On Dawn Aponte: "She is the Dolphins, she runs the show"
78 replies
i doubt a single contract conversation takes place without her. Its kind of her job.
"Den54 wrote:
It's only a story because she's a woman.
Not true.
You really think a bunch of GM candidates turned down the job because they didn't want to work with a woman? It was because they didn't want to answer to her and have her make financial decisions. Most people around the league in her positions just do as the GM wants, they make the contracts work and find creative ways to stay under the cap. While I'll admit we are sitting pretty cap wise (and have for a few years) and she has done a decent job it is apparent who wears the pants and it ain't Hickey. If you think anything otherwise than take the veil that Stephen Ross and the Dolphins PR cast off your head.
Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!
"UCF FINatic wrote:
Not true.
You really think a bunch of GM candidates turned down the job because they didn't want to work with a woman? It was because they didn't want to answer to her and have her make financial decisions. Most people around the league in her positions just do as the GM wants, they make the contracts work and find creative ways to stay under the cap. While I'll admit we are sitting pretty cap wise (and have for a few years) and she has done a decent job it is apparent who wears the pants and it ain't Hickey. If you think anything otherwise than take the veil that Stephen Ross and the Dolphins PR cast off your head.
Please prove the things in bold.
Typical Dolphins reaction throughout the course of a month regarding Aponte and Hickey that is quite comical:
Stage 1: overreact (State the person should be fired/is qualified or will lead us to the promise land )
Stage 2: Apathy (Well it can't get worse than it has can it?)
Stage 3: Turn on media (They are only taking heat because of our bastard media coverage)
Stage 4: repeat
Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!
"Fin D wrote:
Please prove the things in bold.
How can I prove that without being insides the Dolphins organization with direct knowledge of the situation and dialogue between the two? Additionally, how can you disprove what I said without the same?
I am a rational man and when there is smoke there is fire. I can read the tea leaves and you should be able to as well given the knowledge that is out there. We are in a good financial situation, have a young up and coming QB, overall a young team with a decent amount of talent and yet potential GM candidates turned down our job in record numbers. That hell-hole Jacksonville was able to get one of their top GM (and coaching) candidates, while we sat in a much better position and routinely got turned down until we settled on someone that was likely going to be fired by his current organization... Keep on believing what Ross and the PR says though.
Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!
And yet the only thing that matters is next year's record.
How well Hickey, Philbin and Aponte work together is much more important than who's in charge. I'm more interested in how many draft picks will actually be healthy enough to participate in OTAs.
It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. ~ John Wooden
"MrClean wrote:
Not yet, officially, has he?
I thought so Unofficially..:shifty:

Grimes franchised?? Doesn't sound like it happened or will happen. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327349/article/miami-dolphins-unlikely-to-franchise-brent-grimes
Dawn Aponte is not the football czar of the Dolphins. She handles contracts and legal matters, and that job on an NFL team is enormous. If she were the all powerful decision maker some you delusionally imagine, the Dolphins would have to hire someone else to do what she is now doing because it would obviously be too much for one person to do.
The whole premise is absurd.
Aponte is an accountant by day and a snitch by night. Although snitches usually get stitches, Ross isn't caught up on the whole inmate culture yet in Miami so he promoted her instead.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"keith075 wrote:
Aponte is an accountant by day and a snitch by night. Although snitches usually get stitches, Ross isn't caught up on the whole inmate culture yet in Miami so he promoted her instead.
:no:
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
So the person whose job it is to handle the financial side of the team is in charge of handling contracts? WOOOOAHHHHH, usual sexist journo BS trying to make a story that isnt there.
"UCF FINatic wrote:
How can I prove that without being insides the Dolphins organization with direct knowledge of the situation and dialogue between the two?
You can't. That's my point.
"UCF FINatic wrote:
Additionally, how can you disprove what I said without the same?
I didn't make any statements of fact without knowledge like you did.
"UCF FINatic wrote:
I am a rational man and when there is smoke there is fire. I can read the tea leaves and you should be able to as well given the knowledge that is out there. We are in a good financial situation, have a young up and coming QB, overall a young team with a decent amount of talent and yet potential GM candidates turned down our job in record numbers. That hell-hole Jacksonville was able to get one of their top GM (and coaching) candidates, while we sat in a much better position and routinely got turned down until we settled on someone that was likely going to be fired by his current organization... Keep on believing what Ross and the PR says though.
You are not a rational man, if you think a rational man jumps to the conclusions that you have.
"Fin D wrote:
You can't. That's my point.
I didn't make any statements of fact without knowledge like you did.
You are not a rational man, if you think a rational man jumps to the conclusions that you have.
