, and not because they don't want to. I think they'd sign him yesterday if possible. They're getting all the monies ready to pay his contract. The sticking point is the cost of Gruden's staff. People who know people who know people say that detail is what's holding up the signing. Gruden won't coach at Miami if the school can't pay for the best assistant coaches, something Miami hasn't done in the history of the football program.
So call me pessimistic and negative, but its not going to happen. The Board, AD, President even the dude in the Sebastian the Ibis costume wants Gruden, but reality is Miami is NOT going to pay for a $5-6M staff. Understand also that the school is in the middle of a construction drive to improve the on-campus facilities and the revenues from the new ACC deal won't materialize until next season.
I also don't know how prudent it is to sign Gruden with Jim Harbaugh out there. I wasn't a believer until Desides and I spoke on the topic. He's great and he has all the experience of getting kids to qualify, playing in a non-football town, etc.

"Lab3003 wrote:
I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Jon Gruden. Personally, I just don't believe that Miami would sign someone that high profile, and not because they don't want to. I think they'd sign him yesterday if possible. They're getting all the monies ready to pay his contract. The sticking point is the cost of Gruden's staff. People who know people who know people say that detail is what's holding up the signing. Gruden won't coach at Miami if the school can't pay for the best assistant coaches, something Miami hasn't done in the history of the football program.
So call me pessimistic and negative, but its not going to happen. The Board, AD, President even the dude in the Sebastian the Ibis costume wants Gruden, but reality is Miami is NOT going to pay for a $5-6M staff. Understand also that the school is in the middle of a construction drive to improve the on-campus facilities and the revenues from the new ACC deal won't materialize until next season.
To be fair, this can be solved with a short-term loan. A freaking university is good for the money, and with QE2 going on, it’s not like there’s a shortage of money to lend out. :shifty:
I also don't know how prudent it is to sign Gruden with Jim Harbaugh out there. I wasn't a believer until Desides and I spoke on the topic. He's great and he has all the experience of getting kids to qualify, playing in a non-football town, etc.
:up: Glad you saw the light. Guy is a great college coach. Could be a good NFL coach one day as well. If the Gruden thing falls through for monetary reasons, luring Harbaugh with a chunk of that $3.2 million shouldn’t be difficult at all.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
I still say Don Shulala has a shot...
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
"alen1 wrote:
It's a mistake that they are not interested in Leach IMO.
They were interested in him last time. I was told his interview did not go well though.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2010/11/making-sense-of-gruden-coaching-search.html
Some stuff from Navvaro, most of it we've heard before but I found a few things I thought were interesting.
The Canes have already done the research of the economic impact Gruden would have in terms of season ticket sales. Plus, there is the money donors and others have promised should UM snag a huge fish like Gruden.
This along with other things said really implies they arn't going to let money get in the way for a big coach hire which seems to be a departure from how they previously did things.
Also has anyone heard Jim Harbaugh name at all? I know you guys bring him up alot but I havn't see a single report out that that says anything. Is he on their rader at all? I do remember reading somewhere that the U wanted to wait to see if a highly ranked BCS teams coach would be interested in coming(though that would be several people).
I wouldn't get your hopes up on Gruden guys. I don't see it happening.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
Now that TCU is moving to the Big East, I suspect Patterson would be out of the running, if he ever was considered a possibility.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
"gunsmithx wrote:
Also has anyone heard Jim Harbaugh name at all? I know you guys bring him up alot but I havn't see a single report out that that says anything. Is he on their rader at all? I do remember reading somewhere that the U wanted to wait to see if a highly ranked BCS teams coach would be interested in coming(though that would be several people).
I haven’t seen anything linking Harbaugh to the coaching search. I’ve seen (and posted) names that are NOT on UM’s list, so the best I can say is that Harbaugh has not been confirmed as being crossed off our list. But then again, neither has Bobby Bowden, so that’s an unreliable method of inference.
"Stringer Bell wrote:
Now that TCU is moving to the Big East, I suspect Patterson would be out of the running, if he ever was considered a possibility.
It’s a mistake to assume a) that Patterson is on the list, and b) that he’s automatically happy with a move to the Big East.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Desides wrote:
But then again, neither has Bobby Bowden, so that’s an unreliable method of inference.
So your saying Bobby will be the next UM coach? :lol:
"gunsmithx wrote:
So your saying Bobby will be the next UM coach? :lol:
He fits the criteria… :shifty:
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
If UM really is willing to offer $3.4M, then they can have almost anyone not named Saban, Farentz, Stoops, Brown, or Tressell. If that price point is true. And to be honest I would rather have a guy like Chip Kelly over a guy like Gruden.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
"Stringer Bell wrote:
If UM really is willing to offer $3.4M, then they can have almost anyone not named Saban, Farentz, Stoops, Brown, or Tressell. If that price point is true. And to be honest I would rather have a guy like Chip Kelly over a guy like Gruden.
I tend to believe the $3.2 million figure. $3.4 is a little much, and I’m sure Hocutt made the point that it’s an extra $200k that can go towards his staff.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
I wouldn't mind Gruden at all cause I think he has an intelligence about the game that few coaches have but I think I would like a more proven college coach.
Hocutt said he compiled a list of candidates in the past few days and has chosen Chuck Neinas, a headhunter for college coaching hires and consultant, to help with a national search.
According to multiple UM sources, former NFL coach Jon Gruden is high on the list and there's mutual interest. One source said Gruden wants the job and initiated contact with UM...
Hocutt's list also is believed to include Georgia coach Mark Richt and Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville, both of whom have ties to the Hurricanes, as well as TCU coach Gary Patterson, Connecticut coach Randy Edsall and Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen.
Hocutt said a connection to UM is not a prerequisite. He added that hiring someone with head coaching experience is "important but not essential."
Hocutt said there's no timeline on the hire and that money will not be an issue in the selection.
Don't know if it's posted yet.
The "mutual interest" between the program and Gruden is noteworthy. I'd be happy with Tuberville, and Patterson has to be a prime target.
Not so much Richt, though. I think he's overrated as a HC.
Gary Patterson! YES!
Update: It's all but a done deal.
http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/gruden-to-miami-rumors-persist-sides-close-on-3-year-10-2m-deal/
Gruden To Miami Rumors Persist: Sides Talking 3-Year, $10.2M Deal
By Chuck Carroll
»Football News Now Staff Writer» November 28, 2010 - 11:02 pm
A new report suggests the initial figures of Jon Gruden’s rumored salary with the University of Miami were low.Per Sports Journey radio host Lake Lewis who first broke the story Sunday afternoon, the University of Miami and Gruden were discussing a three-year, $10.2 million deal.
Mean muggin' John!
they "were" discussing? who the **** is lake lewis? until its announced, i wont believe it.
Co-Host of the Welcome to Perfectville Podcast