Believe what you want man... It's comical that you and other people think the ONLY reason GM candidates avoided our job like the plague was because we have a women in that position.
It has a lot more to do with the structure of our organization and who answers to who. No GM wanted to play second fiddle.
Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!
"UCF FINatic wrote:
Believe what you want man... It's comical that you and other people think the ONLY reason GM candidates avoided our job like the plague was because we have a women in that position.
It has a lot more to do with the structure of our organization and who answers to who. No GM wanted to play second fiddle.
Most GMs play second fiddle
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
I don't see this as a problem. She's highly respected and experienced, and cap/contracts is her department. I doubt she's getting involved in player acquisition beyond that. By all accounts they're getting along (as Ross stipulated) so no problem here.
It's hard for me to automatically assign demerits to her for simultaneously wanting to ascend (isn't that a positive?) and not wanting to work under Jeff Ireland - - who few people seemed to get along with, and tried to have her fired for it.
Frankly, it's early and I trust her more than Hickey right now. Her history suggests she's a highly competent and capable executive.
Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Make the throwback uniforms permanent!
Hickey's is getting his feet wet as a first year GM. He can't fire coaches and he can't do player contracts but he has final say over all players.
Sherif
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
Most GMs play second fiddle
To the owner...
Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!
"UCF FINatic wrote:
To the owner...
or to the coach, or to the VP of football operations
GMs with total power are the minority in the NFL
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
anything to continue the national narrative that miami is the biggest joke of a franchise around.
"Muck wrote:
I don't see this as a problem. She's highly respected and experienced, and cap/contracts is her department. I doubt she's getting involved in player acquisition beyond that. By all accounts they're getting along (as Ross stipulated) so no problem here.
It's hard for me to automatically assign demerits to her for simultaneously wanting to ascend (isn't that a positive?) and not wanting to work under Jeff Ireland - - who few people seemed to get along with, and tried to have her fired for it.
Frankly, it's early and I trust her more than Hickey right now. Her history suggests she's a highly competent and capable executive.
Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
I'm not saying she hasn't done a good job. I actually think she has done a great job. That being said, the question is do you value her over someone that is an elite talent evaluator? I think clearly her influence and position in the power structure scared away a lot of GM candidates that wanted the typical NFL structure where the capologist answers to them.
Again, reports came out that when we hired Hickey that we was a generally likeable, easy-going guy, that gets along well with others. Probably one of the reasons we hired him is due to this fact since it would allow him to work within the system and front office structure (with Philbin and Aponte). Now, if we valued those traits over his ability to evaluate talent then this hire will come to fruition as huge failure. Which unfortunately I think will happen.
Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
or to the coach, or to the VP of football operations
GMs with total power are the minority in the NFL
There are very few GM's that answer to coaches and in those cases the coaches also have the GM title, same situation with the VP of football operations. You are listing exceptions not the norm.
Executive Vice President/General Manager – John Schneider (Seahawks)
Executive Vice President/General Manager – Mickey Loomis (Saints)
Executive Vice President/General Manager/Director of Football Operations – Ted Thompson (Packers)
Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager – Martin Mayhew (Lions)
General Manager/Executive Vice President – Bruce Allen (Redskins)
Senior Vice President/General Manager – Jerry Reese (Giants)
Owner/President/General Manager – Jerry Jones (Cowboys)
Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager – John Elway (Broncos)
Executive Vice President/General Manager – Ruston Webster (Titans)
Executive Vice President/General Manager – Rick Smith (Texans)
General Manager/Executive Vice President – Ozzie Newsome (Ravens)
Head Coach/General Manager – Bill Belichick (Patriots)
All those guys have the titles that you said the GM's answer to, ironically they all have the GM title as well. So technically they are answering to themselves as a GM, not the other way around. All 20 other teams have typical structures where the General Manager is directly below the Owner, President, and CEO (although these positions don't typically make football decisions). Why do you think Elway was named "Executive Vice President of Football Operations" when they hired him and then later promoted to "General Manager" when he did a good job? It may be schematics to you, but it is very important when you are making decisions that will impact your team for the next 10+ years.
Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!
"LBsFinest wrote:
Shut up!!!! They hate us!!!!!!
I hate them right now
Winning isn't everything - it's the only thing
In Our Business there is no second place
Either your first or your last
Vince Lombardi
Whenever I'm left to form an opinion based off remarks quoted from some unrevealed "source", these days with increasing frequency, my opinion is derived from the context of the questions that prompt such remarks, and consequently, the degree they can accurately be weighed.
"defer"
v. yield to another's wish or opinion
Synonyms:
accede, bow, give in, submit
"refer"
v. seek information from
"refer to your notes"
Synonyms:
consult, look up
Type of:
research
attempt to find out in a systematically and scientific manner
